Reggie: Looking at VR. Nintendo will be there when its ready

#1 Edited by Speak_Low (842 posts) -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135413-Nintendo-VR-Isnt-There-Yet-Well-be-on-Board-When-it-is

"For us, it's all about fun gameplay," Fils-Aime said at E3 according to the Associated Press. "That's what we want. We want a fun, compelling experience. Right now, the technology isn't quite there yet, in our view." Nintendo's own Shigeru Miyamoto was spotted trying out the Rift demo unit at this past E3

Fils-Aime went on to add that "Certainly, [VR is] something we're looking at," stating "We look at a wide range of technologies. When it's there and enables a fun experience, we'll be there, too."

Miyamoto at E3 trying the Oculus Rift.

Miymamoto did not seem 100% convinced VR would work for Nintendo, according to an interview with TIME:

TIME: What are your thoughts on virtual reality today, and is Nintendo doing or thinking about anything in this space? Are we at the right point, technology-wise, to see this become more than a novelty peripheral?

Miyamoto: We’ve been doing our own experiments with virtual reality dating back to the Virtual Boy. And even to some degree, the 3DS was designed with a little bit of this in mind with its stereoscopic 3D. So we’re always looking at hardware and assessing what’s possible.

And of course we understand that the hardware and technology have begun to drop in price. It’s still not at a cost basis that makes it easy for everyone to purchase as a mass-market product. But certainly it’s dropped somewhat.

As game designers, we at Nintendo are interested in VR technology and what it can do, but at the same time what we’re trying to do with Wii U is to create games for everyone in the living room. We want the Wii U to be a game system that brings video gamers into the living room. As as I explained last night [Sunday, June 8], it’s intended to be fun not only for the person who’s playing, but also for the people who are watching.

When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U. And so I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play.

So from Nintendo’s perspective, there’s interest in the technology, but we think it might be better suited to some sort of attraction style of entertainment, say something at a video game arcade or things like that, rather than something that one person plays alone.

My thoughts - New VR is going to be huge in 5 years, and if they don't keep up with what the competition's doing, they're gonna be late to the party (again).

I call it New VR because this is completely redone technology - not that primitive 90s phase of crude, frustrating medieval gadgetry. And more VR content and research is going on now than anytime in the last twenty years combined. This is bigger than motion controls or 3DTV. The sense of "presence" in VR will be unlike anything media has given consumers up to this point.

This isn't Virtual Boy we're talking about, but Virtual Man.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25641 posts) -

I wonder how Nintendo would implement this in their games, especially with how rarely they ever use first person cameras.

Super Mario Galaxy with this would either be fucking awesome or make me terribly dizzy.

#3 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

For the love of gaming! Don't base your next machine's gimmick on VR.

#4 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -

Not really interested in VR from any company or PC gaming.

#5 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3596 posts) -

so when will ninty start looking at online?

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26087 posts) -

so when will ninty start looking at online?

Ha ha... :|

Anyway, remember the VB anyone? I rest my case.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (55343 posts) -

Meh. This is just another fad.

#8 Edited by jsmoke03 (12601 posts) -

3d in 3ds gives me a headache...

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9721 posts) -

Everybody is Quick to dickride VR as if its the 2nd Coming.... Mumbling about something stupid like "Immersion"

Well I got news for ya. VR is to gaming what 3D was to movies..... A giant fad..... And also very Expensive.

#10 Posted by bbkkristian (14891 posts) -

I doubt they will incorporate it into their hardware. Nintendo focuses on social interaction with their video games, and virtual reality focuses on a single person thanks to the headset. Until the tech advances beyond the headset I won't ever expect VR to appear on our Nintendo consoles.

#11 Posted by PonchoTaco (1936 posts) -

I personally think VR will be nothing more than a fad. Cool to play with for an hour, but not much more than that.

#12 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

so much this.

What we'd want: Super immersive Metroid Prime

What we'd get: Vii-R Sports.

#13 Posted by drummerdave9099 (627 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

so much this.

What we'd want: Super immersive Metroid Prime

What we'd get: Vii-R Sports.

I was just thinking about that too, the only game it would really be great for would be Metroid Prime.

I think motion controls are mostly coming to an end now that xbone kinect has failed and the wii is over with.

VR may too be a fad for a few years, in the end though gaming with a controller with buttons, d pads, and joysticks will always win out.

#14 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Nintendo will be there, way after the fact.

#15 Edited by Bigboi500 (29081 posts) -

Both Nintendo and Microsoft don't think VR is a big deal yet. I agree with them. Ten years from now? Who knows.

#16 Edited by super600 (30100 posts) -

VR won;t be viable for nintendo's next console because VR will still be expensive to implement on a console in 2016/2017 and it does not fit with nntendo's hardware vision.

#17 Posted by OhSnapitz (18017 posts) -

5 years? Try 10 or 15.

