Reggie: Our Digital Sales Are Soaring, Pace of Wii U Will Change Going Into E3

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

The experiment is paying off. Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, says digital downloads are fast becoming a notable contributor to the company's bottom line - and he expects the trend to continue its rapid rise.

"We have 15 Nintendo-published titles available, both physically and digitally [on the 3DS]," he says. "So far in 2013, of those 15 available in this format, 11 percent of sales have come through full digital downloads of those games."

The numbers get more impressive with some individual titles. Fils-Aime says Fire Emblem Awakening has sold 240,000 units life-to-date in the US - with one-third of those in digital form.

"When the NPD numbers come out later this week, you're going to see life-to-date 3DS game sales surpass 20 million units in the US," says Fils-Aime. "And that's just physical. It doesn't include digital sales. ... So far in 2013 - through April 15 - 3DS game sales are up 55 percent versus last year, counting both physical and digital."

The 3DS was criticized initially for a slow ramp of games, something Nintendo has tried to counter with releases like Luigi's Mansion (which Fils-Aime says has sold 415,000 units so far) and today's Nintendo Direct announcements. Over the next nine months, he says, "the pace is going to be dramatically ramped up."

"What I would say about Wii U - and what Mr. Iwata has said - is that the pace of launches has been slower than we hoped. But as we prepare for E3, the pace of launches for Wii U is going to dramatically increase."

It's kind of ironic that the least online savvy competitor was able to get day one digital releases right first, but there you have it. I'm certain this is going to be the trend going forward for everyone and it makes sense, however I wish this happened last generation. There's still some rare titles to find, having them digitally would've made things much easier.

I'm taking this as a hint that E3 will be heavily focused on Wii U and showcasing software, as it should be. Let's see, 2 months away.

Link.

#2 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Fire Emblem doing well digitally probably had something to do with the botched launch of the physical copies. That said, Nintendo is slowly getting a good grasp of a proper online service. Here's hoping they can do the same with the Wii-U. That's the system that really needs the support right now.

#3 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17223 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I feel the Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter digital sales were forced by intentional low amounts available at retail. charizard1605
I think it was probably more Nintendo shipping conservatively because neither Fire Emblem nor Monster Hunter are huge sellers. No clue what happened with Luigi's Mansion though.

Shipping conservatively? WHo does that? They know they have to ship to meet demand. THey have number crunchers for this. I doubt a big company like them don't know how many copies of a game to ship.

You can plead ignorance. Oh nintendo didn't know their would be such high demand. OKAY. Nintendo who hav been in this business for eons don't know demand for their games? Yeah right. 

#4 Posted by Slashkice (13008 posts) -

It's kind of ironic that the least online savvy competitor was able to get day one digital releases right first, but there you have it.

Haziqonfire

Sony actually did it first with the Vita.

Anyways, glad they're continuing to push things on the digital side. It just makes sense for handhelds.

#5 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

I'm surprised that games available at retail sold that well digitally too. I'm wondering what kind of numbers games like Pushmo are pulling off as eShop only. Must be great seeing all the sequels, new announcements and how all 3rd party indies flock to the platform.

Given 3DS' known upcoming games and confirmed Wii U megaton-tier games to have a presence at E3; yes it will definitely be Wii U focused.

#6 Posted by Shirokishi_ (11194 posts) -

Nintendo pulled some pretty decent surprises for the 3DS so here's hoping theyll do the same for the Wii U this E3. There has to be alot though. The Wii U needs to present a promising future.

#7 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
People like having access to all of their games at anytime. Digital distributed media/games and mobile devices/handhelds are a match made in heaven. Nintendo just needs to make accessing those games easier, or at all, if you ever lose your 3ds.
#8 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -
Nintendo really did a remarkable turnaround with the eShop; it's not surprising that the eShop is doing as well as it is.
#9 Posted by KungfuKitten (20768 posts) -

People like having access to all of their games at anytime. Digital distributed media/games and mobile devices/handhelds are a match made in heaven. Nintendo just needs to make accessing those games easier, or at all, if you ever lose your 3ds. MFDOOM1983

Yesh.

