Rayman Origins is better than any mario 2d game ive played in a very long time.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

Just wanted to give a shot out to UBI for making a FANTASTIC game... its witty, quick, graphically amazing, tight controls, inventive level design, so sweet it makes your teeth rot soundtrack, co-op is a blast, and the list could go on and on... Its a damn shame that people can be "ok" with the ridiculous premise of a plumber stomping koopas and fighting a dragosaur to save a princess in another castle, because, "Its just so fun" but cant find it in their hearts to give a game with equally ridiculous premise a shot, especially since it wipes the floor with every mario 2d game ive played maybe since Super Mario World.

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7789 posts) -

But is it as good as Super Meat Boy? That game was magnificant in every way. :)

#3 Posted by spazzx625 (43432 posts) -

speedfreak48t5p
There are some levels (the red tooth levels) that are very SMB-esque.
#4 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

speedfreak48t5p
For me yes! I actually hit the frustration wall in that game and just couldnt stand it anymore. .. definately one of the tightes games though.
#5 Posted by WarTornRuston (2733 posts) -

I agree. Rayman Origins is the best 2D sidescroller I have played in years. Mario today is the SAME EXACT GAME as it was 20 years ago. Mario does not hold a candle to the new Rayman.

#6 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

speedfreak48t5p

Yes it is.

#7 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -
and yet new super mario prove that 2d platform gaming isnt dead.
#8 Posted by spike6958 (4785 posts) -
and yet new super mario prove that 2d platform gaming isnt dead. Rahnyc4
I agree, New Super Mario Bros Wii, paved the way for 2D platformers to truly come back, but Rayman Origins is a much superior game.
#9 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]and yet new super mario prove that 2d platform gaming isnt dead. spike6958
I agree, New Super Mario Bros Wii, paved the way for 2D platformers to truly come back, but Rayman Origins is a much superior game.

well maybe that can be true. what i played of super mario bros (which i currently own) is garbage. im not even motivated in completing the game and i love mario games. i just cant get into the new super mario bros on wii or ds.
#10 Posted by ActicEdge (24470 posts) -

I'll probably rent it. NSMBWii was a really good game imo. We'll see how I feel about Origins. Frankly though there hasn't been a 2D mario game besides NSMB and NSMBWii in a long lime lol. Its not a big accomplishment and I'm still doubring this game can beat Yoshi's Island.

#11 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8951 posts) -

This man speaks the truth. I'm one of the biggest Mario fans out there, but I have to admit Rayman Origins just smoked Nintendo's mascot. Rayman Origins is THAT good of a platformer. IMO there is no better 2D platformer in existence. It took many years, but something finally toppled Yoshi's Island.

Rayman Origins is my GOTY 2011 and perhaps the best game I played this entire generation

#12 Posted by Lucianu (9419 posts) -

That's a bold claim considering Super Mario World 2 is the greatest 2D platformer on Earth.

#13 Posted by ActicEdge (24470 posts) -

That's a bold claim considering Super Mario World 2 is the greatest 2D platformer on Earth.

Lucianu

This man speaks the truth.

#14 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -

This man speaks the truth. I'm one of the biggest Mario fans out there, but I have to admit Rayman Origins just smoked Nintendo's mascot. Rayman Origins is THAT good of a platformer. IMO there is no better 2D platformer in existence. It took many years, but something finally toppled Yoshi's Island.

Rayman Origins is my GOTY 2011 and perhaps the best game I played this entire generation

Pikminmaniac
strange that i hardly hear anyone talk about rayman origins, yet i heard more talk about donkey kong country wii
#15 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8951 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Rahnyc4

strange that i hardly hear anyone talk about rayman origins, yet i heard more talk about donkey kong country wii

Because many people bought DKCR and almost nobody bought Rayman Origins. Both are fantastic platformers, Rayman is far better IMO. It's a shame really... Some of the most brilliant and challenging level design and sharpest/smoothest controls I've ever experienced. It literally has everything I could ever want in a platformer. I've given out three 10/10 scores in the last 9 years and Rayman Origins fully deserved to be one of them

#16 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

Obviously? 2D Mario games aren't super amazing to begin with. NSMBW wasn't even the best 2D platformer of this gen before Rayman Origins. Super Mario World wasn't even the best 2D platformer of the 16 bit era. Mario hasn't had the best 2D platformer of a console generation since the 8 bit days imo. Also, I'd say Rayman Origins is the second best 2D platformer this gen. That honour goes to Super Meat Boy. Rayman Origins didn't challenge me enough to warrant the title of best 2D platformer this gen. Super Meat Boy got the difficulty level spot on and had me playing for months. I understand a lot of people will disagree with that though since it's not as accessible as games like Rayman Origins.

