Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#501 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

I suspect it will be just "not on Playstation".

Nope. If that were the case, you better believe they'd say so. After all, you don't pay to keep gamers from playing a game to keep it a secret.

MS is playing this up to the extent that they can. No "XB1 exclusive", no "Only on XBox", no "Console exclusive". It'll be on everything shortly after the new year.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#502 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Yup. That sealed the deal.

Playstation 4 is gonna have to wait.

Tomb Raider is probably my favorite IP too, but I'm not buying a Xflop to play it. Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix just took a shit on the majority of their fanbase.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#503 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

It's okay, Playstation is still getting Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris :-P.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#504  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

They should announce if a game is 100% exclusive by saying the game will never go to any other platform for at least 100 years and after that maybe. ;)

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#505  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

This is huge. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft helped the Playstation brand get started. So this exclusivity deal is a huge blow for Sony and their fans. It's like they got bitch slapped and kicked in the nuts by Lara Croft herself.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@santoron said:

@StormyJoe said:

I suspect it will be just "not on Playstation".

Nope. If that were the case, you better believe they'd say so. After all, you don't pay to keep gamers from playing a game to keep it a secret.

MS is playing this up to the extent that they can. No "XB1 exclusive", no "Only on XBox", no "Console exclusive". It'll be on everything shortly after the new year.

What?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#507 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

@Snugenz said:

The hilarious thing in all this is all the "zomg MS are evul for bying Tomb Raiderzzzz" shite, as if Sony or Nintendo have never bought exclusivity.

With games like Uncharted and Infamous they were always exclusive to PlayStation. Buying exclusivity for an established franchise is a big middle finger to most of your target audience.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#508 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CyberLips said:

I don't know if anyone already posted this but this is Crystal Dynamics' response on Tumblr. The comment section is priceless.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

Corellianrogue OllyN • 7 hours ago

"Can't remember Sony ever buying up a game that was thought to be multplat and making it Sony exclusive."

LMAO! WTF?!!! The original Tomb Raider was made for the Saturn and ported to the PS1 but after that Sony payed for exclusivity for it for YEARS! So you really got a nasty bout of "foot-in-mouth" disease there. There are others too, like Final Fantasy that was previously Nintendo exclusive before Sony bought exclusivity for years.

The amount of misinformation and just plain stupidity that flows from these fanboys is just mind boggling.

When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really. All their big name games game form 3rd parties. games like MGS, FF, DMC, TR, GTA, etc were all 3rd party exclusives, and why they aren't exclusives anymore. Now the big 2 (Sony and MS) have very little 1st party exclusives that people care a lot about. Sony had ND and GT, MS has halo, gears and Forza. The rest of the exclusive franchises aren't really big hitters. Especially not when you think of the PS2/xbox era where PS2 had MGS, DMC, FF, GTA etc all in their prime.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#509 StrongBlackVine

@Wasdie said:

@Zero5000X said:

That argument could be applied to absolutely any game. If Smash Bros. was released on PC, PS4, and Xbox One in addition to Wii U and 3DS it will sell better than if it launches on Wii U and 3DS alone.

The key difference is that Smash Bros has always been exclusive so the sales expectations have always been within the realm of the one platform it was launched on. Furthemore the fanbase exists solely on that one line of platforms. Unless you own a Nintendo console, odds are you aren't going to be too excited for the next Smash. Same can be said with any exclusive series. Fans will have bought the platform required to play the game.

The last few Tomb Raider games have been multiplat so the fans are spread over many platforms. This is just cutting that down pointlessly. Microsoft wants to use it to push game consoles. I don't think Tomb Raider is an important enough series for people to go pick up a $400 console for. If they haven't decided to buy an Xbox One yet, odds are this won't be enough to push the sale.

You are right. I LOVE the Tomb Raider franchise and I will pass on this.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#510 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Ugh, fucking Microsoft and their cancerous pot of gold.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Lmao anyone who thinks this is staying exclusive is a fool. It may be 12 months later before it comes to PS4 but it will come to PS4/PC.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512  Edited By 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

That was unexpected although the meltdown has been funny to watch. I should have an Xbox One by then anyway so I couldn't care less if it's exclusive or not. Also, I hope this Tomb Raider game will actually have proper Tomb raiding in it.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#513 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

Lmao anyone who thinks this is staying exclusive is a fool. It may be 12 months later before it comes to PS4 but it will come to PS4/PC.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#514  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CyberLips said:

I don't know if anyone already posted this but this is Crystal Dynamics' response on Tumblr. The comment section is priceless.

"Can't remember Sony ever buying up a game that was thought to be multplat and making it Sony exclusive."

