Raging Over Remakes?

• 67 results
#1 Edited by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

What's will all the rage for remakes on new consoles? It makes no sense for people to be mad at remakes.

1) If you've never played the game last gen, here's your chance to play an updated version of it, most likely with all of the DLC from the first release.

2)If you enjoyed the previous gen version and want to play it again, spend on, because it's your money and you do what you want with it.

3) If you've played the game and don't want to play it again, then don't buy it. You don't have to do it.

Hating on a remake, regardless of platform is asinine.

#2 Posted by lostrib (34278 posts) -

Oh yeah! Well you're asinine

#3 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Oh yeah! Well you're asinine

Takes one to know one!

#4 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Because they are same games selling at almost full price just some high resolution textures.

#5 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

Because they are same games selling at almost full price just some high resolution textures.

Again, from what I've seen, they usually come with content that was DLC previously. Also, if you feel it's too expensive, then don't buy it.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (29486 posts) -

Because devs are wasting their time with those cash grabs.

#7 Posted by cainetao11 (16842 posts) -

What's will all the rage for remakes on new consoles? It makes no sense for people to be mad at remakes.

1) If you've never played the game last gen, here's your chance to play an updated version of it, most likely with all of the DLC from the first release.

2)If you enjoyed the previous gen version and want to play it again, spend on, because it's your money and you do what you want with it.

3) If you've played the game and don't want to play it again, then don't buy it. You don't have to do it.

This entire forum is asinine. But this is what is done here. Complain, troll, laugh and point fingers when its your turn because every faction eats shyte at some point. The reason people complain is they want companies to spend revenue on NEW games.

I love number 2 because last gen with all the threads about Live was evil and all that, many said the same thing to cows.

#8 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

I honestly thought this thread was going to be about remaking Rage, lol.

#9 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

How do you know they're wasting time? Most developers have teams dedicated to these things while others work on main projects. Like the Halo Collection. 343 is working on both getting the collection out and working on Halo 5. I wouldn't call that a waste of time.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

Um... I'd rather go out and buy the last-gen version of the game, put it in my next-gen console, and have it run with all the fun upscaling. You know, like how consoles used to be.

All these "remakes" are just a way for Sony (Microsoft is actually creating a fantastic package with the MC Collection) to charge people twice for the same game. It's exactly the reason why they didn't include backwards compatibility in the PS4.

#11 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

This entire forum is asinine. But this is what is done here. Complain, troll, laugh and point fingers when its your turn because every faction eats shyte at some point. The reason people complain is they want companies to spend revenue on NEW games.

I love number 2 because last gen with all the threads about Live was evil and all that, many said the same thing to cows.

And look at where they are now. Paying for PS+ and loving it lol. But this isn't even about a specific platform, it seems like remakes in general are taboo to gamers all of a sudden. And it's not like these companies aren't building new games. Throwing more people in a project doesn't make it get done faster.

#12 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

Um... I'd rather go out and buy the last-gen version of the game, put it in my next-gen console, and have it run with all the fun upscaling. You know, like how consoles used to be.

All these "remakes" are just a way for Sony (Microsoft is actually creating a fantastic package with the MC Collection) to charge people twice for the same game. It's exactly the reason why they didn't include backwards compatibility in the PS4.

I don't think that's why. It's more like the PS3's architecture is difficult to emulate. If you disagree, then what's Microsoft's excuse for not emulating 360 games?

#13 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6903 posts) -

#14 Posted by MonsieurX (29486 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

How do you know they're wasting time? Most developers have teams dedicated to these things while others work on main projects. Like the Halo Collection. 343 is working on both getting the collection out and working on Halo 5. I wouldn't call that a waste of time.

Because the team working on the remake could be working on something else.

#15 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

LOL I edited the title.

#16 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@MonsieurX said:

Because the team working on the remake could be working on something else.

Right, and then when the B team puts out something that's sub par, because they're the B team, it gets destroyed by critics and forum posters. Why not have them sharpen their skills on the new console with a port rather than put them on a new project with no direction?

#17 Edited by cainetao11 (16842 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon said:

And look at where they are now. Paying for PS+ and loving it lol. But this isn't even about a specific platform, it seems like remakes in general are taboo to gamers all of a sudden. And it's not like these companies aren't building new games. Throwing more people in a project doesn't make it get done faster.

