Revengeance Demo sh1tting on Ninja Theory left, right, and center.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]do you still think of it as a janky bayonetta? regardless, I have it preordered through gamestop (unfortunately) since I want the preorder goodies.jg4xchamp

No now that I got my hands on it's feeling nice and fluid.

Some of the things I wasn't relying on like the slow mo to be as effective, and I like that it's not straight forward as a hack n slash. Like the demo presents a scenario where you could just go slice and dice, but you leave yourself open for a bunch of dudes on the perimeter with rockets. So it's in your best interest to survey it first, and take them out quickly.

Hopefully the main game has more elaborate versions(because I'll be really disappointed if that's as far with that type of stuff platinum went) of that kind of scenario. The boss fight is kind of tricky as I'm not getting the perry timing down as well as I'd like. Plus that mother f*cker is quick.

Further point I'd say it's a lot different than MGS meets Bayonetta. It's if anything like an easier take on how NG does business. The enemies in the demo are a little inconsistent. Only the gekkos really get after you like the NG enemies did, but again demo stuff.

The boss fight is really fun. I prefer these types of fights vs the super large(but still excellent) bosses that Bayonetta had.

I much prefer "normal size" bosses too. I personally haven't checked out the demo (never bought gold live after my free demo and not up on PSN), but I'm not even sure I want to try out the demo before I get the actual full game. I know I'm going to like it as I do with anything PG related. Been spending a lot of my gaming time lately with Anarchy Reigns and SC2.
#102 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Did they ever add an evade button? I never seen one used in the gameplay demonstrations and the thought of there not being one is a huge turn off. How in the f*ck do you make a hack n slash and not include a dodge roll or something like that?

Master_ShakeXXX

The game does a terrible(demo at least) job of explaining anything. The dodge move is the two attack buttons at once, but the real thing here is the parry system. Essentially it's defense with aggression. That red flash is suppose to be your signal to be ready to parry, and the timing on that thing needs to be right. Because if you're a little early it's just a block, and if you're too late ....well that goes without saying. So your primary source of defense is an dodge attack move or parrying. Which once you have the timing down for makes kicking everyones ass so much less frustrating, and that much more satisfying when you can put together some more elaborate stuff. There is actually a lot of stuff in this demo that you need to experiment with to find out or actually look up how to do, because the demo itself isn't really explaining any of it, and the lack of a command list isn't helping matters either.

Sounds kind of counter-intuitive. I'll Try the demo out once it goes up on PSN.

I'm sorry wrong buttons. Square and X in your case. It's the normal attack and jump button, and it's elaborate. The idea isn't that you're suppose to dodge, but actually know how to Parry. I do think the lack of an actual block button is gonna hurt the overall game though.
#103 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Should I feel bad that I downloaded Dead Space 3 demo instead.

#104 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -

OB-47
Probably, because eww dead space. I downloaded the demo too lol
#105 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
You can, but you're giving up a lot of time. It's a pretty elaborate motion. jg4xchamp
Oh ok, I guess it shouldn't be used as a primary defense move, more like a move that you can use now and then. I think I need to check out the invisible frame for that one as well.
#106 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

jg4xchamp

Probably, because eww dead space. I downloaded the demo too lol

Yeah haha. Not usually interested too much in Dead Space's so called horror, but I want to see if that co-op is novel in anyway.

#107 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Heads up. The demo is finally up on PSN.

#108 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You can, but you're giving up a lot of time. It's a pretty elaborate motion. rjdofu
Oh ok, I guess it shouldn't be used as a primary defense move, more like a move that you can use now and then. I think I need to check out the invisible frame for that one as well.

Parry is your go to defensive move, and generally the enemies give you enough time. I think the lack of a block is gonna be taxing though giving how chaotic I'd imagine the game gets later on. Because even in the demo you're pretty much all over that controller, and the camera while not broken does have a tendency to be in some not so perfect spots.
#109 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26657 posts) -

Thefatness16

everyone needs to try it. Its fun and makes you feel badass.

