PSP vs DS - Turn Based Strategy Game-Wise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CAPSROGUE
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

Hey,

I've had a DS, played Zelda Phantom Hourglass and MP Hunters, and I've had a PSP on which I played Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and Darkstalkers Chaos Tower on. I've sold them both a long while ago, but I *found* out I like Turn Based Stragety games, alot actually. So I was thinking of getting one of the two again, but which one of course?

Basicly the way I see it, it's FF War of the Lions/Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness vs Advance Wars Series, so I was wondering which games are superior? Online/Offline/Gameplay/Depth, and it's basicly 2 vs 1, but I'm not sure 'cause I've heard alot of good things about Advance Wars.

So I'm looking for a bit of advise.

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mitazaki
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
ds has more than just the advance wars series, FFTA 2, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires, Age of Empires:Mythologies, Disgaea and more.
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
dont forget Civ:Revolution
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts

ds has more than just the advance wars series, FFTA 2, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires, Age of Empires:Mythologies, Disgaea and more.Mitazaki

Not even out yet.

As for the PSP, it has FF: WotL (possibly the best SRPG ever), Jeanne D'arc, Disgaea. I don't know what else it has, but these are the ones I know.

Edit: Even Fire emblem DS isin't out yet. Seriously, how many good SRPGs does the DS have? :?

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CAPSROGUE

I'm just looking for 2-3 games I can play for a longtime, of good quality. So don't mention crap games, just for the sake of quantity.

wizardwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wizardwd
Member since 2006 • 606 Posts
I just got Final Fantasy Tactics A2 on the DS and I've logged in about 25 hours during 4 days of work :P Also the Advance wars are a great series.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChrnoTrigger

I'm just looking for 2-3 games I can play for a longtime, of good quality. So don't mention crap games, just for the sake of quantity.

CAPSROGUE

FFT: WotL and Jeanne D'arc as well as Disgaea are all heavily underrated by GS (both got 8.0) but FFT has an 8.8 critic score and Jeanne D'arc has 8.6 and Disgaea has 8.8 all three got a 9 from IGN.

They are very good games. From what i've seen DS doesn't offer much.

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts

There are two amazing SRPG titles on the PSP, Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea. Both brilliant titles.

If you're looking for SRPG, honestly, you can't go wrong with those two titles.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChrnoTrigger

There are two amazing SRPG titles on the PSP, Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea. Both brilliant titles.

If you're looking for SRPG, honestly, you can't go wrong with those two titles.

jonnyt61

Hey! You forgot Jeanne D'arc. :( Amazing retelling of the Joan of Arc story :P

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

DS does have Advance Wars Daul Strike, Advance Wars Days of Ruin, FFTA2, and Luminos Arc is pretty good. Disgea is also coming to the DS with some extra content (although the PS2 version might be the best version). Plus you have access to a whole bunch of startegy games on the GBA.

It all depends on you.

mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mubarakibnumar
Member since 2005 • 586 Posts
[QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

ChrnoTrigger

FFT: WotL and Jeanne D'arc as well as Disgaea are all heavily underrated by GS (both got 8.0) but FFT has an 8.8 critic score and Jeanne D'arc has 8.6 and Disgaea has 8.8 all three got a 9 from IGN.

Well do some research cuz u r wrong

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Fire Emblem alone, even though it's a remake is enough to make me prefer the DS.

I can always play FE6-8 on it using the GBA slot. :P
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

Also, I can play all GBA games on my PSP, so that's not a problem for me. ;)

ChrnoTrigger

Not legaly :|

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

Also, I can play all GBA games on my PSP, so that's not a problem for me. ;)

Jakendo

Not legaly :|

Yeah, I know. That's why I said it's not a problem for me :P

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mitazaki

[QUOTE="Mitazaki"]ds has more than just the advance wars series, FFTA 2, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires, Age of Empires:Mythologies, Disgaea and more.ChrnoTrigger

Not even out yet.

As for the PSP, it has FF: WotL (possibly the best SRPG ever), Jeanne D'arc, Disgaea. I don't know what else it has, but these are the ones I know.

Edit: Even Fire emblem DS isin't out yet. Seriously, how many good SRPGs does the DS have? :?

yeah cos your not allowed to talk about games coming out :P

mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mubarakibnumar
[QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

ChrnoTrigger

Okay, name them for me? I don't own a DS so I don't care. :|

Fire Emblem,ASH,Final fantasy Tactics A2,Disgaea,Rondo of swords,FF Revenant Wings,Luminous Arc,Spectral force genesis,

Rhapsody,drone tactics,Front missin 2089 ETC. The DS was made for SRPG's.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

[QUOTE="Mitazaki"]ds has more than just the advance wars series, FFTA 2, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires, Age of Empires:Mythologies, Disgaea and more.Mitazaki

Not even out yet.

I just thought it would be more relevant to talk about games that are already out. :P

mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mubarakibnumar
[QUOTE="Mitazaki"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

[QUOTE="Mitazaki"]ds has more than just the advance wars series, FFTA 2, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires, Age of Empires:Mythologies, Disgaea and more.ChrnoTrigger

Not even out yet.