LMAO! WTF?!!! The original Tomb Raider was made for the Saturn and ported to the PS1 but after that Sony payed for exclusivity for it for YEARS! So you really got a nasty bout of "foot-in-mouth" disease there. There are others too, like Final Fantasy that was previously Nintendo exclusive before Sony bought exclusivity for years.

The amount of misinformation and just plain stupidity that flows from these fanboys is just mind boggling.

When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really. Now the big 2 (Sony and MS) have very little 1st party exclusives that people care a lot about.

Sony had a strong 1st party and had many 1st party studios in the PS2 generation. What you stated was literally incorrect. It's a revisionist attempt to equate Sony's 1st Party Playstation strategy to the Xbox 1st Party/Buying Timed deals strategy. It's very apologetic as well. Sorry you weren't paying attention, but they released many 1st party games in the PS2 generation. I was here in SW during the Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 era. You were not here with this account. I'll just use one of my old posts to show a list (not even complete) of 1st party games from Sony in the PS2/PS1 era.

You are completely wrong when you said, "They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really." There is no truth to that as I'll prove with a tiny 1st Party Sony list in a second.

The PS1 and especially the PS2 had an amazing 1st party and I think it's just indicative of age or where you were in your gaming life that would lead you to believe that their 1st party was non-existent until the PS3. Basically, I just don't think you were paying much attention to their 1st party in those eras. Here's an example of some high quality games from their 1st party (only PS2/PS1 era games):

1. Twisted Metal 1/2,
  2. Gran Turismo 1-4,
  3. Twisted Metal: Black,
  4. Primal
  5. Mark of the Kri,
  6. Sly Cooper 1-3 series,
  7. Jak & Daxter 1-3
  8. Jak X,
  9. Parappa 1/2,
  10. Rogue Galaxy,
  11. Intelligent Cube,
  12. Wild Arms 1-5,
  13. Ratchet and Clank (4 games on PS2),
  14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1 era),
  15. Spyro the Dragon (PS1 era),
  16. Legend of Legaia 1/2,
  17. Dark Cloud 1-2,
  18. Champions of Norrath 1/2,
  19. Arc the Lad series,
  20. Hot Shots Golf Series,
  21. MediEvil series,
  22. ICO,
  23. Shadow of the Colossus,
  24. Drakan: The Ancients' Gates,
  25. Amplitude,
  26. Frequency,
  27. ATV Offroad Fury Series,
  28. Jet Moto Series,
  29. SOCOM PS2 series,
  30. Ghost Hunter,
  31. Destruction Derby Series,
  32. Syphon Filter series,
  33. War of the MONSTERS!,
  34. God of War 1/2,
  35. Rise of the Kasai,
  36. Tourist Trophy,
  37. Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
  38. Siren 1/2,
  39. Mr. Mosquito,
  40. Formula 1,
  41. MLB The Show,
  42. Legend of Dragoon,
  43. Singstar,
  44. and many more.
  45. I skipped over games I didn't care for like Fantavision, Okage, or The Getaway but they exist too.

Sony's 1st party was VERY "existent", in fact, it was pretty awesome and only improved over the years. I loved Dark Cloud 2 and spent hours upon hours with Champions of Norrath 1/2 both online and locally with friends. Jak & Daxter was great. Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Rogue Galaxy, Twisted Metal: Black, Legend of Dragoon, War of the Monsters, Singstar, God of War 1/2...some great Sony 1st Party games and all existed before the PS3. I would also argue for Gran Turismo 1-4, but I'm not into racing, although I can't deny the series was a critical and consumer darling when it came out in the PS1 era.

I would certainly argue that that they improved over the years, but the PS2 was where I noticed as a gamer in that era how strong and relevant their 1st party was. I wasn't sure if the PS1 was a fluke, but the PS2 solidified Sony as a contender in the 1st party space...and I was a Xbox and Gamecube gamer which really spoke volumes to me how good some of those PS2 1st party games were.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#515 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Don't feel like digging myself, is new TR being built ground up for xb1 with no previous gen considerations? That would be glorious and give the team room to flex their tech talent with a lot less compromise.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#516  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

Uncharted 4 will have the better narrative and story. As far as the gameplay goes flip that coin. Tomb Raider 2013 was insanely fun. As much as I love Tomb Raider this will not get me to buy an X1. Maybe I'll rent the shittier version for my 360.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#518 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

I loved the last tomb raider game. I guess I'll be missing out on this one.

I won't. I'm defiintely getting a couple of this when it comes out and Uncharted 4. LOL!!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519 SolidTy

@eNT1TY said:

Don't feel like digging myself, is new TR being built ground up for xb1 with no previous gen considerations? That would be glorious and give the team room to flex their tech talent with a lot less compromise.

Nope, this new TR is a cross gen 360/Xbone game. Disappointing I know. I wish it were next gen only. CD are most likely using the engine from the last game.

