Rise of the Tomb Raider is (timed) Xbox Exclusive

#651 Posted by Legend002 (7360 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

HHAAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIMED EXCLUSIVE!

LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really even an exclusive since it's on 360 too along with Xbone.

#652 Edited by cainetao11 (18365 posts) -

@Legend002 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

HHAAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIMED EXCLUSIVE!

LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really even an exclusive since it's on 360 too along with Xbone.

Agreed. From first announcement it wasn't exclusive.

#653 Posted by santoron (7857 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Good point. We don't know, and CD probably wont come out and speak about their financial situation. But maybe the money for exclusivity a year and 5 months before release is going into the development of the game?

SE is one of the largest publishers in the world, just posted better than expected profits, upgraded their forecasts, and was finally judged stable enough for Sony to sell their interest. CD is a wholly owned subsidiary of SE, so they get their projects financed from SE coffers, just like every other SE franchise.

You're right to say "we don't know", but it's not likely a sequel to a slow burning but profitable reboot was relying on outside financing to happen. Especially since it was announced months before the "holiday 2015" agreement was.

#654 Posted by Animal-Mother (27009 posts) -

So what's the exact deal with this game, can someone give me or us an update?

#655 Edited by freedomfreak (41989 posts) -
@Animal-Mother said:

It's a sequel to the Tomb Raider reboot. It will exclusively launch for Xbox One and Xbox 360 for a limited time.

#656 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5913 posts) -

Blackace is melting down in the news article about this, poor love.

#657 Edited by Legend002 (7360 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: There's a restraining order from it going anywhere but Xbox. For how long we don't know. Safe bet would be 6 months to a year.

#658 Posted by Animal-Mother (27009 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Legend002 said:

@Animal-Mother: There's a restraining order from it going anywhere but Xbox. For how long we don't know. Safe bet would 6 months to a year.

Ok so it's a timed exclusive.

Good to know.

#659 Edited by Chutebox (37896 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

We got Tomb Raider bitches.

Seems everyone does!

I'm surprised MS are the ones that came out and said it.

#660 Posted by iwasgood2u (824 posts) -

The lemmings were dancing for joy on a table, then slip and fell off after hearing its only timed exclusive. 1.5 year away from release of the game and cant catch a break. Everyday I come to SW because its comedy central. MS is a lazy dirty company due to the fact that They are deep behind ps4 in sales so expect major layoffs down the line. They have no excuses for this because their console was release not that far apart from ps4. They did this to themselves with bad choices. Timed exclusive deals is bad business and shows their weakness as a company. Quantum break will surely be a big disappointment. They are playing the same cards as previous years but its not moving the consoles as well as they expected. Its only hurting their reputation. Why bother with throwing away their money at 3rd parties to get a small jump in sales?

#661 Posted by santoron (7857 posts) -

@Legend002 said:

@Animal-Mother: There's a restraining order from it going anywhere but Xbox. For how long we don't know. Safe bet would be 6 months to a year.

Safe bet is actually just "Holiday 2015" since Spencer was careful not to go further. I wouldn't be surprised to see this hit around February 2016, about 90 days after the XBoxes get their launch.

#662 Edited by Sollet (7445 posts) -

I like how the lemmings abandoned the thread, poor guys will never catch a break this gen it seems.

#663 Posted by iwasgood2u (824 posts) -

I have to give phil spencer props for coming out clean during the recent interview. Honesty helps win many hearts. If you gonna lie and play dirty do it right without getting caught. I knew they were going to take a lot of heat but its good to see they handling it the right way instead of riding it out with more bs.

#664 Edited by Shielder7 (5155 posts) -

I'd say I called it but so did practically everyone else...more specifically They were scared of Uncharted and instead of delaying their game they duped Microsoft into giving them a pointless (to Microsoft) exclusivity deal.

They'll release at the same time as uncharted, go relatively unaffected by uncharted, pocket Microsoft's cash, and than release it later on the PS3/PS4/PC safe from uncharted.