#17 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I'm waiting till it's super cheap. I know that game is going to be a commercial failure so I'm not going to buy it when it's $49.99 (I'm sorry Ubi, you launched it at the worst possible time).

#18 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8951 posts) -

I'm waiting till it's super cheap. I know that game is going to be a commercial failure so I'm not going to buy it when it's $49.99 (I'm sorry Ubi, you launched it at the worst possible time).

Haziqonfire

Poor Michel Ancel... He's one of the greatest creative minds in the industry, but his games are such commercial failures. Beyond Good and Evil was another of his games that deserved a lot more recognition than it did :(

#19 Posted by enzyme36 (1536 posts) -

Looks great and Im waiting for the price drop... a lot of game to keep me going till then. But I dont understand the hate for Mario from the TC. The only 2D sidescrollers that Mario has had in a while are the 2 NEW-SMB, and both those games are excellent. I expect Rayman to be excellent too, no reason you cant like both games.

#20 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

ActicEdge

This man speaks the truth.

He does :P

But it's also true that they haven't made a "proper" sequel to it yet (Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island DS don't count).

#21 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I like Yoshi's Island. But I don't consider it a Mario game. I consider it a spin off series. And yes it is a bit of a crime that the game hasn't really got a proper sequel on consoles.

#22 Posted by Wensea10 (864 posts) -
True that since there are several levels that are very breathtaking.
#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -
Cool opinion, bro. Glad you like it. :)
#24 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Poor Michel Ancel... He's one of the greatest creative minds in the industry, but his games are such commercial failures. Beyond Good and Evil was another of his games that deserved a lot more recognition than it did :(

Pikminmaniac

As much as I love and support the industry, I also watch carefully for game prices and get them when they're cheaper. I can't afford to get every game at $49.99 or $59.99.

Rayman is one of those games that will drop in price rapidly, rather wait and get it cheaper lol.

#25 Posted by starjet905 (1931 posts) -

speedfreak48t5p
It's like Super Meat Boy (though not as challenging) with a way better art direction.
#26 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

Looks great and Im waiting for the price drop... a lot of game to keep me going till then. But I dont understand the hate for Mario from the TC. The only 2D sidescrollers that Mario has had in a while are the 2 NEW-SMB, and both those games are excellent. I expect Rayman to be excellent too, no reason you cant like both games.

enzyme36
Didnt realize i projected any hate... actually if anyone i guess i was projecting some irritation at gamers. I was merely making a point that mario is a ridiculous premise and everyone flocks to it albeit because of its pedegree but a game like rayman gets lost in the shuffle even though it shares many similarities... just want people to give it a chance. Its excellent.
#27 Posted by Jane_22 (678 posts) -

I bought it a few days ago, gonna play it when ill finish replay the first one.

It looks really amazing, its a shame it didnt sell well but you can get it now from ShopTo for a nice price.

#28 Posted by clone01 (24745 posts) -

I definitely intend to play this when I eventually get through my backlog of games.

#29 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28396 posts) -

I need to get around to buying the game...sadly I have no gil....

#30 Posted by eyebrows (686 posts) -

I am one of the biggest fan of the Rayman games since the first one came out more than 15 years ago. However, I have noticed that all they do is get what Mario did before and improve it. Take Rayman 1, great game one of my favourite games of all time yet all it really did was build on the Super Mario games from the previous gen(s). Then Nintendo go 3d with Super Mario 64 and guess what? Rayman 2 comes out a few years later and merely builds upon what Super Mario 64 did. Rayman 2 was better than Super Mario 64 just by default because they pretty much copied it...3D, Stars = lums etc. They even originally planned to make Rayman 2 a 2D game but then saw the potential in copying Super Mario 64 and beating it:

You can even see from there that going into the background of the level via the showers was implemented in Rayman Origins which leads me to my next point...Rayman Origins only came out because AGAIN they wanted to copy New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Bottom line being that Nintendo do all of this originally and Rayman comes along, gets everything that is great, make it fundamental to the whole game and then adds improvements here and there so if you play both it's ultimate WIN.

