Rare: we'll never just revive an IP with "prettier graphics"

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

looks like i was onto something...see, i knew it that it wasnt knitpicking at all. it makes perfect sense...new gen, try new things. :] ;}

http://www.totalxbox.com/73441/rare-talks-xbox-one-reboots-well-never-just-revive-an-ip-with-prettier-graphics/

"Rare talks Xbox One reboots: we'll never just revive an IP with "prettier graphics"

"That's just not the first party thing to do, and it's not the Rare thing to do."

"We would never ever make a remake of a game we made 10 years ago and just put prettier graphics on it and add tick box whatever new features we have on our platform, because that's just not the first party thing to do, and it's not the Rare thing to do."

"An important detail from Aoife's Kinect Sports Rivals preview: Rare's Twycross HQ spans four converted barns, three of which are off-limits because never you mind why they're off-limits, stupid journalist person. What could those barns contain? The lost treasure of Atlantis? The ghost of Don Mattrick? Or perhaps, one of those reboots Rare is often accused of working on - a new Banjo, Perfect Dark or Viva Pinata for Xbox One"

they're obviously working on something else, an older ip maybe...but its good to see a 1st party not just throw some HD paint on a game and call it a night. short and sweet...any thoughts on this posters?

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

stick with kinect games rare your boss told you so

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

Too bad there are a few games I'd like to see with only just an HD coat of paint and nothing else altered.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Good for them, now give me a game that isn't a Kinect game. Give me Kameo 2, Prefect Dark, or B&K. Heck make a Kart Racer the caliber of Diddy Kong for the one with OPTIONAL Kinect controls.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

It's ok Rare, I already know you and your old franchises are dead.

Now go on to make some more casual crap.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tymeservesfate

@iambatman7986 said:

Good for them, now give me a game that isn't a Kinect game. Give me Kameo 2, Prefect Dark, or B&K. Heck make a Kart Racer the caliber of Diddy Kong for the one with OPTIONAL Kinect controls.

i added a edit to the opening post. they're working on some other IPs but are not releasing any information on them yet. hopefully ur right about the Kinect aspect and they just make a, non-Kinect game, with regular controls.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Not on the Xbone, that's for sure.

They'll force some Kinect crap in cos it's Rare. That's what they do.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Yeah, they'll just keep all their beloved franhises dead and buried. Probably best that way after Nuts and Bolts. (before you even try and defend it, I don't care. it gave the finger to all fans of the originals by both existing and even with dialogue presented within the first 5 minutes of the game)

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Yeah, it makes way more sense to let your ips go to cheap no name devs than stay in house, and instead focus on Kinect party games.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

OT: Some of rare's older games before they went 100% kinect were universally loved so them bringing them back with remastered versions would probably be a lot better than what they're doing now

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

so they make kinect games?!?!?!

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's ok Rare, I already know you and your old franchises are dead.

Now go on to make some more casual crap.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tymeservesfate

@misterpmedia said:

@lglz1337 said:

OT: Some of rare's older games before they went 100% kinect were universally loved so them bringing them back with remastered versions would probably be a lot better than what they're doing now

sidenote- i'll reply to you in the infamous thread later. its dead in there and it won't let me post a third message because no one else has posted yet. won't be an "essay" either lol.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@handssss said:

Yeah, they'll just keep all their beloved franhises dead and buried. Probably best that way after Nuts and Bolts. (before you even try and defend it, I don't care. it gave the finger to all fans of the originals by both existing and even with dialogue presented within the first 5 minutes of the game)

Good game, bad Banjo sequel.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Nuts and Bolts was amazing. Easily one of the most inventive and gorgeous games of previous generation. I spent almost as much time with it as I did with Fallout 3!

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Apparently the "Rare" thing to do is making crappy kinect games :p

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

They don't even make games anymoee, unless you count kinect shovel ware

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tymeservesfate

@tyloss said:

They don't even make games anymoee, unless you count kinect shovel ware

where's that PM blondie?

lol smh

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Rare isn't going to do that, because they can't do it anyways. All the talent at that use to be Rare has been gone for a decade. I'm willing to bet no one from Rare's hey-day is with them now.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse not. They will add Microtransaction, DRM, Crappy DLC and other crappy stuff I don't like. So I guess I should be thankfull.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Is news about Rare still thread-worthy?

