Rocket League Free Weekend/Sale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Steam is currently holding a free weekend for Rocket League, as well as having the game on sale for $12

If for some reason you haven't played what was probably the biggest recent indie hit, now's you chance

The headline says everything you need to know! Starting today, April 21 at 10am Pacific, Rocket League is FREE TO PLAY for all users regardless if you’ve bought it or not. If you are one of those players who has yet to purchase Rocket League, however, then you can grab it at a discount of 40% off until 10am on April 25.

If you’re already an owner of Rocket League, we’ve got you covered too, as ALL bundles and DLC are also on sale for 20% off!

The “Free Weekend” access through Steam ends on Sunday, April 24 at 1pm Pacific. Enjoy the influx of new players everyone — and if you’re new to Rocket League altogether, then welcome to the family!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/?snr=1_4_4__40_1

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#2 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

There's also a new hoops mode coming next week, I believe. And Promotional NBA DLC.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

The game isn't that good. Still don't understand the love for it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I'm all Rocket League burn-out. Played the hell out of it when I got it for free with PS+ last year.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Don't need it got it for free through PS+.

Best.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

If you haven't played it, buy it, it's the one game you could probably play forever.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#7 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

It's simple.

Bad taste or friends.

Or both :)

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@illmatic87: What? Are you saying I have bad taste? Or people who like it do? Also friends? What? Lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts
@primorandomguy said:

I agree. Its very cool game but the hype is insane. At least it enables the dev to make more games in the future, which is a good thing

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Im for ever thankful that i got this game as a give away from PSN+ because I honestly would have never even looked at it much less paid for it.

Because of the PSN+ give away i really the reason this game took off and is what it is today.

I still play it just about every day, awesome game, loving the support have been giving it. The PSN community for this game is great too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@davillain- said:

I'm all Rocket League burn-out. Played the hell out of it when I got it for free with PS+ last year.

Same.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

I got this game on PS3.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Pedro said:
@primorandomguy said:

I agree. Its very cool game but the hype is insane. At least it enables the dev to make more games in the future, which is a good thing

they hit a cord in the gaming community;something that is very rare for a indie. I aways love to hearing news about a indie team doing well..helps encourage me to get off my ass and work on my own damm game

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I have close to 200 hours in the game at this point. I got it when it came out, played it for a month, then put it down until a good friend of mine picked it up a bit later. Since then we play a bit maybe 4-5 days every week. Its a game you an play for 15 minutes of for hours on end.

one of the few case where the hype is earned. the game has serious legs.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

It's fun on the PC. The game is glorious for shit talking.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Thank goodness SONY gave it with PSN+ at release and put that sum'bitch on the map.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Heil68: @kend0_kap0ni: Lets please not say this. The fact Sony giving it away for free didnt help the Rocket League sales much on PS4 is proof it was a failed business opportunity.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68

@iandizion713 said:

@Heil68: @kend0_kap0ni: Lets please not say this. The fact Sony giving it away for free didnt help the Rocket League sales much on PS4 is proof it was a failed business opportunity.

sure it did, it put the game on the map, plus it got sales after the PSN+ deal. Dont fool yourself, when you are current gen 8 console leader, you are a mover and shaker in the industry,

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@Heil68: I disagree. I think Streamers, critics, fans, and a dry summer month for PC helped this game out. When a studio jokes like this,

theyre usually being very, very serious.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx

@Heil68 said:
@iandizion713 said:

sure it did, it put the game on the map, plus it got sales after the PSN+ deal. Dont fool yourself, when you are current gen 8 console leader, you are a mover and shaker in the industry,

the devs made it very clear that while being on the PSN+ helped with exposure of the game it did not pay the bills. Don't fool yourself in thinking game developers enjoy not getting paid for their work

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lawlessx said:
@Heil68 said:
@iandizion713 said:

the devs made it very clear that while being on the PSN+ helped with exposure of the game it did not pay the bills. Don't fool yourself in thinking game developers enjoy not getting paid for their work

How is that a PS+ problem?

No one forced them to put it as a free game on PS+.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iandizion713

@mr_huggles_dog: No, but im pretty sure a Sony rep came and talked them into it. Lets not kid ourselves now.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lawlessx

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lawlessx said:
@Heil68 said:
@iandizion713 said:

it's not..it was just a decision they made that could have costed them.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lawlessx said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lawlessx said:
@Heil68 said:
@iandizion713 said:

just don't understand why ppl like ian make it sound like a Sony or PS+ fault.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iandizion713

@mr_huggles_dog: Im not trying to make it sounds like Sony's fault, im just trying to take the credit away from them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@lawlessx said:

they hit a cord in the gaming community;something that is very rare for a indie. I aways love to hearing news about a indie team doing well..helps encourage me to get off my ass and work on my own damm game

Are you currently working for a company or you are programmer?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lawlessx

@Pedro said:
@lawlessx said:

Are you currently working for a company or you are programmer?

been on and off learning how to code and develop games for almost a year.

i'm still pretty terrible at it so to call myself a "programmer" would be a huge insult to community lol

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@iandizion713 said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Im not trying to make it sounds like Sony's fault, im just trying to take the credit away from them.