#10 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Releasing one game would dramatically increase the pace of Wiiu releases.

#11 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
The only issue I have right now with purchasing digitally is that everything is tied to the system. Account based please :(.
#12 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I just wish Nintendo's online worked like Steam where you could get on any system, log in, and download your games.

I love the idea of downloading my whole library to a handheld, but I dislike the idea that the games are tied to the system.

#13 Posted by TilxWLOC (1029 posts) -

The only issue I have right now with purchasing digitally is that everything is tied to the system. Account based please :(.

Haziqonfire

I believe the digital purchases are semi-account based on 3DS, so if you lose your 3DS you can get your games back, but not on the Wii U. If you mean playing games on multiple 3DSs I don't think they do that, would be cool though.

#14 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Shipping conservatively? WHo does that? They know they have to ship to meet demand. THey have number crunchers for this. I doubt a big company like them don't know how many copies of a game to ship.

You can plead ignorance. Oh nintendo didn't know their would be such high demand. OKAY. Nintendo who hav been in this business for eons don't know demand for their games? Yeah right. 

Bread_or_Decide

A lot of companies ship certain titles conservative, not just Nintendo. It's entirely possible for a large organization to underestimate demand. It happens quite often. The one that I can remember off the top of my head is Google last year wtih the Nexus 4. It's actually a one of the better examples to go against your claims that a big company like Nintendo is limited supply purposefully (which is ridiculous to begin with).

Furthermore, if Nintendo was in the habit of doing this deliberately, we would have seen demand/supply issues with the Wii U, which we did not - there were plenty of Wii U's readily available last year.

Nintendo is not purposely trying to troll you. They're not evil ... man.

#15 Posted by lhughey (4222 posts) -
Many WiiU owners are also play games on tablets/smartphones. These people are used to buying games in app stores and not having digital copies.
#16 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

They are purposefully under-printing copies of Luigi's Mansion so people download it digitally. Bastards. 

#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4587 posts) -

NathanDrakeSwag

That's a good thing then, coz  Deus Ex hits May 7th, Resident Evil Rev HD on May 21, Wario on June 23, Pikmin 3 on August 3 and I believe Wii U Party, Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U are still due out during the summer implying they'll be out by September 22nd. Then Wind Waker HD in Sept/Oct. Thankfully things are starting to pick up, though I've already put 300+ hours into my Wii U as is.

#18 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -
Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.
#19 Posted by KBFloYd (12927 posts) -

I believe the digital purchases are semi-account based on 3DS, so if you lose your 3DS you can get your games back, but not on the Wii U.

TilxWLOC

yea i think you just need the serial number of your 3ds to get your account back.

#20 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

bonesawisready5

That's a good thing then, coz  Deus Ex hits May 7th, Resident Evil Rev HD on May 21, Wario on June 23, Pikmin 3 on August 3 and I believe Wii U Party, Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U are still due out during the summer implying they'll be out by September 22nd. Then Wind Waker HD in Sept/Oct. Thankfully things are starting to pick up, though I've already put 300+ hours into my Wii U as is.

A 2 year old port, a 3ds port, a mini game collection, a fitness game and Pikmin :lol:

#21 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

TilxWLOC

I believe the digital purchases are semi-account based on 3DS, so if you lose your 3DS you can get your games back, but not on the Wii U. If you mean playing games on multiple 3DSs I don't think they do that, would be cool though.

No, I just mean that if I need to move stuff from one 3DS to another or Wii U to another, that it should be easy. It is so far with the 3DS, but if I ever lost mine I think I'd have a hard time trying to get Nintendo to let me get my games back.
#22 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4587 posts) -

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

NathanDrakeSwag

A 2 year old port, a 3ds port, a mini game collection, a fitness game and Pikmin :lol:

Cool for you dude but I'm going to enjoy a majority of them. Plan on purchasing Pikmin, RE: Rev (double dip), Wind Waker, Wonderful 101 when I can.

