PSA: You Can Get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition For Free.

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

Because you’re a passionate The Sims 2 player, we’re making The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection available free of charge to download to your Origin library. To add the game, just follow these steps:

1. Start by downloading and installing Origin. If you already have Origin you can skip to step 3.
  2. Not an Origin member? Create a free Origin Account to get in the game.
  3. Launch Origin and log into your Origin Account.
  4. From the ‘Games’ tab in the Origin menu, select ‘Redeem Product Code’ and enter the code
    I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

If you’re already an Origin member, you can also redeem your code online. Just visit the Origin code redemption page and log in to your Origin Account. Then enter I-LOVE-THE-SIMS in the ‘Product Code’ field.

Thanks for being a passionate The Sims fan, and enjoy your copy of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

This code will available for redemption until July 31st, 2014 at 10AM PDT.

Still the best Sims game on the market (Sims 3 was great, but Sims 2 was on another level entirely), now available with all the expansion packs for free, meaning it's actually a more full featured game than the upcoming Sims 4, available right now, for free.

Do note, though, that while you can redeem the code on both Windows and Mac OS X, The Sims 2, for some reason that is entirely beyond my comprehension, will not run on Mac (even though The Sims 3 does). So if you have a Mac and want to play Sims 2, better dig out that BootCamp partition.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28386 posts) -

Start by downloading and installing Origin. If you already have Origin you can skip to step 3.

Screw that...

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Start by downloading and installing Origin. If you already have Origin you can skip to step 3.

Screw that...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Origin on any level (yes, I know, screw EA and all that shit), but the client is nice, unobstrusive, runs in the background, and actually does a lot of things (such as download speeds) much better than Steam.

More importantly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting Origin to play some neat games. And The Sims 2 is one of the greatest games ever made.

#4 Posted by soulitane (14043 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Screw that...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Origin on any level (yes, I know, screw EA and all that shit), but the client is nice, unobstrusive, runs in the background, and actually does a lot of things (such as download speeds) much better than Steam.

More importantly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting Origin to play some neat games. And The Sims 2 is one of the greatest games ever made.

I'd argue the only problem with Origin is that EA has exclusive games for it meaning in certain parts of the world some games don't really go on sale or just not to the extent that the US gets. Steam doesn't really have that problem, since other sites are more than willing to sell steam keys for the same price as the US.

I picked it up, since I have no real reason not to. I'm not sure if I'll get around to playing it though.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28386 posts) -

@charizard1605: What with all of what I heard about Origin these past few years (and this was before my stance on EA since 2013 and Sim City), I still have no motivation to use it. As much as I love The Sims 2 (the last Sims PC game I played), not even getting that for free is motivating me to use it.

#6 Posted by gameofthering (10515 posts) -

Started downloading it last night, just in-case it was a mistake.

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (91188 posts) -

It's a shame that Sims 2 sucks.

Still, I'm not going to argue with free.

#8 Edited by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

No it does not.

No Sims game sucks. Sims 2 is in fact the epitome of the franchise.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (91188 posts) -

@charizard1605: HAHA... good one.

#10 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (382 posts) -

No Thanks and I agree with nintendoboy16, Fuck Origin.

#11 Edited by gameofthering (10515 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

No it does not.

I've only ever played it when my friends had it on the PS2.

Played the original on the PC and PS2.

EDIT: How do I get it to run at 1080P?

#12 Posted by speedfog (3464 posts) -

Done!

#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17846 posts) -

I rather wait for it to go On the House. So far, I have Dead Space, Plants and Zombies, BF3, and Peggle. I don't really see what's wrong with Origin. Seems non-obtrusive. I do keep it (along with Uplay and Steam) in Offline Mode most of the time. I don't have any client running unless I'm playing a game.

#14 Edited by Maroxad (8980 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

No it does not.

It certainly sucked at launch, that much is for sure.

Though after a bunch of expansion packs it easily became the pinnacle of the series, and Open For Business is by far the best expansion pack in the game. And yes, Origin gets too much hate. It has improved a lot since launch and while it is not as good of a service as Steam is, Origin has a few advantages over steam such as not spamming your inventory with trading cards every time you play a game, and that first month refund.

Sims 3 is mostly fun when starting out as a hobo and then become a bigger pimp than Yu from Persona 4. Impregnating every woman in town, while avoiding getting caught cheating all while your character does not given even the slightest bit (this lasts to the point where everyone is town is a descendant of my sim). But Sims 2 has the most personality and running as a con artist merchant managing 5 distinct business designed to rip off your consumers as much as possible, there are few experiences in gaming that beats that. Unfortunately there was no competiiton mechanics because it would have been even more fun if I could do anti competitive business tactics to run my competition to bankruptcy.

#15 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12211 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Screw that...

Agreed. 100%.

#16 Posted by yokofox33 (30489 posts) -

Thanks! I'll never say no to a free game. Thanks for the heads up!

#17 Posted by Zero_epyon (6364 posts) -

@charizard1605: I agree! I prefer 2 over 3.

#18 Edited by dommeus (9433 posts) -

Nice

#19 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3359 posts) -

EA giving something for free???? What??? I can hardly believe this.

btw sims 2 is the best in the series and has the most mods.