I just thought it would be more relevant to talk about games that are already out. :P

Well if we do that then it will seem that the ps3 will be in the worst position.

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mitazaki
also Panzer Tactics ds, Luminous Arc, Rondo Swords, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

mubarakibnumar

Fire Emblem,ASH,Final fantasy Tactics A2,Disgaea,Rondo of swords,FF Revenant Wings,Luminous Arc,Spectral force genesis,

For the sake of argument, i'll only name AA+ games.

PSP: FFT: WotL, Disgaea, Jeanne D'arc, Metal gear acid 1, Metal gear acid 2, field commander. 6 games

DS: Advance wars: Days of ruin, Advance wars: Dual Strike and Age of empires: the age of kings. 3 games

You decide.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
[QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

ChrnoTrigger

PSP: FFT: WotL, Disgaea, Jeanne D'arc, Metal gear acid 1, Metal gear acid 2, field commander. 6 games

DS: Advance wars: Days of ruin, Advance wars: Dual Strike and Age of empires: the age of kings. 3 games

You decide.

For the sake of the argument I'll only name AAA+ titles:

PSP: None

DS: Advance Wars: Dual strike

You decide...

Seriously, you can't beat the fact that the DS has more Turn Based Strategy games, you can also add Pokemon diamond to your list, it IS a turn based strategy game at it's core with mayor RPG elements.

To give you an honest response TC, DS beats the PSP in TBS/SRPGs hands down. Advance Wars Days of Ruin single handedly kills the entire PSPs SRPG library, by fitting your tastes. It has great online, great story, great gameplay mechanics and great graphics, more GREAT games include Luminous Arc, Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy III(and now IV too), Pokemon D/P, FFT A2, FF XII Revenant Wings and Rondo of Swords, you can forget about the other ones. Disgaea(a game PSP fans seem to throw around) will be available soon on the Ds with more content which = better, along with Fire Emblem and Pokemon Platinum which guarantees even more TBS/SRPGS in the future when apparently the PSP has none.

I've personally played Metal gear Acid, and TBH that game is simply boring... It offers no substance at all. It was simply a game made to showcase that Metal Gear Solid games can be done on the PSP with great graphics. If you want video game card games go get Yugioh 2008 for the DS, it even fits your tastes with great online and many other options like downloading the best decks of duelists from around the world like Ghost data.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

nintendog66

You decide.

You decide...

Seriously, you can't beat the fact that the DS has more Turn Based Strategy games, you can also add Pokemon diamond to your list, it IS a turn based strategy game at it's core with mayor RPG elements.

To give you an honest response TC, DS beats the PSP in TBS/SRPGs hands down. Advance Wars Days of Ruin single handedly kills the entire PSPs SRPG library, by fitting your tastes. It has great online, great story, great gameplay mechanics and great graphics, more GREAT games include Luminous Arc, Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy III(and now IV too), Pokemon D/P, FFT A2, FF XII Revenant Wings and Rondo of Swords, you can forget about the other ones. Disgaea(a game PSP fans seem to throw around) will be available soon on the Ds with more content which = better, along with Fire Emblem and Pokemon Platinum which guarantees even more TBS/SRPGS in the future when apparently the PSP has none.

I've personally played Metal gear Acid, and TBH that game is simply boring... It offers no substance at all. It was simply a game made to showcase that Metal Gear Solid games can be done on the PSP with great graphics. If you want video game card games go get Yugioh 2008 for the DS, it even fits your tastes with great online and many other options like downloading the best decks of duelists from around the world like Ghost data.

Trying to make up for the poor library with one game? I simply gave you the facts. How the hell can Advance wars "single-handedly" kill the PSP library when FFT is the best SRPG, ever? Pokemon games are not SRPGs, stop being a fanboy. Metal gear Acid series was a great spin-off :|

And what the hell? Why do you have FF3 in there? it's an RPG.. And it's also funny how you name so many A games. :lol:

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CAPSROGUE
Altho I do appreciate alot of the help, please, stop mentioning RPG's. Just 'cause something is turn-based doesn't mean it's a strategy game, eventho it might require some tactic. So no, I don't consider Pokemon a TBS-game. I consider Advance Wars, and FF War of the Lions, FF Tactics A2, Disgaea TBS-games, not Pokemon or some turn-based RPG.
mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mubarakibnumar
[QUOTE="nintendog66"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

ChrnoTrigger

You decide.

You decide...

Trying to make up for the poor library with one game? I simply gave you the facts. How the hell can Advance wars "single-handedly" kill the PSP library when FFT is the best SRPG, ever? Pokemon games are not SRPGs, stop being a fanboy. Metal gear Acid series was a great spin-off :|

And what the hell? Why do you have FF3 in there? it's an RPG.. And it's also funny how you name so many A games. :lol:

Port.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="nintendog66"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

mubarakibnumar

You decide.

You decide...

Port.