#665 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2602 posts) -

Well that's good to know. Bought the first one on my PS4 because it was on sale and was really surprised how much I liked it. Will probably release on PS4/PC in March 2016.

#666 Posted by Shielder7 (5155 posts) -
@iwasgood2u said:

I have to give phil spencer props for coming out clean during the recent interview. Honesty helps win many hearts. If you gonna lie and play dirty do it right without getting caught. I knew they were going to take a lot of heat but its good to see they handling it the right way instead of riding it out with more bs.

He came out clean after he was cornered and had no choice, not because he wanted to.

#667 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

Nice, timed exclusive. Can't wait to see the best version on PC :)

#668 Posted by Phazevariance (11012 posts) -

@Sollet: If by catching a break you mean making cows bitch and moan over what exclusives it has, they probably won't. But apparently, making cows cry is as easy as claiming TR exclusive on MS consoles....

#669 Posted by kitty (114913 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Seems everyone does!

why would you be surprised?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-admits-xboxs-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exc/1100-6421700/
spencer says they didn't even pay for it to be exclusive. "Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Sure you didn't say anything about that, but I'm sure many people think money is always involved when everything is "timed" with microsoft.

#670 Posted by cainetao11 (18365 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Seems everyone does!

Awesome!!!

#671 Posted by cainetao11 (18365 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:
@iwasgood2u said:

He came out clean after he was cornered and had no choice, not because he wanted to.

If someone is paying you a healthy salary, what would you do? Spare me the high morality here.

#673 Edited by iloveatlus (306 posts) -

Game will flop in sales. Lemmings don't buy games.

#674 Edited by GamersJustGame (322 posts) -

Until I hear it from SE and Crystal dynamic, I don't buy it. This whole thing doesn't sound right. Why would SE release a statement basically saying it won't be on PS4.

Seems like Phil is saying we don't own the title we didn't buy it. But he implies they payed enough to keep it off PS4. If that's the case, it's BS. Tomb Raider is amazing and I was/am hyped for this Rise of the Tomb Raider. But all platforms should enjoy it.

#675 Posted by Avian005 (4112 posts) -

Not surprising this ended up only being a timed exclusive. I guess I'll still be getting it for Xbox One since I have own the console. Microsoft should just focus on making their own exclusives. Halo, Gears of War, Forze, Fable, and hopefully some new IPs.

#676 Posted by cainetao11 (18365 posts) -

@gamersjustgame said:

Until I hear it from SE and Crystal dynamic, I don't buy it. This whole thing doesn't sound right. Why would SE release a statement basically saying it won't be on PS4.

Seems like Phil is saying we don't own the title we didn't buy it. But he implies they payed enough to keep it off PS4. If that's the case, it's BS. Tomb Raider is amazing and I was/am hyped for this Rise of the Tomb Raider. But all platforms should enjoy it.

Then maybe all platforms should give them money. We don't know what CD's books look like. The game is far from done, and people act like getting money from MS definitely isn't going towards development costs. Its just jump to the conclusion that has to be the worst.

#677 Posted by glez13 (8926 posts) -

The "megaton" was good while it lasted...

#678 Edited by SolidTy (45200 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@SolidTy said:

Insomniac is a 3rd Party developer, but were acting as a 2nd Party when they made Ratchet and Clank for Sony. That product, Ratchet, was a 1st Party product. I suspect you don't know what a 2nd Party is.

Capcom, EA, Activision, Konami, SE, and more hire 3rd Party developers all the time, but the product in the end is a Capcom, EA, Activision, Konami, etc product/game.

2nd Party teams are commissioned by 1st Party companies to create games with their existing IPs. The end product, like a Ratchet and Clank (Insomniac), Excite Bike 64 (Left Field Productions), F-Zero GX (SEGA Amusement Vision), Starfox Assault (Namco), Metroid Other M (Tecmo), and many other games are still 1st Party games. Those I games I listed above are still Nintendo titles, they aren't 3rd party games. It works the same for Sony. The game is only for that platform holder and they can do whatever they want with the title. The Sly Cooper Developer is now owned by Sony and make InFamous games.