? Throwing people? No. Focusing qualified people and money on them is always better. Its just a cash in. Now last gen it had kind of a reason. We went from SD to HD. So upping GoW 1&2 to HD among others was accepted. But this going from 720 -1080, while some claim its a massive difference isnt any where near it imo. And then what about next gen? Will it be continued to see this gens games at 4k? You are right, if you want to buy them do it. But that same freedom is in my country's first amendment. Its called freedom of speech and that means people can voice their gripes about it as well.

#18 Posted by Micropixel (863 posts) -

Remakes tend to sell. Whether it's to those who've never played the game originally or those who just want all the new bells and whistles, people will buy them up if it's the right game and the developers put forth the effort.

Yeah, price is something we all talk about when it comes to a remake, but I think the amount of money invested in the work has a lot to do with that.

#19 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Remakes are a way of accusing one console's company of losing ways to make money on games so that's one reason people hate on it. Also it is another way to milk a franchise which SW capitalizes on in pretty much every topic ever known.

I personally don't like remakes because it encourages game developers to work on a remake on a game that is already out instead of working on important things.... Like a new game, who would think they would release a new game its shocking I know. I think it is better just to do what psn does and put the game up for a good price instead of making people pay $40 for a freaking remake, like FFVII is so goddamn expensive if you want a physical copy but the digital version on psn is good because you're not fucking paying $180 so you can get a mint condition FFVII copy. Collectors are a pain in the ass.

I mean remakes aren't terrible and people don't have to buy them if they don't want to in the end. I don't think I've bought an HD collection since the Sly Cooper collection since you get all three games and I lost my other ones. It helps people with a need for them but for people who already have the games and the company is trying to give them an incentive to buy it because they have a swimsuit DLC for a sexy chick with the big bust in the game... Well you didn't have to buy it.

Off Topic: As for the last of us remastered, I'm better off spending my money on a moldy sandwich that is sitting out in the hot summer sun because I already have a copy of it on the PS3.

#20 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1358 posts) -

You're paying $50 for backwards compatibility, its sad. lol consoles.

#21 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

You're paying $50 for backwards compatibility, its sad. lol consoles.

Why do you assume that I'm paying for anything? And why $50? Are you talking about TLOU?

#22 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -

Just like remakes have been priced for.... oh about 30 years now.

A few people are super bitchy about them at the moment because they are desperate to bitch. Once they have something new to find fault with they'll forget about this like they did for the previous several decades.

Yup. It's bad when Sony does it. It's an excellent deal coming from MS.

Derp.

What a joke.

#23 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon said:

? Throwing people? No. Focusing qualified people and money on them is always better. Its just a cash in. Now last gen it had kind of a reason. We went from SD to HD. So upping GoW 1&2 to HD among others was accepted. But this going from 720 -1080, while some claim its a massive difference isnt any where near it imo. And then what about next gen? Will it be continued to see this gens games at 4k? You are right, if you want to buy them do it. But that same freedom is in my country's first amendment. Its called freedom of speech and that means people can voice their gripes about it as well.

Oh don't give me that first amendment stuff I'm not saying you can't discuss it. I'm saying it's kind of stupid that people are upset at something when they're not being forced to buy it. Which I believe is my right under the same amendment :)

Anyway, there are only so many developers, you can't have good developers everywhere, but you can give least experienced developers a shot by letting them work on something smaller that won't risk the integrity of the company. But I see your point about the reason for remakes last gen vs this gen. I think there's a good reason for it this time other than just graphics bumps. Both Sony and MS fell behind the Wii and they want to reclaim a lot of that market share for themselves. These remakes are excellent opportunities for people who jumped ship to another console or are planning to.

#24 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4244 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I doubt that was the reason why PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility. More likely, it has to do with being a completely different architecture which in no way resembles its predecessor technically. It's not like the Wii to the Wii U. The only thing the PS3 has in common with the PS4 is that its name starts with "PS" and that they're both consoles made by Sony.

I miss backwards compatibility in consoles as much as anyone, but these re-releases are ports. Ports have existed since the dawn of time. I really don't see the problem with porting an exclusive game to another system that's incapable of playing it...

