Rank and share thoughts on these traditional controllers!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Interested in seeing what people gravitate towards with these three, similar controllers:

Some thoughts for each:

Most aesthetically pleasing: Xbox One controller

Most practical: Wii U Pro Controller ~ 90 hour battery life

Biggest improvement from previous model: Dual Shock 4

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

for me only controller I can realistically use for extended period of time = x1 controller

the thumb stick placement on the others I can't adjust too. after a generation of 360

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

X1 because its closest to the gamecube (aka perfect) controller

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19376 Posts

@smashed_pinata said:

The GameCube pad is still my favourite controller too.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I've only tried a PS4 controller and I'd say it's better than the PS3 one. Although it still has crap triggers/buttons.

I'll have to grab an XBone controller on boxing day for my PC and hope it's as good as the X360 one.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

@smashed_pinata said:

I've never really noticed it till now, but that might be the reason why I love the X1 controller (aside from the top buttons) so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I like offset analog sticks so that pushes the Xbox One controller in the lead right there. The DS4 is FAR better than the DS3, so I'm happy with the improvement there. The touch pad and the light add some neat features to games, but the battery life is laughable. And I was one of the early adopters that had problems with the rubber on the analog sticks cracking/pealing off. The Wii U pro controller is very good too. Especially the battery life.

So overall best is the Xbox One.
Because of the added features I will put the DS4 in second. But that battery life is a real problem.
Wii U pro controller is solid. Sticks might be a little too loose and the symmetrical analog sticks are not my cup of tea. Great battery life though!

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

The Xbox One controller is definitely the perfect controller for 3D games which is why I buy all multiplat 3D games on my Xbox One. It's only big fault is it's d-pad, which is why I try to avoid buying 2D games for it if I have a choice.

The PS4 controller is definitely the most improved since the PS3 controller was the worst controller ever, but it still has bad analog sticks and the left analog stick is still in the wrong position so I don't like using it for 3D games. I think it has the greatest d-pad of all time though, so I buy 2D games for PS4 if it's available.

The Wii U Pro controller is the best all-purpose controller; I can use it for both 3D and 2D games without complaints, but I don't think it is the best in any one category.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Dualshock and it's idiotic battery sucking light, the life battery is ridiculous.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: perfect assessment.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

I really love the DS4, best Sony controller yet and I've always liked the DS line.

I don't own a Wii U pro yet, but I've used it a few times and it's right up there with the best. Still prefer the DS4 though.

STILL haven't ever played an Xbone, so no experience with the controller. It looks solid enough, but I've never been a fan of offset analogs. Does the dpad still blow a bag of dicks?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@TheEroica: Thank you sir!

Any word on when the latest podcast episode is going up? I've been on BBC watch seeing if @Heil68 's warning will come true.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thunderdrone

@raugutcon said:

Dualshock and it's idiotic battery sucking light, the life battery is ridiculous.

Not surprising when the battery pack is actually weaker than the one on the DS3

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: gonna have it out over the next week. We're not recording again till after the holidays so we're gonna hang on to yours a few extra days for those who need a pedal to the metal fix during the break. Lol. We have one other cast ready for a thread that @Heil68: is cooking up this week...

No video in these though so a low chance of BBC. Haha.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PS4 Controller is overall the best. Perfectly symmetrical. Perfect D-pad. Makes sense.

Xbone Controller is 2nd best. Left thumb stick is in wrong spot. You have to break your left thumb to play games. D-pad although better than the 360 controller, still fails.

Wii Pro Controller is the worst out of the 3. Both Sticks are in the wrong place. It is especially jarring having the left stick above the buttons which makes no sense. I don't understand why nintendo thought this was a good idea. Common sense has the left stick underneath the buttons as it is a camera stick and you want to be moving it up/forward while pushing buttons instead of down/backwards which will spin you around in games. VERY poor oversight.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

X1 controller is my favorite. It is comfortable and even the complaints about shoulder buttons faded for me as I used it more. DS4 is ok. The WiiU pro is so much like the 360 but hate reaching lower to get the buttons.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thunderdrone

@stuff238 said:

PS4 Controller is overall the best. Perfectly symmetrical. Perfect D-pad. Makes sense.

Xbone Controller is 2nd best. Left thumb stick is in wrong spot. You have to break your left thumb to play games. D-pad although better than the 360 controller, still fails.

Wii Pro Controller is the worst out of the 3. Both Sticks are in the wrong place. It is especially jarring having the left stick above the buttons which makes no sense. I don't understand why nintendo thought this was a good idea. Common sense has the left stick underneath the buttons as it is a camera stick and you want to be moving it up/forward while pushing buttons instead of down/backwards which will spin you around in games. VERY poor oversight.

