RETRO BATTLE: GameCube vs Xbox

• 178 results
Edited 6 months, 5 days ago

Poll: RETRO BATTLE: GameCube vs Xbox (135 votes)

Gamecube 56%
Xbox 43%

The PlayStation 2 (deservedly) won its generation- it was far and away the best console of its generation. But what was the next in line?

The GameCube and Xbox were both incredible consoles, packing powerful hardware, unique controllers, an emphasis on multiplayer gaming, some incredible, quirky exclusives, and just a general approach to gaming that has since been largely lost. The question is... which one of them was better?

VS.

These were both incredible machines. Both were far and away more powerful than either the PlayStation 2 or Dreamcast, both had an emphasis on multiplayer gaming (Xbox emphasized online gaming, GameCube favored local multiplayer); the Xbox emphasized heavy multimedia support (it was the first system to come with a hard drive included), while the Gamecube was probably the first instance of a company trying to build an 'ecosystem' for its products (with its emphasis on Gameboy Advance-GameCube interactivity and connectivity). Both had some great controllers (the original Duke controller for the Xbox was a monstrosity, but the later 'S' design was a thing of beauty, and would go on to evolve into the Xbox 360 controller, arguably the greatest controller ever made; meanwhile, the GameCube controller and the pioneering wireless Wavebird controllers are probably the greatest controllers ever made).

Both had tons of quirky games (Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue, Killer 7, Ikagura), incredible exclusives, and both were gems of systems. Time has been kind to both of them- while the PS2 completely dominated the mindshare and discussion in its era, the Xbox and GameCube are now more 'mysterious,' and they are remembered for their incredible libraries holistically, as well as their achievements, instead of for their struggling sales and droughts.

Here's a list of twenty best games on each system (games available on both the systems are not listed), in my opinion (not in ranked order):

XBOX:

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Shenmue II
  3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  5. Fable
  6. Forza Motorsport
  7. Halo 2
  8. Project Gotham Racing
  9. Jet Set Radio Future
  10. Conker Live and Reloaded
  11. Doom 3
  12. Dead or Alive 3
  13. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  14. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  15. Ninja Gaiden Black
  16. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  17. Crimson Skies
  18. Star Wars Battlefront 2
  19. Jade Empire
  20. The Chronicles of Riddick

GAMECUBE:

1. Metroid Prime
  2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  3. Resident Evil 4
  4. Viewtiful Joe
  5. Killer7
  6. Tales of Symphonia
  7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  8. F-Zero GX
  9. Pikmin 2
  10. Mario Kart: Double Dash
  11. Resident Evil Remake
  12. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  13. Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader
  14. Baten Kaitos
  15. Animal Crossing
  16. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  17. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  19. Timesplitters 2
  20. Phantasy Star Online

Of course, none of these lists even do justice to the full libraries- so many more games (Midtown Madness 3, Star Fox Assault, Super Monkey Ball) aren't even listed here. But it's just a snapshot of what these consoles were like.

So, which one of these two consoles do you think was the better one? Ultimately both were great, but if you had to pick just one, which one would it be? And why?

#1 Posted by AznbkdX (3134 posts) -

GC shits on all of them... including the PS2. :D

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39938 posts) -

I never played Xbox, because the Xbox brand is a joke, so by default, the Gamecube wins.

#3 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25132 posts) -

This should be in Legacy-...oh....now I'm sad.

In anycase I love my Purple Lunch Box.

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (29965 posts) -

This should be in Legacy-...oh....now I'm sad.

In anycase I love my Purple Lunch Box.

Legacy still exists, there's no direct link to it

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (56805 posts) -

As for my answer: okay, I know objectively, the PS2 was better, but you know what, fuck that.

My favorite console of that generation, probably one of my favorite consoles ever, was the Gamecube. The sheer amount of quality experiences that it had, single player and multiplayer, available on it and only on it, was insane. It was a hell of a console, and there will never be quite anything else like it. The Gamecube was Nintendo at its top- yes, I know it failed, yada yada, yada- but that's why Nintendo went the route it went today. Ultimately, the Gamecube was Nintendo firing on all cylinders. Their last stand before they would go on to dilute their brand and quality.

Really, it was a legendary console. I wish that Nintendo would return.