I will say that now that the two "power" consoles are on x86 architecture - instead of exotic processors like the Cell - there's truly no excuse for their successors to not be BC.

#25 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I doubt that was the reason why PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility. More likely, it has to do with being a completely different architecture which in no way resembles its predecessor technically. It's not like the Wii to the Wii U. The only thing the PS3 has in common with the PS4 is that its name starts with "PS" and that they're both consoles made by Sony.

I miss backwards compatibility in consoles as much as anyone, but these re-releases are ports. Ports have existed since the dawn of time. I really don't see the problem with porting an exclusive game to another system that's incapable of playing it...But now that the two "power" consoles are on x86 architecture - instead of exotic processors like the Cell - there's truly no excuse for their successors to not be BC.

Unless they, for some idiotic reason, go back to exotic processors.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

@santoron said:

Derp.

What a joke.

Just the MC Collection. It's FOUR games, all remastered with new content being released in a spiffy new package. TLoU is just an up-resed cash in. MC Collection is how old games should be made new again, in the absence of BC.

#27 Edited by Gue1 (9492 posts) -

cows once told me when sony removed BC: we don't care about bc, no one buys new consoles to play old games anyway.

but now that the PS4 only does shitty remakes like TLOU's all of a sudden remakes are a godsend.

lol

#28 Posted by Zero_epyon (5081 posts) -

@santoron said:

Derp.

What a joke.

Just the MC Collection. It's FOUR games, all remastered with new content being released in a spiffy new package. TLoU is just an up-resed cash in. MC Collection is how old games should be made new again, in the absence of BC.

You see why does it have to be made new again? Using your argument, "'d rather go out and buy the last-gen version of the game, put it in my next-gen console, and have it run with all the fun upscaling." you should be mad at MS for doing this too. So please, don't turn this into a MS vs Sony thing, because they're both doing it, doesn't matter which you think is a better deal.

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

You see why does it have to be made new again? Using your argument, "'d rather go out and buy the last-gen version of the game, put it in my next-gen console, and have it run with all the fun upscaling." you should be mad at MS for doing this too. So please, don't turn this into a MS vs Sony thing, because they're both doing it, doesn't matter which you think is a better deal.

If all the game has to offer is an increased resolution, then yes, I'd rather buy the older, cheaper version. The MC Collection is getting upgrades across the board and new content. It's re-release versus remake. God of War Collection versus Bionic Commando.

#30 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24867 posts) -

Remakes are a part of Video Game History.

This is nothing new.

• The NES is filled with them. (Arcade Ports)
  • SNES got Remakes of Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario.
  • Sega got Megaman 1-3 on the Genesis
  • Playstation got Final Fantasy 1-6 as well as Chrono Trigger
  • PS2, Gamecube and Xbox saw Collections of Sonic, Megaman, and more.

This is nothing new, but the general "Hate" is stemming from that those games came out YEARS apart from each other. No one is complaining about Halo 2 Remastered and Everyone pretty much loved Windwaker HD, and those games are about a Decade Old each. What the "Hate" is stemming off from is the fact games like The Last of Us, Journey, or even Tomb Raider are less than a Year old. (about 2 for Journey). Deus Ex Director's Cut actually got some flame because it was a re-release of a game that came out in 2011 and it was going to be at full price on the WiiU and it was about $40 on everything else. A little too much for a miniscule update.

A lot of Time and Money could have been saved if a Company like Sony and Microsoft just made their system's Backwards Compatible. Since these games are still widely available on the Previous Generation of Consoles. The Last of Us can be bought at around $30 for PS3 rather than the $50 for PS4. Halo 4 can be bought for nearly $17 for Xbox 360. PS3 and Xbox 360 had Digital Stores that even had Retail games, Why didn't Sony and Microsoft make it so Xbox One and PS4 READ those Files when consumers linked their Accounts so they would have some games to play on the System, No Discs Required if you had bought the game on the PSN or Xbox Live Marketplaces it is YOURS and YOURS to own. Nintendo did this with the WiiU. Although how it's done is archaic it still gets the job done.