Ergonomically the neutral pose of your hands shows that thumbs are parallel to your other fingers and not at a 90º angle. Meaning that thumbs naturally point upwards and pushing them down to operate a multidirectional stick is actually fighting against their natural orientation, so...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Those are modern controllers....not traditional. Anyway I can play with any controller.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I own both the ds4 and x1 controller. I bought the ds4 first and thought it was a huge improvement over the ds3 and nearly as comfortable as the 360 pad. But, the x1 pad is largely a huge improvement over the 360 pad, so clearly it is better than the ds4.

Never tried the wiiu pro controller, but it not having proper triggers is a huge let down.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Those are modern controllers....not traditional. Anyway I can play with any controller.

Standard might have been the better word for it, but traditional works. It's pretty much the design that started with the SNES pad and was finalized with the Dualshock. Most controllers since have been variations on that core "traditional" design.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

The X1 controller is the best controller EVER....seriously

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wolverine4262
@LJS9502_basic said:

traditional and modern arent necessarily mutually exclusive.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

WiiU Gamepad and Kinect are so much better though. lol jk

Dualshock 4.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thunderdrone

@LJS9502_basic said:

Traditional in the way they are designed, shaped etc...

You can have a modern device that follows a traditional design

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

That's still kind of silly. Except for the Atari joystick et al....controllers have tended to be similar. Nonetheless....traditional is not the best word. Why not just ask which current controller is the favorite? I expected to see some controllers of old here....was disappointed.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thunderdrone

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

That's still kind of silly. Except for the Atari joystick et al....controllers have tended to be similar. Nonetheless....traditional is not the best word. Why not just ask which current controller is the favorite? I expected to see some controllers of old here....was disappointed.

I didn't say "current" because the standard Wii U controller is the non-traditionally designedGamepad and not the Pro.

Thread title was actually longer and more specific originally. Blame it on the retarded 60 character limit. Sorry bout the confusion though

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wolverine4262
@LJS9502_basic said:

You are equating traditional with old and thats not always accurate. Traditional typically means something still used today.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

DS4 1 The best of the best and perfected the already superior Ds3

X1 2 -Good controller, but they messed up shoulder buttons

WiiU pro 3-No use for it

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

wiiu pro has no analog triggers

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

To be honest the PS1 - Dualshock 3 is the best form factor and thumbsticks... but the DS4 is much better built with more precise analog sticks, the only thing I dislike is the design of the thumbsticks themselves not as much grip which is why I guess some people are destroying the sticks.

The Xbox controllers look too bulky to me, and from what I've heard the accuracy / deadzone is bad, the Sixaxis/DS3 was better than the X360 (I heard so many complaints with GTAV gun range for example because of the shit deadzone) and people have said the Xbox One controller is worse, dunno how anyone can live with that,

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

I still greatly prefer the PS2/PS1/PS3 controller design over all controllers this gen. Some of the rapid button presses for action games aren't really comfortable on the newer controllers.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

The Xbox One controller is the best current controller. Yes it's bumpers take some warming up to, but after a couple hours of gameplay you'll quickly adjust to the point where other regular bumpers just aren't as good. Seriously, I've gone back to playing on my 360 controller and I hate the rb and lb buttons xD the x1 controller has great analogue sticks (good grip, precise, placement), good triggers, and a design that fits incredibly well in my hands (I have big hands). Plus the battery life on both the play and charge and on AAs is good (over 20 hours)

The DS4 is a strange thing, as an owner of both the ps4 and the x1 Ive spent quite some time gaming on both of them, and I believe it's just an awkward mix of good and bad. The shape of the controller and the way it fits in my hand is much improved over the ds3 and it's clear that this alone is the best improvement. The controller is very comfortable to hold, which was my main problem with the ds3 (anyone with big hands knows this feel xD)

Where Sony went wrong is with the build quality. The sticks literally fall apart and crumble after regular use, mine have only just started but 3 or 4 of my friends have this issue. The battery life is abysmal, sometimes lasting under 5 or 6 hours. If you were going to have the built in battery suck that much, I wouldve preferred AAs lol there is seriously no excuse, considering I can pick up any of my ds3s today and they will still light up with charge if I press that home button. The triggers are poor (I have no idea why Sony can't get the feel of triggers down) both in feel and in build quality, regular use has them getting squeaky and requiring some sort of lube if you don't want to drive yourself insane.

In short, the x1 controller is a proper successor in my opinion. It retains all of the things that made the 360 controller one of the best, and it adds in all the right places. The ds4, while greatly improved confort wise, suffers in most other areas. It's biggest issue is build quality, it just seems these controllers were designed with a short life span in mind. It also takes some serious hits in areas where the ds3 used to excel (battery life) and imo needs one more revision before it can compete. I still buy multiplats for my x1 only because I prefer that controller.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Dualshock 4, the X1 controller would be great, but I hate the sticks. The WiiU pro is fine, but the triggers are straight weak, and something about the analogs bugs me in things like smash, and to a lesser extent in Bayonetta 2.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

X1: Better sticks, triggers too. Bumper buttons are worse, guide and view/menu buttons cheap looking and a missed opportunity.

