Rare: we'll never just revive an IP with "prettier graphics"

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24664 posts) -

Yeah, Rare doesn't revive old Ips... They butcher them.

#52 Edited by DrRockso87 (2507 posts) -

I wish Microsoft would just sell off Rare's franchises (except for Killer Instinct). They don't seem to care since they probably won't make money, no one's really left to make any good games over at Rare anyway, and honestly I'm tired of screaming for a new Banjo-Kazooie but being ignored.

As much as I want to say, "Screw it. I'm done. The game series is dead", I'll be back whenever the rumors circulate. Like always. Can't help it. I actually do want a new Banjo-Kazooie with a lick of HD paint, Rare. Not your shovelware crap.

#53 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11530 posts) -

Or maybe they know that they could never make a game as good as their old games.

#54 Edited by foxhound_fox (87416 posts) -

Be a hard thing to do when practically all the important people that made N64 Rare, Rare aren't there anymore.

#55 Posted by charizard1605 (55662 posts) -

Rare, please make a great game again. You were once among my favorite developers, I want you to achieve that greatness again.

#56 Posted by edwardecl (2036 posts) -

I'm sure they will make whatever Microsoft tells them to make.

#57 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

@handssss said:

@locopatho said:

@handssss said:

Yeah, they'll just keep all their beloved franhises dead and buried. Probably best that way after Nuts and Bolts. (before you even try and defend it, I don't care. it gave the finger to all fans of the originals by both existing and even with dialogue presented within the first 5 minutes of the game)

Good game, bad Banjo sequel.

If it wasn't a banjo game, it'd be fine. Instead, they have to give us Nostalgia only to go "oh wait, nobody actually likes games to be like this anymore. THIS is what is fun!"

fuck you, "Lord of Games"...

Yeah I tried to enjoy it but it just wasn't on. The Banjo elements were bad.

However I did very much enjoy the vehicle creation and the multiplayer. It would have been better as a new IP.

#58 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

Rare, please make a great game again. You were once among my favorite developers, I want you to achieve that greatness again.

They're gone pretty much. I still hyped them in the 360's glorious early years and I really enjoyed Kameo, Banjo Nuts and Bolts and especially Viva Pinata (as good as their finest N64 games imo).

But they stopped making proper games in 2008.

#59 Posted by Heil68 (43285 posts) -
#60 Edited by charizard1605 (55662 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

They're gone pretty much. I still hyped them in the 360's glorious early years and I really enjoyed Kameo, Banjo Nuts and Bolts and especially Viva Pinata (as good as their finest N64 games imo).

Yeah, but that's the thing- they haven't actually developed anything outside of two Kinect games since Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts. Those two games were absolutely boss (as was Kameo), so I have full faith this developer can be restored to its former glory. I'm seriously hoping that now that this Kinect Sports shit is out of the way, we'll get something more traditional and awesome from them.

#61 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (3966 posts) -

I like how their pretending they're actually the real original RARE.

Also if they released Banjo Tooie with it's same ugly N64 graphics on the One it would still be better than anything they've ever done besides their release of banjo tooie on xbox live which remains the best thing they've done.

They don't deserve all those amazing ips.

#62 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

@locopatho said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, but that's the thing- they haven't actually developed anything outside of two Kinect games since Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts. Those two games were absolutely boss (as was Kameo), so I have full faith this developer can be restored to its former glory. I'm seriously hoping that now that this Kinect Sports shit is out of the way, we'll get something more traditional and awesome from them.

Are their Kinect games "out of the way" though? I was pretty sure MS would be milking yearly sequels out of them. It would be very nice to see them making real games again but I don't really expect to see it.

Weren't they even making Avatar crap at one point?

#63 Edited by charizard1605 (55662 posts) -

I like how their pretending they're actually the real original RARE.

Also if they released Banjo Tooie with it's same ugly N64 graphics on the One it would still be better than anything they've ever done besides their release of banjo tooie on xbox live which remains the best thing they've done.

They don't deserve all those amazing ips.

Kameo, Viva Pinata, and Nuts n Bolts were all great, bro.

Are their Kinect games "out of the way" though? I was pretty sure MS would be milking yearly sequels out of them. It would be very nice to see them making real games again but I don't really expect to see it.

Weren't they even making Avatar crap at one point?

The way Rare talks about it, it certainly seems like it, yes.

And they did, they in fact created avatars for the Xbox 360, but that happens with all studios, when they are pulled in for technical support with OS, development environments, assets, or engines (the mighty Retro Studios was asked to help with textures in Mario Kart 7; Monolith Soft were asked to provide technical assistance with the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This sort of thing happens), so I don't hold it as a mark on their record or anything.

Since 2000, they have given us Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Fox Adventures, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo: Elements of Power, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports Season 2, and Kinect Sports Rivals. That's not as great a record as their SNES/N64 heyday, but it's far from bad. None of those games is bad except for Grabbed by the Ghoulies, some of them are actually incredible (Perfect Dark, Conker, Conker, Banjo Tooie, and if you don't want to count their N64 stuff, Viva Pinata), the others are good, and hell, even the Kinect games were good for what they were, even though they weren't what we want this studio to be doing.

I have faith.

#64 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

That's cool, I'd rather them make a game like Kameo than make something like Nuts and Bolts.

#65 Edited by blackace (20086 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

stick with kinect games rare your boss told you so

You'll get a taste at the E3 and it won't be a Kinect game. lol!!

#66 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3978 posts) -

The new guys at RARE couldn't do justice to RARE's old games if they tried, MS should have other devs work on those ips.

I wouldn't trust RARE with cell phone games.

#67 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3978 posts) -

@locopatho said:
@charizard1605 said:

The Stamper Brothers left before Nuts and Bolts. I think MS just gave up on them then.

They have had the opportunities and failed, they're just costing too much money trying to make games.

Double Helix is not a good dev, but under the supervision of Ken Lobb, they did a good job of KI. But with no one at RARE they're worthless. I'm hoping KI will encourage MS to have other devs work on older RARE ips. 343 could have ago at PD.

I don't know who could do the platform games. I think it take rare (no pun intended) talent to be able to do 3D platformers. Only a handful do a great job imo, Nintendo being best right now. but I always preferred Banjo to Mario 64 even though it was easier, I don't know why, I guess I just thought it was more fun.

There's jet force Gemini and Blast Corps, could be good.