Question about Steam OS/Steam Box and System Wars

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So...on these boards aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall PCs are considered one. Apple/Linux/Windows....all one.

I think it's wrong...thats like counting different OS/platforms of MS/xbox and Sony/PS4 the same...but then again....99% of games are on Windows so it's pointless.

BUT...when the Steam OS/Steam Box come out...will we count it as it's own entity?

Some don't like Steam....some don't like Origin...and there are the vise versas for those....some aren't active on Steam and like GOG or GMG or Amazon for their cheap games.

Just wondering if it will change as it essentially....Steam OS/Steam Box will be exactly like a console since if you take Sony:

- has their own OS for the PS4

- has their own exclusives

- has their own designed hardware specifically for their system

- has their own designed controller

Anyway...just wondering.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

I see it as a new platform.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

Steam OS can be installed on regular PCs, and Windows/other Linux distros can be installed on Steam boxes, so there's no point of considering it a different platform.

PS4 doesn't work that way, because you can't install the "PS4's own OS" on another device and play its games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Yup, I'm sure your "Just wondering" ... not like the very first reply to you is one of your buddys that has championed this crap from the start.

I'l say it again, let me know when I can boot X1 and Wii U OS's on my PS4... then we will talk.

Meanwhile.... my linux and hackingtosh are quite comfortable... and lol at their "exclusive games" ... lovely grasping.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

But Steam OS is installed on PC hardware. Windows, Linux, Mac OSX are all OS's that are installed on PC hardware. Steam OS is just a limited version of Linux. I can play more games on my PC with windows, but if I wanted I could install steam os on my PC instead of buying a steam box. They are basically the same platform, the difference is that it looks like everything on Steam OS will be compatible with a controller. I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Dragon Age Origins or II, ME 1-3, Bioshock 2 and several others on Steam OS as they don't support game pads. Overall though, Windows is still the main PC OS for gaming whether some like it or not.

Steam OS runs on a PC, so it's still considered a PC. The PS4 OS only runs on a PS4. X1's OS only runs on a X1 and the Wii-U OS only runs on Wii-U.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

All things point to it being a PC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

How to be a sony alt-troll

Step 1) Pick a topic you know has been debated to death in vane, one that gathers lots of criticism.

Step 2) Make yet another post about it with a slightly different spin (BTW - Steam Boxes can install any OS on them... you know... because they are PCs....)

Step 3) Await mods to lock it for being obvious bait, then scream "CONSPIRACY"

You can't post whiny crap in another topic then do this in retaliation, its far too obvious, if you are locked, you know damn why already.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Huggles_dog

@MBirdy88 said:

Step 1) Pick a topic you know has been debated to death in vane, one that gathers lots of criticism.

Step 2) Make yet another post about it with a slightly different spin (BTW - Steam Boxes can install any OS on them... you know... because they are PCs....)

You can't post whiny crap in another topic then do this in retaliation, its far too obvious, if you are locked, you know damn why already.

can you not come up with an original reply?

This is literally exactly what I did to yo........oh....I see....you're mad at me for calling you out....so now your reaching to do the same....ok.

This was an honest to god query. This is the future we are talking about with new tech...well so to speak...so it fits the bill of "what will happen and how will it affect here". It should be quite fine to ask and discuss this.

YOU are the one making this into a petty childish argument. The other replies are exactly what I wanted....just part of the discussion.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Considering the steam box isn't a single entity and you can upgrade it constantly... Its a PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@MBirdy88 said:

This is literally exactly what I did to yo........oh....I see....you're mad at me for calling you out....so now your reaching to do the same....ok.

This was an honest to god query. This is the future we are talking about with new tech...well so to speak...so it fits the bill of "what will happen and how will it affect here". It should be quite fine to ask and discuss this.

YOU are the one making this into a petty childish argument. The other replies are exactly what I wanted....just part of the discussion.

Again, sure thing mate... not like your completely obvious to the core. and you called me out? you really do live in your own little world. oh and I did answer the question. I can run steam OS on my PC. and I't can run windows/other linux and mac os x.

You know Steam OS is just a modified linux ... you know... like all the other versions of linux right? but anyway, obvious bait thread is obvious. I'm out...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@MBirdy88 said:

if this was an honest to god query, you should really do some more research next time

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just wondering if it will change as it essentially....Steam OS/Steam Box will be exactly like a console since if you take Sony:

- has their own OS for the PS4 (Except Steam OS can be installed on any PC and the beta version is currently available to PC users)

- has their own exclusives (As far as I know there haven't been any announced Steam machine exclusives)

- has their own designed hardware specifically for their system (All steam machines that have been shown, including beta units, have been regular PC parts in a compact format. Even the Steam OS beta sight lists Steam OS hardware requirements which are straight PC parts--AMD/Intel processor, Nvidia/AMD/intel GPU

- has their own designed controller (which doesn't require Steam Machine to use)

Anyway...just wondering.