There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Party developers. HOWEVER, there are only 1st and 3rd Party games. It's really simple, a game falls under one umbrella or the other upon release. The game is either a 1st party game or a 3rd Party game.

Forget Spyro, that's PS1 era and your quote was about PS2 era. While the first three Spyro's are a 1st Party product (and therefore you won't find them on other competing platforms), I don't want to get into that as it is more complicated with Universal and besides, your quote was entirely about the PS2 era. I'll quote again:

"When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

That statement is incorrect and I took the time providing proof. If you aren't willing to look it up and you aren't willing to understand you are misinformed, there isn't much I can do. I posted links and tried my best to explain it. What else is there to say? It's good that you know that Naughty Dog was acquired a long ass time ago in 2001 as I said (kudos for you looking that up), but you are wrong about the above statement with regards to Sony's 1st Party not having any 1st party studios.

You seem to have an issue with 2nd Party developers, so here is some internally developed Sony products for PS2:

Sony gave gamers Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, God of War 1, God of War 2, Twisted Metal: Black, War of the Monsters, Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak III, Jak X, MLB: The Show, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Rise of the Kasai, Primal, Mark of the Kri, Parappa 2, Hot Shots Golf Series, MediEvil series, Singstar , Syphon Filter, SOCOM, The Getaway 1, The Getaway 2, Tourist Trophy, Genji, Siren, etc.

That's a lot of internally developed 1st party games that Sony provided gamers with in the PS2 era. You said they didn't have many, if any, 1st Party studios. That was incorrect. Without Sony making games, we would never have got Gran Turismo 3 and GT4, Twisted Metal: Black, God of War 1 and 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak 3, Jak X, MLB: The Show, and more.

There was a VAST difference between 1st party output on the Xbox and PS2, and you likened them as similar when that wasn't the case. Sony creates a LOT more 1st party games internally than Xbox. This was especially true in the PS2 vs. Original Xbox era. Sony also hires more 3rd parties to become a temporary 2nd party to create more 1st Party games as they did with Ratchet 1st party games created by the free Insomniac.

The companies are very different in their approach to gaming. My point has nothing to do with buying exclusives, but to do with the misinformation when you said:

"When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

I wanted to correct this notion, not talk about buying exclusives, especially for games we can't prove. I wanted to deal with the facts, and one fact is that PS2 had a lot of 1st party support, whereas you posted that Sony didn't have many, if any, 1st party studios in the PS2 generation, which was untrue.

Dude why are you trying to defend sony when i'm not even attacking them. cows are getting absurd these days lol. Listen ratchet isn't 2nd party. it is 3rd party. very simple. IP ownership =/= 1st party or 2nd party. 1st party is in house studios. everything else is 3rd party. and insomniac created the IP. it wasn't like sony had created it with a 1st party then hired someone to do a sequal, it was a new IP created by insomniac who is 3rd party. Your trying to lump in the fanboy made up usage of "2nd party" how about this, why not just give me a list of all sony studios during the era?

You are insane dude, lol. I've posted enough and you are acting so ignorant I would hate to lump you with a super lemming. I own all the machines from PC to Nintendo to Xbox to Playstation. I'm not fanboying anything, but you either are extremely ignorant because you are a super fanbot or are just extremely ignorant. How much effort I took to educate you and you still can't comprehend. This jargon is industry spread and not fanboy made up as you decided on your lonesome as seen by Press Releases found from Xbox to Playstation to Nintendo.

Ratchet and Clank is a 1st Party game. PERIOD. It was developed by a second party partner, but the IP is owned by Sony. It was certainly a new IP created by Insomniac who worked with Sony 1st Party teams to build assets for Ratchet. Sony Producers including other Sony 1st party teams helped Insomniac with the title. The very same Insomniac who was hired by Sony to create the game, who agreed to the game during development, and by Sony who funded the game.

