Rome 2 total war sold over 800,000 at end of Sept. 30

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

In around three weeks after its launch it sold around this much copies

Sega has announced that The Creative Assembly’s strategy title Total War: Rome 2 has sold over 800,000 units since launch. revealed as part of the firm’s earnings report for the six-month period ending September 30.

Sega also outlined a profit of ¥1.11 billion ($11.24 million) for its consumer sector, which includes its games business. The game was already on track to be one of the biggest selling in the franchise, judging by the pre-order numbers.

It came out in September and already received four patches since launch.

This game did not live up to expectation

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I heard/read the game didn't live up to it's name? I tried to get into the series with TW Medieval, but it was boring to me personally.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

The game is a pile of crap when I played it. Horrible frame rate making the game unplayable and a total downgrade from their demos.

Don't know if they ever fixed it.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

It´s not the best selling,it´s the fastest selling,and 800k in less than 3 weeks is pretty great,easily already over 1M right now.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheFadeForever

@MrYaotubo: I think at this point it might be the best so far

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrYaotubo

@TheFadeForever said:

@MrYaotubo: I think at this point it might be the best so far

The original Rome sold over 4M copies and Empire over 3M,Rome 2 may get there though.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheFadeForever

@MrYaotubo: how much did the TW franchsie sell overall?

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrYaotubo

@TheFadeForever said:

@MrYaotubo: how much did the TW franchsie sell overall?

No idea,the only numbers I´ve seen before were for those two,though Shogun 2 was already the fastest selling when it came out as well,so I don´t know,probably over 10M copies overall maybe.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

four patches well aleast now its plays better

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1578 Posts

The total war saga died with Empire with it's godawful new look and theme. Shogun 2 and Rome 2 where just as bad and a waste of money. The original Rome and Medieval 2 where true total war games and it's a shame that they moved down a different path that ruined the total war name. I hoped Rome 2 would save the total war games but sadly, it failed. R.I.P Total War

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

The game is still new and you'retalking sales?? This isn't a console game, pc games traditionally sell more over time rather than a mad rush upon release. Add to that TW bad release reputation 800k is amazing. It's still constantly on the steam best sellers list, in fact I don't think it's been off it since release. It's also a completely different game performance wise vs the release version. It's a fantastic game. I love it.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The game came out ina sorry state. IT should have been released March 2014 instead. The patches have improved things, but the battle AI is still a big issue. And the whole internal politics system leaves much to be desired.

IT still enjoyable to play, but personally, I'm waiting for patch 7 to come out before starting a new campaign.

So I'm conflicted. I love the series, I want ti to succeed. But I'm very angry the game was rushed. I hope they get their shit together come time for an expansion or the next TW game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I heard/read the game didn't live up to it's name? I tried to get into the series with TW Medieval, but it was boring to me personally.

Nah, the game is great. The game just had an awful launch and should've been postponed. The state it was launched in was unacceptable.

@Kinthalis said:

The game came out ina sorry state. IT should have been released March 2014 instead. The patches have improved things, but the battle AI is still a big issue. And the whole internal politics system leaves much to be desired.

IT still enjoyable to play, but personally, I'm waiting for patch 7 to come out before starting a new campaign.

So I'm conflicted. I love the series, I want ti to succeed. But I'm very angry the game was rushed. I hope they get their shit together come time for an expansion or the next TW game.

What is patch 7 fixing and when is it coming ?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

the fact it did manage to sell 800000 in this broken mess it was at launch is rather a feat. Of course i expect to fix most issues in the coming weeks but i hope CA to learn so that next installation wont be this broken mess otherwise it will hurt the franchise

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It's easily one of the best games of 2013, so it's nice to see it doing well.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kinthalis

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah, the game is great. The game just had an awful launch and should've been postponed. The state it was launched in was unacceptable.

@Kinthalis said:

What is patch 7 fixing and when is it coming ?

