Reason why Sony puts all its faith in Destiny

  • 99 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

Let me start with the disclaimer that Microsoft with X1 hasn't created anything spectacular at this point with regards to online infrastructure, i.e. there hasn't been any 1st party title which would rock online. Only Titanfall, except it's not exclusive. However, all their major titles (be it timed-exclusive like Dead Rising 3 or Plants vs. Zombies or exclusive like Forza 5, Killer Instinct or Ryse) have had significant online component. And of course upcoming Forza Horizon 2, and Sunset Overdrive will heavily rely on multiplayer components. Not to mention Halo: Master Chief Collection. So let's say by this fall this will have become respectable.

Now, with that in mind, Sony is arguably in even worse situation with this respect, because almost all their major exclusives or games console exclusive to it (apart from Killzone: Shadow Fall, which from what I've heard died almost completely) have been largely devoid of any multiplayer aspect.

So...is this heavy reliance on Destiny, as if it was some kind of a saviour, a sign that Sony can't create any multiplayer-centric experience with massive community? That it has to rely on a 3rd party multiplatform game to do that?

Of course, you can rightfully argue that by this fall, Sony too will have had some meaningful online communities with Little Big Planet 3 and DriveClub (for better or worse)...but then again there's Halo 5 on the horizon for the next year, so...

Anyway, PC already trumps both.

Why are you still reading this?

#2 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

#4 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

Oh, I'm sorry...did I break your concentration?

#5 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

Like Microsoft put all faith in Titanfall? They are just promoting the game for the PS4 as its the best place to play Destiny. XBOX has COD marketing so it's really half and half

#6 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -
@TheTruthIsREAL said:

Like Microsoft put all faith in Titanfall? They are just promoting the game for the PS4 as its the best place to play Destiny. XBOX has COD marketing so it's really half and half

I've covered that in the disclaimer already.

I've covered wars, you know...

However I'd like to add that the situation here is tad different as we're talking console-exclusivity of the WHOLE GAME vs timed console-exclusivity of a DLC.

#7 Edited by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

Oh, I'm sorry...did I break your concentration?

I take that as a big ole "no, I don't have a point".

#9 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21765 posts) -

The truth is Sony wants their own Halo and they saw it in Bungie's Destiny and decided to support it.

#10 Posted by gfxpipeline (191 posts) -

@TheGuardian03 said:

The truth is Sony wants their own Halo and they saw it in Bungie's Destiny and decided to support it.

Yes, Sony desperately wants the 'system seller' franchise that has made Microsoft 0/3 in the console market over the past fourteen years...

#11 Edited by kuu2 (7357 posts) -

Sony has never had strength in multi player games compared to MSoft due mainly to LIVE being so strong and heavily integrated from the beginning. We are seeing MSoft pull even further ahead with off loading AI to Azure infrastructure as well. I can't ever see Sony being ahead in online experience.

#12 Posted by cainetao11 (17692 posts) -

Just reminds me of the GTA4 dlc that 360 pulled last gen. In the end the entire game still went to PS3. Most of my friends that play online, are on Live so I guess that's where I'm going.

#13 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: how about the plants vs zombies garden warfare game? Surely that's a similar case and I didn't read it all but skimmed through because on mobile, it looks like an intimidating wall of text lol.

EDIT: you mentioned that too. Nvm

#14 Posted by tormentos (18296 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

Nope since the most played game online is COD and is not xbox exclusive and is superior on PS4..

#15 Edited by nervmeister (15266 posts) -

Yeah. Sony always struck me as putting more effort into the single player experience. However, they have occasionally surprised people with strong multiplayer in IPs like Uncharted.

#16 Edited by gfxpipeline (191 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

Sony has never had strength in multi player games compared to MSoft due mainly to LIVE being so strong and heavily integrated from the beginning. We are seeing MSoft pull even further ahead with off loading AI to Azure infrastructure as well. I can't ever see Sony being ahead in online experience.

LOL

SOCOM on the PS2 had more players playing it online than Microsoft had across all Xbox online games.

