PSN down... LizardSquad take credit

#251 Posted by SolidTy (42823 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

You mean games that require online to play XD

To be fair, almost all games on PS4, baring ISS and TLOU, are mainly multiplayer. And also to be fair, Starcraft and Diablo's campaign's, and DOTA and LoL vs bots is playable offline too.

That's not even remotely true.

#252 Posted by ChronosChris (240 posts) -

To anyone that is wondering.. "In light of today’s issue, the networks will not undergo the regularly scheduled maintenance, which was planned for Monday, August 25. We will provide an update shortly for when the maintenance will be rescheduled."

#253 Posted by melonfarmerz (1149 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@melonfarmerz said:

To be fair, almost all games on PS4, baring ISS and TLOU, are mainly multiplayer. And also to be fair, Starcraft and Diablo's campaign's, and DOTA and LoL vs bots is playable offline too.

What else is there? BF4, Sports games, COD, FF14:RR, KZ, ect are all played for multiplayer. Everyone's already finished AC4, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, and other big multiplats. What's left? Transistor and Child of Light?

#254 Edited by SolidTy (42823 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@SolidTy said:

@melonfarmerz said:

What else is there? BF4, Sports games, COD, FF14:RR, KZ, ect are all played for multiplayer. Everyone's already finished AC4, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, and other big multiplats. What's left? Transistor and Child of Light?

Are you serious? I think you are joking but I don't understand why. Maybe it's a language barrier? As in, you meant to say something else but English isn't your native language? I get the impression you don't own a PS4, but post a lot about the machine. Perhaps like many users, you post a lot about the machines, not based on experience, but selected articles you cite? I agree with Starcraft and Diablo, I own those on PC. Great games both in Singleplayer and Multiplayer. I actually own multiple copies of both games.

My issue is that you (inaccurately) said:

"almost all games on PS4, baring ISS and TLOU, are mainly multiplayer"

You said almost all games on PS4 were mainly MP and that's not true.

I hate to use wiki (since it's heavily modified by randoms daily), it will give some sort of list for now (317 PS4 games listed on that page for now). I will tell you that Sony gave PS+ gamers 14 free PS+ games and I have all of those as I bought a launch PS4 (as well as Xbone/Wii U) to compliment my four gaming PCs and these PS+ free games weren't mainly multiplayer either.

1ContrastNovember 15, 2013January 7, 2014
2ResogunJune 3, 2014
3Don't StarveJanuary 7, 2014February 4, 2014
4OutlastFebruary 4, 2014March 4, 2014
5Dead Nation: Apocalypse EditionMarch 4, 2014April 1, 2014
6Mercenary KingsApril 1, 2014May 6, 2014
7Stick It to the Man!May 6, 2014June 3, 2014
8PixelJunk Shooter: Ultimate June 3, 2014July 1, 2014
9Trine 2: Complete Story
10Doki-Doki UniverseJuly 1, 2014August 5, 2014
11Strider
12TowerFall: Ascension
13FezAugust 5, 2014September 2, 2014
14Road Not Taken

----

I'm not sure if you are just trolling and like these sort of debates? I hope not. I wanted to correct what you posted. I didn't even list all the sports and various other games released from Diablo 3 to Child of Light to Transistor to PT teaser to Metal Gear to Assassin's Creed to Lego Marvel to Injustice to Watch Dogs to Wolfenstein to Dynasty Warriors....and many, many more. Just go into a gamestore and look on the wall. The PS4's library isn't "mainly multiplayer". It's true, MP is in a lot of games, but there are plenty of SP games on the machine.

#255 Edited by Wiiboxstation (234 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools:

Of course Nintendo are ahead of Microsoft and Sony when it comes to anything to do with gaming. They actually look out for gamers, not coming up with worthless subscriptions.

#256 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1000 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@SolidTy said:

@melonfarmerz said:

You told me to not bend facts in another thread and here you are assuming that everyone has finished most if not all single player games on the PS4 and posing it as fact.

I have yet to finish any of them aside from COD and Infamous.

Some ppl just take their time playing their games or don't have the time to play non stop and some ppl just bought their PS4.

#257 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71270 posts) -

battle-net, LoL and Live have also been attacked. And for those guys complaining about that Sony needs better security need to rethink. DDoS attacks are just attacks that overload servers and are unecessary

#258 Posted by SOedipus (6811 posts) -

Don't these assholes have better things to do with their time? Go after illegal sites or something.

#259 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6798 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother: the $500 was my choice . The ass raping Sony gives isn't a choice at all. Hence the definition of rape.

Yeah... Not a choice at all.... So much for that godly XBL service right now huh?

