REmake's remaster looks extremely underwhelming

• 67 results
#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8373 posts) -

Does anyone else share the same sentiment? I've seen several videos showing the game in action and I can barely notice any improvements over the original GameCube version from 13 years ago. I think it's the laziest port job one could ever do. But then again, going by Capcom's track records, maybe that wasn't so unexpected, was it?

I think that the only good thing about this remaster is that people who hadn't owned GameCube will get to play this masterpiece.

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6961 posts) -

Remastering a remake.

Has it really come down to this? :(

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

PC gamers have only been stuck with lesser titles, for them, this is a new experience. They are no doubt thankful (as with most modern games) that console publishers are giving them the privileged to enjoy such a product.

#4 Posted by silversix_ (14082 posts) -

Its kinda pathetic really. Its like they've released systems without thinking in advance that new games for these systems are needed

#5 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6961 posts) -

PC gamers have only been stuck with lesser titles, for them, this is a new experience. They are no doubt thankful (as with most modern games) that console publishers are giving them the privileged to enjoy such a product.

We would no doubt be thankful if the mods banned you from posting.

#6 Posted by dakan45 (18556 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: We have all the re games, including this one with dolphin.

Honestly this remake on gamecube was pretty meh compared to the previous games. First of all the map is a freakiing mess, its nothing like the original game.

#7 Edited by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

Its kinda pathetic really. Its like they've released systems without thinking in advance that new games for these systems are needed

They have new games in development.. a lot of them to be honest.

No.. the purpose of this is to squeeze more money out of consumers.. it's a back door way to get around backwards compatibility. And I called this before the XBO/PS4 launched.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Theres only so many times you can keep Polishing a turd... :p

#9 Posted by Animal-Mother (26554 posts) -

It's almost 15 years old. It can be kinda hard and expensive to redo everything.

I'm happy it's just coming at all.

#10 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3481 posts) -

It looks pretty good, noticeably sharper than the GC and Wii versions (which still look good). No, RE4 HD was the laziest port job. This one actually looks like they put some effort into it.

#11 Edited by ChronosChris (205 posts) -
#12 Edited by General_Solo76 (169 posts) -

I'd wait to judge it until I see it in person first. You really can't tell the quality of the games graphics by watching compressed videos on the internet. A good example of this would be the recent Last of Us PS4 remaster. I thought it looked basically the same when watching comparison videos on the internet, but I bought the game anyway and came away thoroughly impressed. I was just playing it yesterday, and decided to pop in the PS3 version after playing the PS4 game. It looks incredibly blurry by comparison to the gorgeous PS4 version. So imo, it's best to judge these remakes in person before jumping to conclusions.

#13 Posted by clone01 (24532 posts) -

0/10.

#14 Edited by Legend002 (7029 posts) -

I'm just happy to be able to play it with a dualshock and earn trophies.

#15 Posted by Roler42 (600 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: "Lazy port", so you already played it? I thought it wouldn't release until next year!

#16 Posted by clone01 (24532 posts) -

Meh...I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel. I thought it looked pretty good. I would consider getting it if the price is right.

#17 Edited by RR360DD (11616 posts) -

Yeah the differences really aren't that big, they could certainly do a lot better but I still want it. Lets hope they do RE2 remake next.

#18 Edited by KillzoneSnake (1693 posts) -

Looks good to me. The only problem i see is no RE2 or 3.

#19 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Consoles and their REhashes.

#20 Edited by gameofthering (10138 posts) -

@RR360DD: Yeah, I hope that it being on more platforms will allow for it to sell good. At least enough for them to consider a REmake 2.

#21 Posted by Doozie78 (166 posts) -

My question is why did they bother with this? No good ideas for new games I'm guessing? It's not like there's a large group of people who even wanted this to happen.

#22 Posted by Vecna (3384 posts) -

Consoles are seriously a joke. This supposed next gen is the same one only in slightly higher resolution.

#23 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

I hope the remaster Pac Man next.

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@cainetao11

Because the modern Pac Man games have lost touch with their roots ?

#25 Posted by jdc6305 (3805 posts) -

I have the gamecube version and I've been wanting to play it I'm just too lazy to hook up the tube tv. I can't wait to play it on PS4 the game looks amazing.

#26 Posted by jg4xchamp (47386 posts) -

It's a 2002 game with a higher resolution, the fuck were you expecting?

Regardless the gameplay is good, so I'm down for a steam sale on that game.

#27 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

underwhelming for sure. Especially considering that there is a static camera, the game ought to be virtually photorealistic

#28 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

The problem is they didn't rerender the original prerendered background assets at a higher resolution, so the 3D models are going to stick out like a sore thumb in this game. They should have just redid the backgrounds in real time. It is unfortunate as this is game is the definitive version of Resident Evil.

#29 Posted by delta3074 (17901 posts) -

Does anyone else share the same sentiment? I've seen several videos showing the game in action and I can barely notice any improvements over the original GameCube version from 13 years ago. I think it's the laziest port job one could ever do. But then again, going by Capcom's track records, maybe that wasn't so unexpected, was it?