The most obvious answer Xbone's install base isn't enough to warrant the game exclusive to Xbone, so it's also coming to 360, exclusive for the Holiday 2015 window.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#520 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Oh no... not Tomb Raider... how will I cope? All I have left is this little thing called Uncharted...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#521  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@eNT1TY said:

I'm reading there will be 360 version. Not sure though.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#522  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts
@Shielder7 said:

The level of idiocy from gamers keeps surpassing my expectations each year.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#523  Edited By eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

@SolidTy: Thx for reply. Shame it's crossgen, i will still buy xb1 version day 1. At the very least they will have full mastery of the engine and should produce something that will amaze.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#524  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Hah Square Enix will be more doomed than Crytek with Titanfall. Wonder how much MS paid SE^^

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#525 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Hah Square Enix will be more doomed than Crytek with Titanfall. Wonder how much MS paid SE^^

Um what?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#526 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Man **** this shit. TR is meant to be played on my PC.

It will be, 6 months later. lol

Whens the last time MS kept a big third party game exclusive to their console?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527  Edited By SolidTy

@eNT1TY said:

@SolidTy: Thx for reply. Shame it's crossgen, i will still buy xb1 version day 1. At the very least they will have full mastery of the engine and should produce something that will amaze.

Yes, I'm not a TR fan, but I agree it's a shame the game is cross generation using all those last generation assets. I have an Xbone, but I won't be buying this, unless it really gets amazing reviews, but then I'll wait for that magical $20 pricepoint like the last TR game.

I am looking forward to new gen only titles like Batman AK, so see what these machines can really do.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528  Edited By SolidTy
@StrongBlackVine said:

@eNT1TY said:

I'm reading there will be 360 version. Not sure though.

Yes, I linked it in other threads, but TR is confirmed at Xbox.com as a 360/Xbone cross gen game from Crystal Dynamics.

It's also confirmed exclusive for Holiday 2015. No word on what 2016 holds for 3rd Party SE's plans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#529  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:
@Shielder7 said:

The level of idioticy from gamers keeps surpassing my expectations each year.

Idioticy, dude? Seriously? What are they, idioticons?

Oh, the irony...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#530  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I'm not effected as I own all the relevant platforms (PC, Xbox and Playstation ) so I'm not bothered by this being an "exclusive", and for the record it is totally an "exclusive". It will end up on PC (the definitive version) and it'll probably end up on PS4 as Tomb Raider Sigma or whatever.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#531 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@lostrib said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Um what?

Eh hah i ment Ryse, they was not happy with the sales there

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#532 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:
@Shielder7 said:

You got that shit right. It is beyond toxic, even on the likes of NeoGAF. Actually, even good old System Wars is heaven compared to that place as of late.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:
@Shielder7 said:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Are you saying it's silly for ppl to be upset that another 3rd party game has all of a sudden without warning become exclusvie to a shit console?

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#534 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

didn't this happen last gen with the last tomb raider game? I remember lems were jumping for joy because tomb raider was supposedly an exclusive, few months later it came to the ps3. Plus tomb raider isnt a game that would make me buy any console. im surprised people still play tomb raider.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The level of idioticy from gamers keeps surpassing my expectations each year.

Idioticy, dude? Seriously? What are they, idioticons?

Oh, the irony...

I'm portuguese. Idiocy translate to "idiotice" in my language, so it's a common mistake i make, along with other grammatical erros, like double letters in the english language. Also, abit spanish gets in the way too. 3 languages gets in the way. Ense, my edit

@ironcreed said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

You got that shit right. It is beyond toxic, even on the likes of NeoGAF. Actually, even good old System Wars is heaven compared to that place as of late.

Best part is, less than 6 months from now, most people won't give a shit.

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Are you saying it's silly for ppl to be upset that another 3rd party game has all of a sudden without warning become exclusvie to a shit console?

The fact that someone went to the trouble of making an entire poster marking the "death" of TB over this announcement doesn't strike you as stupid, entitled, and overly "whinny".

If you're unhappy about it like me, fine. I got upset and nerd raged, but i calmed down and realized out stupid i was being. Making this whole poster over this? Really.

And gamers wonder why the general public doens't look at us in a more respectfull and adult manner.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536 darkangel115

@SolidTy said:

@darkangel115 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CyberLips said:

When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really. Now the big 2 (Sony and MS) have very little 1st party exclusives that people care a lot about.

Sony had a strong 1st party and had many 1st party studios in the PS2 generation. What you stated was literally incorrect. It's a revisionist attempt to equate Sony's 1st Party Playstation strategy to the Xbox 1st Party/Buying Timed deals strategy. It's very apologetic as well. Sorry you weren't paying attention, but they released many 1st party games in the PS2 generation. I was here in SW during the Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 era. You were not here with this account. I'll just use one of my old posts to show a list (not even complete) of 1st party games from Sony in the PS2/PS1 era.