But they deserve credit for making a deal with the devs to bring consumers a great game for free.

thats the credit that was being given and they deserve bc its true.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@iandizion713 said:

But they deserve credit for making a deal with the devs to bring consumers a great free game.

thats the credit that was being given and they deserve bc its true.

that's not the credit that was being given

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iandizion713

@mr_huggles_dog: And thats fine. I just dont feel like Psyonix owes anyone for its success but itself really. The stars aligned for them, it was beautiful.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lawlessx said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lawlessx said:
@Heil68 said:

maybe the devs regret having it free because of how popular it got they would have liked the $ from people buying it instead, but thats in retrospective. They looked at how popular it got, but it got that popular because of the PSN+.

Secondly, lot of people bought it after the PSN+ give away on PS4 and on Steam because of how popular it got.

Thirdly all those DLC that people bought because of the large install base that was created from the PSN+ give away.

I understand them looking at the number of people that got it for free and wishing those people would have paid full price for it, but the game wouldnt have been where it is today and less than a 4th of the people who played it would have ever hear of the game or bought it at full price to begin with.

They just wished not some many people would have gotten the game for free.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68

and they stated how it HELPED them, No need to fret, SONY can do wonderful things.

Apparently, after all the hype the beta version of the game created, Psyonix wasn’t sure it wanted to have it be a free PlayStation Plus game. However, Sony stepped in and made them a “solid offer,” and the rest is history.

PS+ Instant Game Collection has been an interesting story for us. When the great people at Sony proposed it to us a while back we thought it was a great idea. At the time we didn’t know if the game was going to be successful enough for all the work we put into it and this would be a way to expose it to a larger audience. We always knew that Rocket League would be big if we could get enough people to try it.

Then…the Beta happened. With all the new hype surrounding the game it didn’t seem to make sense to go forward with PS+ IGC. At this point we were pretty set to go forward with a regular release. Then Sony stepped up and told us how much they really wanted the game on IGC. They made us a solid offer and promised to really help promote the title. Coupled with the larger player base and general goodwill it spreads we decided to go for it.

@iandizion713 said:

@Heil68: I disagree. I think Streamers, critics, fans, and a dry summer month for PC helped this game out. When a studio jokes like this,

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

We need to get some System Wars matches going! I own the game on all 3 platforms. Let's get something going!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Heil68

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lawlessx said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

maybe the devs regret having it free because of how popular it got they would have liked the $ from people buying it instead, but thats in retrospective. They looked at how popular it got, but it got that popular because of the PSN+.

Secondly, lot of people bought it after the PSN+ give away on PS4 and on Steam because of how popular it got.

Thirdly all those DLC that people bought because of the large install base that was created from the PSN+ give away.

I understand them looking at the number of people that got it for free and wishing those people would have paid full price for it, but the game wouldnt have been where it is today and less than a 4th of the people who played it would have ever hear of the game or bought it at full price to begin with.

They just wished not some many people would have gotten the game for free.

They got compensation:

Apparently, after all the hype the beta version of the game created, Psyonix wasn’t sure it wanted to have it be a free PlayStation Plus game. However, Sony stepped in and made them a “solid offer,” and the rest is history.

Then…the Beta happened. With all the new hype surrounding the game it didn’t seem to make sense to go forward with PS+ IGC. At this point we were pretty set to go forward with a regular release. Then Sony stepped up and told us how much they really wanted the game on IGC. They made us a solid offer and promised to really help promote the title. Coupled with the larger player base and general goodwill it spreads we decided to go for it.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

My favourite game of 2015 and still play it a few times a week

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@Heil68 said:

and they stated how it HELPED them, No need to fret, SONY can do wonderful things.

PS+ Instant Game Collection has been an interesting story for us. When the great people at Sony proposed it to us a while back we thought it was a great idea. At the time we didn’t know if the game was going to be successful enough for all the work we put into it and this would be a way to expose it to a larger audience. We always knew that Rocket League would be big if we could get enough people to try it.

@iandizion713 said:

That makes it sound like they really didn't need PS+

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iandizion713

@Heil68: Ok, now be real, if they could go back, do you think they would accept Sonys offer?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68

@iandizion713 said:

@Heil68: Ok, now be real, if they could go back, do you think they would accept Sonys offer?

Of course, SONY propelled the game into the stratosphere.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

They need to look at the long run. Their next game will have more hype and sales because they can brag about being the creators of Rocket League.

Gamers are loyal to companies who make great games.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Time to give it a shot.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:
@davillain- said:

Same.

Quite stealing my avatars! Na keep it, it suits you well :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Best game of last year.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Probably my favorite game to release this gen. I still put in a lot of hours every week.

And guys, just let the cows here think they're heroes. They work so hard.