They've been dead for what, a decade?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

KI is awesome and Nuts and Bolts was a very good game as well. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Rare been off the radar for 10 years, and now they're trying to make themselves relevant. They know what they fans want, and they know that they can't deliver on it, due to Microsoft restricting them.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

ITT: Acting like it's the same rare that used to be worth a damn.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vickissv2

BTW I hope this wasn't an indirect dig at DH's Killer Instinct, because the game looks and plays fantastic. The most hype fighting game since UMVC3.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kuu2

@Desmonic: I dont really care who deved the game, it is a redone Rare franchise that is awesome. N&B might not be your cup of tea but it is miles better than the trash I see today. Comparing it to the originals is not really fair since N&B was not a sequel but an actually different game using Banjo assets. A lot of the backlash was not from the game being subpar but from the butt hurt that was caused by it not being the typical Banjo.

Lastly MSoft should have a first party studio that is dedicated to Kinect. Kinect is MSofts baby and needs to be supported directly by them. Ask Sony how great it is to launch a peripheral and not support it.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vickissv2

I've tweeted to Major Nelson and Phil Spencer about having the body/face scan technology be a standard in mainstream non kinect games and this was the response : https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/438714723568074752

Kind of disappointing. The ability to scan oneself into a game like Mass Effect or UFC would definitely legitimize the necessity of the Kinect 2.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuu2
@Desmonic said:

@kuu2: I know, I'm saying they should make more games like that (or new IP's even) instead of just Kinect. It's a shame really...

Got it. I think you will see more of the KI type redo done by other devs and Kinect still handled in house by Rare (Crosses fingers for e3). Most of the talent from the original Rare team is gone that made games like Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, and Conquer so I think handing it over to other devs is the right decision. I would also like to see a proper Kameo sequel as well. Outside of Mario I have not seen a good 3d platformer in a while.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Desmonic: I dont really care who deved the game, it is a redone Rare franchise that is awesome. N&B might not be your cup of tea but it is miles better than the trash I see today. Comparing it to the originals is not really fair since N&B was not a sequel but an actually different game using Banjo assets. A lot of the backlash was not from the game being subpar but from the butt hurt that was caused by it not being the typical Banjo.

Lastly MSoft should have a first party studio that is dedicated to Kinect. Kinect is MSofts baby and needs to be supported directly by them. Ask Sony how great it is to launch a peripheral and not support it.

**Clears throat** The MOVE was supported by Sony. It just wasn't forced down the throats of consumers by Sony.

**Zing**

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kuu2

@ermacness said:

@kuu2 said:

**Clears throat** The MOVE was supported by Sony. It just wasn't forced down the throats of consumers by Sony.

**Zing**

Keep telling yourself that.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@ermacness said:

@kuu2 said:

**Zing**

Keep telling yourself that.

Plenty of Sony exclusives, and some multiplats supported the MOVE, and from what reviewers stated, the MOVE add-in was actually a very functional feature in most of the games that supported it. While Kinect had a better exclusive line-up compared to the MOVE, it's inclusion in core titles was rather broken, or not highly favored by most of the consumers. The MOVE was undoubtedly supported by Sony, but Sony didn't take the MOVE and forced it on consumers.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Well if Sports rivals works as well as the jetski demo, I'll be picking it up. Had a blast yesterday with family on that. I think we'll see something other than Kinect from them.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

People just need to let it go.

Half the studio left in the N64 days to create Free Radical, and they lost many devs after that point up until the original founders left in 2007.

What do people expect from this dev? It's not the same Rare, and to be honest it's sad how the people who seem to complain the most about Rare are probably the same people who didn't support any of their post-N64 titles (we all know they didn't sell very well).

People hate MS for having Rare pursue other opportunities after they tried many, many times to appeal to "teh core" fanbase that didn't support them anyways, and it really hurts what remains of Rare to this day.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is PR and I'm not a fan of PR, BUT this may be interesting to other users.