#23 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -
It's 2013 and Nintendo realise people buy shit digitally :P
#24 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -
paying for a digital copy for the same price for physical is just stupid... There should be auto $10 price difference
#25 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17223 posts) -
I feel the Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter digital sales were forced by intentional low amounts available at retail.
#26 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17223 posts) -
It's 2013 and Nintendo realise people buy shit digitally :Plocopatho

They are purposefully under-printing copies of Luigi's Mansion so people download it digitally. Bastards. 

Ultrabeatdown55
Yup. Same with Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter Tri3ds.
#27 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -
I feel the Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter digital sales were forced by intentional low amounts available at retail. Bread_or_Decide
I think it was probably more Nintendo shipping conservatively because neither Fire Emblem nor Monster Hunter are huge sellers. No clue what happened with Luigi's Mansion though.
#28 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I feel the Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter digital sales were forced by intentional low amounts available at retail. Bread_or_Decide

Shipping conservatively? WHo does that? They know they have to ship to meet demand. THey have number crunchers for this. I doubt a big company like them knows how many copies of a game to ship.

You ship conservatively to avoid a glut in the market, causing the prices for excessive shipments to crash, and retailers to lowball your future releases; Nintendo is probably trying to preserve the value of its future 3DS software. Like I said though, Luigi's Mansion... damn, no excuse there.
#29 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

It's 2013 and Nintendo realise people buy shit digitally :Plocopatho

This is about selling retail games digitally aswell, it's a new phenomenon in the traditional console business.

Nintendo has been selling games digitally since Wii VC / Wiiware in 2006.

And it's not just "hey look they are selling digitally, cool!!"; It's the ratio that 1/3rd of the units sold are digital. It's huge. In Japan ANimal Crossing has a big retail/digital ratio sales aswell. It's a new trend which retailers do not like one bit. So Nintendo offers incentives, one of them is that they don't discount the games on eShop, to keep retailers happy.

#30 Posted by TilxWLOC (1029 posts) -

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Haziqonfire

No, I just mean that if I need to move stuff from one 3DS to another or Wii U to another, that it should be easy. It is so far with the 3DS, but if I ever lost mine I think I'd have a hard time trying to get Nintendo to let me get my games back.

Oh yeah, it's do-able (on 3DS), but I hear it's a pain. So you have a good point.

#31 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]It's 2013 and Nintendo realise people buy shit digitally :PSuperFlakeman

This is about selling retail games digitally aswell, it's a new phenomenon in the traditional console business.

And it's not just "hey look they are selling digitally, cool!!"; It's the ratio that 1/3rd of the units sold are digital. It's huge. In Japan ANimal Crossing has a big retail/digital ratio sales aswell. It's a new trend which retailers do not like one bit. So Nintendo offers incentives, one of them is that they don't discount the games on eShop, to keep retailers happy.

That's not new, no. 360's been doing it since 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_Games_on_Demand And of course we know that stuff like Minecraft sold over 5 million as a download only game on 360. It's good to see Nintendo doing it too but they really need to sort out their account system. I'd be scared to buy anything on a WiiU.
#32 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]It's 2013 and Nintendo realise people buy shit digitally :Plocopatho

That's not new, no. 360's been doing it since 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_Games_on_Demand And of course we know that stuff like Minecraft sold over 5 million as a download only game on 360. It's good to see Nintendo doing it too but they really need to sort out their account system. I'd be scared to buy anything on a WiiU.

Well, but they never released games day one. Nintendo does. Same with Sony and the Vita.
#33 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.DaBrainz

No.

#34 Posted by zeroyaoi (1877 posts) -

Why do people complain about the wiiu lacking games? Granted it's not as robust as the other systems, but that didn't happen overnight.

They need to get all the hard to find games on vc. I feel it was underutilized on the wii system. Megaman 1-7 and x-x3 should be there. The power Ranger game should be there too.

#35 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]The only issue I have right now with purchasing digitally is that everything is tied to the system. Account based please :(.Heil68
And as far as the Wiiu goes you are pretty much forced to buy an additional hard drive if you plan on buying many games DD.

That's not really an issue for me, I have a 2TB External HDD already. I could get a second dedicated one with low capacity at a decent price, though I'd probably just buy a normal HDD and seperate casing in case I wanted to expand.