You are completely wrong when you said, "They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really." There is no truth to that as I'll prove with a tiny 1st Party Sony list in a second.

The PS1 and especially the PS2 had an amazing 1st party and I think it's just indicative of age or where you were in your gaming life that would lead you to believe that their 1st party was non-existent until the PS3. Basically, I just don't think you were paying much attention to their 1st party in those eras. Here's an example of some high quality games from their 1st party (only PS2/PS1 era games):

1. Twisted Metal 1/2,
  2. Gran Turismo 1-4,
  4. Primal
  5. Mark of the Kri,
  7. Jak & Daxter 1-3
  8. Jak X,
  9. Parappa 1/2,
  10. Rogue Galaxy,
  11. Intelligent Cube,
  12. Wild Arms 1-5,
  17. Dark Cloud 1-2,
  19. Arc the Lad series,
  21. MediEvil series,
  22. ICO,
  25. Amplitude,
  26. Frequency,
  28. Jet Moto Series,
  29. SOCOM PS2 series,
  30. Ghost Hunter,
  34. God of War 1/2,
  35. Rise of the Kasai,
  36. Tourist Trophy,
  38. Siren 1/2,
  39. Mr. Mosquito,
  40. Formula 1,
  41. MLB The Show,
  42. Legend of Dragoon,
  43. Singstar,
  44. and many more.
  45. I skipped over games I didn't care for like Fantavision, Okage, or The Getaway but they exist too.

Sony's 1st party was VERY "existent", in fact, it was pretty awesome and only improved over the years. I loved Dark Cloud 2 and spent hours upon hours with Champions of Norrath 1/2 both online and locally with friends. Jak & Daxter was great. Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Rogue Galaxy, Twisted Metal: Black, Legend of Dragoon, War of the Monsters, Singstar, God of War 1/2...some great Sony 1st Party games and all existed before the PS3. I would also argue for Gran Turismo 1-4, but I'm not into racing, although I can't deny the series was a critical and consumer darling when it came out in the PS1 era.

I would certainly argue that that they improved over the years, but the PS2 was where I noticed as a gamer in that era how strong and relevant their 1st party was. I wasn't sure if the PS1 was a fluke, but the PS2 solidified Sony as a contender in the 1st party space...and I was a Xbox and Gamecube gamer which really spoke volumes to me how good some of those PS2 1st party games were.

well off the top of my head

sly cooper, jak and daxter, spyro, franchises were all 3rd party. ND didn't become 1st party until the PS3 era. The rest were by insomniac which is still 3rd party. I'm sure if i actually looked up the studios, at least a few more are 3rd parties. and since the PS2 had way more exclusives then that, it shows it was a very small %. The big franchises from that era weren't exclusives (outside god of war and GT) MGS, FF, GTA, DMC were the franchises that were the huge draws on the PS2

and yes i wasn't here back then, But the fact you try to relate it to MS in anyway is your mind not mine. I'm a multiplatform gamer. always have been always will. I have a PC, PS4, and X1 and will probably wind up getting a wii u as well. I have 2 kids and was thinking about getting them one for xmas. Last gen had a PS3, 360 and wii, before that a PS2, xbox and gamecube. Before that a dreamcast, PS1 and N64 and i can keep going lol.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#537 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Ouch.

So many cow meltdowns

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#538 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Personally, I don't care about the franchise anymore. Even so, this is a big mistake by them to put it on a system with a much smaller user base while shunning the other platforms. I don't think SE got paid enough by Microsoft and they'll come to regret that decision or weasel out of it somehow.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#539  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Awesome pick to compete with Uncharted MS.

Crystal Dynamics are top 30 best developer of all the gaming industry.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540  Edited By SolidTy

@darkangel115 said:

@SolidTy said:

@darkangel115 said:

1. Twisted Metal 1/2,
  2. Gran Turismo 1-4,
  4. Primal
  5. Mark of the Kri,
  7. Jak & Daxter 1-3
  8. Jak X,
  9. Parappa 1/2,
  10. Rogue Galaxy,
  11. Intelligent Cube,
  12. Wild Arms 1-5,
  17. Dark Cloud 1-2,
  19. Arc the Lad series,
  21. MediEvil series,
  22. ICO,
  25. Amplitude,
  26. Frequency,
  28. Jet Moto Series,
  29. SOCOM PS2 series,
  30. Ghost Hunter,
  34. God of War 1/2,
  35. Rise of the Kasai,
  36. Tourist Trophy,
  38. Siren 1/2,
  39. Mr. Mosquito,
  40. Formula 1,
  41. MLB The Show,
  42. Legend of Dragoon,
  43. Singstar,
  44. and many more.

