RC Rampage sales analysis: "Vita market very healthy"

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

Retro City Rampage Sales Analysis from 2012 - 2014

After revealing that Retro City Rampage had sold over 400,000 paid units (and an additional 270,000 PS+ units) a little while back, I've received many requests for more detailed information... so here it is!

PC/STEAM

Steam has become a discount-driven ecosystem. However, despite a devaluation of game prices, revenue is still high. The ecosystem is still at risk if developers continue to do deeper and deeper discounts, but at the moment it's still healthy. A stark contrast shown in the chart above: the revenue is lower than PlayStation but the actual units significantly higher, clearly demonstrating just how much of a discount-driven market it is.

Steam composes the bulk of PC sales followed by direct sales (Humble Widget), then GOG and Humble Store which are comparable. Humble Store is already comparable to GOG despite its modest storefront.

GOG sales relative to Steam seem to vary widely for developers. Some games move a small fraction of their units on GOG while others move a very worthwhile percentage. Store promotion surprisingly doesn't seem to be the strongest factor here, but rather that the GOG customer base is more akin to certain types of games and genres. In RCR's case, GOG accounts for 6.7% of its PC sales, with Steam being 80.5%.

PLAYSTATION

PS VITA has been a very healthy market which is completely counter to the misappropriated console's stigma as a failure. With less AAA competition, it's easier to get store placement and store placement is what sells games. Over the past two years, sales on PS VITA have become proportionately higher than PS3. PS4 proves healthy as well. PlayStation developers releasing games in 2015 should prioritize PS4 followed by PS VITA.

NINTENDO

Nintendo 3DS has the healthiest tail of all platforms. Released nearly 10 months ago, it has never been discounted and still boasts a strong weekly tail. It was a great fit for the platform and market and received great promotion from Nintendo at launch. RCR released on 3DS 15 months later, but had it been released simultaneously with the others it's possible that it could've become the best selling out of all eight platforms (or at least toe to toe). Again, this would vary widely on the type of game, but RCR was a perfect match for 3DS.

XBOX

Xbox 360 was a prime example of how important store placement and promotion is. It's one of the weakest platforms sales-wise. Comparing it to its direct competitor (PS3), it's clear that the placement and repeated promotions on PS3 and lack thereof on Xbox 360 made all the difference. The potential for success existed on Xbox 360, but it's no joke that Mountain Dew is a direct competitor on there. Getting featured on Xbox is far more difficult than on other platforms (unless you're willing to pay for advertising in hard cash).

Luckily I didn't have all my eggs in one basket. This is a clear example of why developers should be cautious of uncompensated platform exclusivity and release parity bottlenecks. Additionally, Xbox 360 still requires a publisher(ID@Xbox self-publishing is Xbox One-only), making the net revenue that much lower.

Although the game was released on PlayStation in North America slightly before Xbox, it released on PlayStation in Europe and on 3DS afterwards. Both were more profitable. Additionally, discounted sales on PlayStation and Steam after the Xbox launch alone eclipsed the LTD sales on Xbox 360, meaning that its delay was not a major factor. Additionally, due to an error, it actually launched on Xbox for $5 less than the other platforms, but that didn't give it a leg up either. Many factors at play, but and the end of the day the lack of store promotions on Xbox were the root of its lower sales.

ADDITIONAL ANALYSIS

Steam competition is tighter now than when RCR originally launched in 2012 and the average discounts developers place on games during holiday sales are trending much deeper than in the past. It's a double edged sword -- in the past, many developers raised issue that it was difficult to get a game onto Steam, but now that it's much easier, there aren't enough store placement opportunities for every game. Without solid store promotion at launch, you will sell a fraction of the potential units that you could otherwise which significantly jeopardizes recouping development costs.

The Mac version just launched last month. It was profitable and I'm glad that the fans are enjoying it, but accounts for only 0.1% of the game's units. That number would change if it received placement on the Mac App Store, but as it stands the vast majority of units were sold on Steam.

There were other ports in the works which I never finished and never plan to release. For example, PSP and Nintendo DS ports were under development way back in 2009, but due to the poor health of those markets (primarily due to piracy), I never finished or released them. Videos:here, here, here

The experiment releasing the limited edition PS4 blu-ray disc was a huge success. It was sold out the day after sales opened despite receiving no major coverage (2,000 units @ $25/pc). Word spread primarily through the PlayStation Blog, social media and forums such as reddit. In the future, it will be interesting to see how large the market is for a console retail indie release with proper press coverage. For more information on the retail release, click here.

There you have it, folks. Steam ain't all that it's cracked up to be, and Vita rocks.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

May have to buy a Vita.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We've always known Vita has a healthy attach rate, but attach rate alone will only take you so far when there is a hard cap on sales imposed by a minuscule install base (less than even the Wii U, which is another platform with a similarly high install base).