#31 Posted by Arach666 (23038 posts) -

Sure,it ain´t better than VVVVVV though. :P

#32 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

Arach666
Oh man that game's difficult!! :x :P
#33 Posted by Arach666 (23038 posts) -
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

bbkkristian
Oh man that game's difficult!! :x :P

That it is,but it´s pretty awesome! :P
#34 Posted by lordlors (5607 posts) -
I'm one of the few who bought it at $50. Definitely better than DKCR and by far the best sidescrolling platformer this gen. Haven't played NSMB DS and Wii though. I'm more interested in 3d mario games than 2d actually. I loved Rayman 64. I hope the next Rayman game will be in 3d and will match Galaxy games' quality.
#35 Posted by caryslan2 (2101 posts) -

The original Rayman was about the only game I enjoyed on the Jaguar, so I am planning to get this game sometime in the future.

#36 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I am one of the biggest fan of the Rayman games since the first one came out more than 15 years ago. However, I have noticed that all they do is get what Mario did before and improve it. Take Rayman 1, great game one of my favourite games of all time yet all it really did was build on the Super Mario games from the previous gen(s). Then Nintendo go 3d with Super Mario 64 and guess what? Rayman 2 comes out a few years later and merely builds upon what Super Mario 64 did. Rayman 2 was better than Super Mario 64 just by default because they pretty much copied it...3D, Stars = lums etc. They even originally planned to make Rayman 2 a 2D game but then saw the potential in copying Super Mario 64 and beating it:

You can even see from there that going into the background of the level via the showers was implemented in Rayman Origins which leads me to my next point...Rayman Origins only came out because AGAIN they wanted to copy New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Bottom line being that Nintendo do all of this originally and Rayman comes along, gets everything that is great, make it fundamental to the whole game and then adds improvements here and there so if you play both it's ultimate WIN.

eyebrows

No, just no. Rayman 1 played absolutely nothing like any 2D Mario game. What, so you can jump in Rayman. That makes it a Mario copy? You couldn't even jump on enemies in Rayman 1! It had a completely different gameplay stile(GS won't let me spell the word correctly). It didn't take what Mario had and improve it. It just came up with its own stile and made that stile absolutely fantastic. By your logic all 2D platformers are Mario copies. A lot of 2D platformers of that time did that. Take Sonic for example. It's a platformer just like Mario and Rayman. Does it play anything like those games? No. It has the basic platforming gameplay on the surface, but had a unique feel and gameplay stile that was executed fantastically well. Just because it was a platformer it didn't make it a copy.

As for Rayman 2, it was nothing like Mario 64. It was a 3D platformer. That's about the only similarity. Mario 64 had gameplay built on exploration. Rayman 2 had a much more linear gameplay stile It was a get from point A to point B game as opposed to the open nature of the levels in Mario 64. Rayman 2 was probably more akin to Crash Bandicoot than Mario 64. And no, Rayman 2 wasn't a Crash copy either and had a very different feel to its gameplay.

Rayman Origins on the other hand did copy Mario in one aspect though. The co-op feature. That's directly ripped from NSMBW. That aside though, the gameplay of Rayman Origins feels very different to NSMB. So yeah, no Rayman game has copied Mario and improved it. Every single one has a completely unique gameplay stile Origins is the only one that has ever really copied from Mario, and that's only for the co-op feature and not the actual gameplay itself.

#37 Posted by Bigboi500 (29899 posts) -

Comparing new games to old ones is like apples and oranges. RO is terrific but let's not get stupid.

#38 Posted by chocolate1325 (32524 posts) -

I actually perferred DKC Returns over Rayman Origins.

#39 Posted by princemarth23 (9229 posts) -

I think Origins is better than NSMBWii and about on par with 3D Land, maybe slightly better. I enjoyed DKCR and Kirby: Return to Dreamland a bit more though, but those aren't 2d Mario games :P

#40 Posted by commonfate (12373 posts) -

I've been watching some YouTube videos and man it looks amazing... and so fun! Just watching some gameplay brought a smile to my face. I plan on getting it soon but for right now I'm playing some other titles.

#41 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

Rayman:Origins is gonna end up being a huge sleeper hit.

#42 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

Rayman:Origins is gonna end up being a huge sleeper hit.