sly cooper, jak and daxter, spyro, franchises were all 3rd party.ND didn't become 1st party until the PS3 era. The rest were by insomniac which is still 3rd party. I'm sure if i actually looked up the studios, at least a few more are 3rd parties. and since the PS2 had way more exclusives then that, it shows it was a very small %. The big franchises from that era weren't exclusives (outside god of war and GT) MGS, FF, GTA, DMC were the franchises that were the huge draws on the PS2

and yes i wasn't here back then, But the fact you try to relate it to MS in anyway is your mind not mine. I'm a multiplatform gamer. always have been always will. I have a PC, PS4, and X1 and will probably wind up getting a wii u as well. I have 2 kids and was thinking about getting them one for xmas. Last gen had a PS3, 360 and wii, before that a PS2, xbox and gamecube. Before that a dreamcast, PS1 and N64 and i can keep going lol.

Hmmm...perhaps you are trolling as you like to waste other users time, but I know for sure you are very misinformed. Let me proceed with some gaming education.

You need to do some research. I gave you answers and instead of researching them, you are making things up. That's really strange behavior. Those games were all 1st Party titles. Some were developed by second party devs, some by 1st party devs. Regarding Systems I buy, I buy all the main systems at launch for decades now. I don't buy a Wii/360/PS3 later in the gen. I bought the original Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox at those launches. Same for N64, Saturn, and PS1. Other people tend to buy one machine at launch, heavily support that machine, and later pick up an additional machine, like you are doing with the Wii U and many people did with PS2, Xbox, PS3, etc. Buy the machine later, well after launch. In any event, that's off subject.

One thing is certain, you don't know much about PS2 era Sony 1st Party games...it may be related to the fact you didn't buy PS2 1st party games as perhaps you didn't buy a PS2 at launch in Oct 2000.

Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and the first three Spyro games are under the Sony 1st Party banner. They were not 3rd Party and as such you have not seen those particular games ported to competitive consoles. Later sequels to Spyro yes, but not those games. Forget PS1 generation as your comment was, and I quote, "When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

That's a false statment. Sony had a lot of 1st party games during that generation. The PS2 1st Party was strong.

Sony owns the Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank IPs, just like M$ own the Halo IP and Nintendo owns Zelda IP. Bungie left, but the Halo IP stays behind with Xbox. Halo is Xbox. Sly cooper is PS. Jak is Playstation. Ratchet is Playstation. Sly Cooper is Playstation. Insomniac is free to make other games like Sunset Overdrive for Xbox, but Ratchet and Resistance stay behind.

Secondly, you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to ND. Naughty Dog became 1st Party in the early, early PS2 generation back in the Jak and Daxter 1 time frame. Around the time, give or take a year, Xbox picked up Bungie. I have no idea why you posted that a second time.

My entire point was to point at 1st party games that you said Sony didn't create and you were incorrect.

Here's a post from from some time ago that might hopefully explain to you 1st Party, 2nd Party, and 3rd Party games and those companies creation of only 1st party games and 3rd Party games. There are no 2nd Party games, just 2nd Party developers.

I didn't say they were 1st party (as I've owned and played their games since PSOne and I've met Ted Price twice in my life), but since I'm here I'll go ahead and educate you a little bit because many young gamers get this point confused all the time.

No, Insomniac is not 1st party developer but this game will be a 1st party product paid for by Sony like many other 1st party Ratchet games. Sony owns the Ratchet IP and can hire whoever they want to create these games. Insomniac has proven to be a great resource to Sony, although they remained independent and recently released the lower scoring FUSE game with EA proving they can go and do what they please. The partnership Sony + Insomniac has given gamers much higher metascoring games, but it's nice that Insomniac can work with EA, or even the upcoming product they have Sunset Overdrive with Microsoft. Insomniac wants to own more IPs which is why they created FUSE and are now making Sunset Overdrive. Another example of this is EPIC games who own the GeoW (Gears of War) IP. [EDIT: This post was made before M$ bought the GeoW IP]. They do deal with Microsoft, but the GeoW franchise EPIC can do what they want with it, like Unreal.E

There is no such thing as Second Party games, just second party developers. A game is owned either by a 3rd party or 1st party.

Capcom for instance, a 3rd party hired many outside studios to work on their properties from Bionic Commando to Dead Rising. The product although made by an outside company, is still a Capcom game. Capcom isn't alone. Nintendo, Konami, Activision, EA, and more have deals of this nature.

The final products will still belong to Capcom, Nintendo, Konami, or in this case Sony. Upcoming Sunset Overdrive, depending on who owns the IP will also either be a 1st party or 3rd party game for the next Xbox. This is how it works. According to my research for Sunset, it's a Insomniac owned IP, but it will be published by Microsoft (like Ninja Gaiden II, Braid, or Mass Effect 1 was). It's not depending on who publishes the game, but rather who owns the IP.

