Remasters. Who's buying them if everyone hates them?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I've been curious about this for a while. I'll admit I bought an Xbox One literally for Halo MCC as I hadn't played all the Halo games. I also bought TLOU for PS4 because I never played the DLC on PS3.

I'm just not against the idea of remasters at all. Uncharted Trilogy I'm all over it, I only ever played the first one.

The thing that confuses me is... why do people claim to hate them so much when they are optional purchases? And also, if most people claim to hate them, who is buying them?

Publishers don't green light collections or remasters that don't sell. My guess is most of the people saying 'OMG not another fucking remaster' have already bought at least one and will quite happily buy more if the right ones come along.

Thoughts?

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

OP its like HOLLYCRAP remaking all my 80s classics..They make them..some people watch them..but they serve no purpose in the long run.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

People not complaining on the internet.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueinheaven

@VanDammFan said:

OP its like HOLLYCRAP remaking all my 80s classics..They make them..some people watch them..but they serve no purpose in the long run.

The movie analogy doesn't really work. Different actors, reworked script, shot completely differently the end result can be better or worse than the original (usually much worse) but with games they're just enhancing what was already there usually graphically I don't see how that's bad. Also, some people never played the originals, you could argue that's the market they're aiming for.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Remasters are now an expensive replacement for backwards compatibility.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@megane: very nicely put.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

People that don't hate them.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

The Master Chief Collection came into existence because of Halo 2 Anniversary, it was going to be just a remake of that game but they decided to update the others and add them too, it made sense.

The Resident Evil HD remaster made sense too, it only released on one marginally successful platform well over a decade ago though so not a lot of people got to experience it, it made sense.

The Nathan Drake Collection (lol that fucking name) doesn't really make sense aside from being a filler or prelude to Uncharted 4, it all reality it's not an old franchise and didn't need to be remastered.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Again these Remasters are optional, buy the game you like or shut up. Now then, these are the games I own as remasters.

1. The Last of Us: Remastered
  2. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  3. MCC

Soon to be Uncharted Trilogy Remastered.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't know buddy.... I only bought the DMC HD Collection and that was last gen.

Besides..... how much does it cost to put a fresh coat of paint on a golden oldie ?

Its not like they are making a brand new game from scratch which would cost more..... so honestly it doesn't even need to sell that much. Its easy money

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueinheaven

@megane said:

Remasters are now an expensive replacement for backwards compatibility.

That would be true if they were direct ports. Halo MCC and TLOU are big improvements on the originals. I would rather have improved versions of games I never played than backward compatibility.

Edit: Also, you can keep your old games nobody is forcing you to sell your old consoles. I have kept my PS3 and 360.

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

As a current 360 owner and prospective PS4 owner, I am more than happy that the PS3 greatest hits are being remastered across to PS4. In lieu of proper backwards compatibility, which was never really on the cards for a console as weirdly designed as the PS3, this is the best solution.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

There are some remasters that I think are worth the money - usually the collections.

So far MCC and Borderlands HC have caught my interest. I'd probably get a Mass Effect trilogy remaster if they made one.

I'd kill for a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster if they put the work in like 343 did with Halo 2.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueinheaven

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

There are some remasters that I think are worth the money - usually the collections.

So far MCC and Borderlands HC have caught my interest. I'd probably get a Mass Effect trilogy remaster if they made one.

I'd kill for a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster if they put the work in like 343 did with Halo 2.

Morrowind is my favourite RPG of all time though I don't know how much of that is down to fond memories. I can't imagine how it would work now with voice overs there was so much text in it I think they would just completely ruin it.

Some games just were never meant to be modernised. Morrowind, Planescape Torment, please remain unsullied lol.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Imagine if they did an entire Elder Scrolls collection...

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

lol they'd be patching it the entire generation

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blueinheaven

@Chozofication said:
@nyadc said:
@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

lol they'd be patching it the entire generation

No they wouldn't, they'd release a 'collection' mod kit so the unpaid mugs fix it for them.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Mostly just cows because of how few games they have to play and how much Sony likes remasters.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I won't lie I bought Borderlands the Handsome Collection but that is because I didn't own the Pre Sequel. I believe people who buy all the remasters get caught up in the nostalgic feel and some I believe buy it as a form of backwards compatibility like @megane said.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Remasters & re-releases I've purchased this gen include:

• Bayonetta (came with Bayonetta 2 if that counts)
  • Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
  • Devil Survivor: Overclocked
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • Limbo
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • Metro Redux
  • Minecraft (upgrade to Xbox One version from Xbox 360)
  • Resident Evil HD
  • Saints Row IV Re-Elected + Gat Out Of Hell
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • State of Decay
  • The Walking Dead (Season 1)
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Does Wii/WiiU/3DS VC count? Because I got lots there too.