#110 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11948 posts) -

Thefatness16

After I download the Dead Space 3 demo I'll check this out.

#111 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9964 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

PG should have let KojiPro handle the story

Thefatness16

They are. KP is writing the story, while Platinum is doing the gameplay.

jb2tF0QSqvPCZA.png

As you can see KP are responible for the writing.

In and interview he said that they were pretty much dictating the whole game, that he wanted to have Fox Gray instead of Raiden, but they vote for Raiden
#112 Posted by Valiant_Rebel (4197 posts) -

I played the demo about a week or so ago. I liked it. My only concern is if the game will have any easter eggs or secrets to find. Those sound minor, but I believe it would make the game much stronger.

#113 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26657 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Nengo_Flow

jb2tF0QSqvPCZA.png

In and interview he said that they were pretty much dictating the whole game, that he wanted to have Fox Gray instead of Raiden, but they vote for Raiden

its best to keep that guy dead. The he went out was just fine. Still that skin better come over.

#114 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -
[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Nengo_Flow

jb2tF0QSqvPCZA.png

Raiden was in the original kojima production version of Metal Gear Rising =| Besides the actual writers on the game aren't PG people, it's KP. So essentially you're getting a mash up. A platinum game with a kojima productions story/setting/characters.
#115 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

jb2tF0QSqvPCZA.png

jg4xchamp

Raiden was in the original kojima production version of Metal Gear Rising =| Besides the actual writers on the game aren't PG people, it's KP. So essentially you're getting a mash up. A platinum game with a kojima productions story/setting/characters.

but kojima said he'd have liked to have grey fox instead, but KP insisted on raiden. he said "sure, go ahead", as part of his plan to let those guys start handling things on their own.
#116 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6595 posts) -
[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

Sorry but the new DMC game is good.I hope Psn gets the Revengeance demo soon,I can't wait for that game also.And if anything the TC should be b!tching about Team Ninja.Cause Revengeance is what NG3 should've been.

DarkLink77
As soon as Hayashi took over as the design lead at Team Ninja, it was obvious that everything they made was going to be trash.

Dead or Alive 5 begs to differ!
#117 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

Sorry but the new DMC game is good.I hope Psn gets the Revengeance demo soon,I can't wait for that game also.And if anything the TC should be b!tching about Team Ninja.Cause Revengeance is what NG3 should've been.

Capitan_Kid

As soon as Hayashi took over as the design lead at Team Ninja, it was obvious that everything they made was going to be trash.

Dead or Alive 5 begs to differ!

He had nothing to do with DOA 5 though.

#118 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"] In and interview he said that they were pretty much dictating the whole game, that he wanted to have Fox Gray instead of Raiden, but they vote for RaidenBrunoBRS

but kojima said he'd have liked to have grey fox instead, but KP insisted on raiden. he said "sure, go ahead", as part of his plan to let those guys start handling things on their own.

In that case the point still stands Platinum didn't really ruin anything.

Kojima Productions is doing the story. Kojima Productions is the one that created a game that Kojima himself wanted no part of releasing and then had Platinum do the work for them. At this point Platinum is saving a project that Kojima Productions was struggling with. Anything wrong with the story is if anything on that studio, or more importantly even on Kojima for putting that much faith into a team he went out of his way to embarrass last time.

Nevermind that we're talking about a franchise that's always had a story that is badly written, super cheesy, and over the top to begin with.

#119 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You can, but you're giving up a lot of time. It's a pretty elaborate motion. jg4xchamp

Parry is your go to defensive move, and generally the enemies give you enough time. I think the lack of a block is gonna be taxing though giving how chaotic I'd imagine the game gets later on. Because even in the demo you're pretty much all over that controller, and the camera while not broken does have a tendency to be in some not so perfect spots.