DS4: Touchpad is a welcome addition - doesn't override the basic design while still adding functional inputs. Probably the best build quality, but the battery life is poor and the lack of lightbar options is a glaring omission. Good triggers, shoulders, sticks.

Wii U Pro: Battery life is top notch. Triggers feel cheap, face button spacing is a bit odd, but otherwise wholly functional. Not a fan of the Pro for FPS, but a suitable substitute for other genres.

Gamepad: Good ergonomics, but hulky size and lack of support make it an unnecessary burden. Offers some flexible options for inputs, but largely underutilized. Gets annoying to have to revert back to using the gamepad for certain OS functions.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

I love the Xbox One controller, but after some time on my PS4 I feel like they have some great features about it. I like the way you can type with it, and I like the sounds from games that come thru the speaker on the controller. Just gaming wise though--I love the Xbox One controller. Sometimes while playing with the PS4 contoller thumb slips off the Right Stick....

I have yet to get a Wii U controller--just got a Wii U and still learning what's good with it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wii U Pro is leaps and bounds and leaps and bounds higher on the quality chart than either of the other two, or any other gamepad for that matter.

• Bluetooth connectivity
  • 80 hour rechargeable Li-ion battery
  • Perfect ergonomics (i.e. all buttons feel in the right places and the shape is right for the human hand)
  • Lightweight
  • Naturally placed, symmetrical joysticks
  • Mini-USB charging port (i.e. universal)

It's one of the few gamepads left that doesn't cramp my hands after a few hours of play these days.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

DS4 is my favorite. I don't like the Xbox asymmetrical sticks.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@stuff238 said:

Ergonomically the neutral pose of your hands shows that thumbs are parallel to your other fingers and not at a 90º angle. Meaning that thumbs naturally point upwards and pushing them down to operate a multidirectional stick is actually fighting against their natural orientation, so...

Not in my case my thumbs when holding a ds4 rest at 45º so it's very comfortable also my uncle who has long fingers holds it the same way if your thumbs are 90° then I don't know how you hold a ds4 for me to get my thumbs 90° I would have to hold the controller in an uncomfortable position.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I guess my hands are smaller than average, but I thought the DS4 felt awful to hold and navigate with, like i had to stretch my thumbs out farther than was comfortable to really have a good feel on the sticks.

The XB1 controller feels smaller than the 360 but still fits and contours with your hands nicely unlike the DS3, so I guess I'd give it to that.

I think Nintendo should just modify the GC controller and make that compatible with their systems now and always in the future, best controller ever!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Xbox One controller I haven't tried, but I like the 360 controller, and this one seemed improved. So it's probably great.

Wii-U controller is awesome in pretty much all ways. Feels great and holds for freaking 80 hours.

PS4 controller is as horrible as Sony's controllers usually are. They're uncomfortable and the sticks are in the wrong place. It's a mystery to me why they don't realise their controllers have been absolute crap.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I'm sick of Sony's controller design. It works, but it hasn't improved all that much in 20 years.

X360 and XONE have sexy controllers. WiiU's is fine too.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Out of those 3, I'd say Xbone>Wii U>PS4. The Wii U tablet is quite a bit better than all 3, though.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: I do have to say I like the Wii U tablet better than those 3 too.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

@PurpleMan5000: I do have to say I like the Wii U tablet better than those 3 too.

That mystifies me. I don't understand how anyone could like gaming with that clunky fucker. Not complaining though, they kindly gave me (well, allowed me to buy...) an excellent traditional controller!

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

PS4 Controller is my favorite..

The XB1 Controller would have been my #1 pick (since i prefer offset analog sticks) but MS fucked up on the shoulder buttons (especially LB and RB)

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I've experienced both the Wii U pro controller and Dual shock 4 to a great extent

Wii U pro controller:

+outstandingly comfortable. Perhaps the most comfortable controller ever made.

+exceptional battery life (80 hours)

+all buttons, d-pad, and analogues are of a high quality

-I still think Game cube and Xbox got it right with analogue placement. The natural default positions of your thumbs should be on the left analogue and right face buttons. Movement and actions are the two things that are done simultaneously in most games. The Wii U pro controller and Playstation controllers have you playing lop-sided for the most part

-It's weird that the triggers are not force sensitive.

PS4 controller

+A huge improvement over past Playstation controllers in comfort

+great force sensitive triggers

+All buttons and D- pad are of a high quality

-The analogue sticks feel really cheep both in the material they are made of and their softness of movement.

-As stated above, the analogues should not be symmetrical.

-Battery life is atrocious