Come on now, don't try to cover the fact that Sony is way more screwed now than Xbox Live. I just logged on and Live is fine. Sony is always having problems with PSN.

#260 Posted by SecretPolice (21776 posts) -

Crazy shyt man, these people doing this need a real job but eh, me bets they live off the gobment dole and have all this spare time for crap like this, shame, really.

#261 Posted by tormentos (17719 posts) -

@mikhail said:

Oh man...you really drank the Sony Kool-Aid. PSN was down for THREE WEEKS back in 2011. Online only games came and went. Sony got fucking sued in a class action lawsuit and had to pay out $15 million dollars in damages...yet...here you are defending their lack of security on PSN. Brilliant.

They've had years to fix their security flaws and still can't. It's pathetic. Sony is a multinational conglomerate and they can't even secure their beloved online platform against an amateurish hacking group.

edited - mistyped weeks as months!

Few games were online only on PS3 on 2011,Warhawk and very other few.

Sony was sued and nothing happen.

People could not play 3 weeks in 2011 big deal they could not play online on a free service,now what the fu** did you lemmings play when the xbox 360 RROD and was 1 month out at MS repair centers.?

At least we could play offline,which i could say the same about the millions of 360 owners who RROD at any given time,sh** happen get over it..

It lasted 1 days is already fix and PSN is up..

lol

I can imagine how all this went yesterday..hahaha

#262 Edited by nyzma23 (924 posts) -

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

wut paid server and got hacked AGAIN ,they better rent azure datacentre from microsoft which is battle proven

DDOS isn't a hack. Its a flood.

can you flood azure data centre lol not even tsunami can make it offline

Looks like they can

I still don't understand why they are doing these to gaming companies. They aren't going to win sympathy cards from gamers.

What are you talking ? i can play titanfall just fine with my fried and the site says that limited service ONLY with party chat in diablo 3 which is make sense because blizzard server also get ddosed

"Additionally, Xbox One users, are you experiencing server unavailability issues? Us too, but we’re working alongside our partner to get these issues fixed ASAP!"

Its not the blizzard servers...Its the servers on MS and Sony's end. MS just switch the server status to limited because of the attacks.

People can play right now on PSN too. PSN got definitely got hit worse but both services have been spotty all weekend. Today is the worst day that is for sure. DDOS is just flooding the login servers and then everything else takes a hit afterwards.

I wish they would just stop.

"Hi Xbox members. Are you having trouble connecting to Party Chat on Diablo III on Xbox One and Xbox 360? Additionally, Xbox One users, are you experiencing server unavailability issues? Us too, but we’re working alongside our partner to get these issues fixed ASAP! We’ll keep you posted when we have more information. In the meantime, thanks for staying patient."

HA xbox live never down you cows are stupid microsoft have 15 data centre in around the world more than amazon and even google ,cows never learned that Microsoft have tons of consumer and entreprise cloud service other than xbox live

#263 Posted by cainetao11 (17360 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@SolidTy said:

@melonfarmerz said:

You told me to not bend facts in another thread and here you are assuming that everyone has finished most if not all single player games on the PS4 and posing it as fact.

Some ppl just take their time playing their games or don't have the time to play non stop and some ppl just bought their PS4.

Well said. I still haven't beaten AC4 yet.

#264 Edited by cainetao11 (17360 posts) -

SAN FRANCISCO/TOKYO - Sony Corp (6758.T) said hackers had taken down its PlayStation Network without compromising its 53 million users' personal data, while the FBI was investigating a bomb scare on a flight carrying a top Sony executive in the United States.

The hackers behind the PlayStation attack said they had also targeted the servers of World of Warcraft video gamemakers Blizzard Entertainment, whose website was down, and threatened to attack Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox Live network which was also experiencing problems.

By Malathi Nayak and Sophie Knight

Reuters - ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎25‎, ‎2014

Thank god nobody's stuff is exposed as of yet.

#265 Posted by Shewgenja (8791 posts) -

SAN FRANCISCO/TOKYO - Sony Corp (6758.T) said hackers had taken down its PlayStation Network without compromising its 53 million users' personal data, while the FBI was investigating a bomb scare on a flight carrying a top Sony executive in the United States.

The hackers behind the PlayStation attack said they had also targeted the servers of World of Warcraft video gamemakers Blizzard Entertainment, whose website was down, and threatened to attack Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox Live network which was also experiencing problems.

By Malathi Nayak and Sophie Knight

Reuters - ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎25‎, ‎2014

Thank god nobody's stuff is exposed as of yet.