Sony had standard dedicated servers for all major online games with free online play for all with the PS3. While Microsoft forced Xbox owners to pay for laggy P2P based online gaming with the POS Xbox 360.

"pull even further ahead with off loading AI to Azure infrastructure as well"

And 'teh Cloud/magic SDK update' is gonna make the wimpy Xbox One put out PS4 level graphics too!

#17 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@gfxpipeline said:

SOCOM on the PS2 had more players playing it online than Microsoft had across all Xbox online games.

Sony had standard dedicated servers for all major online games with free online play for all with the PS3. While Microsoft forced Xbox owners to pay for laggy P2P based online gaming with the POS Xbox 360.

This was physically painful to read. Do you have a link to support any of this stupidity?

#18 Edited by RedentSC (690 posts) -

@gfxpipeline: Sorry dude.. i'm one of the biggest cows on here and i can tell you now, most games were P2P on PS3

Only a few had dedicated servers. Like battlefield... all cod's (after MW2) were P2P on ALL platforms (including PC)

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (88651 posts) -

Sony is likely putting so much into Destiny because they feel like it's going to be the next big thing, and they want a large piece of the pie (getting exclusive content helps with that). But knowing Sony's online history on the PS3, they better hope Destiny isn't just a passing fad for most, because their userbase will move on really fucking quick (a few months ago Call of Duty Black Ops on the Wii U had more people online than Killzone: Shadow Fall... and SF was praised for it's multiplayer).

I'm waiting for the PC version of Destiny. If I can't then I'll get the PS3 version. No way am I upgrading to a new console for one game (unless there is some more reasons for me to spend $400 on a Xbone).

#20 Posted by Vatusus (4675 posts) -

DR3 and Sunset Overdrive have strong MP component? News to me...

#21 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 has co-op (infamous ss does not) and in Sunset Overdrive there is 8 player mode.

#22 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

What? :-/

#23 Posted by lglz1337 (3853 posts) -

conspiracy theories gotta love thoss

#24 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2902 posts) -

Destiny is multiplat, so not sure how that is a plus for Sony. People generally still think Xbox live offers the best online on consoles, so people are likely to still think Destiny online will better on Xbox One even if that isn't the case.

#25 Posted by Gue1 (10180 posts) -

@gfxpipeline said:

I assume this stream of words is some sort of EPIC OWNAGE of Sony in your retarded fantasy world.

you said the r-word!

#26 Edited by Alcapello (953 posts) -

Please don't speak for Sony, anymore.

#27 Posted by bforrester420 (1654 posts) -

I don't play online multiplayer...

#28 Posted by gfxpipeline (191 posts) -

@RedentSC said:

@gfxpipeline: Sorry dude.. i'm one of the biggest cows on here and i can tell you now, most games were P2P on PS3

Only a few had dedicated servers. Like battlefield... all cod's (after MW2) were P2P on ALL platforms (including PC)

How the hell are people this clueless?

Major Sony PS3 online games:

Resistance - 20 vs 20 online with dedicated servers.

Killzone 2 - 16 vs 16 online with dedicated servers.

Major Microsoft Xbox 360 online games:

Gears of War - 4 vs 4 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Halo 2 - 8 vs 8 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Absolutely hilarious that Microsoft was forcing Xbox owners to pay 50 dollar a year for the privilege of running online games off their own home internet connections.

#29 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8113 posts) -

What the hell is this crap?

#30 Posted by Heil68 (45080 posts) -

I've played quite a few MP games on PS3 and PS4.

#31 Edited by Shewgenja (9591 posts) -

I thought it was painfully obvious why Sony is banking big on Destiny. They have the developer that literally breathed life into XBox as a brand and platform in their pocket.. Because they can.

OP missed the ball completely. While die-hard XBox fanboys are losing their shit over a Halo re-package, Sony is getting the new shit from Bungie. It's really that simple. You want Bungies old shit, get an Xbox. You want to play Bungies new shit with better performance and timed exclusive content? You get a PS4.