A few problems noted

So as you can see it is really nothing like sony/PS4

And you could have found all this info relatively quickly by visiting the Steam Machine and SteamOS websites

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cranler

@starjet905 said:

Steam OS can be installed on regular PCs, and Windows/other Linux distros can be installed on Steam boxes, so there's no point of considering it a different platform.

PS4 doesn't work that way, because you can't install the "PS4's own OS" on another device and play its games.

Android can be installed on an Iphone but that doesn't mean Android isn't it's own platform.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib: There are no problems with my post.

You're talking semantics and I'm just wondering. I'm not doing research for something that I have no control over how it will affect the very thing I am asking the question about.

I don't control System Wars. I can't research how something will affect something in future. At best it would be a guess.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

Android can be installed on an Iphone but that doesn't mean Android isn't it's own platform.

Dude, don't start this crap again.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BldgIrsh
@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

So... will you be on newxerxes next week or 1fragleft?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib: There are no problems with my post.

You're talking semantics and I'm just wondering. I'm not doing research for something that I have no control over how it will affect the very thing I am asking the question about.

I don't control System Wars. I can't research how something will affect something in future. At best it would be a guess.

...what the **** are you trying to say?

There are problems with your post because you don't seem to understand the Steam Machine nor the SteamOS. Which I pointed out how your comparison to sony is completely flawed.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

Just for FYI lostrib:

Don't be the white knight....please don't start that bullshit like you like to act. You don't care about troll threads against console...you shouldn't care what I do with my threads.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just for FYI lostrib:

Don't be the white knight....please don't start that bullshit like you like to act. You don't care about troll threads against console...you shouldn't care what I do with mine threads.

FYI that's false

But let's be honest, there's nothing you can do about it, and as long as I am following the TOU I will post as I please

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just for FYI lostrib:

Don't be the white knight....please don't start that bullshit like you like to act. You don't care about troll threads against console...you shouldn't care what I do with mine threads.

FYI that's false

But let's be honest, there's nothing you can do about it, and as long as I am following the TOU I will post as I please

No...it's not....but let's be honest....I don't care.

All I'm doing is calling you out on it. I'm following the TOU so I will post as I please.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just for FYI lostrib:

FYI that's false

No...it's not....but let's be honest....I don't care.

All I'm doing is calling you out on it. I'm following the TOU so I will post as I please.

Wait, you "don't care" but then you feel the need to call me out for something that's false?

Good job

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

Look at what IGN said in an article about the steam machine:

What Valve's new platform could mean for the industry and why it may not matter.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/the-promise-and-potential-pitfalls-of-valves-steam-box

Cnet does not see things properly either:

Valve is jumping into gaming hardware with its new Steambox platform. First announced in 2013, the platform combines console-like hardware that runs Steam-based PC games

http://www.cnet.com/news/steambox-debuts-offers-a-new-path-to-living-room-pc-gaming/

I've sent both sites an email to correct them that the steam machine does not qualify as it's own platform according to sys wars and lost's criteria.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Steam Box is just a PC with Steam OS . You can install Windows on it as well AND you can install Steam OS on your current system . It will still be a PC platform with Windows/Mac/Linux/SteamOS .

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

I've sent both sites an email to correct them that the steam machine does not qualify as it's own platform according to sys wars and lost's criteria.

Prove it

And haven't you already been warned enough times about starting this "PC platform" bullshit

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cranler

@Cloud_imperium said:

Steam Box is just a PC with Steam OS . You can install Windows on it as well AND you can install Steam OS on your current system . It will still be a PC platform with Windows/Mac/Linux/SteamOS .

You are so right. You win the post of the day award. Bravo!

You should forward this post to valve, Microsoft and Apple because they unwittingly believe that os's are platforms.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BldgIrsh

@Cranler said:

Look at what IGN said in an article about the steam machine:

What Valve's new platform could mean for the industry and why it may not matter.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/the-promise-and-potential-pitfalls-of-valves-steam-box

Cnet does not see things properly either:

Valve is jumping into gaming hardware with its new Steambox platform. First announced in 2013, the platform combines console-like hardware that runs Steam-based PC games

http://www.cnet.com/news/steambox-debuts-offers-a-new-path-to-living-room-pc-gaming/

Guess what. Here in SW's we consider it as a singular platform aka the PC. Honestly, if you don't like the rules then go somewhere else.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

You should forward this post to valve, Microsoft and Apple because they unwittingly believe that os's are platforms.

It's irrelevant what they think. You know rather well that on SW PC is a single platform

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

It's irrelevant what they think. You know rather well that on SW PC is a single platform

Gotta flog that dead horse again,ya know, just to make sure it's really dead ;)

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@lostrib said:

Prove it

And haven't you already been warned enough times about starting this "PC platform" bullshit

You don't believe that i sent them emails?

Why are you mentioning warnings? i'm trying to help them see the light.

I never received a warning about platform debates.