With better graphics, new stunning cel-shaded cut-scenes, two new job classes, etc, etc. Many people didn't play the original, so it's never too late :|

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
im sorry the Ds is the only way to go. not only does it has past titles, it also has future titles. the end.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

Advanced Wars

/thread

edit: After looking up TBS games for both systems, the PSP has 2 more games than the DS, but 2 of those are also sequels, while the DS only has 1 sequel( Advance Wars).

If you don't count sequels

PSP has 3AA games

DS has 1 AAA game, 1 AA

Counting sequels

PSP has 4 AA games

DS has 2 AA games, 1 AAA game

teh_ownerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 teh_ownerer
Member since 2005 • 2037 Posts
For TBS games go for PSP (look above).
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rahnyc4
For TBS games go for PSP (look above).teh_ownerer
joke post.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChrnoTrigger

[QUOTE="teh_ownerer"]For TBS games go for PSP (look above).Rahnyc4
joke post.

The only joke here is your fanboyism.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rahnyc4

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"][QUOTE="teh_ownerer"]For TBS games go for PSP (look above).ChrnoTrigger

joke post.

Not even out yet.

ChrnoTrigger
nothing beat that fanboy comment, as if you dont know that the Ds is over run with SRPGs. its the highest selling video game system out now, be real.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChrnoTrigger
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"][QUOTE="teh_ownerer"]For TBS games go for PSP (look above).Rahnyc4

joke post.

Not even out yet.

ChrnoTrigger

nothing beat that fanboy comment, as if you dont know that the Ds is over run with SRPGs. its the highest selling video game system out now, be real.

How is that a fanboyish comment? Just because it's the highest selling handheld out atm, doesn't mean it has the most SRPGs.. -_-

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Awwww lol you gotta love those fanboys!!!

To the OP Jeanne D'arc is a really good game man. I had a great time playing that one.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Ds no question.

I loooove Advanced Wars, I also own Field Commander, but its just not as good. CiV might be pretty damn good too.

Although strategy wise the PSP does have excellent games. Socom Tactical Strike is phenomenally good

maziso2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 maziso2
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Theres also Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 for the psp. They are basically card bases SRPGS, taking turns similar to Fftactics. Both are very good and heavily underrated
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

With better graphics, new stunning cel-shaded cut-scenes, two new job classes, etc, etc. Many people didn't play the original, so it's never too late :|

ChrnoTrigger

I have to admit, FFT was the swing that got me to buy a PSP. I also picked up Jeanne d'Arc while I was at it.

But then again, I've owned a DS Lite for two years already, so it's not like I'm missing out. :P It's only now that the PSP became good enough on hardware, software, AND price to actually become worth buying. But the DS is still the superior gaming machine.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Regardless of who you think has the better line-up -- by GS scores, its close -- think about what's coming out. By the end of the year and into first quarter of 2009, the DS will have gotten a lot more TBS, and unless Sony announces they're buying Intelligent Systems, not much can change that.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

DS also has the Civilization Revolutions game that just came out also.....I think it's definitely DS here.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
PSP: Jeanne D'Arc Disgaea FFT DS: Age of Empires (actually very good!) Civ: Revolution (exactly the same as the console versions in gameplay) FFTA2 Advance Wars DS / DoR DS has a couple other more niche ones that i liked, like Etrian Odyssey 2 (..an acquired taste, basically a mapmaking sRPG), Rondo of Swords, and Panzer Tactics. And I've still got my old GBA carts of Ogre Tactics, FFTA, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars 2. edit: and i guess disgaea's coming to the DS, isn't it?
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

PSP: Jeanne D'Arc Disgaea FFT DS: Age of Empires (actually very good!) Civ: Revolution (exactly the same as the console versions in gameplay) FFTA2 Advance Wars DS / DoR DS has a couple other more niche ones that i liked, like Etrian Odyssey 2 (..an acquired taste, basically a mapmaking sRPG), Rondo of Swords, and Panzer Tactics. And I've still got my old GBA carts of Ogre Tactics, FFTA, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars 2. edit: and i guess disgaea's coming to the DS, isn't it?Makari

Yes it is.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

mubarakibnumar

You're just listing what you can find.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Makari
You're just listing what you can find.Ragnarok1051
Yeah... my list are the ones that are definitely good if you like sRPG's, since I've actually played them. Some people said they liked Drone Tactics, but I never tried it, looks meh. Ditto for Revenant Wings, and it's more of a quasi-RTS anyway.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]You're just listing what you can find.Makari
Yeah... my list are the ones that are definitely good if you like sRPG's, since I've actually played them. Some people said they liked Drone Tactics, but I never tried it, looks meh. Ditto for Revenant Wings, and it's more of a quasi-RTS anyway.

Revenant Wings is a RTS.

mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mubarakibnumar
[QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="mubarakibnumar"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

Ragnarok1051

You're just listing what you can find.

I have bought 6 games from that list

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]You're just listing what you can find.Ragnarok1051

Revenant Wings is a RTS.

it feels odd giving it that much credit :D
HelixTurnHelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HelixTurnHelix
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts
Jeez, I thought the DS/PSP wars ended years ago... guess I was wrong.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
DS