PSN "Classics." Worst selection?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

EDIT: I originally posted this under the "best GTA thread" as I miss the top down perspective of the early GTA's, but have decided it was discussion worthy.

GTA1&2 got rated for PSN a couple years ago but strangely nothing ever came of it. Instead 90% of the "Classics" we do get are just trash or I've never heard of because:

1) They're Japanese import dogshit. Guess what, Japan? Most of your old shit games have aged HORRIBLY and there was usually a good reason those games never made it to the West.

2) They were shit to begin with. I still don't understand why the PS1 section is releasing steaming piles like Kickboxer, 5 Namco old school arcade ports, and the PS2 section seems to be obsessed with movie tie in games right now. The PS1&2 had so much better games.

Where is Colony Wars? Where is Syndicate Wars? Where is Einhander?

Is XBL's selection of classics this pathetic?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I like the PSN classics selection, and guess what nobody fuking cares if you don't like them, there is a simple solution for that: don't buy them then.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Japan's gen five games outclassed the West in so many ways.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I own quite a bit of PS1 classics from the Spyro games to the Crash games to MGS1 to Castlevania SOTN and even some RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Dragoon.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

All the platforms do such a shitty job with the classics they have access to.

Nintendo has been sitting on a fucking gold mine with Virtual Console, and has maybe delivered on what...a third of the potential behind that thing?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

I like the PSN classics selection, and guess what nobody fuking cares if you don't like them, there is a simple solution for that: don't buy them then.

That's exactly what I do. I check the PSN store every couple weeks usually to find they've added another pile in their Classics section. Thank you for your asshole-ish response.

@Blabadon said:

Japan's gen five games outclassed the West in so many ways.

I actually agree with this statement, but the games are certainly not in the PS1 Classics.

@Slashkice said:

The PS1 selection is fine. Get better taste.

PS2 section could be a lot better, I'll agree to that. Though it'll probably stay lacking since pubs want to sell you HD ports instead.

I disagree. Sure, the PS1 selection has all the big name titles like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, but it's missing the titles I mentioned. You would think with the insane popularity of the GTA franchise GTA1&2 would atleast be there.

@jg4xchamp said:

Nintendo has been sitting on a fucking gold mine with Virtual Console, and has maybe delivered on what...a third of the potential behind that thing?

I would have thought Nintendo would be on top of this giving the people that grew up with NES and SNES access to fondly remembered childhood memories. A real shame they're not.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

/end thread

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@Krelian-co said:

That's exactly what I do. I check the PSN store every couple weeks usually to find they've added another pile in their Classics section. Thank you for your asshole-ish response.

asshole-ish reply for asshole-ish thread, seems like you think psn should cater to your tastes instead of being diverse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Third is too generous. They fucking waste that potential.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@Boddicker said:
Where is Syndicate Wars?

GOG

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

man you are a newb

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wii U's Virtual Console is infinitely worse. They don't even have Mario 64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

There was no real excuse for there to not be the whole Wii VC catalog from day one. Not having N64 at all this late into the Wii U's life cycle is really inexcusable.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I dont play anything previous to gen 7 now. I cant go back. Too much to currently play in current gen.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Nintendo is a worse offender on this. The handling of the Wii U VC is just... baffling.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

This so much, except you're giving them too much credit with a third imo. Sony could push harder for more PS2 classics as well. They're doing okay with the PS1 classics (strictly okay with them; could have much more).

EDIT: actually the PS1 classics are a bit better than 'okay'

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dalger21

I know they need to hurry up and add Suikoden II.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@dalger21 said:

That's actually happening.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/22/suikoden-ii-likely-coming-to-playstation-network

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dalger21

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@dalger21 said:

That's actually happening.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/22/suikoden-ii-likely-coming-to-playstation-network

I know. Hasn't made its way to PSN yet tho.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy Tactics

Boom

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Randolph said:

Nintendo is a worse offender on this. The handling of the Wii U VC is just... baffling.

I know. I don't get the lack of N64. The release schedule is pathetic. Get the games out asap and lower the prices a TAD. They are trying to pull the slow release so they sell more of each game bullshit, but the games are priced poorly it won't work. If they were to reduce the cost and speed up the release schedule they'd bring in more cash.

...also, had the VC launched well with the console, and it retained Gamecube compatibility, I bet wiiu would be selling up there with ps4.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Yeah, I'd like to see Colony Wars on there too. And get G-Police up while they're at it.

The fact that many games are missing I imagine comes from outdated publishers, studios, IPs, the inability to get people who own substantial shares of the properties to come together and sign contracts necessary for royalties, for agreeing to allow them on the store. But for first party games like Colony Wars was published by Psygnosis, which is owned by Sony. Other games of theirs have made it up on PSN. It bugs me these games won't make it.

Some things baffled me, like them having Re-Loaded and not Loaded, They have WipeOut but not WipeOut XL. I'd love to see games like Alien Trilogy and Die Hard Trilogy. In the Hunt had to be one of my favorite side scrolling arcadie shooters. I'd love to see Johnny Bazookaton make it up (can still hear the soundrack in my head). No Fear Effect or the sequel.

With the Wii I just though Nintendo was slow and horrible and e-publishing, but sometimes I thought they held back on some things, like not releasing Mario All-Stars for SNES on Wii Shop in order to make money of the special limited edition anniversary edition. And before then to make sales off of the independent sale of each Super Mario Bros game from the NES section.

PS1 had so many great games it's a shame not seeing the ones I wanna play not up on the store. But, the PS3 is BC with PS1 games still, if you can obtain the discs then you should be good. Though I had compatibility on one of my favorite games. Return Fire won't play.

Anyhow, Sony isn't the only one with the opportunity to release games I wanna see. I'd love it if MS did an XBLA HD remake of Panzer Dragoon Orta, not gonna ever happen though. I'd love to see Nintendo release more stuff on their eShops, right now I'm itching to try Metroid Zero Misison. There always something.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah they need to get on adding the Wii U functionality to all their VC games. In any case, we still have access to every VC game on the Wii U, but only through the Wii menu.

Do they even have a single N64 game on the Wii U VC?

xh117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 xh117
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

I was actually going through the classics section the other day, PS2 section could be a lot better. The PS1 section isn't too bad, I got SOTN yesterday, played it on my vita.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Wtf wiius classic selection is far better than ps3 and you asked where is mario64 go Wii mode it has the entire Wii virtual console there

plus it has gba games and most importantly ps4 has no classic games so any comparison of wiiu to ps4 is irrelevant in this category. And PS3 should be compared with Wii but since Wii obviously owned ps3 nobody will do that they will bring wiiu into it FAce it Sony want you to rebut hd collections

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Wtf wiius classic selection is far better than ps3 and you asked where is mario64 go Wii mode it has the entire Wii virtual console there

plus it has gba games and most importantly ps4 has no classic games so any comparison of wiiu to ps4 is irrelevant in this category. And PS3 should be compared with Wii but since Wii obviously owned ps3 nobody will do that they will bring wiiu into it FAce it Sony want you to rebut hd collections

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

You think PlayStation Classics is bad, dude, you should see the Virtual Console.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Symphony of the Night available? Yep. Good. Carry on.

A lot of the early sojourns into 3D have dated terribly to be honest. It's a pity but there it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

PS2 one could use some more games but when all the Shin Megami Tensei (the best RPG franchise ever) games on the platform are available to buy for $10 each, I can't complain. SMT III: Nocturne is better than your favourite RPG.