Truth be told I'm not even close to done getting remasters & re-releases. I'd jump on top something like a Mass Effect or Dead Space trilogies, there was a rumor of an Arkham Something collection and heck maybe I'd get that too. Heck, even many of them that are out now that I don't have I still want, just waiting for an opportunistic time to acquire them.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blueinheaven

@360ru13r said:

I won't lie I bought Borderlands the Handsome Collection but that is because I didn't own the Pre Sequel. I believe people who buy all the remasters get caught up in the nostalgic feel and some I believe buy it as a form of backwards compatibility like @megane said.

I played Borderlands 1 on PC never played 2 or the pre sequel so I suppose I'm in the market for that too. Backwards compatibility sorry no I'm absolutely not buying that. An improved version is not the same, and there's nothing stopping you from keeping the console you already own if you want backwards compatibility.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Many are, and they think that by being selective that will somehow ensure that we only get remasters of games that "deserve it". Oh how wrong they are.

People can do what they like with their money, but they have no right to complain in 3 years when all they see is a sea of remasters.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

I've been curious about this for a while. I'll admit I bought an Xbox One literally for Halo MCC as I hadn't played all the Halo games. I also bought TLOU for PS4 because I never played the DLC on PS3.

I'm just not against the idea of remasters at all. Uncharted Trilogy I'm all over it, I only ever played the first one.

The thing that confuses me is... why do people claim to hate them so much when they are optional purchases? And also, if most people claim to hate them, who is buying them?

Publishers don't green light collections or remasters that don't sell. My guess is most of the people saying 'OMG not another fucking remaster' have already bought at least one and will quite happily buy more if the right ones come along.

Thoughts?

Well I see more people saying they are buying them than hating them, so I don't know how you got most hate them. I never paid a dime of my own money for one this gen. MCC, TR and TLOUR were all gifts.

Buying an X1 is optional but people express their hate for it here quite often. Why would it be any different for remasters?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Gamers who missed out on the games last gen, or who love the games and want the best version, are buying them.

The only people complaining are System Wars folks, who are bitter and hate everything anyway.

Normal gamers either like them or ignore them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@davillain- said:

Again these Remasters are optional, buy the game you like or shut up. Now then, these are the games I own as remasters.

3. MCC

That's just stupidity. All the platforms are optional but people complain, hate, criticize them. Being optional doesn't take away the right of expression.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

People like me who haven't played them before? The ones that hate are largely the minority ie this site.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueinheaven

@lamprey263 said:

Remasters & re-releases I've purchased this gen include:

• Bayonetta (came with Bayonetta 2 if that counts)
  • Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
  • Devil Survivor: Overclocked
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • Limbo
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • Metro Redux
  • Minecraft (upgrade to Xbox One version from Xbox 360)
  • Resident Evil HD
  • Saints Row IV Re-Elected + Gat Out Of Hell
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • State of Decay
  • The Walking Dead (Season 1)
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Does Wii/WiiU/3DS VC count? Because I got lots there too.

Truth be told I'm not even close to done getting remasters & re-releases. I'd jump on top something like a Mass Effect or Dead Space trilogies, there was a rumor of an Arkham Something collection and heck maybe I'd get that too. Heck, even many of them that are out now that I don't have I still want, just waiting for an opportunistic time to acquire them.

That's some list you got there and I have to say it's admirable, no sarcasm. I love the idea of better versions of games I have missed. Mass Effect Trilogy I am there day one as well. It seems to me it's something gamers should embrace as an extra on top of all the other games but instead they want to think everything is just remasters. The majority of my collection so far is originals or sequels specially on PC.

And I'll say again a remaster is not a port so backwards compatibility does not come into it. Having said that Uncharted Trilogy so far sounds like a straight port I don't see why they would hide a proper remaster so that could turn out to be the one that's the most disappointing.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

On PS4 I have The Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider DE, Saints Row 4, and preordered the Uncharted Collection. I also have RE Remake HD but it's not a last gen remaster.