As far as listing studios from Sony in that era, I'm not going to spend that much time. Here's a few Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony, SCE Japan, Team ICO, Team Soho, Incognito, Psygnosis Camden Studio, Studio Camden, SCE Studio Liverpool, etc.

This has been an extreme effort on your part to equate Sony's 1st offerings with the Xbox 1st offerings in the PS2 v Xbox v Gamecube era when you incorrectly proclaimed,

The truth is Playstation did have 1st Party studios (many), really.

I've repeated proven that you were incorrect with names of 1st party games internally and externally developed as well as now studio names. My lists are incomplete, there are more than I typed. I has nothing to do with Cow or Lemming anything. It has nothing to do with Defending or attacking Xbox or Playstation. It's real simple. It has everything to do with you being wrong and being corrected...repeatedly.

I'm surprised to find that you really don't know a lot about this subject, yet you press on anyways. Everyone can see how fiercely incompetent you are on this subject. This is all because you didn't want to admit you were wrong when you said PS 'didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really.' After all your namecalling, deflections, and confusion, that statement you proclaimed is still very, very incorrect. I've provided links, proof, lists, and I fear that you are just sort of biding your time and wasting mine and everyone else's (that's following along).

#679 Edited by SolidTy (45200 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

darkangel115: @darkangel115

Your post......didn't feel like editing the quote chain....would you guys please learn how to do that....

darkangel115: Dude why are you trying to defend sony when i'm not even attacking them. cows are getting absurd these days lol. Listen ratchet isn't 2nd party. it is 3rd party. very simple. IP ownership =/= 1st party or 2nd party. 1st party is in house studios. everything else is 3rd party. and insomniac created the IP. it wasn't like sony had created it with a 1st party then hired someone to do a sequal, it was a new IP created by insomniac who is 3rd party. Your trying to lump in the fanboy made up usage of "2nd party" how about this, why not just give me a list of all sony studios during the era?

/quote

Ratchet and Clank is Sony's IP. It's NOT a third party game. Sony published the games which means they put the money up. Damn...

Thank you.

You directed your post to the wrong recipient, but thank you for taking the time to point out that Ratchet is 1st Party. Almost everyone here knows this but this darkangel115 fellow.

#680 Posted by AcidTango (669 posts) -

I really doubt the game would of ever been a Xbox exclusive when SE wants more money.

#681 Posted by Legend002 (7360 posts) -

This is really going to work out well for me since this was never a day one purchase anyway with so many stuff out around that time. Hopefully the PS4 version will include all of the dlcs and some since Sony have that nasty policy for extra contents being a later release of a competitor,

#682 Posted by TuuPumpChump (98 posts) -

Whatev...at least now I don't have to hear cows complain about this anymore.

Well make sure everyone knows how good the game is, after we play it first

#683 Posted by silversix_ (15340 posts) -

Of course its timed exclusive. The system was build for 1-6months timed exclusivity. Has nothing else but halo/forza/gears and time exclusive dlc's.

#684 Posted by TheFadeForever (1900 posts) -

confirmed coming to the PC

#685 Edited by blackace (21247 posts) -
@ni6htmare01 said:

ooh so it is a timed exclusive? So 1 less reason to get the XB1 lol

It doesn't mean it coming to the PS4 though. It could easily just go to the PC only like DR3 and Ryse.

By the time it's released on the other platform, most gamers who have played it on XBox 360/XB1 aren't going to care. There will be some other exclusive announced by then. I remember this happening a lot for the PS3 multiplat games that hit the XBox 360 first and then got released on the PS3 6-24 months later. Hardly anyone bought any of those games.

@lglz1337 said:

yes MS nobody wins from the internet not even a good 20x bags of money you just wasted!

and what pc and playstation owners should do is not buy it!

They will. lol!! They'll be buying all those XB1 bundles during the holiday. There are a lot more casual gamers, then hardcore gamers that are on this site. Jump In.

#686 Posted by gregbmil (2618 posts) -

@effec_tor: yep, I didn't see what was so great about it anyways. It was ok, but I will gladly take U4 over Tomb Raider.

