RIME for the (PS4) - ICO lite (sort of..)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

"I can tell you that there is no combat. That was something that was intentional from the beginning. Your avatar is a little child. It makes so no sense for you to find a legendary sword or whatever and then start killing monsters. There are very good games that do that but Rime is not one of those. We wanted to make Rime more personal. Something that is general enough that anyone can enjoy it as a tale, a fable or a rhyme but is also deep enough that it can be personal and can touch you deep inside you."

One of the conclusions the team came to, after that successful Gamescom, is that Rimehas to stand on its own. "We focus on what makes this game unique. And not on what makes it like Ico," he says.

Apart from the main character, there are no other humans in the game. There is no dialog. "We don't look at the story in terms of NPCs giving out quests," explains Rubio. "The island itself is a character. The ambition was always that the island would tell the story. It is reacting to your presence. The seagulls and boars react to your presence because you shouldn't be there. You are a trespasser.

------

Didn't see a topic on this one.. what do you think?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:
Loading Video...

"I can tell you that there is no combat. That was something that was intentional from the beginning. Your avatar is a little child. It makes so no sense for you to find a legendary sword or whatever and then start killing monsters. There are very good games that do that but Rime is not one of those. We wanted to make Rime more personal. Something that is general enough that anyone can enjoy it as a tale, a fable or a rhyme but is also deep enough that it can be personal and can touch you deep inside you."

One of the conclusions the team came to, after that successful Gamescom, is that Rimehas to stand on its own. "We focus on what makes this game unique. And not on what makes it like Ico," he says.

Apart from the main character, there are no other humans in the game. There is no dialog. "We don't look at the story in terms of NPCs giving out quests," explains Rubio. "The island itself is a character. The ambition was always that the island would tell the story. It is reacting to your presence. The seagulls and boars react to your presence because you shouldn't be there. You are a trespasser.

------

Didn't see a topic on this one.. what do you think?

All I need now is a release date

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

No combat? Ico had combat in it but you swiped at the air to disperse shadows so their reasoning seems a bit odd.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

One of the reasons I am picking up a PS4. Looks phenomenal.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Not really sure what this game is about.

All I get from that trailer is that there is a giant penis cloud/tower with a keyhole at the top. Seems promising.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@papatrop said:

All I get from that trailer is that there is a giant penis cloud/tower with a keyhole at the top. Seems promising.

You would see a penis.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The Ico and Team Ico similarities are superficial at best.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PapaTrop

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@papatrop said:

You would see a penis.

I can't help it.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@papatrop said:

If that's the first thing to come to mind when looking at a tower, then you have some issues.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So it's just a little kid wondering around on an island?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

This is great! Need more games like this and Journey, where violence is not a consistent factor. It's not that I hate violence, absolutely not. Just that games/movies etc. feature so much of it that it's become saturated, and it's really hard to explore it any further without going back to ideas that have already been done. Non violent new ideas = infinite possibilities.

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

I'm positively optimistic about this title namely for the art style, but I have to see more on it before I get excited especially considering this was the developer behind Deadlight which was very mediocre.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

This is the game that blew my hair back watching Gamescom. I love that there is no combat. My friends and I were discussing the other day how games with no swords, guns, etc. usually come along and receive great reviews because they're so refreshing. It's obvious it has platforming elements, but I'm also willing to bet there will be a lot of puzzles to complete. I am extremely curious as to what the in game goal is. Also, I love the colors in the game. Looks fantastic.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PapaTrop

@edwardecl said:
@papatrop said:

If that's the first thing to come to mind when looking at a tower, then you have some issues.

We all saw it.

I'm the only one brave enough to admit it.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@papatrop said:

@edwardecl said:
@papatrop said:

We all saw it.

I'm the only one brave enough to admit it.

I literally did not think of any form of genitalia while watching. And trust me, I see penises in things as much as Giger drew them (in things).