Uncharted Collection will be the final last gen remaster I purchase though as it's the last one I wanted. If any of you have a problem with me buying the games I want with the money I earned, you've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit about your opinion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Love it. Bring on Vesperia HD w/Japanese exclusive content! Honestly these collections are great for games with a bunch of dlc because those just don't really drop in price.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

People that didnt play/buy the game when it first came out get a better game with remasters

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Buy it, don't buy it, who gives a shit.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@davillain- said:

3. MCC

That's just stupidity. All the platforms are optional but people complain, hate, criticize them. Being optional doesn't take away the right of expression.

I'm only saying the new IP games are coming, it just takes time and these game developers have underestimate the current-gen consoles, it's taking these new IP games/sequels way longer then we thought. Remasters are just fillers for the time being but whining gamers don't seem to understand this.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@VanDammFan said:

The movie analogy doesn't really work. Different actors, reworked script, shot completely differently the end result can be better or worse than the original (usually much worse) but with games they're just enhancing what was already there usually graphically I don't see how that's bad. Also, some people never played the originals, you could argue that's the market they're aiming for.

yea i guess i can see that..i do have a handful of games I would LOVE to see remastered..SUCH AS.. Twisted Metal 1 and 2...the original Ghost Recon and Island Thunder...SSX and SSX Tricky..ALSO in SSX and Tricky make the snowflake detection actually "DETECT"..lol

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the people that claim to hate Call of Duty and remasters and all that stuff it's people like us that come to forums, that watch and leave comments on youtube. People that search info about video games multiple times a week, people that get exited over stuff like E3... But there are a shit ton of more people that play games and don't give a single **** about the community itself or the industry. They just play games.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

TLoU, Borderlands Collection are the only ones i own right now. i plan of buying the Nathan Drake Collection and Mass Effect Trilogy if they announce one

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

I have nothing against Remasters, to be honest.

It really comes down to never playing them and that allows new comers to experience them and that's fair enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The only remaster I ever bought was DMC HD collection, and even that at half price and just because its my favorite series. I wont ever support remasters anymore (Well, besides REmake that I still have yet to play)

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#38 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I've picked up a few myself.

• Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
  • Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • Okami HD
xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I have the MCC, and I will get Gears of War if they make that a collection. I am ok with the collection type thing(multiple games) but just making one game no thank you, then again if that game is really something special and $20 or less I may be interested lol

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#40 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I think the only people who buy them are those who are fans or never got the chance to play them the first time around. Not against remasters I just see it as optional to support the developer to continue the franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

the internet. cause it always has something to bitch about.

oh and I would love a demon souls remaster. :D

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

The internet doesn't match reality in many ways, and remaster purchases are a perfect example of it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I only get remasters of games I never played before. I got Last of Us because I missed it on ps3, and I got RE on ps4 because I only experienced the original game on the DS. I wanted to play something that looked better so that game is the only exception.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#44  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Collection remasters are alright in my book. MP Trilogy for example, but when you have a single game going for $40+ because there's no BC that's bullshit. Thank goodness on PC I don't have to worry about generational transitions killing my ability to play older games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Chozofication said:

People not complaining on the internet.

+People who never bought/played the games+people who really love those games.

Not a difficult concept. Besides they are easy to make, and have a great return on investment. Expect more of them. Just remember that when all this gets too much to thank Sony, because just like Microsoft must take the blame for DLC and paid for online, Sony must then take the blame for remasters.

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

People complaining are in the minority, when you realize that it all makes sense.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I am not a fan of remasters. The reason being is this could be an avalanche waiting to happen.

Less effort is required to remaster a game than create a new one from scratch.

If people keep paying full price for these games, it will be more profitable to remaster than create new IP.

Ultimately it is a money game.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I don't think it's as much hate for Remasters as it is concern that studios are making remasters instead of bothering with new releases. Going for the quick buck so to speak.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The same people who buy Justin Bieber albums.

Also we need a "where are they now" thread. I miss GrenadeLauncher and B4X........... Shawn30...........CrownKingArthur......

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

I really hate/dont understand the hate that remasters get in the gaming community.

This coming from someone who purchased The Last of Us: Remastered, despite owning both the PS3 game, and the season pass + all DLC for the PS3 game. Also, from someone who is going to get the Uncharted: Nathan Drake collection solely for the Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta. And I intend to indulge in the Master Chief Collection first thing once I get an Xbox One.

They arent meant for you. They are meant for people who havent played the games. They almost always are developed either by outsourced 2nd party b & c studios who pretty much only do ports/remasters. Or if the main studio does it themselves, its usually a small job done by like 7 guys in the corner of the studio. They almost never consume valuble development resources.

The thing I hate far more than remasters, is cross gen games.