#687 Edited by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

This song perfectly served as background music when I originally heard XB1 exclusive. I'm happy that its been clarified as a timed exclusive but I just knew SE was doing too good as of late not to screw this up. Still does anyone think the SE exec's will freak out again when Rise of The Tomb Raider fails to beat Tomb Raider 2013 in first month sales?

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectation
3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough to hit the game's sales target.

#688 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151917 posts) -

@blackace said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

ooh so it is a timed exclusive? So 1 less reason to get the XB1 lol

It doesn't mean it coming to the PS4 though. It could easily just go to the PC only like DR3 and Ryse.

LOL. Wouldn't be a bet I'd take but whatever.

#689 Posted by HernandeZzzz (855 posts) -

Nice try, Microsoft. Guess your console still blows. :(

#690 Posted by airshocker (30656 posts) -

Lol. Called it.

#691 Posted by Couth_ (10211 posts) -

Tomb Raider is the type of game you get for $5 on a steam sale.. needs to be multiplat

#692 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14082 posts) -

So Xbox One still has no real exclusives.

#693 Posted by slimdogmilionar (658 posts) -

@charizard1605: How is Horizon 2 copying DC.

#694 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I guess the PS4 will have the "definitive edition" a year later for 60$

If buy it on PC or PS4 I won't pay anywhere near full price for a late port.

#695 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:
@iwasgood2u said:

Yep. Phil is no better than Don Mattrick. Microsoft had no choice but to clarify this deal somewhat or have it fester for the next 15 months.

#696 Edited by HernandeZzzz (855 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@hernandezzzz said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The level of idioticy from gamers keeps surpassing my expectations each year.

Idioticy, dude? Seriously? What are they, idioticons?

Oh, the irony...

I'm portuguese. Idiocy translate to "idiotice" in my language, so it's a common mistake i make, along with other grammatical erros, like double letters in the english language. Also, abit spanish gets in the way too. 3 languages gets in the way. Ense, my edit

I'm gonna make this really simple, so you understand my point: you don't call people idiots when you can't even speak/type properly. It makes you the idiot.

PS: I'm also Portuguese and speak the exact same three languages you do. I spotted your error almost instantly. Where is your God now, huh? Where... is... your... GOD?

#697 Posted by YD_11 (1866 posts) -

Does it make a difference if it is one year, two years, five years, etc? It could very well be that by the time it goes to, let's say, the ps4, the next iteration is on it's way.

I guess sony fans are used to waiting around though lol. It's 2014 and cows are already looking forward to 2016 so that MS may lose an "exclusive"

#698 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@YD_11 said:

Does it make a difference if it is one year, two years, five years, etc? It could very well be that by the time it goes to, let's say, the ps4, the next iteration is on it's way.

I guess sony fans are used to waiting around though lol. It's 2014 and cows are already looking forward to 2016 so that MS may lose an "exclusive"

Yeah we will definitely not have anything else to play until we get that Tomb Raider port(sarcasm). Microsoft decisions are so great that PS4 has already won this generation. This was just another black eye for the Xbox division that won't move a significant amount of consoles at all.

#699 Edited by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

Shocked! ¬_¬

#700 Edited by YD_11 (1866 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@YD_11 said:

Yeah we will definitely not have anything else to play until we get that Tomb Raider port(sarcasm). Microsoft decisions are so great that PS4 has already won this generation. This was just another black eye for the Xbox division that won't move a significant amount of consoles at all.

My mistake, i thought we were talking about the tomb raider game. Does it matter if it goes to ps4 2 years down the road? is the demand for the game still going to be high when the next title is likely due out?

And to your point, the X1 lineup was better in 2013; Is better for 2014; And is arguably better for 2015 though we will need to see what exactly is to release. All your comment means is that there are more people playing multiplats, indies and/or old pc games due to buying a ps4. I would have been so disappointed if i had bought a ps4

Edit: by "multiplats" i mean more specifically games you could have otherwise played on the X1