I see, that's some weird design, plus the number of off-screen attacks i've been seeing in some videos (from the big robot thingy); people will have a hard time keeping no damage in this game. Anyway thanks for the info.
#120 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7315 posts) -

Haven't played the demo but it's good to hear great things about it.

#121 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] The game does a terrible(demo at least) job of explaining anything. The dodge move is the two attack buttons at once, but the real thing here is the parry system. Essentially it's defense with aggression. That red flash is suppose to be your signal to be ready to parry, and the timing on that thing needs to be right. Because if you're a little early it's just a block, and if you're too late ....well that goes without saying. So your primary source of defense is an dodge attack move or parrying. Which once you have the timing down for makes kicking everyones ass so much less frustrating, and that much more satisfying when you can put together some more elaborate stuff. There is actually a lot of stuff in this demo that you need to experiment with to find out or actually look up how to do, because the demo itself isn't really explaining any of it, and the lack of a command list isn't helping matters either. jg4xchamp

Sounds kind of counter-intuitive. I'll Try the demo out once it goes up on PSN.

I'm sorry wrong buttons. Square and X in your case. It's the normal attack and jump button, and it's elaborate. The idea isn't that you're suppose to dodge, but actually know how to Parry. I do think the lack of an actual block button is gonna hurt the overall game though.

I figured that. The controls are always kind of mapped the same between Xbox and PS, even though the controllers themselves are different.

#122 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Raiden was in the original kojima production version of Metal Gear Rising =| Besides the actual writers on the game aren't PG people, it's KP. So essentially you're getting a mash up. A platinum game with a kojima productions story/setting/characters. jg4xchamp

In that case the point still stands Platinum didn't really ruin anything.

Kojima Productions is doing the story. Kojima Productions is the one that created a game that Kojima himself wanted no part of releasing and then had Platinum do the work for them. At this point Platinum is saving a project that Kojima Productions was struggling with. Anything wrong with the story is if anything on that studio, or more importantly even on Kojima for putting that much faith into a team he went out of his way to embarrass last time.

Nevermind that we're talking about a franchise that's always had a story that is badly written, super cheesy, and over the top to begin with.

i was just clearing up the confusion :P
#123 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
anyway, downloading the demo. going by PSN download speed times, i should be done before the end of the week.
#124 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6595 posts) -
anyway, downloading the demo. going by PSN download speed times, i should be done before the end of the week.BrunoBRS
Don't exaggerate. You'll be done by the end of the month
#125 Posted by Yangire (8795 posts) -

Man that demo was amazing, I can't imagine that many games will beat this one in 2013.

#126 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

Really didn't like the block/dodge system. I probably need to get used to it more but having block and dodge mapped to the same button as attack seems silly.

#127 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Platinum games > Ninja theory.. in EVERYTHING Rising looks sooo good.
#128 Posted by jg4xchamp (48679 posts) -

Really didn't like the block/dodge system. I probably need to get used to it more but having block and dodge mapped to the same button as attack seems silly.

BPoole96
I think you'll like it a lot more when you get parrying down. I also think when we both finish the game we're going to say a glaring issue with this game is that it needed a block/evade button for some of the more chaotic fights.
#129 Posted by freedomfreak (41379 posts) -

Man that demo was amazing, I can't imagine that many games will beat this one in 2013.

Yangire
Sweet sig.
#130 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

Can't we just be happy for both of them ? *runs for cover*

Business_Fun
#131 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

jg4xchamp

I think you'll like it a lot more when you get parrying down. I also think when we both finish the game we're going to say a glaring issue with this game is that it needed a block/evade button for some of the more chaotic fights.

Yeah the Square and X + L stick dodge does not cover enough space to even dodge most attacks. In the part with the two gecko before the boss, I would kill all the cyborgs guys and just practice on the geckos and I could not consistently dodge their kicks. Unless Circle/B serves more of a purpose once more stuff is unlocked, I don't see why that wouldn't have been used as a dodge button.

