Reggie: "pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U"

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75419 posts) -

Link

The Seattle Times was recently able to interview Reggie Fils-Aime and he was asked if the Wii U will ever outsell the Playstation 4 and Xbox One and this is the answer he gave them:

The dirty little secret is if you look at life-to-date numbers, between Sony and Nintendo they’d be pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U, with Xbox coming in third place. I think it’s going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle.

Ever since the launch of Mario Kart 8 the Wii U has seen its sales increased, and this may have inspired Fils-Aime’s “fighting words.” We’ll have to wait and see if the Wii U will manage to be on par with the other current generation platforms from here on out.

#2 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

drop the fucking price nintendo

#3 Posted by Blabadon (29235 posts) -

I doubt it given in a few years. Nintendo's policies and name being attached to something can be a negative in the eyes of potential buyers.

#4 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

MK8 didn't do anything in Japan. I'm sure it boosted up a bit in the U.S. and Europe but those numbers are most likely still a decent amount behind PS4 and will stop within a couple months. Wii U will never outsell PS4. It won't even outsell Xbox One which should pass it soon.

#5 Posted by sam890 (1108 posts) -

We would have to put all Lems on suicide watch if Wii U overtook X1 which is very very unlikely.

#6 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3287 posts) -

@sam890 said:

We would have to put all Lems on suicide watch if Wii U overtook X1 which is very very unlikely.

Overtook? It's still ahead of the x1 in terms of overall sales.

#7 Posted by Telekill (5374 posts) -

Oh! I see the confusion here. He meant to say Wii U is about equal to the PSV.

#8 Edited by dobzilian (2817 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey: Cant do the link no better, sorry Dude.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/mario_kart_8_claims_top_spot_in_japanese_charts_wii_u_remains_as_number_one_home_console

here you go Flames. Linky.

#9 Posted by Heil68 (48767 posts) -

Yeah ok Reggie, we understand.

#10 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Makes me wonder if he saw last month's NPD. PS4 outsold both Xbone and WiiU combined lol

#11 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

@FlamesOfGrey: Cant do the link no better, sorry Dude.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/mario_kart_8_claims_top_spot_in_japanese_charts_wii_u_remains_as_number_one_home_console

here you go Flames. Linky.

I know what the Media Create numbers are and they're poor. I expected Nintendo's biggest seller to move upwards to 100,000 units if not more. This weeks MC shows shows nothing but decreasing Wii U sales even though MK8 is the top seller software wise.

#12 Posted by super600 (31248 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@dobzilian said:

@FlamesOfGrey: Cant do the link no better, sorry Dude.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/mario_kart_8_claims_top_spot_in_japanese_charts_wii_u_remains_as_number_one_home_console

here you go Flames. Linky.

I know what the Media Create numbers are and they're poor. I expected Nintendo's biggest seller to move upwards to 100,000 units if not more. This weeks MC shows shows nothing but decreasing Wii U sales even though MK8 is the top seller software wise.

Software won't ever move numbers like that for any handheld or console in Japan in a non-holiday month now a days.So I don't know why you expected Mario Kart 8 to boost the WiiU all the way to 100k in Japan for a week.

#13 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@dobzilian said:

@FlamesOfGrey: Cant do the link no better, sorry Dude.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/mario_kart_8_claims_top_spot_in_japanese_charts_wii_u_remains_as_number_one_home_console

here you go Flames. Linky.

I know what the Media Create numbers are and they're poor. I expected Nintendo's biggest seller to move upwards to 100,000 units if not more. This weeks MC shows shows nothing but decreasing Wii U sales even though MK8 is the top seller software wise.

If that was your expectation you know damn near nothing of the Japanese market. That level of sales is unheard of in Japan outside of holiday months and like pokemon/monster hunter releases.

#14 Edited by sam890 (1108 posts) -

@ninjapirate2000 said:

@sam890 said:

We would have to put all Lems on suicide watch if Wii U overtook X1 which is very very unlikely.

Overtook? It's still ahead of the x1 in terms of overall sales.

I haven't been keeping up with sales, i'm surprised.

#15 Posted by MonsieurX (32199 posts) -

Price drop + SSB for Christmas,do it.

#16 Posted by darkspineslayer (20760 posts) -

Life to date? As in your comparing your two years on the market to their several months?

Get real Reggie. Yeah, your not going to be all like "yeah, Sony is kicking our ass", but be realistic that Nintendo flubbed this and needs to keep working to fix it.

#17 Edited by dobzilian (2817 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey: I dunno, ive not kept upto speed with stats and stuff with Consoles as been to busy playing FFXIV on PS3 and W101, Deus Ex, Ninja Gaiden 3 RE. I just thought I would give you a link so you cam debate with others. I was looking up Capcom IP history.

#18 Posted by Nike_Air (18459 posts) -

Xbone is DEAD Last. Microsoft has a lot of work to if it wants to catch up to Nintendo , who are riding high with Mario Kart 8 and winning E3 by ruling the twittersphere.