#36 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

The only issue I have right now with purchasing digitally is that everything is tied to the system. Account based please :(.Haziqonfire
Nintendo promised that sometime before the end of the year that atleast the Wii U will be switched to account based system. I hope the 3DS will also become account based; I also hope that they will switch to one Nintendo Network ID between the Wii U and the 3DS.

Edit* I have some downloads from the eShop; I have Pushmo, Crashmo, Fire Emblem Awakening, Kerploosh, Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword, Music On: Retro Keyboard, Music On: Electronic Keyboard, Mighty Flip Champs!, Megaman, Artstyle Pictobits, Metroid II, 3D Classics Kid Icarus, and Kirby's Dreamland. That is just on the 3DS.

Wii/Wii U I have Grill off w/ Ultra Hand, Majora's Mask, Fluidity, Megaman II, DKC2: Diddy Kong's Quest, Paper Mario, Kirby's Adventure, and Super Metroid.

#37 Posted by King_Dodongo (3247 posts) -
Obviously they are saving their WiiU games for E3.
#38 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -
Reggie promised at last E3 a "steady stream of content and games" and "3rd party support, beucase you want to play those game" He is full of shit and anything he says about the Wiiu as far as I'm concerned is just damage control.
#39 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -
The only issue I have right now with purchasing digitally is that everything is tied to the system. Account based please :(.Haziqonfire
And as far as the Wiiu goes you are pretty much forced to buy an additional hard drive if you plan on buying many games DD.
#40 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2126 posts) -

Hope that means we will have a good Gamecube catalog on the Wii U eShop.  I want to play Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion without forking over $40+ for used copies.

#41 Posted by bobbetybob (19124 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

It's kind of ironic that the least online savvy competitor was able to get day one digital releases right first, but there you have it.

Slashkice

Sony actually did it first with the Vita.

Anyways, glad they're continuing to push things on the digital side. It just makes sense for handhelds.

It's a good thing they did do it with the Vita since that was right around the time the main games stores here were about to go into administration and half the companies had stopped supplying them with games. I remember "buying" Rayman Origins and being given a receipt with a download code on it. Brilliant. Anyway it's actually a really good thing for handhelds since part if their appeal is obviously portability and being able to have all of your games on you at any time is pretty damn useful. Just need to focus on keeping those prices in line with retail.
#42 Posted by SolidTy (42106 posts) -

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]paying for a digital copy for the same price for physical is just stupid... There should be auto $10 price difference caseypayne69
Or more. Only a fool would pay $60 for a digital version.

It's a complete rip off, I agree. You get less, can't sell it, and it's the same price? Are people nuts?

I've said this about Digital copies on XBL, PSN, and Wii U. I won't even pay full prices for DC on PC.

#43 Posted by PSP107 (11685 posts) -
Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.DaBrainz
You mean on a handheld point of view?
#44 Posted by caseypayne69 (5386 posts) -
paying for a digital copy for the same price for physical is just stupid... There should be auto $10 price difference k2theswiss
Or more. Only a fool would pay $60 for a digital version.
#45 Posted by wazzap76 (290 posts) -

The reason Digital sales are booming? Because there's no physical copies of games to buy for the wii-u.

#46 Posted by SuddenlySudden (666 posts) -
Yeah let's keep making the same stupid games and milking nostalgia and calling that a successfull business cause we're too lazy to try something different
#47 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26115 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.StrongBlackVine

No.

For once, I agree with StrongBlackVine.
#48 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -
[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.nintendoboy16

No.

I still disagree, assuming that DaBrainz's comment is in context of handhelds and not consoles.
#49 Posted by bobbetybob (19124 posts) -
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

No.

charizard1605

I still disagree, assuming that DaBrainz's comment is in context of handhelds and not consoles.

Download only is a good idea in terms of practicality but maybe not so good for business. Imagine how many games get sold by kids nagging their parents whilst they're out shopping, I can't really see the same thing being true for download only games, or parents would probably be more apprehensive about it.
#50 Posted by King_Dodongo (3247 posts) -
[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Good news. Hopefully this is the last generation that uses physical media.nintendoboy16

No.