A beta should be hititng next week, with a full release probably a week after that. It's supposed to tackle battle AI and performance issues.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kinthalis

@adamosmaki said:

the fact it did manage to sell 800000 in this broken mess it was at launch is rather a feat. Of course i expect to fix most issues in the coming weeks but i hope CA to learn so that next installation wont be this broken mess otherwise it will hurt the franchise

That's what I'm afraid off, that the franchise will suffer because of these terrible launches. Same thing happened with Empire. Shogun 2 was a lot better, but still not excellent. The franchise brings in money. They need to leanr to elt it bake a little longer. It seems like just a few months more would have done the trick.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PurpleMan5000

@Kinthalis said:

@adamosmaki said:

That's what I'm afraid off, that the franchise will suffer because of these terrible launches. Same thing happened with Empire. Shogun 2 was a lot better, but still not excellent. The franchise brings in money. They need to leanr to elt it bake a little longer. It seems like just a few months more would have done the trick.

I think Shogun 2 and Empire are the best in the series. Empire was awful at launch, though, just like Rome 2. This gives me hope that maybe CA can fix the glaring problems with the AI, which is really all that needs to be done to make Rome 2 the best game in the series.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

That's way too much for a broken,unoptimized and unfinished game.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000

@ShepardCommandr said:

Not really. It's still a great game.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

If you stopped playing before any of the patches, you could call it that I guess.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#22 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58850 Posts

Bad game, Shogun 2 is leagues better.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

A beta should be hititng next week, with a full release probably a week after that. It's supposed to tackle battle AI and performance issues.

Looking forward to it.

@Kinthalis said:

The worst thing was: most of the performance issues people were having were fixed in 2-3 days. If that is so, they should have delayed the game, because it's not like delaying 2-3 days is as bad as releasing it in the state it was in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58850 Posts

Sega is making the franchise take a nose dive, just as they destroyed Company Of heroes 2 with FMV's from 1999 and £100 worth of dlc spammage and a £39.99 price tag. Since Total War is one of the most mature, educational, groundbreaking innovative and ambitious series in existence, it''s something of a tragedy.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kinthalis

I'm sure Sega WAS the main issue here, probably forcing a release even though the game wasn't ready. Specially when it's clear the delay was in the order of weeks to a couple of months, not even an entire quarter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Its 800,000 a good number now? Why are consoles games that sell over 1 million considered flops now? And exclusives, mind you, so dont use the "they're in more then one platform" excuse

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Its 800,000 a good number now? Why are consoles games that sell over 1 million considered flops now? And exclusives, mind you, so dont use the "they're in more then one platform" excuse

who's been calling them flops?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@lawlessx said:

@Vatusus said:

who's been calling them flops?

fanboys, mainly

They call Killzone 3 and infamous 2 flops because they only sold around 1,5 million

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kinthalis

@Vatusus said:

Were you born an idiot, or did your idiot mother drop you on your head when you were little? The game has been out for a few weeks.

Yet you're trying to compare lifetime sales of mainstream console games with 10 times the development budget, and likely 100 times the marketing one?

Grow the f up. Hell, the numbers pretty roughly mathc up with Killzone 3's. A game that cost a heck of a lot more to make and market and is a main Sony franchise of an incredibly popualr genre vs a PC exclusive of a grand strategy game... Hmmmm.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@Kinthalis: were you born a d!ck or did your redneck mother taught you how to be one?

You come with insults for no reason whatsoever and ask others to grow up? look irony

To answer your original question, probably budget issues. Dead Space 3 & Tomb Raider needed like 5m sales each to break even... I doubt Sega pump that much money into anything, to be honest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Kinthalis: If I'm a troll then my job here is done. You sound mad and you'll probably be banned for the sh!t you wrote.

peace

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kinthalis

@Vatusus said:

@Kinthalis: If I'm a troll then my job here is done. You sound mad and you'll probably be banned for the sh!t you wrote.

peace

I'm going to be banned for calling you an idiot? lol. You're the one that started wiht the d!ck stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Kinthalis: Nope, you're going to be banned for calling my mom an "idiot" and, indirectly, your "lover". If thats not reason for banning than SW is beyond any hope

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kinthalis

@Vatusus said:

@Kinthalis: Nope, you're going to be banned for calling my mom an "idiot" and, indirectly, your "lover". If thats not reason for banning than SW is beyond any hope

Why do you gotta hate on your step dad man. I have feelings too.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kinthalis

@Vatusus said:

OK, I guess I was being a bit fo a dick, even if you are a bit fo a troll.

I apologize.

(your mom is making me type this).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Kinthalis: And you're telling others to grow up... lol da irony