I received no warning prior to my suspension.

This is the only message I've received from a mod since I got a strike for making fun of a users name two years ago

You have been issued numerous warnings regarding your posts and your trolling, which you have failed to acknowledge, and assimilate, insisting on continuing with the same trolling and incessant derailing of threads. This is a warning to cease indulging in such trolling immediately. Also, furthermore, since this is not the first time you have been notified of your behavior's unacceptability, you are being issued a seven day suspension, as well as a First Strike.

I've reached out to the mods and they never can find where I derailed threads. They realized someone else derailed it in most if not all cases.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@Cranler: exactly it says you'd been warned and that message is also a warning that you should cease these very activities.

And no, I don't believe you sent any emails

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

For SWs it will be a PC, what other sites say is irrelevant.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler: exactly it says you'd been warned and that message is also a warning that you should cease these very activities.

And no, I don't believe you sent any emails

Nope, last warning I received before that message I posted was in 2011 or 2012.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lostrib

@Cranler: no that's definitely what it says. Any who I do recall the mods warning you in threads to cease this platform talk. You should probably abide by the warnings, you wouldn't want another strike would you?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler: no that's definitely what it says. Any who I do recall the mods warning you in threads to cease this platform talk. You should probably abide by the warnings, you wouldn't want another strike would you?

Nope. Again that's the first message from a mod in years. It's not my responsibility to read every post in every thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lostrib

@Cranler: I would imagine if they warned you directly you would be tagged meaning you got a notification. But more importantly, I'd take the word of a mod over someone who recently got off suspension for trolling.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Don't care what they write on their website to NOT cause confusion for people like you . PC = Personal Computer . Windows,Mac,Linux and SteamOS = Operating Systems . End of story .

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

@Cloud_imperium: I thought this had been put to rest already. Jeez, some people just can't let go

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler: I would imagine if they warned you directly you would be tagged meaning you got a notification. But more importantly, I'd take the word of a mod over someone who recently got off suspension for trolling.

Never received any notification before that message. Why would I lie about that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Glad to see this thread was exactly what I thought it would be.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib

@Cranler: because you're a bitter troll

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cranler

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Don't care what they write on their website to NOT cause confusion for people like you . PC = Personal Computer . Windows,Mac,Linux and SteamOS = Operating Systems . End of story .

It doesn't cause confusion with me. I've sent them dozens of emails to get them to change the name from cross platform mp to cross os multiplayer. I cringe every time I see it on steam.

We already know what pc and os stands for, don't see your point there.

@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium: I thought this had been put to rest already. Jeez, some people just can't let go

You obviously can't let go of the subject.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib: It's not false. Which is why I don't have to care.

Just to avoid whatever might happen:

I don't care if others argue or whatever in this thread...but just to show that I never intended this thread to be a troll thread....a mod can come in and suggest what might happen and then just lock it.

There....are the whiners happy?

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By starjet905

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

Analogies aren't your strongest suit, are they?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cranler

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

Please explain how my analogy fails. Maybe your wisdom could help me in my future analogical endeavors.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 starjet905

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

Please explain how my analogy fails. Maybe your wisdom could help me in my future analogical endeavors.

Because an iPhone specifically designed to run only iOS and needs jailbreaking to install Android is exactly the same as a SteamBox that doesn't have such restrictions.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BldgIrsh

@mr_huggles_dog said:

So...on these boards aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall PCs are considered one. Apple/Linux/Windows....all one.

I think it's wrong...thats like counting different OS/platforms of MS/xbox and Sony/PS4 the same...but then again....99% of games are on Windows so it's pointless.

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I don't care if others argue or whatever in this thread...but just to show that I never intended this thread to be a troll thread....a mod can come in and suggest what might happen and then just lock it.

Are you? Somewhat redundant to ask a question directed to yourself.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cranler

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

Because an iPhone specifically designed to run only iOS and needs jailbreaking to install Android is exactly the same as a SteamBox that doesn't have such restrictions.

Platform is a platform whether open or closed.

Dual boot phones are coming soon. They will have windows 8.1 and android. Does this mean android is no longer a platform?

http://pocketnow.com/2014/03/03/dual-booting-wp8-1-android-phones

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 starjet905

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

Dual boot phones are coming soon. They will have windows 8.1 and android. Does this mean android is no longer a platform?

Android is a platform. However that dual boot phone is not. The same way, a Steambox is not. And SteamOS is just another Linux distro.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Are you? Somewhat redundant to ask a question directed to yourself.

Do what?

That doesn't even connect. Are you butthurt again?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cranler

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

@starjet905 said:

@Cranler said:

Android is a platform. However that dual boot phone is not. The same way, a Steambox is not. And SteamOS is just another Linux distro.

If android is a platform and the dual boot phone is not then that would mean windows is a platform and a dual boot pc is not. Nope, sorry, that's not how it works here, os's aren't platforms dude.