PSN is now Sony's "Premium Entertainment Service Brand"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/playstation-network-psn-sony-premium-entertainment-service-brand-30915

PlayStation Network is now becoming Sony's main brand for all things entertainment, the company announced today.

Sony's online network "will be the premium entertainment service brand which encompasses games, TV, video and music services." As such, its Video Unlimited and Music Unlimited services are being rebranded PlayStation Video and PlayStation Music, respectively.

Here's a full rundown on each of the services that are now part of the PlayStation Network:The PlayStation brand is easily one of the most valuable (and profitable) things Sony currently owns, so it only makes sense for the company to consolidate all of its services under this banner. I don't know about you, but I think this only paints a more promising future for the company and gamers alike.

PlayStation®Store (PS Store)

Since its launch in November 2006, PS Store has allowed users to discover and download digital game and video content anytime, anywhere from various devices including PlayStation platforms such as PlayStation®4 (PS4™), PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita). SCE and SNEI will continue to offer PS Store as a premier destination for users to purchase exciting content that can be instantly enjoyed on their PlayStation consoles.

PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus)

PS Plus offers members exclusive features and content, such as "Instant Game Collection," which give users access to full versions of popular titles with no time limits or extra costs, and "Online Multiplayer," which allows PS4 owners to play with and challenge other gamers over the network. As of January 2, 2015, over 10.9 million users have been taking advantage of the features and benefits of the membership service. PS Plus has been greatly enhanced since the launch of PS4, and will continue to provide a wide array of exciting content and services to PlayStation users.

PlayStationâ„¢Video (PS Video)

The video on demand and transactional service, "Video Unlimited," will be rebranded as PS Video and will continue to offer over 200,000 movies and TV shows across PlayStation platforms, Sony devices and PCs, in 11 countries and regions. With PS Video, users will have immediate access to buy or rent, not only a deep catalog of content, but the latest releases across movies and TV shows, including exclusive content only available on PlayStation, anytime and anywhere on various compatible devices.

PlayStationâ„¢Music (PS Music)

PS Music will represent the music listening destination. SCE and SNEI have entered into a global strategic partnership with Spotify, in order to continuously deliver a best-in-class digital music experience with PlayStation Network. Spotify on PS Music will become newly available in 41 countries and regions this spring*2. The music streaming service "Music Unlimited" will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015.

PlayStationâ„¢Now (PS Now)

The streaming game service PS Now, allows users in the US and Canada to instantly enjoy a wide range of PS3 games on various network-enabled devices, by leveraging cloud-based technology. Currently, the service is available on PlayStation platforms including PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and also Sony TVs and Blu-ray players, and select Samsung Smart TVs.

PlayStationâ„¢Vue (PS Vue)

PS Vue, first announced in November 2014, is a pioneering new cloud-based TV service that reinvents the television experience. The beta preview has begun in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia for select PS4 and PS3 owners, and will launch commercially during the first quarter of 2015. PS Vue leverages the power of the cloud to combine the live, on-demand, and catch-up TV content viewers love with a powerful user interface, that delivers unprecedented personalization and simplicity.

The PlayStation brand is easily one of the most valuable (and profitable) things Sony currently owns, so it only makes sense for the company to consolidate all of its services under this banner. I don't know about you, but I think this only paints a more promising future for the company and gamers alike.

------------------------------

Your thoughts, SW? Will the PlayStation brand help Sony's other entertainment businesses? It seems like Sony is all in on PS4. Would be nice if they tried to give the Vita some CPR for one last time. It could easily fit into the Sony entertainment mold. Doesn't help that Sony cut off youtube on the device, though.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Both companies should go "entertainment service" xbox tried, everyone complained, but i see it might be coming back up once win 10 hits, slowly through updates.