#132 Posted by madsnakehhh (14593 posts) -

Lol, that's not fair, comparing the amazing Platinum to Emo Ninja theory? what's next, Jaguar vs PC graphics? :lol:

#133 Posted by OneSanitarium (6924 posts) -

This is amazing.

#134 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

Lol, that's not fair, comparing the amazing Platinum to Emo Ninja theory? what's next, Jaguar vs PC graphics? :lol:

madsnakehhh
inb4fanboyz.
#135 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5180 posts) -

Holy sh!t this demo is good.:|

#136 Posted by OneSanitarium (6924 posts) -

Gonna copy and paste from another website, courtesy of Mr.X on SRK:

"f,f+Square = launcher
f,f+Triangle = Stinger
b,f+Square = Palm
b,f+Triangle = Tripping
360+Triangle = Breakdancing Flares
Square+X = Dodge slash

Grounded Combos
Square x N = Nonstop Slashes
Square delay Square = slash into a launching slash (auto jump followup), doesn't matter how many square you hit before it

Triangle is a bit different than Square

Triangle x4 = series of attacks that'll end in a flurry of kicks (keep mashing triangle to do more stabs at the end)
Triangle Square Triangle
Triangle delay Square Triangle
Triangle Triangle Square Triangle
Triangle Triangle Triangle Square Triangle

You'll go into your typical square slashes if you keep pressing square after triangle (so no Triangle Square Square), square slashes don't have triangle enders, they'll just go into the triangle strings

In air
Square x5
Triangle x2
--You can do something like Triangle Square x4 Triangle or Square x4 Triangle x2 but you can't Square Triangle Square ...
f+Triangle = Right the Lightning dive kick

When Raiden has his back turned to an enemy, Square will automatically do backturned attacks. If he's far away, he'll do like a roll into stab. Reminds me of Easy Automatic in Bayonetta a little."

#137 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

Gonna copy and paste from another website, courtesy of Mr.X on SRK:

"f,f+Square = launcher
f,f+Triangle = Stinger
b,f+Square = Palm
b,f+Triangle = Tripping
360+Triangle = Breakdancing Flares
Square+X = Dodge slash

Grounded Combos
Square x N = Nonstop Slashes
Square delay Square = slash into a launching slash (auto jump followup), doesn't matter how many square you hit before it

Triangle is a bit different than Square

Triangle x4 = series of attacks that'll end in a flurry of kicks (keep mashing triangle to do more stabs at the end)
Triangle Square Triangle
Triangle delay Square Triangle
Triangle Triangle Square Triangle
Triangle Triangle Triangle Square Triangle

You'll go into your typical square slashes if you keep pressing square after triangle (so no Triangle Square Square), square slashes don't have triangle enders, they'll just go into the triangle strings

In air
Square x5
Triangle x2
--You can do something like Triangle Square x4 Triangle or Square x4 Triangle x2 but you can't Square Triangle Square ...
f+Triangle = Right the Lightning dive kick

When Raiden has his back turned to an enemy, Square will automatically do backturned attacks. If he's far away, he'll do like a roll into stab. Reminds me of Easy Automatic in Bayonetta a little."

OneSanitarium
That's some nice information, wondering if it's the final list or you can unlock more moves in the full game.
#138 Posted by jman1553 (1318 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNotkUcATw

#139 Posted by OneSanitarium (6924 posts) -

That's some nice information, wondering if it's the final list or you can unlock more moves in the full game.rjdofu

You can use different weapons, but I don't know if that will affect the move set or not.

You can cancel almost anything into the dodge, and a lot of stuff into a jump. I did the divekick once, and instead of just going down, i rammed the enemy straight into the air really high. I dunno, this is more NG than DMC, but it has some decent combo ability. I combod the hell out of the boss, since I abused his a.i. with him wanting to backup, and I had him cornered. I launched and kill him.