@ninjapirate2000 said:

@sam890 said:

We would have to put all Lems on suicide watch if Wii U overtook X1 which is very very unlikely.

Overtook? It's still ahead of the x1 in terms of overall sales.

Yup. Xbone is DEAD LAST. Microsoft has a lot of work to if it wants to catch up to Nintendo's promising console , which is riding high with system seller Mario Kart 8 and winning E3 by ruling the twittersphere - a key battleground.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75419 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

drop the fucking price nintendo

It's the price that's preventing me to get one. With the current games on it, i just can't justify it

#20 Posted by jsmoke03 (13476 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

The Seattle Times was recently able to interview Reggie Fils-Aime and he was asked if the Wii U will ever outsell the Playstation 4 and Xbox One and this is the answer he gave them:

The dirty little secret is if you look at life-to-date numbers, between Sony and Nintendo they’d be pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U, with Xbox coming in third place. I think it’s going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle.

Ever since the launch of Mario Kart 8 the Wii U has seen its sales increased, and this may have inspired Fils-Aime’s “fighting words.” We’ll have to wait and see if the Wii U will manage to be on par with the other current generation platforms from here on out.

he doesnt have to spin it. only gamers who read forums this sh!t anyway. we know how it is. and ps4 zoomed past them like 2 months ago right?

reggie is horrible. he needs to be replaced....as well as iwata

#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26763 posts) -

He should have fought to keep the momentum going by bringing Fatal Frame 2 &4, Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, and Dragon Quest X for WiiU this summer.

Oh well indies and retail Wii Sports it is then.

#22 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

drop the fucking price nintendo

It's the price that's preventing me to get one. With the current games on it, i just can't justify it

yeah they can just come out with a version that just has the pro controller instead of the WiiU table thing, that alone would drop the price by $50.

#23 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

6 million+ since November 2012 https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/50x60q90/98/mysmilie1902gifqv1.png

8 million+ since November 2013 https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/51x60q90/527/kazlaughml2.png

#24 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

wait a three horse race, well, there's the wii u, steambox, who's the other one?

#25 Posted by _Matt_ (9591 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

wait a three horse race, well, there's the wii u, steambox, who's the other one?

That would be my pc.

#26 Posted by trugs26 (6205 posts) -

Way to spin it Reggie. I guess that's what you gotta say when dealing with PR.

#27 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

wait a three horse race, well, there's the wii u, steambox, who's the other one?

That would be my pc.

oh yeah sorry i forgot.

well if that's the case then yeah reggie is right, it's gonna be a close race.

i think steambox has a good chance because Linux is very edgy, and clearly has the most appeal for the under-5's.

#28 Edited by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

Delusional.

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153511 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

Life to date? As in your comparing your two years on the market to their several months?

Get real Reggie. Yeah, your not going to be all like "yeah, Sony is kicking our ass", but be realistic that Nintendo flubbed this and needs to keep working to fix it.

LOL...ironically last gen the 360 was touted though it had a year on the PS3.

#30 Edited by misterpmedia (4676 posts) -

#31 Posted by _Matt_ (9591 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

wait a three horse race, well, there's the wii u, steambox, who's the other one?

That would be my pc.

oh yeah sorry i forgot.

well if that's the case then yeah reggie is right, it's gonna be a close race.

i think steambox has a good chance because Linux is very edgy, and clearly has the most appeal for the under-5's.

It's ok, it's easy to forget these things.

#32 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

hahaha

#33 Posted by LadyBlue (4252 posts) -

Reggie, what's wrong with you?

can't believe no one said it....

#34 Posted by OhSnapitz (18842 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@darkspineslayer said:

Life to date? As in your comparing your two years on the market to their several months?

Get real Reggie. Yeah, your not going to be all like "yeah, Sony is kicking our ass", but be realistic that Nintendo flubbed this and needs to keep working to fix it.

LOL...ironically last gen the 360 was touted though it had a year on the PS3.

The 360 didn't sell in Japan due to regional bias.. When the PS3 sold well everywhere. Not exactly a "fair" comparison but you do make a good point.

#35 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

Roflmao

#36 Posted by drummerdave9099 (995 posts) -

Guys you may not have jobs yet, but I'll teach you a lesson about them right now so you know for the future.

When you have competition and they're beating you, you don't say "they're better than us and they're beating us"

Saying that would lose you support and maybe even your job. I'm glad you know now so you don't get fired in the future for something you didn't know was wrong.

#37 Posted by nini200 (10823 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Oh! I see the confusion here. He meant to say Wii U is about equal to the PSV.

The PS5 isn't out yet but wow you are optimistic aren't you?

#38 Posted by ZombeGoast (437 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

drop the fucking price nintendo

If price is what concerns you then get a job.Its the cheapest out of the other systems.are you really complaining?

#39 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (1238 posts) -

He gets paid for PR. He's doing a great job at it.

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75419 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow: paying 600 bucks for that console is way to expensive for me

#41 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75419 posts) -

@jsmoke03: i agree, something needs to be done, Wii U has been out for almost two years now and it's getting killed