This Ratchet game is a 1st party game, still a Sony game paid for and commissioned by Sony, although clearly Insomniac is a 2nd party developer in this case.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#541 darkangel115

@SolidTy said:

@darkangel115 said:

@SolidTy said:

@darkangel115 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CyberLips said:

1. Twisted Metal 1/2,
  2. Gran Turismo 1-4,
  4. Primal
  5. Mark of the Kri,
  7. Jak & Daxter 1-3
  8. Jak X,
  9. Parappa 1/2,
  10. Rogue Galaxy,
  11. Intelligent Cube,
  12. Wild Arms 1-5,
  17. Dark Cloud 1-2,
  19. Arc the Lad series,
  21. MediEvil series,
  22. ICO,
  25. Amplitude,
  26. Frequency,
  28. Jet Moto Series,
  29. SOCOM PS2 series,
  30. Ghost Hunter,
  34. God of War 1/2,
  35. Rise of the Kasai,
  36. Tourist Trophy,
  38. Siren 1/2,
  39. Mr. Mosquito,
  40. Formula 1,
  41. MLB The Show,
  42. Legend of Dragoon,
  43. Singstar,
  44. and many more.

sly cooper, jak and daxter, spyro, franchises were all 3rd party.ND didn't become 1st party until the PS3 era. The rest were by insomniac which is still 3rd party. I'm sure if i actually looked up the studios, at least a few more are 3rd parties. and since the PS2 had way more exclusives then that, it shows it was a very small %. The big franchises from that era weren't exclusives (outside god of war and GT) MGS, FF, GTA, DMC were the franchises that were the huge draws on the PS2

You need to do some research. I gave you answers and instead of researching them, you are making things up. That's really strange behavior. Those games were all 1st Party titles. Some were developed by second party devs, some by 1st party devs. Regarding Systems I buy, I buy all the main systems at launch for decades now. I don't buy a Wii/360/PS3 later in the gen. I bought the original Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox at those launches. Same for N64, Saturn, and PS1. Other people tend to buy one machine at launch, heavily support that machine, and later pick up an additional machine, like you are doing with the Wii U.

Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and the first three Spyro games are under the Sony 1st Party banner. They were not 3rd Party and as such you have not seen those particular games ported to competitive consoles. Later sequels yes, but not those games.

Secondly, you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to ND. Naughty Dog became 1st Party in the early, early PS2 generation back in the Jak and Daxter 1 time frame. Around the time, give or take a year, Xbox picked up Bungie. I have no idea why you posted that a second time.

My entire point was to point at 1st party games that you said Sony didn't create and you were incorrect.

Here's a post from from some time ago that might hopefully explain to you 1st Party, 2nd Party, and 3rd Party games and those companies creation of only 1st party games and 3rd Party games. There are no 2nd Party games, just 2nd Party developers.

I didn't say they were 1st party (as I've owned and played their games since PSOne and I've met Ted Price twice in my life), but since I'm here I'll go ahead and educate you a little bit because many young gamers get this point confused all the time.

No, Insomniac is not 1st party developer but this game will be a 1st party product paid for by Sony like many other 1st party Ratchet games. Sony owns the Ratchet IP and can hire whoever they want to create these games. Insomniac has proven to be a great resource to Sony, although they remained independent and recently released the lower scoring FUSE game with EA proving they can go and do what they please. The partnership Sony + Insomniac has given gamers much higher metascoring games, but it's nice that Insomniac can work with EA, or even the upcoming product they have Sunset Overdrive with Microsoft. Insomniac wants to own more IPs which is why they created FUSE and are now making Sunset Overdrive. Another example of this is EPIC games who own the GeoW (Gears of War) IP. [EDIT: This post was made before M$ bought the GeoW IP]. They do deal with Microsoft, but the GeoW franchise EPIC can do what they want with it, like Unreal.E

There is no such thing as Second Party games, just second party developers. A game is owned either by a 3rd party or 1st party.

Capcom for instance, a 3rd party hired many outside studios to work on their properties from Bionic Commando to Dead Rising. The product although made by an outside company, is still a Capcom game. Capcom isn't alone. Nintendo, Konami, Activision, EA, and more have deals of this nature.

The final products will still belong to Capcom, Nintendo, Konami, or in this case Sony. Upcoming Sunset Overdrive, depending on who owns the IP will also either be a 1st party or 3rd party game for the next Xbox. This is how it works. According to my research for Sunset, it's a Insomniac owned IP, but it will be published by Microsoft (like Ninja Gaiden II, Braid, or Mass Effect 1 was). It's not depending on who publishes the game, but rather who owns the IP.

This Ratchet game is a 1st party game, still a Sony game paid for and commissioned by Sony, although clearly Insomniac is a 2nd party developer in this case.