Besides being PR, you have to look at who's saying these words at RARE.

It's studio head Craig Duncan, who has only been with RARE since 2011, so he's hardly qualified to speak of RARE's past accomplishments as he wasn't at RARE. Furthermore, Duncan was hired by Kinect designer and relatively new RARE Studio Manager Scott Henson who was appointed as RARE head with the intent that RARE's main focus was on Kinect. Unfortunately for RARE, those games were successful, new hires were made, and many RARE veterans have left RARE.

What does the newest guy, Craig Duncan, have on his gaming resume before joining the newly directed KINECT RARE?

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/craigduncan

1. Development Director at Sumo Digital
  2. Studio Head at Midway Games
  3. Director of Product Development at Codemasters

He said above, "We would never ever make a remake of a game we made 10 years ago". "We made 10 years ago"? Funny, he wasn't at RARE 10 years ago, it's not the same RARE as 10 years ago. This is just another reason why I don't like PR, it's misleading garbage. If I didn't look it up, I would have assumed this guy was a RARE veteran and worked there for 10 years and is talking about bringing back IPs that he had something to do with. Those would all be false assumptions. This guy talking for RARE is just the guy that was hired to run RARE a few years ago, by another guy who was a Kinect Engineer and who changed RARE into a Kinect Studio. This is a guy from Midway games, Codemasters, and Sumo Digital...none of those developers have much in common with the prestige of Old RARE, nor did they release games related to the kinds of games that put RARE on the map.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

These imposters need to shut their mouths and go away. They have zero right to call themselves Rare, or claim to even know what the "Rare" way of making videogames even means. All these hacks have done the past few years is take whatever Nintendo is doing with the Wii____ series and move it to Kinect. They don't have an ounce of originality in their bodies. Yet they sit back and say "well making a sequel to an older IP that everybody loves isn't original enough for us". What a joke. You can't get more hypocritical than that. The fact that they are even attempting to claim anything they are doing is new or innovative is an insult to the intelligence of the general public.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

The funny thing is, I don't think many people currently working at Rare even made a Rare game, 10 years ago. Everybody quit after M$ intervened with their creativity and were replaced with scabs. Most probably aren't even old enough to have ever played a Rare game in the companies prime.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

Give me Perfect Dark, Conker and Kameo 2

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

Then revive it with better gameplay and graphics.................

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tymeservesfate

@Murderstyle75:

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Rare isn't going to do that, because they can't do it anyways. All the talent at that use to be Rare has been gone for a decade. I'm willing to bet no one from Rare's hey-day is with them now.

Page 2, second paragraph.

"The development team, some of whom have been at Rare since the days of Conker and Goldeneye, were also happy to share anecdotes and chat about their experiences with other IPs."

yea, so, don't bet on that.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Honestly, an HD remake of one of their old products would inevitably be better than any new material they could put out.

Not that their a bad studio, currently. Just super average.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tymeservesfate

@steamistrash said:

Then revive it with better gameplay and graphics.................

BINGO

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@locopatho said:

@handssss said:

Good game, bad Banjo sequel.

If it wasn't a banjo game, it'd be fine. Instead, they have to give us Nostalgia only to go "oh wait, nobody actually likes games to be like this anymore. THIS is what is fun!"

**** you, "Lord of Games"...

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

We will just keep on making shitty new IPs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Last good 3D platformer I played was Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Still not close to Mario quality but a 7 or 8 easily. Also Tearaway is pretty damn good! Though short and somewhat linear, it's the kind of game that just puts a smile on your face.

Proper 3D platformers have become a rare thing this past gen though...

That was a fun game and I love the genre which is why I have Nintendo and Sony consoles. Along with Sly Cooper, I enjoyed Ratchet's Crack in Time outing as well as Mario Galaxy 1/2, LBP 1/2, New Mario Wii U. I loved Rayman's recent outing as well. In terms of 3D, they are going away, but as you said, Tearaway and Sly are good examples, along with imo Ratchet and Mario Galaxy. I think Ratchet is going on hiatus (unless a new dev) now though considering Insomniac's new direction.