It won't be, in all honesty. A DDoS isn't a hack in the literal sense of the word. All they are doing is flooding the datacenters or servers with a bunch of traffic that it can't account for. Denial of Service is literally just that. You don't have to log on or root anything on a network to do it, just simply have a number of compromised systems on a botnet out on the old interwebs sending traffic to the DNS servers or the IP addresses of the servers so that actual legitimate (user) traffic gets squeezed out.

It's only a matter of time before the authorities figure out the nature of the botnet. Blocking the traffic isn't as effective as unplugging the servers doing it. Live seems to be doing alright because it is simply a bigger network than the botnet causing the attacks. As such, the traffic is being rendered benign. There's no secret magic trick to it.

#266 Edited by Animal-Mother (26778 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother: the $500 was my choice . The ass raping Sony gives isn't a choice at all. Hence the definition of rape.

Yeah... Not a choice at all.... So much for that godly XBL service right now huh?

Come on now, don't try to cover the fact that Sony is way more screwed now than Xbox Live. I just logged on and Live is fine. Sony is always having problems with PSN.

And I logged into PSN just fine.

But lets act like this never happened.....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131 2007

A lot of companies were targeted and Xbls server status was limited for a while....

Ohhh wait... It still is.http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

#267 Posted by cainetao11 (17360 posts) -

@Shewgenja: thanks for that. I'm not as up on tech stuff as many here.

#268 Edited by Daious (1252 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

wut paid server and got hacked AGAIN ,they better rent azure datacentre from microsoft which is battle proven

Looks like they can

I still don't understand why they are doing these to gaming companies. They aren't going to win sympathy cards from gamers.

What are you talking ? i can play titanfall just fine with my fried and the site says that limited service ONLY with party chat in diablo 3 which is make sense because blizzard server also get ddosed

"Additionally, Xbox One users, are you experiencing server unavailability issues? Us too, but we’re working alongside our partner to get these issues fixed ASAP!"

Its not the blizzard servers...Its the servers on MS and Sony's end. MS just switch the server status to limited because of the attacks.

People can play right now on PSN too. PSN got definitely got hit worse but both services have been spotty all weekend. Today is the worst day that is for sure. DDOS is just flooding the login servers and then everything else takes a hit afterwards.

"Hi Xbox members. Are you having trouble connecting to Party Chat on Diablo III on Xbox One and Xbox 360? Additionally, Xbox One users, are you experiencing server unavailability issues? Us too, but we’re working alongside our partner to get these issues fixed ASAP! We’ll keep you posted when we have more information. In the meantime, thanks for staying patient."

HA xbox live never down you cows are stupid microsoft have 15 data centre in around the world more than amazon and even google ,cows never learned that Microsoft have tons of consumer and entreprise cloud service other than xbox live

Xbox live has been down before.

This ddos attempt made them change all their server status to limited yesterday....

Its harder to DDOS MS because they didn't centralize their servers (a smart decisions) as opposed to other companies.

I am a cow now?

People take fanboy wars way to seriously here.

#269 Posted by melonfarmerz (1149 posts) -

And everything you've typed would be right. My bad. I came back from a party last night flat out wasted and typed quite a bit of BS. Sorry you had to type all that lol.

#270 Posted by melonfarmerz (1149 posts) -

Although there is a response to your post, I have an even better counter question that's slightly off topic.

You constantly praise the PS4 for having so many amazing games and exclusives better than any other platform. I'd assume you'd spent hours on end, at least finishing a few of the classics like TLOU and some shorter but decent indies. Yet, all you've finished is Infamous and fucking COD. Fucking COD. Who finishes, or even starts for that matter, COD.

#271 Edited by gago-gago (9448 posts) -

I just saw this news on NBC Today show and they only mentioned Playstation Network. I don't think main stream media would have mention this if they didn't do that bomb scare on the Sony Online Entertainment president. PSN is under maintenance now but I believe this maintenance was planned before the attack. Hopefully they'll fix these problems too on top of the problems they were originally planning to fix.

#273 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Oh shit they hacked the Sony Online President's plane apparently..

Plane hacking! LMFAO!

#274 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Oh shit they hacked the Sony Online President's plane apparently..

Plane hacking! LMFAO!

They remotely controlled it, they demand EQ:Next to not be dumbed down.

#275 Edited by B4X (4306 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@b4x: Last time i checked XBL has been hacked before as well it's down just as much I know I've been a member since 2005. The delusional that think XBL is better then PSN is hillarious at this point. It was for awhile but over the past 3 years they have been about the same.

#276 Posted by Heil68 (43996 posts) -

Great to see SONy on the ball and take action and get the gen 8 leading PS4 back online ASAP.