#6 Posted by Ballroompirate (22734 posts) -

Y u no list the Star Fox games Char!?!?!?!

Anyways it's a tough choice deciding between the GC and Xbox, but GD Xbox had Kotor, Morrowind and Kotor 2. I bought Kotor before I even had a Xbox 0_o

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (56805 posts) -

Anyways it's a tough choice deciding between the GC and Xbox, but GD Xbox had Kotor, Morrowind and Kotor 2. I bought Kotor before I even had a Xbox 0_o

Well, Adventure and Assault both had polarizing responses (and I do give Assault a shoutout), so i decided to forego them over games that I knew were more universally well received.

I mean, the Gamecube list, for example, is still missing Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door... I was trying to represent a diverse lineup for both consoles, all said and done.

#8 Posted by Seabas989 (10166 posts) -

Back then: PS2 >>> GC> Xbox

Now: PS2 = GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox

#9 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (583 posts) -

Gamecube. No question.

#10 Posted by Ballroompirate (22734 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Well, Adventure and Assault both had polarizing responses (and I do give Assault a shoutout), so i decided to forego them over games that I knew were more universally well received.

I mean, the Gamecube list, for example, is still missing Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door... I was trying to represent a diverse lineup for both consoles, all said and done.

You can't here it, but I'm letting out a really loud sigh at you right now.

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7304 posts) -

Gamecube for me. My Xbox was barely used outside a handful of games.

#12 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13792 posts) -

ps2>gamecube>>>xbox

#13 Posted by scatteh316 (4902 posts) -

Resident Evil remake on the GC was amazing but that's about it for me personally.

#14 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5388 posts) -

GC. No contest.

#15 Posted by quatoe (5671 posts) -

GC all the way.

#16 Posted by mems_1224 (46931 posts) -

The gamecube was such a piece of shit. It turned me from a big Nintendo fanboy into a PS2 fanboy. Ill never forgive Nintendo for that

#17 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3533 posts) -

Gamecube. Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil, Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime 2, F-Zero GX.....Hnnnnnnnngggggg

#18 Edited by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Easily the GC.

what it lacked in quantity, it made up for 10x over with quality.

#19 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17108 posts) -

Xbox. I like both a lot, but Halo CE (my game of that gen), Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Fable, Panzer Dragoon Orta, SEGA GT, Jet Set Radio Future, Mech Assault, Jade Empire, Crimson Skies, DOA Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie, PGR, Forza and the best versions of all mulitiplats on consoles, makes Xbox the clear winner. Oh, and I love the Duke controller. It took me a while to adjust to the 360 controller because it was so much smaller.

#20 Posted by PonchoTaco (2032 posts) -

I never had any interest in PS2's exclusives. Gamecube was the best console that generation for me.

#21 Posted by locopatho (20222 posts) -

Xbox beat Gaemcube. Better hardware, better multiplats (hello, San Andreas), PC ports (hello, KOTOR, Fabel, Morrowwind, Pirates, Deus Ex), and some amazing exclusives too (Halo, NG, Forza, Crimson Dragon).

Purely exclusives, GC was better. Overall package? Xbox kills it.

#22 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Both of them destroy the PS2 as a console, the PS2 just had a much larger library.

Having had both since they launched, I can't really imagine having to choose...so tough.

I'm using the cop-out, it's a tie, both systems had several games that are 100% must-haves no question. Can't choose.

Edit: Xbox = 50.01%, Gamecube = 49.99%

The reason I went with Xbox was at the time I literally had no way to play any PC games so being able to play games like Morrowind, KoToR and Chronicles of Riddick on console were a godsend to me.

#23 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (768 posts) -

Thread brought to you by Neogaf.

#24 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

The Gamecube solely for Kirby Air Ride.

#25 Posted by Blabadon (26132 posts) -

As someone who only owned a GameCube that generation, Xbox. It's essentially Halo 1 and 2 vs Smash Bros. For that, I'll take Halo 1 and 2.

#26 Posted by Blabadon (26132 posts) -

The Gamecube solely for Kirby Air Ride.

Oh god I enjoyed this game.

Someone buy this man a drink.

#27 Posted by princeofshapeir (13950 posts) -

SSBM is really the best title of the 6th gen, so it's no contest. I bought a GC solely for Melee.

