Rayman Is In Smash Bros. 4

• 62 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

As a Trophy, yes, but he is there.

The full story:

Super Smash Bros. is set to feature a trophy of Rayman, creator Masahiro Sakurai has revealed.

"In order to make Rayman's trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references," he wrote. "We were expecting to receive 2D drawing references for Rayman, but to our surprise, they sent us data of a brand new 3D model that they rendered for this game!! And that was how this trophy was created. It takes a lot of work creating each model, so it's wonderful that the creators contributed their own efforts!!"

While it's awesome news that third-party trophies seem to be included in the game, the decision to announce the trophy today has immediately caused speculation that Rayman could be a playable fighter in the upcoming brawl 'em up. With the 33rd playable fighter set for reveal later today, hopefully it won't be too long before we find out.

SOURCE

This probably makes Smash 4 one of the greatest museums to, and celebrations of, gaming's icons. With Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega-Man, and now Rayman all in the same game, Smash Bros. 4's representation of gaming through the ages looks amazing.

#2 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10309 posts) -

Such a great franchise, Super Smash Bros. They could probably nerf Fox a bit, but still a fantastic series.

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -

I said this before, but Rayman should NOT be in there in any shape or form after the Legends fiasco. If anything, it's surprising Sony and Ubi haven't worked out a deal to put him in PSASBR.

#4 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

I still believe the announcement is Shulk.

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

I said this before, but Rayman should NOT be in there in any shape or form after the Legends fiasco. If anything, it's surprising Sony and Ubi haven't worked out a deal to put him in PSASBR.

Because burning MORE bridges with third parties is what Nintendo should be doing!

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

So is he playable or not ?

legends fiasco ?

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

I believe the announcement is still Shulk.

Definitely, but the presence of a western third party character in Smash is still pretty big news!

#8 Posted by AgeThe6 (91 posts) -

I would love to see Rayman make it into the game and not at launch at least maybe DLC later on.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

So is he playable or not ?

@nintendoboy16 said:

legends fiasco ?

Legends got delayed because Ubisoft decided to make a financially sound decision and not release it on Wii U three months after it had launched, and had sold like, 3 million units worldwide, with a userbase that was buying no games.

This apparently now constitutes a fiasco.

#10 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I believe the announcement is still Shulk.

Definitely, but the presence of a western third party character in Smash is still pretty big news!

Yes, I would love Rayman in the game too! :)

#11 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

legends fiasco ?

The gist of it:

Last year, Ubisoft delayed the game at the last minute to make it multiplat in response to the critically mixed Zombi U selling like ass. This angered both Nintendo fans and Ubisoft's own developers (one of them wrote a forum post explaining his frustrations on the situation). Salting wounds, they released another demo to "make it up" to Wii U owners of the game and came up with damage controlling PR stating that the game will still sell Wii U's. The game released and, unsurprisingly, it bombed in sales (it DID release around the same time GTA V released).

#12 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -

@charizard1605: May as well. Much of the Nintendo fandom as since shunned Ubisoft after that anyway.

#13 Edited by jg4xchamp (47270 posts) -

Rayman would be a fun character to add. I wouldn't mind some third party stuff

It be cool if they could get some noteworthy characters from the Nes/Snes era. Sonic works for being a big rival in the 90s, Pacman works for being from a similar era, but when I think Rayman I think the original Playstation. Though to be fair Rayman falls under The Snake class. Because Snake I also associate with Playstation, albeit his first game was what, the MSX?

Regardless if they could get more third party characters: Simon Belmont (Castlevania 1/Super Castlevania), Terra Branford, Crono or something like that. If it's gotta be recent guys, it be cool if they showed love to some of their successful DS/GBA stuff like Phoenix Wright, Layton, what's his face from Ghost Trick.

Well aware all of this is totally not plausible and not going to happen, but it be cool as fuck if Smash had that kind of range.

#14 Posted by trugs26 (5285 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

legends fiasco ?

The gist of it:

Last year, Ubisoft delayed the game at the last minute to make it multiplat in response to the critically mixed Zombi U selling like ass. This angered both Nintendo fans and Ubisoft's own developers (one of them wrote a forum post explaining his frustrations on the situation). Salting wounds, they released another demo to "make it up" to Wii U owners of the game and came up with damage controlling PR stating that the game will still sell Wii U's. The game released and, unsurprisingly, it bombed in sales (it DID release around the same time GTA V released).

And that demo was awesome. No complaints from me after they released that app. They totally made up for it.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (39059 posts) -

"as a trophy"

welp

#16 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

And that demo was awesome. No complaints from me after they released that app. They totally made up for it.

Everybody else doesn't seem to agree.

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

Legends got delayed because Ubisoft decided to make a financially sound decision and not release it on Wii U three months after it had launched, and had sold like, 3 million units worldwide, with a userbase that was buying no games.

This apparently now constitutes a fiasco.

The gist of it:

Every game seems to be delayed for Wii U these days (Watch Dogs, Project Cars, ...) if they are even coming to Wii U.

Is this Ubisofts fault ? Nintendo's fault for having a 'meh' relation with third party ? or Nintendo gamers fault for not buying enough third party games ?