#277 Edited by RR360DD (11801 posts) -

I hope all cows are keeping an eye on their bank accounts. Especially after last time...

#278 Posted by B4X (4306 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

I hope all cows are keeping an eye on their bank accounts. Especially after last time...

I think the Lizard ate the Hamster?

Seriously. If you put your CC info on either console. You deserve your just rewards.

#279 Posted by Shewgenja (8791 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

FUD.

#280 Edited by gago-gago (9448 posts) -

I wonder when the rescheduled maintenance will be and if it will be longer now like a week.

#281 Posted by B4X (4306 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

FUD.

Safety = FUD?

You do realize there is History here?

#282 Edited by PapaTrop (860 posts) -

This sucks for those people wanting to play games.

But the PS4 kinda sucks for people wanting to play games anyways.

#283 Posted by WallofTruth (1574 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@prawephet said:

@bldgirsh: what difference does it make to you? People pay for things they find value in.

I don't smoke or drink(not often anyways). Does that mean I should ask why people spend hundreds of dollars at the bar every weekend? No, not at all.

Well this is a gaming forum about this kind of stuff, so your analogy doesn't work here.

If the analogy works then it works....I don't see how an analogy has to pertain to the subject matter of the forum.

That makes no sense...it's an analogy.

Yeah but like I said, it doesn't work. And it has to pertain to the subject matter of the forum because this is System Wars, this is the place where you ask questions like that.

#284 Posted by WallofTruth (1574 posts) -
#285 Posted by Prawephet (297 posts) -

@walloftruth: The whole point of an analogy is to compare to a different subject. That's why it's an analogy. But fine I can use something consistent with the subject matter.

People buy games they see value in. For instance I don't buy Call of Duty anymore yet it's the top grossing game year in, year out. The $60 for COD is better spent on a XBL or PS+ subscription.

The whole point of the analogy was was people will spend their money how they see fit. I see value in PS+ so I pay for it, although I didn't buy it until February.

#286 Posted by cantloginnow (159 posts) -

lol...psn.Garbage network.

#287 Posted by heretrix (37349 posts) -

That's weird. I was playing PS3 Diablo 3:ROS all weekend with no issues.

#288 Posted by darkangel115 (1586 posts) -

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

@daious said:

@nyzma23 said:

Looks like they can

Xbox live has been down before.

This ddos attempt made them change all their server status to limited yesterday....

Its harder to DDOS MS because they didn't centralize their servers (a smart decisions) as opposed to other companies.

I am a cow now?

People take fanboy wars way to seriously here.

you do realize that limited doesn't mean its down. They put it in limited if it isn't 100% the PBS app had issues and they put it in limited until PBS fixed their app. They also put it in limited because blizzard went down and it affected diablo 3 but still had nothing to do with XBL itself. They do that so people know there is an issue with something, but it isn't always MS or XBL related

#289 Posted by AM-Gamer (3811 posts) -

@b4x said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@b4x: Last time i checked XBL has been hacked before as well it's down just as much I know I've been a member since 2005. The delusional that think XBL is better then PSN is hillarious at this point. It was for awhile but over the past 3 years they have been about the same.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

I dont think thats imagination. Thats called a fact. Now stay butthurt.

#290 Posted by lostrib (35892 posts) -

@b4x said:

@Shewgenja said:

@RR360DD said:

FUD.

Safety = FUD?

There does not appear to be any evidence that the PSN user data was accessed. They got DDOSed

#291 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1000 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@walloftruth said:

@prawephet said:

@bldgirsh: what difference does it make to you? People pay for things they find value in.

I don't smoke or drink(not often anyways). Does that mean I should ask why people spend hundreds of dollars at the bar every weekend? No, not at all.

Well this is a gaming forum about this kind of stuff, so your analogy doesn't work here.

If the analogy works then it works....I don't see how an analogy has to pertain to the subject matter of the forum.

That makes no sense...it's an analogy.

Yeah but like I said, it doesn't work. And it has to pertain to the subject matter of the forum because this is System Wars, this is the place where you ask questions like that.

Thats not how analogies or life works.

Where is this rule? I've never heard of such a dumb "rule".

On topic: None of this really matters. It was handled in relatively short amount of time....and it's over with. Gonna play First Light tonight at midnight...and I won't care what happened for 3 hours yesterday at all.

#292 Posted by BldgIrsh (2224 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Bigboi500: They must be the extreme right wing T-Lem's since they also ddos'd Xbox live.

Except that LIve wasn't DDOS'd

It was... do you somehow filter out all bad news about the xbone?