#43 Posted by Coyful (479 posts) -
Agreed 3000%. It is incredible.
#44 Posted by khoofia_pika (13516 posts) -
I think it's as good as NSMB Wii, which means it's the best 2D platformer I've played in the last many, many years.
#45 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
will pick it up when it becomes super cheap. Didnt know it had coop
#46 Posted by eyebrows (686 posts) -

No, just no. Rayman 1 played absolutely nothing like any 2D Mario game. What, so you can jump in Rayman. That makes it a Mario copy? You couldn't even jump on enemies in Rayman 1! It had a completely different gameplay stile(GS won't let me spell the word correctly). It didn't take what Mario had and improve it. It just came up with its own stile and made that stile absolutely fantastic. By your logic all 2D platformers are Mario copies. A lot of 2D platformers of that time did that. Take Sonic for example. It's a platformer just like Mario and Rayman. Does it play anything like those games? No. It has the basic platforming gameplay on the surface, but had a unique feel and gameplay stile that was executed fantastically well. Just because it was a platformer it didn't make it a copy.

As for Rayman 2, it was nothing like Mario 64. It was a 3D platformer. That's about the only similarity. Mario 64 had gameplay built on exploration. Rayman 2 had a much more linear gameplay stile It was a get from point A to point B game as opposed to the open nature of the levels in Mario 64. Rayman 2 was probably more akin to Crash Bandicoot than Mario 64. And no, Rayman 2 wasn't a Crash copy either and had a very different feel to its gameplay.

Rayman Origins on the other hand did copy Mario in one aspect though. The co-op feature. That's directly ripped from NSMBW. That aside though, the gameplay of Rayman Origins feels very different to NSMB. So yeah, no Rayman game has copied Mario and improved it. Every single one has a completely unique gameplay stile Origins is the only one that has ever really copied from Mario, and that's only for the co-op feature and not the actual gameplay itself.burgeg

2 things:

A) I never said Rayman did a carbon copy of Mario. I said it copied the fundamentals of the game and made it their own regardless of generation, 2D/3D/back to 2D. Open your eyes, re-read what I said as I have backed up every point I made and on top of that, it's very obvious to anyone who has played both and followed their respective timelines regarding release dates. You don't find it strange that whatever Mario did, Rayman did after? I cannot make it any more simpler for you to understand. Again, I never said they are the same game...I just said at it's core, Rayman copied Mario at the base and built on it.

B) You think I'm going to take you seriously when you can't even spell style properly?

#47 Posted by lancea34 (6912 posts) -
[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]and yet new super mario prove that 2d platform gaming isnt dead. Rahnyc4

well maybe that can be true. what i played of super mario bros (which i currently own) is garbage. im not even motivated in completing the game and i love mario games. i just cant get into the new super mario bros on wii or ds.

Same here bro.
#48 Posted by foxhound_fox (88319 posts) -
I'll definitely pick it up when my craving for 2D platformers kicks in.
#49 Posted by ThumpyBowser (347 posts) -
I am sorry but saying it is better than Mario reaks of fanboy.
#50 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

Rayman Origins on the other hand did copy Mario in one aspect though. The co-op feature. That's directly ripped from NSMBW. That aside though, the gameplay of Rayman Origins feels very different to NSMB. So yeah, no Rayman game has copied Mario and improved it. Every single one has a completely unique gameplay stile Origins is the only one that has ever really copied from Mario, and that's only for the co-op feature and not the actual gameplay itself.eyebrows

2 things:

A) I never said Rayman did a carbon copy of Mario. I said it copied the fundamentals of the game and made it their own regardless of generation, 2D/3D/back to 2D. Open your eyes, re-read what I said as I have backed up every point I made and on top of that, it's very obvious to anyone who has played both and followed their respective timelines regarding release dates. You don't find it strange that whatever Mario did, Rayman did after? I cannot make it any more simpler for you to understand. Again, I never said they are the same game...I just said at it's core, Rayman copied Mario at the base and built on it.

B) You think I'm going to take you seriously when you can't even spell style properly?

A) The only way Rayman copied the "fundamentals" of Mario is the fact it's a platformer. The fact it has a jump button. That's it. By that logic so did Sonic. By that logic so did Super Meat Boy. By that logic so did Splosion Man. By that logic so did every platformer ever made! You can't see the stupidity in this? Something belonging in the same genre doesn't make it a copy, and even if you do consider a game in the same genre copying the fundamentals of the game, why even mention it? You might as well say the same about every platformer ever made for the last 25 years. You you say the same thing in a discussion about every other platformer out there? By your logic you might as well. You might as well say every FPS is a copy of Doom. You might as well say every sandbox game ever made is a copy of GTA. It's ridiculous to do so.

B) Gamespot has this thing about not letting me spell that word. I even said so in that post, so how you didn't understand that is beyond me. The same with words the word clasic(again, I'm spelling that wrong so it will actually let me post the word). *** will come up if I type those words properly.