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605 said:

We've always known Vita has a healthy attach rate, but attach rate alone will only take you so far when there is a hard cap on sales imposed by a minuscule install base (less than even the Wii U, which is another platform with a similarly high install base).

source that the base is smaller than Wii U?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

source that the base is smaller than Wii U?

Give me the Vita's worldwide install base.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Meanwhile 3DS can't even hit an attach rate of 4

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

See, PC gamers never buy games, only pirate them. Oh wait...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic  Online

@mikhail said:

Revenues were higher on Playstation platforms

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikhail

@SolidGame_basic said:

@mikhail said:

That just means console gamers aren't financially wise. Paying more for the same games we get better versions of on PC. Far more units sold on PC for just a little less revenue. Do the math.

I'll let you go now so you can run off to preorder another remastered HD anniversary ultra collection.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online

@mikhail said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@mikhail said:

That just means console gamers aren't financially wise. Paying more for the same games we get better versions of on PC. Far more units sold on PC for just a little less revenue. Do the math.

I'll let you go now so you can run off to preorder another remastered HD anniversary ultra collection.

I think you and Charizard need to go back to debate school. thanks!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Would argue this analysis only holds weight when it comes to indie games and downloadable stuff specifically.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

@SolidGame_basic said:

@mikhail said:

3 playstation platforms vs PC, come on son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic: I think you need to stop avoiding me. What is the Vita's install base? In fact, when was the last time Sony shared any sales numbers for the thing?

As for this:

@Blabadon said:

Meanwhile 3DS can't even hit an attach rate of 4

Name a Vita game, any Vita game, that hit a million. I'll name multiple on 3DS, first party and third party.

The only reason Vita is profitable for developers is because it has a relatively more engaged audience, and the cost of porting a small indie game to it is next to nothing thanks to the tools that Sony provides for cross PS3-PSV or PS4-PSV support. It's minimal investment with a return that is at the very least guaranteed to match the investment. That's it.

You're kidding yourself if you actually believe that the Vita software ecosystem is healthy (and the notion that it's actually even close to 3DS's is laughable).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

@charizard1605 said:

Name a Vita game, any Vita game, that hit a million. I'll name multiple on 3DS, first party and third party.

The only reason Vita is profitable for developers is because it has a relatively more engaged audience, and the cost of porting a small indie game to it is next to nothing thanks to the tools that Sony provides for cross PS3-PSV or PS4-PSV support. It's minimal investment with a return that is at the very least guaranteed to match the investment. That's it.

You're kidding yourself if you actually believe that the Vita software ecosystem is healthy (and the notion that it's actually even close to 3DS's is laughable).

From an indie game standpoint? absolutely it is. The fact that the vita dwarfs the 3DS in those type of games may be a by product of ease of development, that however does not invalidate that for those type of games they are thriving on that device, where as with the 3DS that shit is rarely worth it unless you're a Shovel Knight. And lots of fucking games aren't Shovel Knight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

From an indie game standpoint? absolutely it is. The fact that the vita dwarfs the 3DS in those type of games may be a by product of ease of development, that however does not invalidate that for those type of games they are thriving on that device, where as with the 3DS that shit is rarely worth it unless you're a Shovel Knight. And lots of fucking games aren't Shovel Knight.

I put no qualifiers. I said software ecosystem overall, no exceptions. That more indie games come to Vita than 3DS is well known and accepted, and is in fact something I acknowledged in my post. I also explained why it is- Sony makes it worth the developers' while.

But on the whole? The Vita ecosystem is pretty anemic. It cannot muster any original investment or support for itself at all. The only games that Vita gets at this point are ports and re-issues, a lot of the times late and staggered. No developer targets the Vita as a primary platform. At most, it is an afterthought to them, because, as said above, minimal investment with at least guaranteed returns. That isn't a healthy ecosystem. There is more to an ecosystem's health than just having more indie games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Also, lol, right from the OP:

Nintendo 3DS has the healthiest tail of all platforms. Released nearly 10 months ago, it has never been discounted and still boasts a strong weekly tail. It was a great fit for the platform and market and received great promotion from Nintendo at launch. RCR released on 3DS 15 months later, but had it been released simultaneously with the others it's possible that it could've become the best selling out of all eight platforms (or at least toe to toe). Again, this would vary widely on the type of game, but RCR was a perfect match for 3DS.

I mean, damn, in your OPit says the 3DS version sold more than the Vita version, time aligned. Damn

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605: so why are you making unfounded claims lol? you kinda just pwned yourself

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mikhail

@charizard1605: He avoided me too, it's just what he does when losing an argument.