The Kinect/Wiimote/Move were all fads/slow burning peripherals. VR has been done in the past and didn't catch on (at least not with gaming). This thing will turn out to be an accessory for the niche market and nothing more.

The ONLY way I can see VR being a success:

1. Have celebrities, entertainers, and athletes market it to the gullible masses.
  2. Use the Military's knowledge of the tech to help promote it (they've been using VR simulators for decades).
  3. Price it for the average consumer (*scoffs* yea.. after about 5 years on the market).
  4. MAKE SURE THE SH!T WORKS!
#18 Posted by Wild_man_22 (569 posts) -

I'm all for cool new ways to experience games. But people couldn't be bothered to put on glasses to watch TV in 3D.And some didn't enjoy the Wii-mote, even when it was used properly.

I just don't see how VR would ever be that big of a thing for gaming. They would have to have something pretty damn compelling I think right out the gate. Or at least something pretty novel that keeps people talking about it, like with Wii-Sports.

#19 Edited by Speak_Low (842 posts) -

Let me address those who feel that VR will fail and won't amount to much.

I have seen the 'fad' complaints from many places. There is nothing wrong with maintaining the distance of skepticism, but with VR many have not tried the new wave of headsets (at least with 3DTV or motion controls people have tried enough to form an opinion). And I don't think early VR critics have given the subject enough thought - really reading up on what makes New VR different (and socially beneficial) than the other passing technological fancies that went straight to the dustbin.

If we can divide consumer technology between the fads and the successful examples that stayed with us (TVs, radios, cellphones, computers, tablets/laptops, game consoles), many could argue that VR actually shares more affinities with the latter group that stuck around for good. Virtual Reality is going to be a new media platform and is likely going to stay. There is a reason why this particular technology has been written about, filmed and eagerly fantasized for decades in science fiction. Why did early authors dream of future generations interacting with simulated, fantastic worlds and effortlessly connecting with others across the globe? Isn't that why gaming is popular? Isn't that why there's the internet? Part of the way there, aren't we? Do you not see why Virtual Reality tech is far more than a fad like motion controls and 3DTV? The accepted technologies that stayed with us did so because they provided universal needs that millions loved - communication, interaction, information and strong mental stimulation. They're cold, hard, uncommunicative machines when left off, but people continually go back to them (every day) because they're dependable delivery mechanisms, feeding the mind with vibrant and enriching experiences. These plastic devices flash & beep basic images, words and sounds and yet they mean everything to us. One cannot pry these cold machines away from our hands.

The reason why motion controls and 3DTV didn't last was because they didn't go far enough. They (rather mildly) enhanced our sensations of sight and touch/motion, but didn't fulfill. The mind was amused but not engaged enough. There was always something missing that could probably make it better, but people didn't wait around to find out what. And if the consumers demand an overflowing wealth of content and innovative variety to sustain this new emerging technology, but are given meager offerings, they are out-the-door. VR will go further than they did (and actually incorporates 3D and motion anyways). VR is the full expression of what the earlier progenitors were after. This is why you prefer the new smartphone, internet, console and computers to the old rotary, modem, PONG machine and Apple II. Same functions, but yielding far better experiences.

There's videos out there showing the potential of VR as a new social platform. It will not be isolating any more than people posting on computers to discuss things on a message board, or at home playing online multiplayer with 30+ other gamers across the country. Technically you are isolated in a room, but you are using technology to connect.

I disagree with Miyamoto on the isolation or "depriving" aspect, but I am not blaming him for not keeping up with every single thing since he's busy with game development. But he and others at Nintendo should take note of some of these things already in development. There is a reason why Mark Zuckerberg, creator of the world's largest social platform, quickly bought Oculus for $2 billion when they showed him some of these demos and something lit up - and he saw the future.

#20 Posted by osan0 (12583 posts) -

if their next console came with an enhanced wiimote and nunchuck and a VR headset then that would be a very interesting proposition. the two together could be quite awesome.

cost would be an issue though.

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9721 posts) -

@Speak_Low

Too Long, Didn't Read all of it....

Anyway I don't think its gona fail... Infact I think it will be a massive success, but it won't actually change anything.... Its just an alternate display. Its like DLC and 60fps and even Next-gen itself..... It will promise a revolution and it will big a success but its just a brand new toy with the same old crutch. It succeeding and even taking over won't change that anymore than 8th Gen Consoles have changed Tomb Raider. Its just a fad, a succesful fad, a popular fad.

#22 Edited by Speak_Low (842 posts) -

Cost and hardware requirements will be a problem. A very powerful GPU will be needed because VR requires a high frame rate to avoid motion sickness. Oculus has mentioned hardware specs as a barrier that just can't be gotten around now, and that is why we probably shouldn't judge VR's future too much in the first year. It's going to be mostly bought by enthusiasts first.

But some day the VR devices will be light yet still powerful to handle any Unreal Engine 5 game thrown at it. Probably will look like this. This guy is playing Animal Crossing VR: