Retro Studios President Kelbaugh confirms new game in makes

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

He also called the Wii-U a "powerhouse," but what's really important here is that a new Retro Studios game is being made, most likely for Wii-U.

What do you all think it could be? A third (and probably last) Donkey Kong? Metroid? Zelda? One of Nintendo's dormant IPs?

Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't see a thread on this on the front page.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/donkey-kong-metroid-prime-dev-calls-wii-u-a-powerhouse-confirms-new-game/1100-6418032/

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Please.

No.

More.

Donkey Kong.

Or any more platformers for that matter.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Hopefully work on a different Nintendo IP (AKA no DK or metroid), or a new IP.

I wouldn't exactly be against another new DK or Metroid, but would like to see Retro go into newer territory.

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts

Cranky Kong Country Returns Back

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Metroid or STFU, Retro.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Demonjoe93

@charizard1605 said:

Please.

No.

More.

Donkey Kong.

Agreed. I loved Returns and I will probably love Tropical Freeze, but I think Retro is too talented to stay with one genre for years. I honestly think they're making the next StarFox. Retro has a history of reviving Nintendo franchises. Metroid was completely irrelevant during the N64 days, and aside from the bongo games (not bad games, but the bongo drums got old and Jungle Beat was way too easy, especially for a DK game), Donkey Kong was dormant throughout the GameCube years (on consoles, anyway); so I would not put it past Retro to being working on another dormant Nintendo IP.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Well duh. Unless they are being extremely lazy, Retro is always working on something.

Edit: Wii-U is considered a "powerhouse" to them

Tropical Freeze is pretty legit from what I played. I would like for them to make another one to complete the trilogy, but not for the next game. A new IP would be nice, but Metroid and Star Fox is also cool for the next outing.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I swear to god if it's Donkey Kong, I'm done with them.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Hopefully something new and not DK or Metroid Prime.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I, for one, hope it's a new Stunt Race FX, Uniracers, Vortex or Wave Race.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

No more 2D....

if it isn't a fully open world, big budget expansive 3d game. Then I will flip. Nintendo needs SOMEONE to make that sort of game.

if its a 2D, super metroid ill facepalm so hard. Even though a 2D metroid would be good.. Retro can't be wasting their time making stuff like that

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Demonjoe93

@AznbkdX said:

Well duh. Unless they are being extremely lazy, Retro is always working on something.

Edit: Wii-U is considered a "powerhouse" to them

Tropical Freeze is pretty legit from what I played. I would like for them to make another one to complete the trilogy, but not for the next game. A new IP would be nice, but Metroid and Star Fox is also cool for the next outing.

What's really interesting though is that they've already been working on it for a few months, which could mean we're going to see it this E3, and didn't Nintendo also say that the new Zelda is going to be shown at E3. I still think it's a new StarFox, but I wouldn't be too surprised at it being the new Zelda now either.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Demonjoe93

@VendettaRed07 said:

No more 2D....

if it isn't a fully open world, big budget expansive 3d game. Then I will flip. Nintendo needs SOMEONE to make that sort of game.

if its a 2D, super metroid ill facepalm so hard. Even though a 2D metroid would be good.. Retro can't be wasting their time making stuff like that

A huge new StarFox would be awesome. I think Retro could do a lot with that franchise.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

DKCR3 before moving on to something else. Calling it now. Just PLEASE stay away from Metroid for a while longer.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demonjoe93

@nintendoboy16 said:

DKCR3 before moving on to something else. Calling it now. Just PLEASE stay away from Metroid for a while longer.

Wasn't there a thread a couple weeks ago (I wanna say you posted it) about an interview Retro did where they implied that they might be making a third Donkey Kong?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't really care if their next game is 2D or 3D, as one is not inherinetly better than the other. I just hope it is something outside of DK or Metroid Prime.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

They haven't made a Metroid game in 7 years, but you'd rather see 3 DKs within 5 years?

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Demonjoe93

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

They haven't made a Metroid game in 7 years, but you'd rather see 3 DKs within 5 years?

I think that's just his prediction about what the next game is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

They've already made three damn Metroid games. Let them either, finish off Donkey Kong or find something new. Besides, after the Other M fiasco, it's better Metroid remains on the down low for a few more years (from the likes of both Retro and Sakamoto) unless if someone like Next Level or another of their dev teams want to do it.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

Does anyone know if they have the rights to the turok franchise? If so I'd suggest making a new turok game

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16

@Silenthps said:

Does anyone know if they have the rights to the turok franchise? If so I'd suggest making a new turok game

Nope, they don't.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

They've already made three damn Metroid games. Let them either, finish off Donkey Kong or find something new. Besides, after the Other M fiasco, it's better Metroid remains on the down low for a few more years (from the likes of both Retro and Sakamoto) unless if someone like Next Level or another of their dev teams want to do it.

You say 3 Metroid games as if it's too many, but then suggest they do the same thing with DK? And what about DK needs to be finished off? not everything has to be a trilogy.

Other M was 4 years ago and had nothing to do with Retro. And do you really consider it a "fiasco?" granted, it wasn't the best entry to the series, but it's not a bad game by any means. 79 Metacritic and 1.3 million sold, compared to MP3's 90 Metacritic and 1.8 million sold.

allowing a 2-3 year development time, that would leave a 6-7 year gap from Other M, and a 9-10 year gap from Prime 3, Retro's last Metroid game. I think that's more than enough of a break for one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It's probably DK.