Or better yet the Vita, that system that gets so little Attention ACTUALLY does THIS VERY THING. The Playstation Vita can pretty much play all games that the PSP could (safe for a couple of PS titles). It doesn't play the Discs, but if you bought a game through the PSN Store on the PSP, for the PSP, when you linked up your PSN account to your Vita it actually read that PSP title and you could download it to that PS Vita.

WHY DIDN'T SONY DO THAT FOR THE PS4? Or WHY DIDN'T MICROSOFT DO THAT FOR THE XBOX ONE?

It sounds so simple yet they opt out of that and now we're getting 1 year Remasters of games like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us. And people will buy them. I guess that answers that.

#31 Edited by cainetao11 (16842 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon said:

Oh don't give me that first amendment stuff I'm not saying you can't discuss it. I'm saying it's kind of stupid that people are upset at something when they're not being forced to buy it. Which I believe is my right under the same amendment :)

Anyway, there are only so many developers, you can't have good developers everywhere, but you can give least experienced developers a shot by letting them work on something smaller that won't risk the integrity of the company. But I see your point about the reason for remakes last gen vs this gen. I think there's a good reason for it this time other than just graphics bumps. Both Sony and MS fell behind the Wii and they want to reclaim a lot of that market share for themselves. These remakes are excellent opportunities for people who jumped ship to another console or are planning to.

It sure is your right. Do you see how this thread is pointless? We can just keep using our freedom to express our opinions. People hate remasters? They dont need to buy them. You think its stupid to hate on it? Dont read the posts.

#32 Edited by Gue1 (9492 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is nothing new.

Ninja Gaiden's remake on Snes had updated art-style and they were 3 games and Super Mario All-Stars was an even better package with more games and levels that were never localized. Chrono Trigger on PS1, Shenmue on Xbox, Sonic on GameCube were a port, which is completely justifiable because those games were never on those consoles.

Now going back to current gen, MS seems to be doing more than a fine job with the MC collection but TLOU Remaster and Tomb Raider are both nothing but a cash grab. Plain and simple. 2 games that offer next to no improvements at full price each.

#33 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24867 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is nothing new.

Ninja Gaiden's remake on Snes had updated art-style and they were 3 games and Super Mario All-Stars was an even better package with more games and levels that were never localized. Chrono Trigger on PS1, Shenmue on Xbox, Sonic on GameCube were a port, which is completely justifiable because those games were never on those consoles.

Now going back to current gen, MS seems to be doing more than a fine job with the MC collection but TLOU Remaster and Tomb Raider are both nothing but a cash grab. Plain and simple. 2 games that offer next to no improvements at full price each.

you should probably continue reading my post, bub.

#34 Posted by Nanomage (2398 posts) -

These "remakes/remasters" made sense when it´s a game that came out at least two generations before and feels like it could really benefit from a modernized version,this new wave of console remakes of games that in some cases aren´t even a year old exist simply to resell you the exact same game you just played not long ago on your new console because of a very obvious reason,wich is no backwards compatibility.

That´s why backwards compat isn´t a thing anymore on consoles,because now these companies can make the idiots pay for the same game again. And again. And again.

#35 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29100 posts) -

Yeah I don't get why people get so upset over remakes. They're great especially if you haven't played the game before. People seem to forget that not everyone has played every game that gets remade...

#36 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Has there been any remakes of remakes released this year yet?

#37 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

You're cherry picking to help your point and still not doing a very good job.

From the time newer game hardware started appearing, games from older consoles have been brought over. Some with nothing more than minor graphical improvements, and some completely identical to the previous version. Wanna guess how many times we've had an Asteroids re-release? Pac-Man? And each has had multiple full price rerelases on new hardware before they ever became cheaper, or bundled into collections.

It's been an industry standard for decades... FAR more common in gaming history than consoles with BC. TR, TLoU, and whatever else you decide offends you are an attempt to reach out to new players for these franchises on new hardware. You see, not everyone who has a PS4 had a PS3, or an HD console at all last gen. The idea that they're somehow coercing existing owners into buying again has more to say about your own willpower than their marketing strategies...

And BTW, TLoU PS4 is selling for $50, correct? And includes a $60 game, and $15 dollar DLC (without even mentioning whatever performance boosts). So now 1/3 off is full price? Where are you with every GoTY collection, that adds no performance boosts at all and comes out on a platform where everything is already available?