I'm not going to research everything, but insomniac made spyro and ratchet. and they are 3rd party. not 1st party not 2nd party. Sony owns the IPs but they were made by a 3rd party. just like gears for MS. they were made by epic a 3rd party. Not a 2nd party or 1st party. as far as ND goes (the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001.) and the PS2 (The PS2 was launched in October 2000 in North America and November) so yeah ND did get aquaired during the PS2 you are correct. but ratchet was never 1st party. I can really care less to make a whole list. I was just making the point that Sony did during the PS2 era buy a lot of 3rd party exclusives. and even now with the PS4. all these indies they purchased like resogun, and bloodborne. its normal practice. Yeah MS does it more, I don't think anyone would say otherwise, but both do it to help push their system. and 2nd party doesn't really exist. its a made up term that people used to describe a company that makes a game that isn't 1st party but the IP is owned by the 1st party. By that theory bluepoint would be a 2nd party dev for titanfall which isn't the case

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#542 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Best thread in a looooooongggg time. I love it. Puuaaaaageee 11.

Keep up the traffic cows!

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#543  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I am quite confused by this fall out. It's quite easy to understand why SE did this. UNCHARTED 4 comes out in 2015. Honestly if both games came out around the same time TR mutiplat vs UC exclusive from ND which one would most people pick up?

it's really easy to see how they could justify delaying the PS4 (and PC) versions seeing as they'd have to bump heads with Uncharted, a game they really don't want to compete against in the first place.

Their rationality is probably that the boat load of money that MS dropped for timed exclusivity will off set the lack of sales they might have suffered from trying to compete with UC4 head to head.

When MS offered them money for timed exclusivity they probably jumep at the opportunity. A definitive version will no doubt be out for PS4 and PC mid to late 2016. Nothing is lost.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#544  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The fact that someone went to the trouble of making an entire poster marking the "death" of TB over this announcement doesn't strike you as stupid, entitled, and overly "whinny".

If you're unhappy about it like me, fine. I got upset and nerd raged, but i calmed down and realized out stupid i was being. Making this whole poster over this? Really.

And gamers wonder why the general public doens't look at us in a more respectfull and adult manner.

It's just some photoshop work.

It probably took the guy 10 minutes to do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#545 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Don't buy it, send a message?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546  Edited By SolidTy

@darkangel115 said:

@SolidTy said:

@darkangel115 said:

@SolidTy said:

1. Twisted Metal 1/2,
  2. Gran Turismo 1-4,
  4. Primal
  5. Mark of the Kri,
  7. Jak & Daxter 1-3
  8. Jak X,
  9. Parappa 1/2,
  10. Rogue Galaxy,
  11. Intelligent Cube,
  12. Wild Arms 1-5,
  17. Dark Cloud 1-2,
  19. Arc the Lad series,
  21. MediEvil series,
  22. ICO,
  25. Amplitude,
  26. Frequency,
  28. Jet Moto Series,
  29. SOCOM PS2 series,
  30. Ghost Hunter,
  34. God of War 1/2,
  35. Rise of the Kasai,
  36. Tourist Trophy,
  38. Siren 1/2,
  39. Mr. Mosquito,
  40. Formula 1,
  41. MLB The Show,
  42. Legend of Dragoon,
  43. Singstar,
  44. and many more.

Hmmm...perhaps you are trolling as you like to waste other users time, but I know for sure you are very misinformed. Let me proceed with some gaming education.

You need to do some research. I gave you answers and instead of researching them, you are making things up. That's really strange behavior. Those games were all 1st Party titles. Some were developed by second party devs, some by 1st party devs. Regarding Systems I buy, I buy all the main systems at launch for decades now. I don't buy a Wii/360/PS3 later in the gen. I bought the original Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox at those launches. Same for N64, Saturn, and PS1. Other people tend to buy one machine at launch, heavily support that machine, and later pick up an additional machine, like you are doing with the Wii U and many people did with PS2, Xbox, PS3, etc. Buy the machine later, well after launch. In any event, that's off subject.

One thing is certain, you don't know much about PS2 era Sony 1st Party games...it may be related to the fact you didn't buy PS2 1st party games as perhaps you didn't buy a PS2 at launch in Oct 2000.

Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and the first three Spyro games are under the Sony 1st Party banner. They were not 3rd Party and as such you have not seen those particular games ported to competitive consoles. Later sequels to Spyro yes, but not those games. Forget PS1 generation as your comment was, and I quote, "When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

That's a false statment. Sony had a lot of 1st party games during that generation. The PS2 1st Party was strong.

Sony owns the Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank IPs, just like M$ own the Halo IP and Nintendo owns Zelda IP. Bungie left, but the Halo IP stays behind with Xbox. Halo is Xbox. Sly cooper is PS. Jak is Playstation. Ratchet is Playstation. Sly Cooper is Playstation. Insomniac is free to make other games like Sunset Overdrive for Xbox, but Ratchet and Resistance stay behind.