#140 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20497 posts) -
Im sorry man, but MGR looks like a$$
#141 Posted by OneSanitarium (6924 posts) -

Im sorry man, but MGR looks like a$$II_Seraphim_II

I'm an ass man myself.

#142 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16779 posts) -

I thought the demo was awesome.

#143 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
Im sorry man, but MGR looks like a$$II_Seraphim_II
I love ass :D
#144 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] That's some nice information, wondering if it's the final list or you can unlock more moves in the full game.OneSanitarium

You can use different weapons, but I don't know if that will affect the move set or not.

You can cancel almost anything into the dodge, and a lot of stuff into a jump. I did the divekick once, and instead of just going down, i rammed the enemy straight into the air really high. I dunno, this is more NG than DMC, but it has some decent combo ability. I combod the hell out of the boss, since I abused his a.i. with him wanting to backup, and I had him cornered. I launched and kill him.

But it's not a dodge offset isn't it? champ said the dodge move animation is pretty long (don't know if it's can be cancel with sword mode or not). In this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge76_UTapJw, I see him cancel attack with sword mode as well, and the attack animation seems very fast; as long as there's move cancelling there'll be combo potential.
#145 Posted by OneSanitarium (6924 posts) -

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] That's some nice information, wondering if it's the final list or you can unlock more moves in the full game.rjdofu

But it's not a dodge offset isn't it? champ said the dodge move animation is pretty long (don't know if it's can be cancel with sword mode or not). In this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge76_UTapJw, I see him cancel attack with sword mode as well, and the attack animation seems very fast; as long as there's move cancelling there'll be combo potential.

It's not an offset, it's just meant to get out of the way. Tomorrow I'll experiment a little bit on what combos can be done. Heres to hopefully breaking the game!

#146 Posted by Epak_ (6804 posts) -

Gotta download dis!

Edit: LOL there's no demo (EU), you made me boot up my console for this... ****!

Edit2: Trying PSN... must perform update...

Edit3 (4?): Finally found it, from the US PS store.

#147 Posted by hayato_ (5015 posts) -
anyway, downloading the demo. going by PSN download speed times, i should be done before the end of the week.BrunoBRS
Sadly, I've waited an hour and a half now. 96%..................................ccccooommmmeee onnnnnn
#148 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26657 posts) -

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Im sorry man, but MGR looks like a$$OneSanitarium

I'm an ass man myself.

im more of a boob man.

#149 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

I don't know Metal Gear from Adam, but that was a good demo. I'm getting this.

Still, it didn't strike me as some paragon of technical action gaming...you can sorta mash through it. All you need to do is hold forward and attack, and that way you often parry even when you're not trying to. That's not to say it wasn't challenging for me, but if I was good at action games I would have probably found it very easy.

#150 Posted by Sushiglutton (5355 posts) -

I finally played it and it was awesome :D! The kind of silly (in a good way) cutscenes you would expect from Platinum and Kojima. Combat was great, but will take practice to get good at I feel (which also is a good thing). I struggled quite a bit with parrying. Also I wonder how many more moves there are? The demo was very scarce on tutorials and the control description said basically nothing.

A couple of negatives: the camera was annoyingly close in some situations making it very hard to parry correctly (I guess I have to get better at babysitting the camera though). Don't like the way tools were implemented. I prefer quickfire instead of aiming and shooting in the middle of combat (health should also be button tap, not having to pause and go through a menu). Also I wonder how you are supposed to avoid grenades enemies throw since you don't have a natural way to evade (or do u :) )? It may be me who missed these things, because like I said the tutorial was a bit unclear.

I think I know how to avoid all the boss' attacks but the one were he jumps around for a while before he slams his saw into you. It seemed to me like there was a ridiculously short window to parry that one (I succeeded a number of time though). Another thing in the boss design I question is that many of the parry moves pushed the boss back out of your reach. Is there a way to quickly attack forward (other than running) to follow thos parries up? Finally I'm no fan of wiggle the stick QTE.