I said that the data shows that there were far more purchases on PC than PlayStation, yet PlayStation only had very slightly more revenue. That means PlayStation gamers pay far more per unit than PC gamers. He said that we needed to "go back to debate school" and that was it.

Rekt.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic  Online

@jg4xchamp: and Shovel Knight is coming to Vita, baby

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blabadon

@charizard1605: Mad because facts lol

It can't hit 4. Facts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605: so why are you making unfounded claims lol? you kinda just pwned yourself

Unfounded claims? The only reason my claims are unfounded is because Sony is giving me no hard data. What are they hiding?

I could use the last known numbers for PS Vita sales worldwide- what were they, 4 million? But that would be unfair, I'm actually doing the Vita a favor here by not using numbers from so long ago.

Why are you avoiding everything else I said? Your entire thread is misappropriated and grossly misrepresented. You compare three PlayStation platforms to Steam, as if that proves anything, except that sales on three systems are in fact going to be higher than sales on one. Whoop de doo. You also directly avoid the 3DS, which, in your OP, the developer admits to being the best system for sales, period (much better than your beloved Vita), and avoid my post where I highlight that.

Me pwning myself? This is literally just another instance of you starting a poorly conceived thread, being called out on your BS less than half a page in, and then either avoiding those who call you out on it, or just absconding the thread altogether.

@mikhail said:

@charizard1605: He avoided me too, it's just what he does when losing an argument.

I said that the data shows that there were far more purchases on PC than PlayStation, yet PlayStation only had very slightly more revenue. That means PlayStation gamers pay far more per unit than PC gamers. He said that we needed to "go back to debate school" and that was it.

Rekt.

Yeah, this is what happens when you don't have much of a point to make, when literally everything you say is a twisted reading designed to further your agenda. It's sad, because not too long ago, SolidGame actually made good threads even if I disagreed with a lot of what he had to say in them.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605: lol "We've always known Vita has a healthy attach rate, but attach rate alone will only take you so far when there is a hard cap on sales imposed by a minuscule install base (less than even the Wii U, which is another platform with a similarly high install base)."

I'm waiting dude

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

This tends to happen when people speak without having the official numbers...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605: lol "We've always known Vita has a healthy attach rate, but attach rate alone will only take you so far when there is a hard cap on sales imposed by a minuscule install base (less than even the Wii U, which is another platform with a similarly high install base)."

I'm waiting dude

Like I said, give me the official numbers for Vita worldwide. Where are they? Why are Sony not announcing any?

Like I said, I could use the last official numbers, but those are 4 million, and would make the Vita look terrible, and you don't want that, do you?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

you're basing your conclusions on the sales of a single indie game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

So basically this entire thread comes down to:

• One game used as the basis and extrapolation of trends over entire libraries and platforms
  • Misrepresentation, misinterpretations, and misappropriation of facts, all to further a specific interpretation that suits TC's agenda
  • Ignoring hard facts presented in opposition (such as 3 PlayStation systems versus one PC)
  • Ignoring the fact that even in his own OP, the Vita (the platform he is singing for) isn't even the strongest sales platform- the developer admits that the 3DS is
  • Getting stuck on one point ('where are the numbers dude') when all common knowledge states that the Vita's sales are in fact less than the Wii U's.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

• One game used as the basis and extrapolation of trends over entire libraries and platforms
  • Misrepresentation, misinterpretations, and misappropriation of facts, all to further a specific interpretation that suits TC's agenda
  • Ignoring hard facts presented in opposition (such as 3 PlayStation systems versus one PC)
  • Ignoring the fact that even in his own OP, the Vita (the platform he is singing for) isn't even the strongest sales platform- the developer admits that the 3DS is
  • Getting stuck on one point ('where are the numbers dude') when all common knowledge states that the Vita's sales are in fact less than the Wii U's.

so lock and mod-spiracy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

so lock and mod-spiracy?

Nah, there is discussion to be had here, and there is some genuinely good data in the OP.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

The Vita market is not healthy at all. It its been selling piss poor since its release. Vitabros. are always posting on here every time the Vita gets a note worthy game, or even pointless updates. You guys try too hard to make the Vita worth it. I was thinking of picking up one a while ago, but I seriously looked at it and I came to my senses.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

so lock and mod-spiracy?

Nah, there is discussion to be had here, and there is some genuinely good date in the OP.

You're no fun :P Imagine all the whining

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm waiting dude

Like I said, give me the official numbers for Vita worldwide. Where are they? Why are Sony not announcing any?

Like I said, I could use the last official numbers, but those are 4 million, and would make the Vita look terrible, and you don't want that, do you?

All I asked was for you to prove that the Vita install base is smaller than Wii U's. That's all, dude. My original quote "source that the base is smaller than Wii U?"

