Question for PC gamers; KeyB + M or Controller : If you had to choose..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Question for PC gamers; KeyB + M or Controller : If you had to choose.. (63 votes)

Keyboard + Mouse 78%
Controller 22%

When it comes to PC games that support both controller and Keyb+M. If you had to choose only one, i.e. you won't be able to ever use the other in those games, What would you choose?

P.S. For controller, you get to have only your favorite one (e.g. either say X360 or fight stick, you cannot have both)

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Most of the games I play are well suited for a controller, so that.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

It really depends on the game but most PC games are designed around a KB + Mouse.

It's only those games designed for console that are action style games (Batman, GTA etc.) that a controller is preferred.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Why would I have to choose only one? Half the point of PC gaming is that these kinds of things aren't limited factors. Some games work better with controller and some with KB/M.

For the sake of the thread though I would choose Kb/M because the precision of a mouse is too valuable. Plus you have far more control inputs with gaming mice, and in most strategy, shooter, RPG, and MMO games, it helps to have a plethora of hotkeys.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#4 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I use the controller most of the time so I would say controller, but in the real world a PC gamer doesn't have to worry about choices, we can do whatever we want, I could use a Wii-mote if I wished it.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

If the game equally is good on both, I use either. However, games like Mark of the Ninja and Rogue Legacy feels like the controller is far more superior compared to the former.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I have a Ducky Legend mechanical keyboard and a FUNC MS-2 mouse so im going with that by default.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

This ques again? Yeah have to go with Kb+M cause my stupid cousins come to my home and break my controller everytime. :(

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Good thing I never "had to choose".

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I use Mouse and Keyboard by default, I do occasionally switch to controller but that tends to be when I'm couch gaming

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

@whitey_rolls said:

It really depends on the game but most PC games are designed around a KB + Mouse.

It's only those games designed for console that are action style games (Batman, GTA etc.) that a controller is preferred.

The question applies only on games that support both. I.e. you could still use Key+M for games that don't support both control schemes.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

You can play racers or flight sims with a keyboard but its not fun to do so.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I use a controller for Third-person shooter games like Tomb Raider, etc. I also tend to use a controller when I want to lay down while playing Rpg's like Skyrim. But most of the time when I'm sitting down, I'm using K&M.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mystery_Writer

@clyde46 said:

Thankfully, in reality, PC gamers don't have to do so.

However, the question is to see which one is better for games that support both Keyb+ M and Controller at the same time. What most PC gamers prefer when it comes to those type of games.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

@clyde46 said:

However, the question is to see which one is better for games that support both Keyb+ M and Controller at the same time. What most PC gamers prefer when it comes to those type of games.

I still think its a silly question. It really depends on the game you want to play. Some games handle well with both KB/M and a controller while others suck with KB/M because they were designed to be used with a controller.

UT3 on PC supports the 360 pad, you wouldn't want to use it though. GTA4 supports both and both work really well.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Both, but generally i use controller more with third person hack and slash type games, kb&m with anything with shooting and with games like GTA/Saints Row etc. i use both, controller for when driving around and kb&m when on foot.

Racing games/fighters etc. i use a controller with also.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mystery_Writer

@clyde46 said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

@clyde46 said:

I still think its a silly question. It really depends on the game you want to play. Some games handle well with both KB/M and a controller while others suck with KB/M because they were designed to be used with a controller.

UT3 on PC supports the 360 pad, you wouldn't want to use it though. GTA4 supports both and both work really well.

I disagree in regards to the legitimacy of the question. I think it's lack of comprehension from your end.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

KB and mouse easily. Controllers work better mostly for ports from consoles and even there not always. And while I like to play a good port from time to time, most of my game time is spent playing titles are either exclusive to PC or at least were designed primary with PC in mind and those tend to play like garbage on a pad (if they even support pads at all, most of those games lack such option)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Too many games work better on a controller. And without consoles the controller would not have evolved as it has, if at all. I remember how nasty those old gravis and sidewinder pads were.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

controllers are way more versatile. i couldn't imagine playing a platformer, fighting, racing or a flying game with a kb/m. kb/m is especially good for shooters and strategy games but thats about it.

anderswhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By anderswhk
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

Games that involve any kind of third person camera movement is superior with a mouse and keyboard. I cannot stand the tanky turret controls an analog stick limits you to. And yes you are limited as to how much you can turn these analog knobs before they become turrets. A mouse is natural, as in you can look in a direction just like how one would move his head. Hand/eye coordination. Not thumb/eye coordination. All these modern "over the shoulder" third person shooters like Gears, Uncharted, Last of Us etc would also play a lot less clunky with a mouse and keyboard. Also, games like Assassins Creed plays a lot better on PC in my opinion. Dying Light is a good example of a game being balanced towards the less than optimal console controls. The game is very easy on PC, mostly because of just how much more agile you feel when doing parkour with a mouse and keyboard, and how fast you can change direction and perform stunts. Volatiles are a joke because of it, they just can't catch you, ever.