#28 Posted by navyguy21 (12814 posts) -

Id have to go with Xbox for no other reason but it had Kotor 1 and 2.......and Morrowind..............and Pirates...........and Deus Ex...........and the best version of ESPN NFL 2K5

#29 Posted by jg4xchamp (47843 posts) -

Yeah but Assault sucked more. Adventures was just a decent Zelda game with Fox.

On topic: Game

Because

Gamecube had
1: Metroid Prime
2: Resident Evil 4

Xbox Only had
1: Ninja Gaiden Black

Ergo Gamecube wins.

#30 Posted by Slashkice (13086 posts) -

The Gamecube had REmake, it wins.

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (56805 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Because

Gamecube had

Xbox Only had

Ergo Gamecube wins.

Isn't Halo: Combat Evolved also on your list of all time greats? I swear it was, or am I just making that up?

#32 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3748 posts) -

Xbox wins. Morrowind and KOTOR alone are enough for me to give it overall.. The best titles on it beat the best titles on the Gamecube in my opinion, and the amount of good titles far eclipse that of the Gamecube. The GC didn't sell well for a reason.. the amount of people acting as though they loved it are funny. A handful of good games does not make a great console when it has a small library and not much else going for it.

By the way... the GC controller sucks..

#33 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4927 posts) -

NGB alone puts the Xbox above the Cube for me. I played that game obsessively.

Honestly though, I considered them about even. Both only had a handful of titles that I cared about, but god damn they were some great titles.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (47843 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Because

Gamecube had

Xbox Only had

Ergo Gamecube wins.

Isn't Halo: Combat Evolved also on your list of all time greats? I swear it was, or am I just making that up?

I love Combat Evolved, but all timers? not sure. It would be in the Crimson Skies/Thousand Year Door tier I guess. Fantastic, memorable, but guaranteed a spot on my all time list like RE4, Prime, and NGB? Nah. Them games I have to think about it. I don't need to think about it with MP, RE4, and NGB.

#35 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17108 posts) -

Both of them destroy the PS2 as a console, the PS2 just had a much larger library.

Having had both since they launched, I can't really imagine having to choose...so tough.

I'm using the cop-out, it's a tie, both systems had several games that are 100% must-haves no question. Can't choose.

Edit: Xbox = 50.01%, Gamecube = 49.99%

The reason I went with Xbox was at the time I literally had no way to play any PC games so being able to play games like Morrowind, KoToR and Chronicles of Riddick on console were a godsend to me.

I 100% agree with that statement. I'll take the Xbox, Dreamcast, or GameCube over the ps2 easily.

#36 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16253 posts) -

Gamecube third party support sucked. I always thought of the gamecube as a secondary system, not something that was actually competing.

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (56805 posts) -

Xbox wins. Morrowind and KOTOR alone are enough for me to give it overall.. The best titles on it beat the best titles on the Gamecube in my opinion, and the amount of good titles far eclipse that of the Gamecube. The GC didn't sell well for a reason.. the amount of people acting as though they loved it are funny. A handful of good games does not make a great console when it has a small library and not much else going for it.

By the way... the GC controller sucks..

Er... the Gamecube and Xbox sold pretty much the exact same amount, so your argument would fall apart.

I love Combat Evolved, but all timers? not sure. It would be in the Crimson Skies/Thousand Year Door tier I guess. Fantastic, memorable, but guaranteed a spot on my all time list like RE4, Prime, and NGB? Nah. Them games I have to think about it. I don't need to think about it with MP, RE4, and NGB.

Ah. Yeah, you used to speak pretty highly of CE a few years ago, that probably threw me off lol.

#38 Edited by lamprey263 (23475 posts) -

Xbox was the better of the two systems here. Though the GameCube was nice as well, just a nice little box with little discs and weird unnecessarily weird controllers with short cords. Xbox shared a lot of the same multiplats with the PS2 but got superior ports. As far as long lasting appeal of the exclusives go the GameCube has an edge. My favorite though would have been Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox.

#39 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3760 posts) -

I loved my GameCube. I spent more time playing Double Dash and Melee than any other game on that generation of consoles.

Also I played one of the greatest games with one of the greatest controllers ever made and yes I am talking about Resident Evil 4 on the NGC!...