#293 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1000 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Although there is a response to your post, I have an even better counter question that's slightly off topic.

You constantly praise the PS4 for having so many amazing games and exclusives better than any other platform. I'd assume you'd spent hours on end, at least finishing a few of the classics like TLOU and some shorter but decent indies. Yet, all you've finished is Infamous and fucking COD. Fucking COD. Who finishes, or even starts for that matter, COD.

News flash....when I say exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Hot Shots Golf, Infamous, etc.....theres a whole fucking other system called the PS3 in which I can include.

In other words I'm praising Sony's exclusives....not just the PS4.

Who the fuck acts insightful without knowing anything....oh, right thats you. COD was a present for me and my youngin' to play together in local multiplayer.

I mean....you might be the kind of awesome person who bitches when someone gets you a gift that isn't exactly with the in crowd....but not everyone is 8 years old.

#294 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6798 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

And I logged into PSN just fine.

But lets act like this never happened.....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131 2007

A lot of companies were targeted and Xbls server status was limited for a while....

Ohhh wait... It still is.http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Why are you going hack vs. hack. We all know Sony was the king of all hacks when they were exploited with account info stolen. Then in typical sony fashion they tried to cover it up. What were they down for, a month? ROFL.

#295 Posted by tormentos (17719 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Apparently you don't know what a DDOS attack is right.? lol

PSN had a hack in 2011 yet it was xbox live who suffer constant credit card losses all gen last gen. lol

you do realize that limited doesn't mean its down. They put it in limited if it isn't 100% the PBS app had issues and they put it in limited until PBS fixed their app. They also put it in limited because blizzard went down and it affected diablo 3 but still had nothing to do with XBL itself. They do that so people know there is an issue with something, but it isn't always MS or XBL related

It has problems period.

#296 Posted by sts106mat (19466 posts) -

these fuckers are pathetic scumbags.

#297 Edited by delta3074 (18104 posts) -

@mikhail said:

Oh man...you really drank the Sony Kool-Aid. PSN was down for THREE WEEKS back in 2011. Online only games came and went. Sony got fucking sued in a class action lawsuit and had to pay out $15 million dollars in damages...yet...here you are defending their lack of security on PSN. Brilliant.

They've had years to fix their security flaws and still can't. It's pathetic. Sony is a multinational conglomerate and they can't even secure their beloved online platform against an amateurish hacking group.

edited - mistyped weeks as months!

Few games were online only on PS3 on 2011,Warhawk and very other few.

Sony was sued and nothing happen.

People could not play 3 weeks in 2011 big deal they could not play online on a free service,now what the fu** did you lemmings play when the xbox 360 RROD and was 1 month out at MS repair centers.?

At least we could play offline,which i could say the same about the millions of 360 owners who RROD at any given time,sh** happen get over it..

It lasted 1 days is already fix and PSN is up..

lol

I can imagine how all this went yesterday..hahaha

Wrong, SONY was fined for the PSN breach

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/24/sony_psn_breach_fine/

http://www.wablegal.com/e-bulletins/sony-fined-%C2%A3250000-ico-playstation-network-breach

250,000 by ICO

and the have abandoned appealing against it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23313535

'Sony has dropped its appeal against a £250,000 penalty imposed after its PlayStation Network was hacked in 2011.

The UK Information Commissioner's Office imposed the fine in January, finding Sony negligent for failing to protect PSN users whose login and credit card details had been leaked.'

Britain was one of the only Countrys to, quite rightly, make SONY pay for there inept online security.

#298 Posted by delta3074 (18104 posts) -

Apparently you don't know what a DDOS attack is right.? lol

PSN had a hack in 2011 yet it was xbox live who suffer constant credit card losses all gen last gen. lol

@darkangel115 said:

It has problems period.

'PSN had a hack in 2011 yet it was xbox live who suffer constant credit card losses all gen last gen. lol'

Not to the tune of 77 million dude.

'It has problems period.'

Not as many Problems as PSN has

It's not even debatable,SONY suffered far more from this DDOS attack than XBL did

Straight from the horses mouth

'Props to MS for giving us a challenge, good job. SONY, smh (shaking my head)'

Says it all really,lol

#299 Posted by clyde46 (46027 posts) -

People are defending a hack? Lawl.

#300 Edited by Shewgenja (8791 posts) -

@b4x said:

@Shewgenja said:

@RR360DD said:

FUD.

Safety = FUD?

If we want to judge products on company history, then the XBox OS and network would have more holes than swiss cheese. For whatever faults these two companies and products have, it's because mistakes were made and learned from. Let's not play this game.