Remasters should only be done for console exclusives

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

The remasters diarrhea that the industry is having needs to stop. You either do a proper remake, or remaster of a console exclusive. We already have seen most of the remasters in 60 fps in 1080p before, they are on PC. Why are we spending money again to remaster a game that has already been remastered?

Capcom's decision to remaster 2 DMC games instead of making a new one is very stupid and insulting for gamers.

The only games that may justify their remasters are console exclusives, like TLOU on PS3 or Halo on X360 or GTA5. These games which have suffered due to the limitations of the last gen. consoles, these are the ones that deserve a proper remaster to wash the dirt off and make them shine.

So are you a supporter for these kinds of remasters or against them? what do you think SW?

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

I'm for remasters only if the game is at least 2 generations old.

Remastering games that just came out 1/2 years before just reeks of nickel and diming.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@2mrw said:

The remasters diarrhea that the industry is having needs to stop. You either do a proper remake, or remaster of a console exclusive. We already have seen most of the remasters in 60 fps in 1080p before, they are on PC. Why are we spending money again to remaster a game that has already been remastered?

Because it makes money. Again, now that backwards compatibility is no more, studios can take the pc versions, easily port them over thanks to the current console architecture, give them the 1080p 60fps treatment, plus abit of new content, and done.

It's easier and more effective than ever.

I don't like it, but, hey, it's what it is

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

These remasters don't bother me, they are quick easy releases and don't take away from new games being developed. Actually these rereleases are probably helping fund them. I would disagree that only exclusives should be remastered because there is no backwards compatibility with the new consoles and a lot people haven't played these games coming out. It's not like people who have only a Wii U and can buy Wii games to play on it.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I have no problems with remasters and buy them for games that I like. They require very little time and resources to make, especially if they were already remastered on PC, and don't take away from new games being made, so I don't understand why anybody has a problem with them.

If you don't feel that they are worth buying then simply don't buy them. You'll still get your new games, the people that love the game enough to feel that it is worth buying again will get to experience a better version of the game on their new console, the people that never got to play it in the past will get to experience the game for the first time, and the developers of the game get to make easy money that will help fund making new games for you. Everybody wins, so what's the problem?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I don't mind if it's something quite old that I still love to play, adds widescreen support, gets the multiplayer up and running again, adds mod support, things like that. Don't see the point in a 720p to 1080p "re-master" though personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

...or just on a demand basis. For example, Metroid Prime Trilogy is expensive and hard to come by. Many gamers would be very pleased to have an hd trilogy released on Wiiu. Those types of "remasters" I'm fine with.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@DefconRave said:

Remastering games that just came out 1/2 years before just reeks of nickel and diming.

Eh...not everyone bought the games or was gaming on the consoles then. I don't see the big deal. If you have the games....don't buy them over.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Me and many other fans waiting 12 long years for Capcom to bring Resident Evil Remake to a PlayStation says otherwise.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@DefconRave said:

Same here.

I don't want to see last gen shit. I want to see shit being remastered that could actually use the graphical upgrade.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts
@2mrw said:

We already have seen most of the remasters in 60 fps in 1080p before, they are on PC.

Not everyone has a PC nor care about getting one powerful enough to then beg for them console games because you don't care about indie trash, you know, shitty AAAE games like this one that nobody cares about.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

They are selling, so they'll keep making them. Once they stop selling, they stop making them. Pretty simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@Gue1 said:
@2mrw said:

We already have seen most of the remasters in 60 fps in 1080p before, they are on PC.

Not everyone has a PC nor care about getting one powerful enough to then beg for them console games because you don't care about indie trash, you know, shitty AAAE games like this one that nobody cares about.

Not everyone CAN AFFORD or understand the workings of a high-end gaming PC. So the first part is half-true. The second half is a ridiculous claim related to fact you can't afford a gaming PC.

People who petition for console releases on PC own, or have owned, a console. They just want it to be released on a platform that can actually run the game above 20 fps and doesn't have shitty controls. Or, ya know, they want ONE device to play ALL games, since they almost already have that by owning a gaming PC anyway.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

To play devil's advocate:

If what Capcom has claimed is true, that they are in financial trouble and needed Sony's help to fund Street Fighter V, then them doing remasters of two of their more popular titles to generate some income to justify and make a new one possible, then why would anyone have a problem with that?

To be myself, Capcom is full of shit and made SFV console-exclusive for the sake of "Sony gave us money to do it".

That all said, if these titles come to PC, I'll definitely be interested in buying them. I have no problems buying multiple copies of games I really love on different platforms (I own DMC4 on 360). I literally own three copies of Arkham City, and have beaten all their respective story modes and about 50% of the challenge rooms.

As for remasters of games that came out a year earlier and are pretty much an up-res'd GOTY Edition for $60... well **** that shit.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@2mrw said:

Why are we spending money again to remaster a game that has already been remastered?

If you spend money on something you don't want then you're an idiot. Plain and simple.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 2mrw

@Telekill said:

Me and many other fans waiting 12 long years for Capcom to bring Resident Evil Remake to a PlayStation says otherwise.

This is exactly my point, I am so glad that RE is coming to the current gen. of consoles, because the game wasn't available but on GC. Now many players can experience the game in full HD. if it was available on PC, then we may have to reconsider.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts
@DefconRave said:

Pretty much this, excluding GTA V.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2mrw

@nethernova said:
@2mrw said:

Why are we spending money again to remaster a game that has already been remastered?

If you spend money on something you don't want then you're an idiot. Plain and simple.

I was putting myself in the companies shoes.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Remastering very old games is OK in my book (not some year old game in 1080p). Can't wait for Homeworld Remastered.