Hopefully both companies go this route.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44595 Posts

Doesn't surprise me. Their digital streaming cable alternative is going to launch soon on PS4 first before anything else like a dedicated set top box device. Though, I think they should reconsider as MS is doing a similar digital streaming cable alternative soon, and I don't think they're limiting themselves to one device. Competition between two services might be good if it results for competitive pricing and quality of services and quantity of channel and on demand supported titles. I suspect the one that's more readily accessible might have the edge, I hope PSN as far as its network is concerned for this can be flexible enough to create app support for existing set top boxes. I'd like to see this idea of digital streaming cable alternative really take off.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

It's Sony's only remaining brand that's worth a damm

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

It's Sony's only remaining brand that's worth a damm

Sad but true

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

Both companies should go "entertainment service" xbox tried, everyone complained, but i see it might be coming back up once win 10 hits, slowly through updates.

MS announced they were going this route and were berated for it. Should be interesting to see how people react to sony doing it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Hopefully they make the service better

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I read recently Sony were firing people from their smartphone business. So I'm guessing they're trying every and anything to get some revenue after these losses. I'm guessing since these services probably won't work with their failing smartphone devices, might as well slap them on their gaming devices and see if it sticks. Lately, their focus have been on entertainment in form of music and TV shows. Great way to start their year.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@RR360DD:

Their tvs are pretty cool too

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52444 Posts

PESB.

Sounds like a disease or a drug.

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 legendary70
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/playstation-network-psn-sony-premium-entertainment-service-brand-30915

PlayStation Network is now becoming Sony's main brand for all things entertainment, the company announced today.

Sony's online network "will be the premium entertainment service brand which encompasses games, TV, video and music services." As such, its Video Unlimited and Music Unlimited services are being rebranded PlayStation Video and PlayStation Music, respectively.

Here's a full rundown on each of the services that are now part of the PlayStation Network:The PlayStation brand is easily one of the most valuable (and profitable) things Sony currently owns, so it only makes sense for the company to consolidate all of its services under this banner. I don't know about you, but I think this only paints a more promising future for the company and gamers alike.

PlayStation®Store (PS Store)

Since its launch in November 2006, PS Store has allowed users to discover and download digital game and video content anytime, anywhere from various devices including PlayStation platforms such as PlayStation®4 (PS4™), PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita). SCE and SNEI will continue to offer PS Store as a premier destination for users to purchase exciting content that can be instantly enjoyed on their PlayStation consoles.

PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus)

PS Plus offers members exclusive features and content, such as "Instant Game Collection," which give users access to full versions of popular titles with no time limits or extra costs, and "Online Multiplayer," which allows PS4 owners to play with and challenge other gamers over the network. As of January 2, 2015, over 10.9 million users have been taking advantage of the features and benefits of the membership service. PS Plus has been greatly enhanced since the launch of PS4, and will continue to provide a wide array of exciting content and services to PlayStation users.

PlayStationâ„¢Video (PS Video)

The video on demand and transactional service, "Video Unlimited," will be rebranded as PS Video and will continue to offer over 200,000 movies and TV shows across PlayStation platforms, Sony devices and PCs, in 11 countries and regions. With PS Video, users will have immediate access to buy or rent, not only a deep catalog of content, but the latest releases across movies and TV shows, including exclusive content only available on PlayStation, anytime and anywhere on various compatible devices.

PlayStationâ„¢Music (PS Music)

PS Music will represent the music listening destination. SCE and SNEI have entered into a global strategic partnership with Spotify, in order to continuously deliver a best-in-class digital music experience with PlayStation Network. Spotify on PS Music will become newly available in 41 countries and regions this spring*2. The music streaming service "Music Unlimited" will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015.

PlayStationâ„¢Now (PS Now)

The streaming game service PS Now, allows users in the US and Canada to instantly enjoy a wide range of PS3 games on various network-enabled devices, by leveraging cloud-based technology. Currently, the service is available on PlayStation platforms including PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and also Sony TVs and Blu-ray players, and select Samsung Smart TVs.

PlayStationâ„¢Vue (PS Vue)

PS Vue, first announced in November 2014, is a pioneering new cloud-based TV service that reinvents the television experience. The beta preview has begun in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia for select PS4 and PS3 owners, and will launch commercially during the first quarter of 2015. PS Vue leverages the power of the cloud to combine the live, on-demand, and catch-up TV content viewers love with a powerful user interface, that delivers unprecedented personalization and simplicity.