I'm not going to research everything, but insomniac made spyro and ratchet. and they are 3rd party. not 1st party not 2nd party. Sony owns the IPs but they were made by a 3rd party. just like gears for MS. they were made by epic a 3rd party. Not a 2nd party or 1st party. as far as ND goes (the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001.) and the PS2 (The PS2 was launched in October 2000 in North America and November) so yeah ND did get aquaired during the PS2 you are correct. but ratchet was never 1st party. I can really care less to make a whole list. I was just making the point that Sony did during the PS2 era buy a lot of 3rd party exclusives. and even now with the PS4. all these indies they purchased like resogun, and bloodborne. its normal practice. Yeah MS does it more, I don't think anyone would say otherwise, but both do it to help push their system. and 2nd party doesn't really exist. its a made up term that people used to describe a company that makes a game that isn't 1st party but the IP is owned by the 1st party. By that theory bluepoint would be a 2nd party dev for titanfall which isn't the case

Insomniac is a 3rd Party developer, but were acting as a 2nd Party when they made Ratchet and Clank for Sony. That product, Ratchet, was a 1st Party product. I suspect you don't know what a 2nd Party is.

Capcom, EA, Activision, Konami, SE, and more hire 3rd Party developers all the time, but the product in the end is a Capcom, EA, Activision, Konami, etc product/game.

2nd Party teams are commissioned by 1st Party companies to create games with their existing IPs. The end product, like a Ratchet and Clank (Insomniac), Excite Bike 64 (Left Field Productions), F-Zero GX (SEGA Amusement Vision), Starfox Assault (Namco), Metroid Other M (Tecmo), and many other games are still 1st Party games. Those I games I listed above are still Nintendo titles, they aren't 3rd party games. It works the same for Sony. The game is only for that platform holder and they can do whatever they want with the title. The Sly Cooper Developer is now owned by Sony and make InFamous games.

There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Party developers. HOWEVER, there are only 1st and 3rd Party games. It's really simple, a game falls under one umbrella or the other upon release. The game is either a 1st party game or a 3rd Party game.

Forget Spyro, that's PS1 era and your quote was about PS2 era. While the first three Spyro's are a 1st Party product (and therefore you won't find them on other competing platforms), I don't want to get into that as it is more complicated with Universal and besides, your quote was entirely about the PS2 era. I'll quote again:

"When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

That statement is incorrect and I took the time providing proof. If you aren't willing to look it up and you aren't willing to understand you are misinformed, there isn't much I can do. I posted links and tried my best to explain it. What else is there to say? It's good that you know that Naughty Dog was acquired a long ass time ago in 2001 as I said (kudos for you looking that up), but you are wrong about the above statement with regards to Sony's 1st Party not having any 1st party studios.

You seem to have an issue with 2nd Party developers, so here is some internally developed Sony products for PS2:

Sony gave gamers Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, God of War 1, God of War 2, Twisted Metal: Black, War of the Monsters, Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak III, Jak X, MLB: The Show, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Rise of the Kasai, Primal, Mark of the Kri, Parappa 2, Hot Shots Golf Series, MediEvil series, Singstar , Syphon Filter, SOCOM, The Getaway 1, The Getaway 2, Tourist Trophy, Genji, Siren, etc.

That's a lot of internally developed 1st party games that Sony provided gamers with in the PS2 era. You said they didn't have many, if any, 1st Party studios. That was incorrect. Without Sony making games, we would never have got Gran Turismo 3 and GT4, Twisted Metal: Black, God of War 1 and 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak 3, Jak X, MLB: The Show, and more.

There was a VAST difference between 1st party output on the Xbox and PS2, and you likened them as similar when that wasn't the case. Sony creates a LOT more 1st party games internally than Xbox. This was especially true in the PS2 vs. Original Xbox era. Sony also hires more 3rd parties to become a temporary 2nd party to create more 1st Party games as they did with Ratchet 1st party games created by the free Insomniac.

The companies are very different in their approach to gaming. My point has nothing to do with buying exclusives, but to do with the misinformation when you said:

"When the playstation was in its prime (PS2 era) Sony was buying up exclusives like crazy. They didn't have many (if any) 1st party studios really."

I wanted to correct this notion, not talk about buying exclusives, especially for games we can't prove. I wanted to deal with the facts, and one fact is that PS2 had a lot of 1st party support, whereas you posted that Sony didn't have many, if any, 1st party studios in the PS2 generation, which was untrue.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#548 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Damn this is causing some meltdownssss. lol. TR wasn't even that good.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#549 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Don't buy it, send a message?

I am going to buy 5 copies.

uninspiredcup