It's probably a bit of all three.

#18 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16759 posts) -

Not Topic worthy

#19 Posted by yokofox33 (29347 posts) -

Good, I thought it was for the playable character. I would have been disappointed if that were true.

#20 Posted by Zassimick (6320 posts) -

Super Smash Bros is looking more fantastic with every tidbit of information.

Would I be upset if Rayman became playable? Not at all, I think it'd be fun to have a melee fighter with a bit of range; those hands and feet have distance! Shulk would still be a good addition, but anytime someone asks what third-party characters should be added I still hold to wanting Sora from Kingdom Hearts in there. That would be too good.

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

Aww, trophy? Shame. Wait, this wasn't the reveal they wanted to make it Evo was it? I was under the impression it was going to be an actual character....

#22 Posted by Vaasman (11219 posts) -

@charizard1605: OMG YES AMAZING LOVE RAYMAN DAY ON- "As a Trophy." ..... You are Hitler.

#23 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2747 posts) -

Playstation All Stars vs Smash Bros. You heard it here first.

#24 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Aww, trophy? Shame. Wait, this wasn't the reveal they wanted to make it Evo was it? I was under the impression it was going to be an actual character....

The New Challenger announcement? That's still going on.

#25 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -
#26 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -
#27 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@93BlackHawk93: Oh cool!

Any hints on who it might be?

Shulk, I think.

Hype deflated -_-

Would rather have Rayman as the character and Shulk as a trophy. Ah well...

#28 Posted by RnD_9 (79 posts) -

I'm glad he's not a character, enough 3rd party characters.

#29 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Desmonic said:

@93BlackHawk93: Oh cool!

Any hints on who it might be?

Shulk, I think.

Yes.

Monolith Soft retweeted the event and the Gedatsu leaker (that has yet to fail) confirmed it.

#30 Posted by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

good to see some new characters

#31 Posted by m_machine024 (14860 posts) -

I knew the thread was a trap somehow :P but I never thought of Rayman in Smash Bros and I think it would be a great idea! Too bad he's a trophy. :(

#32 Posted by DilIigaf (27 posts) -

Oh for Christ's sake, shut the fuck up already.

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26254 posts) -
#34 Posted by DilIigaf (27 posts) -
#35 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Oh my god! He's in he's in.... as a trophy.

#36 Posted by PonchoTaco (1961 posts) -

He would've been a cool character addition.

#37 Posted by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

as a trophy? Ok.

#38 Edited by commonfate (12252 posts) -

Such a great franchise, Super Smash Bros. They could probably nerf Fox a bit, but still a fantastic series.

He got hit pretty hard in Brawl.

#39 Posted by princeofshapeir (13710 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

He got hit pretty hard in Brawl.

People complain about Fox being "OP" in Melee, conveniently forget about Pikachu being broken in 64 and Meta Knight single-handedly ruining character balance in Brawl. lel

#40 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3449 posts) -

Good thing he's not a playable character, because having more unique characters to play as would suck.

#41 Posted by dotWithShoes (4832 posts) -

Rayman would be a fun character to add. I wouldn't mind some third party stuff

It be cool if they could get some noteworthy characters from the Nes/Snes era. Sonic works for being a big rival in the 90s, Pacman works for being from a similar era, but when I think Rayman I think the original Playstation. Though to be fair Rayman falls under The Snake class. Because Snake I also associate with Playstation, albeit his first game was what, the MSX?

Regardless if they could get more third party characters: Simon Belmont (Castlevania 1/Super Castlevania), Terra Branford, Crono or something like that. If it's gotta be recent guys, it be cool if they showed love to some of their successful DS/GBA stuff like Phoenix Wright, Layton, what's his face from Ghost Trick.

Well aware all of this is totally not plausible and not going to happen, but it be cool as fuck if Smash had that kind of range.

Did you just say PacMan was from the 90's?

#42 Posted by pyro1245 (526 posts) -

aw. a trophy? You raised my hopes and then swiftly shot them down. Well done, sir.

#44 Edited by Speak_Low (927 posts) -

delete double post (what the heck is going on with these glitchy boards?)

#45 Posted by MonsieurX (29471 posts) -

Gimme the game already!

#46 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1276 posts) -
#47 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (574 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

legends fiasco ?

The gist of it:

And also to add that Legends Wii U version sold way more units then the other platforms which ubisoft will never forget and that will teach them a lesson. Serves them right.

#48 Posted by SolidTy (42399 posts) -

I read Rayman is simply a trophy offsite and the OP confirms the same. Cool, but not that exciting for me.

#49 Posted by trugs26 (5285 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

Everybody else doesn't seem to agree.

Well their sense of entitlement is not fair or reasonable. Ubisoft is a business that needs to make money. They screwed up their promise, but they apologised and made up for it by giving us an quality early version in the end. Not accepting this apology or asking for more is just being unreasonable.

#50 Posted by parkurtommo (26441 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

legends fiasco ?

The gist of it:

Well if they didn't do that I wouldn't have Legends in my Steam Library right now. So thank you, Ubigods.