#32 Edited by Draign (802 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

I thought it was painfully obvious why Sony is banking big on Destiny. They have the developer that literally breathed life into XBox as a brand and platform in their pocket.. Because they can.

OP missed the ball completely. While die-hard XBox fanboys are losing their shit over a Halo re-package, Sony is getting the new shit from Bungie. It's really that simple. You want Bungies old shit, get an Xbox. You want to play Bungies new shit with better performance and timed exclusive content? You get a PS4.

You want both, get Xbox One...Or buy both systems if that tickles your fancy.

#33 Posted by mwamba1 (91 posts) -

@Shewgenja:

Destiny is multi-plat and cross-gen. That, imo, makes it slightly unreasonable to claim Sony is putting all their faith in Destiny. I think their aiming for the market that hasn't "upgraded" to the newer consoles by claiming its the best place to play it considering its a possible system seller. I don't think Sony has Bungie "in their pocket" either...MS had bungie in their pocket last gen making games solely for MS platform, surely? I also think this whole timed exclusive thing is a waste of money coz by the time hype has down a bit everyone will be getting the same experience anyway.

#34 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

Nope since the most played game online is COD and is not xbox exclusive and is superior on PS4..

Meh. I'll take my CoD DLC first and likely see a screen resolution update for the new one (not that I give a rats ass) At least I thinbk the new CoD looks cool. I am just so uninterested in Destiny no matter how many vids I see or what is written about it.

#35 Posted by Draign (802 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@tormentos said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Is there a point to all that incoherent rambling?

Nope since the most played game online is COD and is not xbox exclusive and is superior on PS4..

Meh. I'll take my CoD DLC first and likely see a screen resolution update for the new one (not that I give a rats ass) At least I thinbk the new CoD looks cool. I am just so uninterested in Destiny no matter how many vids I see or what is written about it.

Destiny looks good, but it also seems like a grind fest. I still havent reached the second mission on Watchdogs lol

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

Because faith and destiny are the same

#37 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14401 posts) -

Salt I think you should write a thesis on Sony. You seem to be an expert on the subject.

#38 Edited by 2Chalupas (5151 posts) -

@gfxpipeline said:

@RedentSC said:

@gfxpipeline: Sorry dude.. i'm one of the biggest cows on here and i can tell you now, most games were P2P on PS3

Only a few had dedicated servers. Like battlefield... all cod's (after MW2) were P2P on ALL platforms (including PC)

How the hell are people this clueless?

Major Sony PS3 online games:

Resistance - 20 vs 20 online with dedicated servers.

Killzone 2 - 16 vs 16 online with dedicated servers.

Major Microsoft Xbox 360 online games:

Gears of War - 4 vs 4 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Halo 2 - 8 vs 8 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Absolutely hilarious that Microsoft was forcing Xbox owners to pay 50 dollar a year for the privilege of running online games off their own home internet connections.

PS3 MAG had like 128 vs 128 matches.

That game was severely underrated, it's shooter mechanics were as good as Call of Duty and those huge scale maps were insane. Although when you compare it to Battlefield, the "vehicles" were incredibly wonky - and some of the vehicles were really just fixed "spawn points" - if it offered much improved vehicles that game would have been insane. It was by no means a brilliant or necessary game if you just look at the game play (i.e. the gameplay was just another dime-a-dozen CoD style shooter), but it was still kind of crazy to just drop in and play matches with that level of scale.

#39 Posted by Suppaman100 (3935 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Salt I think you should write a thesis on Sony. You seem to be an expert on the subject.

This.

Just another Sony stealth bashing sh*t thread by OP.

#40 Posted by SecretPolice (22205 posts) -

I was thinking it's because of the cows... Dence...ity.

#41 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14401 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Salt I think you should write a thesis on Sony. You seem to be an expert on the subject.

This.

Just another Sony stealth bashing sh*t thread by OP.

I just wish he could be more entertaining with it, it's always the predictable concern trolling with Salt, at least change it up.