#38 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

Derp.

What a joke.

Soooooo many ppl have played at least Halo 1 and 2. Both those games are old as dirt. And for a long while the 360 was killing it....and you don't get a MS console and not play a Halo game.....so it's safe to say lots of ppl played that game.....now...how is it no t a money grab?

Lots of ppl jumped ship from the 360 to the PS4 and have never played TLoU....this remake is for them. It's for Sony to go "Hey look....this is the quality exclusives you're going to get on our console....enjoy!"

It's not the same kind of cash grab. Sure....they're doing it b/c they know a lot of ppl jumped ship and will buy it to see what all the fuss is about.....but it's not like the Tomb Baiter remake....who the fuck wanted that remade.

#39 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24867 posts) -
#40 Posted by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

Consoles still are like that, the ones actually worth buying, anyway.

#41 Posted by silversix_ (14052 posts) -

A full remaster is okay in my book but a full HD port of 1y old games is a ripoff

#42 Posted by nutcrackr (12459 posts) -

Remakes are a quick cash grab, so the question you have to ask yourself is why. The answer is because new gen development costs more and there are too many risks with introducing a new IP. So the people at the top of the studio are signing off on remakes because it's a low risk / high reward option. Time till tell if consumers continue to eat them up or grow tired of remakes.

#43 Edited by Devil-Itachi (4370 posts) -

They aren't remakes. Remake denotes remade assets these are remasters which are essentially glorified ports. In prior generations they wouldn't bother with these because backwards compatibility would make them some what redundant.

#44 Posted by commonfate (12252 posts) -

It's almost like people don't think gaming is a buyer's market lol.

Don't support the shitty remakes. Buy stuff like Wind Waker HD and Halo MC.

#45 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

I don't get why people are mad either. Does it suck that console backwards compatibility is basically gone? Yeah, but honestly who thought it would last forever. Console manufacturers can't/don't want to keep making consoles that support every one of their old systems, so eventually they're gonna cut the line somewhere.

Like everyone else has said, they're a good value for people who want the upgraded version, and great for people who have never played the games in the first place (especially when some older games are selling for insanely high prices now). Anyone who doesn't like it, just doesn't have to buy it. And to all the people complaining that they'd like them to focus on other projects, I'd be willing to bet that the sales from the remakes are reinvested in trying that risky new IP we've all been craving. So if we have to wade through some upscaled remakes in order to get an unique game, I'm fine with that. There's other shit to play in the meantime if you're not interested.

#46 Posted by Roler42 (588 posts) -

So it's asinine that someone who bought a new console expecting new IPs has essentially wasted money in a console with no games for him, because it has nothing but re-makes of games he already play and doesn't plan to playing again, or could just boot up his ps3 to play them

I'm all for re-makes, but quite frankly, the PS4 is offering the worst value right now for anyone who's looking for something legitimately new

#47 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

In reading this thread, it appears very few people on the Gamespot forums actually understand anything about the process of developing video games.

#48 Posted by edwardecl (2102 posts) -

Errr no. The reason they don't put backwards compatibility in the new consoles is because it would be expensive. You can't emulate PS3 games on a PS4 it's impossible, the PS3's CPU is not that much different speed wise than the PS4 and not only that it's a different architecture, you would probably need 10x the CPU power to emulate just the CPU and even then it would be shit. The only way you are going to get backwards compatibility it to bundle a PS3 in the box.

The remakes are a cash in of course, if there were no buyers then they would not make it, same could be said form the original releases, they don't do this stuff for free.

#49 Edited by gameofthering (10126 posts) -

We need more remakes!

More Remakes!

Less ports!

#50 Posted by sSubZerOo (43064 posts) -

Remakes are fine if it involves a game that was released 7 years ago.. Not literally last year or the year before.. That is not a remake that is a port of a relatively new game.. Let's not forget these so called "remakes" are going to have little improvement over their predecessor.. All this could have been avoided if these consoles were backwards compatible, LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE been to begin with.. But we all are seeing why neither console dev wants that now, because they can get you suckers to rebuy games with minimal improvement to them at full retail again.