As for you and Mikhail's accusation that I "avoid" comments. There's no point in commenting when I already made my point and you clearly didn't address it

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Is Minecraft PsVita number one in LTD sales yet like I said it would be?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

Just use the only figures they've given

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm waiting dude

All I asked was for you to prove that the Vita install base is smaller than Wii U's. That's all, dude. My original quote "source that the base is smaller than Wii U?"

As for you and Mikhail's accusation that I "avoid" comments. There's no point in commenting when I already made my point and you clearly didn't address it

The proof is that by June 2013, the Vita had sold 4 million units worldwide, and tracking its regional sales per quarter since then, it has not even sold close to 3.2 million units worldwide (which is the minimum amount it would have to meet to match Wii U).

The proof is that Sony still doesn't give us numbers for it- hilariously enough, they have started disaggregating PS4 and PS3 sales in their reports (because of course, both of them sell well enough now), but they still join PSP and PS Vita sales as 'Handheld Units.'

The proof is that even if I were to assume that in their handheld units, not a single PSP unit was sold, and it was all Vita, then adding from the last known numbers upwards, it still doesn't add up to the Wii U's numbers. And that's with me assuming the PSP gets no sales, which it does.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

So this is going well

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Charizard I can't find a single analyst that agrees with your take. The few people I could find with estimates still list the Vita solidly ahead. So stop trying to make others prove you wrong. When you're fighting the industry's stated opinion, you need to prove yourself right and that ain't happening. The only place the WiiU leads Vita is in your heart. :P

As for the article, yup, the Vita's attach rate isn't just healthy, it destroys any other recent console. It has obviously sold less than planned, but the people picking them up sure like to play games on it...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blabadon

@TrappedInABox91: Right, because you garner so much respect claiming wilful ignorance of a form of gaming on a gaming forum. Totally useful posts.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@santoron: thank you

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

too bad TC didn't follow through on his threat to stop posting

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@Blabadon: If "ignorance" saves me money from a system that has nothing for me, so be it....You can go on about the Vita all you want at the end of the day, but it doesn't change the fact it sells like shit. ( That says more about the product than the public)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blabadon

@TrappedInABox91 said:

@Blabadon: If "ignorance" saves me money from a system that has nothing for me, so be it....You can go on about the Vita all you want at the end of the day, but it doesn't change the fact it sells like shit. ( That says more about the product than the public)

Saving you money is one thing, constantly shitposting like someone here finds it appealing besides you is another.

Willful ignorance. I'm not telling you to go buy a Virtual Boy. I'm not gonna buy one either. I don't shitpost that I'm not gonna buy one because I'd rather not act like a moron about gaming on a gaming forum

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

@santoron said:

@Charizard I can't find a single analyst that agrees with your take. The few people I could find with estimates still list the Vita solidly ahead. So stop trying to make others prove you wrong. When you're fighting the industry's stated opinion, you need to prove yourself right and that ain't happening. The only place the WiiU leads Vita is in your heart. :P

As for the article, yup, the Vita's attach rate isn't just healthy, it destroys any other recent console. It has obviously sold less than planned, but the people picking them up sure like to play games on it...

I love my Vita. I have like 15 games on it so far, and plan to buy more. For a system that has dismal sales, it sure kicks a ton of ass.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lostrib

@MarkAndExecute said:

@santoron said:

I love my Vita. I have like 15 games on it so far, and plan to buy more. For a system that has dismal sales, it sure kicks a ton of ass.

too bad sony's given up on it

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MarkAndExecute

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

2015 releases

Hyperdimension Neptunia FTW! Lots of Vita love for everybody ^_^

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

2015 releases

Right, i said Sony

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MarkAndExecute

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

2015 releases

Right, i said Sony

What, did you even look at the link? There's a great breadth of content being released for all platforms, including the Vita.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

2015 releases

Right, i said Sony

What, did you even look at the link? There's a great breadth of content being released for all platforms, including the Vita.

Once again, I said sony. The people who said we wouldn't see any more AAA games for vita from sony

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

Once again, I said sony. The people who said we wouldn't see any more AAA games for vita from sony

So you equate the lack of 1st party support with lack of support for the platform? I'll concede they've given up ONLY under the condition they pull the plug and stop selling it in retail stores. Until then, its still being supported, just that it rests mostly on the shoulders of 3rd parties and indies.

right, i said sony.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MarkAndExecute

@lostrib said:

@MarkAndExecute said:

@lostrib said:

So you equate the lack of 1st party support with lack of support for the platform? I'll concede they've given up ONLY under the condition they pull the plug and stop selling it in retail stores. Until then, its still being supported, just that it rests mostly on the shoulders of 3rd parties and indies.

right, i said sony.

I'm beginning to think you're just upset because high profile titles like Revelations 2 is coming to the Vita and not the 3DS. =p