Personally I'd like a new IP.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm guessing a 3D Donkey Kong game. Which I'd be happy with.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It's gonna be Donkey Kong Kart

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I don't care what it is. I want them to make another awesome game for my Wii U.

A new Metroid Prime would be pretty amazing and stunning too.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demonjoe93

@trugs26 said:

I'm guessing a 3D Donkey Kong game. Which I'd be happy with.

That would actually be really awesome. Maybe even more awesome than getting a new StarFox.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Demonjoe93

@Ballroompirate said:

It's gonna be Donkey Kong Kart

You just reminded me of Diddy Kong Racing, lol.

I never played that game, but I always heard it was pretty good. I can't see Nintendo having that game made again since Mario Kart is their premier kart racing franchise and all.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Hope its metroid

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

yup hopes its a 3D game...Star Fox, Donkey Kong, or oveshoulder 3rd person Metroid game. :)

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Demonjoe93

@superbuuman said:

yup hopes its a 3D game...Star Fox, Donkey Kong, or oveshoulder 3rd person Metroid game. :)

Yeah, judging by the reactions in this thread, it seems most agree on one thing: For it to not be a 2D game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#32 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If it's Donkey Kong I sure hope it's another "Donkey Kong 64".

They already said it was possible since The Returns Series is using the Prime Engine.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart:

I'd like it to be something similar to SMG with the third DKC game. 2-D platforming that shifts to 3D at certain points. They already are pretty close to this with the dynamic camera from tropical freeze.

Hopefully they get to finish their DKC trilogy. If not though I'm sure whatever they make will be great.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Cranky Kong Racing confirmed.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Whatever it is, I'll be very interested in it. I consider Retro Studios the very best developer in the industry. They've made nothing but the absolute best with the 5 games they've released so far.

P.S. there are a few hints pointing to Metroid. Reggie wore a samus pin when they announced Cranky Kong and Samus' ship is in the background of one of the levels in Tropical Freeze.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

You say 3 Metroid games as if it's too many, but then suggest they do the same thing with DK? And what about DK needs to be finished off? not everything has to be a trilogy.

Other M was 4 years ago and had nothing to do with Retro. And do you really consider it a "fiasco?" granted, it wasn't the best entry to the series, but it's not a bad game by any means. 79 Metacritic and 1.3 million sold, compared to MP3's 90 Metacritic and 1.8 million sold.

allowing a 2-3 year development time, that would leave a 6-7 year gap from Other M, and a 9-10 year gap from Prime 3, Retro's last Metroid game. I think that's more than enough of a break for one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.

I'm saying they've done enough Metroid for a while, and that finishing DK would give them more air than going back to a franchise they wanted to take a break from (former Retro employees HATED working on Metroid).

Other M may not have had Retro's name on it (hence why I brought up Sakamoto, leaving out Team Ninja) and it may have had generally decent reviews (heck, I admit, I liked the game too), it still didn't stop the fans from absolutely losing it over that game.

At this point, it's hard to call Metroid a "flagship" Nintendo franchise, considering it's absence in the N64 era and due to Pokemon taking more popularity at the time. Like F-Zero, Star Fox, Kirby, etc, more of a "support ship" than anything.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

My bet would be something very safe and predictable.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What?

I'm saying they've done enough Metroid for a while, and that finishing DK would give them more air than going back to a franchise they wanted to take a break from (former Retro employees HATED working on Metroid).

Other M may not have had Retro's name on it (hence why I brought up Sakamoto, leaving out Team Ninja) and it may have had generally decent reviews (heck, I admit, I liked the game too), it still didn't stop the fans from absolutely losing it over that game.

At this point, it's hard to call Metroid a "flagship" Nintendo franchise, considering it's absence in the N64 era and due to Pokemon taking more popularity at the time. Like F-Zero, Star Fox, Kirby, etc, more of a "support ship" than anything.

lol..its one person & he is no longer with Retro :p

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Metroid or STFU, Retro.

the Streets want more Samus in all her busty glory. Give the streets what that want.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

A new 2D, 1080p@60fps side-scrolling Metroid in the vein of Super Metroid would not be an issue for many fans of Nintendo, and Retro.

Hell, a "New Metroid" like the NSMB series might reinvigorate the franchise among people who might likely never consider playing one.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendoboy16

@MirkoS77 said:

My bet would be something very safe and predictable.

Would Metroid be one of those being "very safe and predictable?" ;)

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'd like either another Metroid, or a new IP.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Please.

More.

Donkey Kong.

Fixed

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#45 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'd like to see them take a crack at F-Zero. With their technical wizardry, I think it would be spectacular.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

Please.

More.

Donkey Kong.

Fixed

Yeah, with the two DKs they've made, Retro's proven that they have no peers in the genre. Still though, I'm curious to see what else they're capable of. After mastering the action adventure and the platformer, I wonder how far this studio can go.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

Please.

More.

Donkey Kong.

Fixed

Yeah, with the two DKs they've made, Retro's proven that they have no peers in the genre. Still though, I'm curious to see what else they're capable of. After mastering the action adventure and the platformer, I wonder how far this studio can go.

Maybe something in the strategy department? Battalion Wars 3?

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Its a FPS.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

i reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly hope its a metiord fps. the wiiu needs an exclusive fps and metroid looked amazing on wii, i cant wait to see how epic it will be in hd.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

They was hiring several weeks back for someone to do HUD, I posted the new s but it was ignored for titanflop.