"Ken Kutaragi Isn't Really a Team Player"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157711

Ken Kutaragi is, if nothing else, passionate about his creations. He's credited as the father of the original PlayStation and has been a guiding hand for its successors. In November, however, Sony did some upper-management shifting and Kutarai found himself pulled away from his role as president of Sony Computer Entertainment. While still Group CEO and Chariman, Kutaragi's switch certainly suggests someone wanted a shake up.

And a Wall Street Journal (subscription required) article about the struggles of current Sony CEO Howard Stringer provides some insight into why. Kotaku picked up on the story from analysis blog Information Arbitrage, and the exerts show Kutaragi didn't exactly get along with everyone at Sony, remaining a one-man-renegade, even though he's been leading the division for some time now.

"Mr. Kutaragi was notorious within the company for his reluctance to communicate with his bosses or other units. In 2005, Mr. Kutaragi hosted an event at a big electronics conference in Las Vegas to celebrate the U.S. launch of the PlayStation Portable handheld game machine -- one of the company's biggest products that year. He didn't invite executives from Sony's electronics division, which provided the parts."

Considering Kutarai sort of, uh, needs these people in order to produce his babies, that probably burned a bit. Oh, well, he must have kissed and made up before approaching the ambitious PlayStation 3 technology, right? Nope.

"In September, Mr. Kutaragi announced Sony was halving shipments of the new PlayStation to the U.S. and Japan and was pushing back its European launch. At a news conference, Mr. Kutaragi blamed Sony's electronics group for failing to produce enough of a critical component, exposing his tense relationship with the division."

Good move -- next step? Blast them publicly to the press! "If we're asked whether Sony's quality of manufacturing has declined, I would have to say 'yes,'" Kutaragi oh-so-kindly said of the folks responsible for turning his experiments into products. 
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts
Wow, I knew he was incompetent like Steve Carell in the Office.  But an a-hole?  Meh, I guess its not that big of a surprise.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Felous1
I guess its not that big of a surprise.Shirley_Temple
I was thinking the same thing.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Well duh, we all knew that. His visions of creating technical greatness get in the way of feasibility...

That SNES sound chip really inflated his ego. Now, it's not a problem for me, every piece of Playstation hardware has been far superior to the previous version...
diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts
He is the visionary (a dreamer to some and krazy to many , lol).Now it is up to the manufacturing elite at Sony to reduce costs and really push towards software and services to make it happen.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
"Hey look guys. Too much good news about Sony. Let's find something attacking one of the people that work there!" "Good idea" "Do it. Do it. Do it"
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Truewiseblade
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

"Hey look guys. Too much good news about Sony. Let's find something attacking one of the people that work there!" "Good idea" "Do it. Do it. Do it"KeyWii

Yeah, I'm sure that exactly what the people at WSJ were thinking when they wrote the article. :roll:

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Felous1
Yeah, I'm sure that exactly what the people at WSJ were thinking when they wrote the article. :roll:Truewiseblade
It's not a good idea to pay any attention to what that troll says.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KeyWii

[QUOTE="KeyWii"]"Hey look guys. Too much good news about Sony. Let's find something attacking one of the people that work there!" "Good idea" "Do it. Do it. Do it"Truewiseblade

Yeah, I'm sure that exactly what the people at WSJ were thinking when they wrote the article. :roll:

Wall Street Journal is a conservative publication. It probably would rather see Sony fail because it's foreign company. Protectionism for the lose.
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
He is truly, truly out of his mind.
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]"Hey look guys. Too much good news about Sony. Let's find something attacking one of the people that work there!" "Good idea" "Do it. Do it. Do it"

You're right, the rave reviews of Motorstorm, VF5's massive amount of sales, and all the exclusive's that have been announced for the PS3 are just too much to bear. Oh wait...
lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
Wow, I knew he was incompetent like Steve Carell in the Office. But an a-hole? Meh, I guess its not that big of a surprise.Shirley_Temple
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
In case you guys forgot he was already replaced as SCE main CEO.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Suyomizzle_"][QUOTE="KeyWii"]"Hey look guys. Too much good news about Sony. Let's find something attacking one of the people that work there!" "Good idea" "Do it. Do it. Do it"

You're right, the rave reviews of Motorstorm, VF5's massive amount of sales, and all the exclusive's that have been announced for the PS3 are just too much to bear. Oh wait...

Sony patched up with Immersion. Sony's internal development is larger than Mircosoft's and Nintendo's combined. PS3 has outpaced X360 sales. PS3 is about to launch in Europe and Australia. Sony has the best March out of all 3 in terms of software. Killzone trailer coming. PlayStation Home coming. Tell me, what bad news have you heard recently?
Jack-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jack-Thompson
Member since 2006 • 1028 Posts
Wall Street Journal is biased!!!
her0_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 her0_54
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
I wish people would give Kutaragi a break, he is a hard working man, and doesn't deserve the hate. He brought us Playstation for crying out loud!
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
Sony needs a total upper management shake up.  Kutaragi should be the first one to go.
Avatar image for Mikazukinoyaiba
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mikazukinoyaiba
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts
It is because "Kutaragi" brought the first PS that so many people cling to him. But the guy's eyes are bigger then his stomach you could say. There is a difference between being a dreamer and being a raving lunatic. Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima and others THEY are dreamers and creative masterminds. They have ideas and search for ways to make them reality... but Kutaragi being a president back then and now CEO (the backseat) tried to force his reality. The dreamers should never become the "doers".