#42 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

I was thinking it's because of the cows... Dence...ity.

Ripley: Micro changes in air density, my ass.

#43 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

Well I played mostly online with my 360 and my PS3 only got turned on to play a handful of first party titles. From what I have seen so far I imagine it will be much the same this generation. Il pick up a PS4 when they release a new 1st party IP.

#44 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

You forgot about Uncharted. Uncharted 3 had a full multiplayer suite that gave a lot of "multiplayer focused" titles a run for their money. We're talking competitive, co-op adventure, co-op survival/horde, full progression/leveling system, challenges and treasure unlocks, tournament ranking system, map packs, and frequent updates (which it just received about a month nearly 3 years after release).

I know most people focus on Uncharted for the single player, and rightfully so, but the multplayer options are no joke. And with the Naughty Dog "A" Team back on the franchise, I can only expect an even better offering.

#45 Posted by darkangel115 (1752 posts) -

@gfxpipeline said:

@RedentSC said:

@gfxpipeline: Sorry dude.. i'm one of the biggest cows on here and i can tell you now, most games were P2P on PS3

Only a few had dedicated servers. Like battlefield... all cod's (after MW2) were P2P on ALL platforms (including PC)

How the hell are people this clueless?

Major Sony PS3 online games:

Resistance - 20 vs 20 online with dedicated servers.

Killzone 2 - 16 vs 16 online with dedicated servers.

Major Microsoft Xbox 360 online games:

Gears of War - 4 vs 4 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Halo 2 - 8 vs 8 online with laggy P2P based networking.

Absolutely hilarious that Microsoft was forcing Xbox owners to pay 50 dollar a year for the privilege of running online games off their own home internet connections.

KZ never had dedicated servers. well at least not 3 and SF. maybe 2 did, can't really remember. But based on the age of those games, doesn't it kinda sound like Sony has abandoned Servers? When was the last time a Sony exclusive had dedicated servers? UC3? nope, KZ;SF? Nope, TLOU? Nope? Also gears of war 3 and Judgement had servers. Halo has never had servers, but that changes this year. So If anything you've proven MS has moved forward adding in servers for all games, While Sony has moved backwards by abandoning servers in games, yet still forcing a fee now.

Right now

XO games on servers (not including 3rd party games using their own servers)

Forza 5, Titanfall,

Coming in 2014

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Halo :MCC

So by the end of this year, MS will have 5 games running on their servers. Now look at Sony

PS4 games running on servers (not including 3rd party games using their own servers)

None

Coming in 2014

None

#46 Posted by Pray_to_me (2862 posts) -

PS4 is spanking the Xbone everywhere including the US. CoD sales are higher for PS4 than they are for Xbone as well as battlefield. Destiny will look and play and sell better on PS4 than Xbone. Lemmings will have to learn to accept LAST PLACE for the rest of the gen. ;)

#47 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

So basically Sony doesn't have any games for the rest of the year, so they're riding the destiny bandwagon.

PS3 has more games coming out this year than PS4.

#48 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@nervmeister said:

Yeah. Sony always struck me as putting more effort into the single player experience. However, they have occasionally surprised people with strong multiplayer in IPs like Uncharted.

And I'm glad for it! No interest in playing online.

#49 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7398 posts) -

Sony having nothing to offer online compared to Microsoft is nothing new. Promoting a muliplat like it is their own is something new. Desperation continuation.

#50 Posted by darkangel115 (1752 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

PS4 is spanking the Xbone everywhere including the US. CoD sales are higher for PS4 than they are for Xbone as well as battlefield. Destiny will look and play and sell better on PS4 than Xbone. Lemmings will have to learn to accept LAST PLACE for the rest of the gen. ;)

Well in all fairness, The PS4 has more units sold overall then the X1 so you'd assume that game sales would be a little higher. Also the best selling game on X1 is a FPS like CoD and BF (titanfall) and isn't available on the PS4. Its kinda impressive that a new IP FPS has outsold CoD on the X1 and has very likely chipped into CoD and BFs sales as well.