#40 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -

Gamecube was only a bit more powerful than PS2 despite coming out almost 2 years later, not "far & away" more powerful, this was in the age before we hit a brick wall known as diminishing returns, so GC having a very slightly better CPU/GPU made a noticeable different (RE4 PS2 vs GC is a good comparison)

That said both of them sucked

Xbox was just a Halo machine with multiplats that were far better on PC up the ass

Gamecube lacked games, ironic, Nintendo abandoned it early on & just sprinkled us with a few mediocre exclusives here & there, which is so sad since Gamecube started off so strong, arguably the best launch ever for a console, third party support was almost non existent, at least Xbox got good third party support, also No Rare

I voted GC because i put a ton of hours into Melee, other than that it collected dust most of that generation, i regret buying a GC day one since it crashed to $100 very quickly

#41 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5955 posts) -

I'd have to go with Xbox, but only just. Loved my GameCube as well.

Ahhh GC... the last proper Nintendo console.

#42 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4927 posts) -

unnecessarily weird controllers

I might be the only person in the world that agrees with you. I never understood the love for the Gamecube controller. It's not bad and it was way better than the 84 Impala of a controller that the Xbox started out with... but I always thought the Gamecube controller was weird just for the sake of it. And to see so many people obsess over it just boggles my mind.

#43 Posted by starwolf474 (603 posts) -

First of all, I disagree with the statement that PS2 was "far and away the best console of it's generation". I had all of the consoles and my PS2 impressed me the least.

Both GameCube and Xbox had better controllers than the PS2. Both GameCube and Xbox did more to push gaming forward than the PS2 did; Xbox with it's hard drive and online service; and GameCube with it's interconnectivity and wireless controller. PS2 always had the worst version of multiplats so I would never buy any multiplat game on that system. And while I'm sure the PS2 was the greatest thing ever for fans of Japanese RPGs; I hate that genre, so I enjoyed the Xbox and GameCube's exclusives more as well. So, I would definitely rank the PS2 in last place for that generation.

Now, between Xbox and GameCube, I'd have to say that during that time, I enjoyed my Xbox more. The Xbox was a breath of fresh air at that time. It was a very powerful and innovative console for it's time, I loved that it finally gave me a controller that wasn't designed for a kid's hands, I loved how they made online gaming a priority, and I loved how it brought in many Western developed games that previously would only appear on PC.

However, I feel that GameCube has stood the test of time better. I ended up eventually selling my Xbox since the games that I previously loved for it no longer hold my interest by today's standards, but I still own my GameCube since there are some games for that console that are still incredibly fun to play and have not been surpassed by any newer games yet.

#44 Edited by NoirLamia777 (2143 posts) -

GameCube, it's one of my favorite consoles.

#45 Posted by glez13 (8759 posts) -

Wasn't Chaos Theory on all systems?

#46 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4196 posts) -

1st party only tells half the story, which by the way on the GC was poor compared to the N64. Xbox also had a much better 3rd party and controller as well as 3rd party controllers, so you could actually play the stunning Capcom Vs SNK 2 games as well as others. On top of that it shared games like GTA, Fifa and Pro Evo with the PS2.

It's not even close. Honestly. I was a full on Nintendo fanboy coming off the N64 and the GC is when it turned to shit for Nintendo. Getting an Xbox was the best thing I did at the time when it came to gaming.

Xbox also had XBL.

#47 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26481 posts) -

@glez13 said:

Wasn't Chaos Theory on all systems?

Yeah, but it had the most praise on XBOX over the PS2/GameCube versions. It was the same with all the Splinter Cell's, but I didn't care when I played the first game (still don't).

Anyway, the answer is obvious: the GameCube. And as much as I like the PS2, I'd take the Cube over that too.

#48 Edited by m_machine024 (14894 posts) -

The one with Melee and Prime.

#49 Posted by Suppaman100 (3853 posts) -

Gamecube was the better console of the two without a doubt.

It hat REmake, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia and a great remake of Skies of Arcadia.

Meanwhile Xbox had some good shooters and some racing games that's it. Also Kotor and Shenmue 2 of course but not enough to redeem itself.

But who cares, PS2 sh*ts on both in every way possible. It's like comparing trash with gold.

#50 Posted by FastRobby (1437 posts) -

I had a N64 but then went for an Xbox, never looked back, oh wait not true, I bought the wii also, worst buy ever.