Racing games, a wheel is preferred but out of the two, i'd probably say controller.

Fighting games, arcade stick, but again out of the 2, controller.

Sports games, controller.

Rest like FPS, RTS etc should be be pretty self explanatory.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

KB+M. Even with games where KB+M is an afterthought I will try my hardest to get into it with Keyboard and mouse and in most cases it works out well. The only exceptions being flight sims that I use a Joystick with and genres like beat-em-ups and racing games that I seldom play. If its a 3D game ill try playing it with a M+KB and if it doesnt work out ill just stop playing it. I just cant enjoy 3rd person and 1st person games with a controller.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

Probably controller. But that's only because I have a script that allows me to play FPS games using a WiiMote, that's as good as using a mouse. And I don't play many other genre's that require a M+KB

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

It depends on the genre. I mostly use keyboard and mouse.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Mouse and Keyboard by far. I feel more comfortable when using them instead of controller.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

M & KB are vastly superior in most of the games I play. So that.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

Obviously PC gaming is about choice and I use the xbox 360 controller and PS4 controller but if I had to choose?

My Razer Naga and Corsair k70 mechanical keyboard

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Mouse Keyboard is capable of far more than a Controller... that poll only has 25% Controller becaues of console peasants trying to make themselves feel better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have different methods for different genres.

Keyboard and mouse: FPS, strategy, TPS. Examples: FC4, C&C games, Civ V, Watch Dogs.

Joystick/throttle/rudder: flight sims. Examples: FSX, X-Plane 9, DCS: Black Shark, IL-2: Cliffs of Dover.

Driving wheel with pedals: racing games. Examples: none at the moment for the PC.

Controller: sports games, platformers. Examples: none at the moment for the PC.

Edit: Once in a while, a game comes by which works best with a controller. The one example I have for the PC is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. That was back in 2010. My 360 controller for the PC has been gathering dust since then.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Since a lot of FPSs now have controller support now (Battlefield in particular comes to mind), I'd have to choose M+K. Those types of games are simply unplayable with controllers IMO, not to mention uncompetitive in multiplayer. With the possible exception of certain vehicles.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

@whitey_rolls: You pretty much summed up my feelings on this poll. It all depends on the game. I just couldn't see myself playing a RTS with controller and playing action-adventure-plaform with K+M is painful.

I am still in Team K+M for FPS though. I can't shake it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

For the vast majority of games I play, I just prefer KB/M.

There are a few games, such as platformers where I prefer controllers however.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

it depends on the game

but most of the ones i play i use kb+M

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#33 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

This ques again? Yeah have to go with Kb+M cause my stupid cousins come to my home and break my controller everytime. :(

We all have THAT cousin.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Mouse and Keyboard by far. I feel more comfortable when using them instead of controller.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Depends on the game, though I personally find that Witcher 2 handles better with a controller :x

Although most games tend to have the best version on PC, that doesn't necessarily mean that the keyboard and mouse is the most optimal way to play the game

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#36  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts
@flashn00b said:

Depends on the game, though I personally find that Witcher 2 handles better with a controller :x

Although most games tend to have the best version on PC, that doesn't necessarily mean that the keyboard and mouse is the most optimal way to play the game

I'm still on the fence as to what I prefer using in TW2. Anything with aiming has gotta be KB/M. It wasn't something I really honed in on until I started playing games on hardcore difficulty. There are exceptions, but on PC you have a choice.

I know GTA IV, Tomb Raider, and Mass Effect all play better on KB/M contrary to what I used to think. Lego, Shank, and Burnout are better on controller at this point.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Hmm I think I would probably pick kb/m all things considered. All shooters are way more fun with kb/m. Stuff like the Arkham games I think I could learn to play with kb/m if I had no choice. I guess the main problem would be games like DMC and some platformers, which I'd probably have to skip. I'm happy I don't have to make a definitive choice.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

kb+m.

I rarely use a controller unless it's for emulators.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I game with a controller 99% of the time. x1/360

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

kb/m...some of my games have so many commands I'm using all the keys plus most of the SHIFT+, ALT+ and CTRL+ combos.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I use kb+m for nearly everything but Street Fighter and Project M netplay.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

If I play Titanfall, it's the controller all the way. I can't aim worth a crap with a mouse in Titanfall. I do much better with controller, and no, it's not because of the auto aim. I usually have to yank control from the auto aim in split second situations when I have to swing around to aim. Wish there was an option to disable it. That game was made for the controller.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@psx_warrior said:

If I play Titanfall, it's the controller all the way. I can't aim worth a crap with a mouse in Titanfall. I do much better with controller, and no, it's not because of the auto aim. I usually have to yank control from the auto aim in split second situations when I have to swing around to aim. Wish there was an option to disable it. That game was made for the controller.

I find Titanfall to be nearly unplayable on pad. All the verticality means playing it on a pad is a pure nightmare. It's not as hardcore in it as Tribes, but it still moves to fast and people are going to vertical to make playing it on a pad a good experience.