I think that the only good thing about this remaster is that people who hadn't owned GameCube will get to play this masterpiece.

i completed the game 42 times to get the message from Capcom, i would be ok straight port of the Gamecube version TBH.

Best resident evil ever made, series went down hill for me after that.

As much as i like REsi 4,5 and 6 they just don't Feel like resident evil, they are awesome games in there own right but the storyline just went stupid they lack the Tension and atmosphere of resi 1 and 2 and it's too easy to unlock the nice guns, you have to complete REmake in under 3 hours to get the rocket launcher.

Trust me, it can be done,lol

#30 Posted by delta3074 (17901 posts) -
@emgesp said:

The problem is they didn't rerender the original prerendered background assets at a higher resolution, so the 3D models are going to stick out like a sore thumb in this game. They should have just redid the backgrounds in real time. It is unfortunate as this is game is the definitive version of Resident Evil.

so it would have been better if they had don ea straight port with some AA thrown in really.

#31 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

@delta3074 said:
@emgesp said:

so it would have been better if they had don ea straight port with some AA thrown in really.

Agreed, but then you could just get the Wii version since it is 480p and component cables are cheap, or play it on the Wii U.

I just personally think only rerendering the 3D models and not the backgrounds is going to look like crap. If you ever played a game with prerendered backgrounds on an emulator at a higher resolution then you'll get an idea of how this will look.

#32 Posted by delta3074 (17901 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@delta3074 said:
@emgesp said:

Agreed, but then you could just get the Wii version since it is 480p and component cables are cheap, or play it on the Wii U.

Another reason for me to buy a Wii-U methinks.

#33 Edited by Articuno76 (18749 posts) -

@emgesp: True. But the source assets were at a higher resolution than the GC could output so it's still a resolution boost. The boost in clarity and detail in the pre-renders in the comparison screens shows this.... either that or they are using one hell of a filter.

I agree that the characters look a bit at odds with the backgrounds, but I think the blurriness of the original image was what helped them look cohesive in the first place. Guess it's like a blu-ray remaster of an old film where suddenly you can see the imperfections in the make-up and stunt wires.

#34 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

@Articuno76:

Yes, for the backgrounds they are using a sharpening filter. They didn't boost the resolution of the backgrounds, only the 3D models got a resolution boost. Capcom just wanted to be lazy and make a quick "remaster". This could have looked much better if they found those original assets, or better yet just completely remake those backgrounds in real time.

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@cainetao11

Because the modern Pac Man games have lost touch with their roots ?

I thought I was alone.........

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@cainetao11

I was being slightly sarcastic. And I expeced that to be case.... You need Catharsis man... Big Time !

#37 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4042 posts) -

They need to let the first one go imo, I don't even like the first Resident Evil that much.

Why don't they for once listen to what their fans ask for and do the second.

#38 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! They Should never ever listen to anybody ! Fans can't even express what it is they want exactly.

#39 Posted by Litchie (16226 posts) -

Why would they sacrifice their money to put effort into something that doesn't need it to sell? Like you said, no that wasn't unexpected. Why anyone would think there would be some kind of effort put into it is beyond me. They keep releasing crap, people buy their crap.

#40 Posted by Star650 (4572 posts) -

I look forward to it, played the original version on PS1 & remake on NGC which was 10x better than the original imo .

I wouldn't be surprised if RE0 is the next game to get a remaster version for next & current gen consoles. It all depands on how well remake does.

#41 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

What exactly were you expecting? Were you expecting them to remake the game or something? Its a remaster for godsake.

#42 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Articuno76:

Yes, for the backgrounds they are using a sharpening filter. They didn't boost the resolution of the backgrounds, only the 3D models got a resolution boost. Capcom just wanted to be lazy and make a quick "remaster". This could have looked much better if they found those original assets, or better yet just completely remake those backgrounds in real time.

Its hard to say if those background assets still even exist on a hard drive at this point.

I disagree completely with the idea of remaking the backgrounds. That would lead to a dramatic change in art style and design. I like games with pre-rendered backgrounds, it shows that the developers thought of unique and creative ways around game hardware at the time. I think to replace those sorts of assets would be a disservice to the original team.

#43 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24919 posts) -

Remastering a remake.

Has it really come down to this? :(

Capcom is seeing some hard times. If only they didn't cancel Legends 3 this wouldn't have happened.

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

One word:

Capcom

#45 Edited by Gue1 (9503 posts) -

the game's mostly pre-rendered. Is not like they can do anything beside better character models without having to redo everything from scratch.

#46 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3887 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: they lost the original assets of the game thats why there is barely any difference. but its still beats not being able to play it at all except on gc

#47 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Steam sale or rental is what it looks like.

#48 Posted by drummerdave9099 (652 posts) -

Have games really become unbearable if the graphics aren't something to write home about?

Was this always such a big issue in the past?

#49 Posted by princeofshapeir (13776 posts) -

Who the hell still wants to play Resident Evil 1 at this point? For some reason Capcom thinks it and Resident Evil 4 were the only Resident Evil games ever made.

#50 Posted by vickissv2 (1755 posts) -

Everybody knows you could have been played this game in 1080p for years on a PC with Dolphin and a 360 controller!