The PlayStation brand is easily one of the most valuable (and profitable) things Sony currently owns, so it only makes sense for the company to consolidate all of its services under this banner. I don't know about you, but I think this only paints a more promising future for the company and gamers alike.

------------------------------

Your thoughts, SW? Will the PlayStation brand help Sony's other entertainment businesses? It seems like Sony is all in on PS4. Would be nice if they tried to give the Vita some CPR for one last time. It could easily fit into the Sony entertainment mold. Doesn't help that Sony cut off youtube on the device, though.

It has to be.......because there TV's suck now when compared to Samsung, LG, etc.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't just re-brand SONY as PlayStation while they are at it.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

@polishkid99 said:

MS announced they were going this route and were berated for it. Should be interesting to see how people react to sony doing it.

The difference is that Sony was gaming first, media second and all their media endeavors are just downloadable apps whereas the XB1 was media focused from the first and has a ton of non-gaming features involving expensive dedicated hardware that you had to pay for regardless of whether you want to use it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I've had countless hours of enjoyment on PSN this gen, seems legit.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@freakbabyblues said:

@darkangel115 said:

@polishkid99 said:

The difference is that Sony was gaming first, media second and all their media endeavors are just downloadable apps whereas the XB1 was media focused from the first and has a ton of non-gaming features involving expensive dedicated hardware that you had to pay for regardless of whether you want to use it.

Thats literally all perception. Gaming wise, both consoles do exactly the same thing. play games, stream games, built in DVR, online gaming network etc. there is nothing to show that MS has put gaming on a back burner to media on their console. Its just additional goodies in an attempt to lock people into their economy for all their entertainment, same thing sony is doing. How exactly do you see xbox as a media first device? What ton of non-gaming expensive hardware? an HDMI in port? lol

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

All count has DRM attached and is owned by Sony or their 3rd party. Nothing is owned by the users, yet they will pay for all these services. I thought this was what we were trying to get away from when M$ tried this. With all this stuff you pretty much will be "always online".

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Will only ever use Plus, Store and Music(maybe for the free Spotify). Music Ultd must have been a giant money sink for them.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

<b>sony got the best games movies shows n music it was a matter of time until the entertainment sleeping giant awoken. sony is an entertainment conglarament beast. many have tried to be the best all in one machine but only one, sony, got it right. these services are premium services so we gladly pay for the premium because u get ur moneys worth. these services are better on sony machines period</b>

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

@darkangel115 said:Thats literally all perception. Gaming wise, both consoles do exactly the same thing. play games, stream games, built in DVR, online gaming network etc. there is nothing to show that MS has put gaming on a back burner to media on their console. Its just additional goodies in an attempt to lock people into their economy for all their entertainment, same thing sony is doing. How exactly do you see xbox as a media first device? What ton of non-gaming expensive hardware? an HDMI in port? lol

Of course a matter it's perception. People weren't upset about the presence of media features but how they were revealed, as though they were the focus and not the games. It didn't help that the system was $100 more because of the (then packaged in) Kinect which is more useful outside of games than in and the XB1 consistently runs games at lower resolutions and frame rates than the PS4. Sony's long since demonstrated the PS4's dedication to gaming so there's no reason for anyone to be upset about additional features.

Note: I don't see the Xbox as a media-first device (and I honestly wouldn't care if it was so long as it did everything I wanted it to competently), I'm just referring to how others interpreted Microsoft's messaging when they announced the system.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

they both will do it, in fact, SONY should be the one leading since they are heavily more invested in media than MS.

Oh well M$ talks

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@_SWAG_ said:

<b>sony got the best games movies shows n music it was a matter of time until the entertainment sleeping giant awoken. sony is an entertainment conglarament beast. many have tried to be the best all in one machine but only one, sony, got it right. these services are premium services so we gladly pay for the premium because u get ur moneys worth. these services are better on sony machines period</b>

MS will be better I mean they got Netflix on 360 b4 SONY did on PS3

Think that speaks volumes