#20 Posted by BldgIrsh (3025 posts) -

No subscription is needed! Jokes aside.

I am fine with origin... I'd consider uplay as a pos.

#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26631 posts) -

Now I have both Sims 2 AND 3. I think 2 seems to have the best mods.

#22 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26054 posts) -

My only problem is I like it all under steam I don't want to have to use origin to get a game like this. xD I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty cool until I had to actually get off my ass and use origins for something other than Dead Space 3.

Origin itself is fine but I'm lazy and don't want to switch. :P

#23 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3186 posts) -

The Sims 2

The Sims 2: University

The Sims 2: Nightlife

The Sims 2: Holiday Party Pack

The Sims 2: Open for Business

The Sims 2: Family Fun Stuff

The Sims 2: Glamour Life Stuff

The Sims 2: Pets

The Sims 2: Seasons

The Sims 2: Celebration Stuff

The Sims 2: H&M Fashion Stuff

The Sims 2: Bon Voyage

The Sims 2: Teen Style Stuff

The Sims 2: FreeTime

The Sims 2: Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff

The Sims 2: IKEA Home Stuff

The Sims 2: Apartment Life

The Sims 2: Mansion & Garden Stuff.

BEST DEAL EVER

#24 Posted by Motokid6 (6446 posts) -

I may get this.. always liked the Sims. Sucks about Sims 4. There doing to it the same thing they did to SimCity.

#25 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26631 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

I may get this.. always liked the Sims. Sucks about Sims 4. There doing to it the same thing they did to SimCity.

Do it. I mean, It's freakin' FREE

#26 Posted by Heil68 (48440 posts) -

might have ti pick this up.

#27 Posted by nethernova (4323 posts) -

Can't wait to see some virtual people wash the dishes and go to work. Oh the excitement!

Seriously, never really got what people liked about the game. Redeemed it anyway. It's free.

#28 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Oh cool, thanks. Both me and my girl are downloading it now so we can play together.

#30 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17584 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Screw that...

Well, origin gives out free games (Dead Space, Battlefield 3, PvZ,...) but apart from that yeah, it's pretty useless.

#31 Posted by slaves (1440 posts) -

@charizard1605: Thanks for letting me know.

#32 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7633 posts) -

Thanks for letting us know. I am not a big fan of The Sims but heck it is free. I am sure I will mess around with it some.

#33 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7633 posts) -

Just noticed they are also giving away Peggle for free if anyone wants it.

#34 Posted by Motokid6 (6446 posts) -

@nethernova: It's pretty cool creating your family/friends and seeing them live through the generations. Thats what I always liked about it.

#35 Posted by jsolidus (171 posts) -

i thought they dropped support last year? installing the sims 2 on windows 8 was a hassle since EA did not have any updates or whatever for it. One of the reasons i stopped gaming with EA but ill still download a free game.

#36 Posted by lostrib (44058 posts) -

But I don't love the sims :(

Using that code be lying

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@lostrib said:

But I don't love the sims :(

You monster

#38 Posted by jsolidus (171 posts) -

how does origin work? do i have to have origin to play this version of the sims 2 or can i delete it after it downloads the game and still play the sims 2?

#39 Edited by santoron (8362 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

1. Start by downloading and installing Origin. If you already have Origin you can skip to step 3.

Heh, but srsly thanks for the tip. My wife will eat this up making little dream houses.

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@jsolidus said:

how does origin work? do i have to have origin to play this version of the sims 2 or can i delete it after it downloads the game and still play the sims 2?

You can play Sims 2 without ever booting up Origin- you'll need Origin to install it, but then you can just use your Start Menu to boot up the game for you, bypassing Origin entirely.

@santoron said:

Haha. But seriously, Origin isn't that bad. At least it's no uPlay :p

#41 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@jsolidus said:

I imagine you'll have to keep origin running in the background in order to execute this version of the sims 2 (sans hacks/cracks)

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@jsolidus said:

I imagine you'll have to keep origin running in the background in order to execute this version of the sims 2 (sans hacks/cracks)

Is that right? I just played Sims 3 without actually booting up Origin, by launching it straight from Launchpad (Mac).

#43 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@jsolidus said:

Is that right? I just played Sims 3 without actually booting up Origin, by launching it straight from Launchpad (Mac).

i'm not sure about the mac version of origin ... however i'd assume origin is still installed on your machine?

well, jsolidus could certainly try exiting origin, then playing sims 2. it might work but i suspect the client needs to be running on a windows machine - it does with the other origin games i've played.

but uninstalling origin, then playing the sims 2 - my prediction is, that's definitely not going to work!

it's possible that it does a 'client detect' or something, launches origin for you if origin's not running. maybe origin's clever enough to know that if it had to be launched, then it should close after the game is terminated.

overall though - for a robust experience i'd recommend running the origin client (kept installed) when running origin games.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@charizard1605 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@jsolidus said:

i'm not sure about the mac version of origin ... however i'd assume origin is still installed on your machine?

well, jsolidus could certainly try exiting origin, then playing sims 2. it might work but i suspect the client needs to be running on a windows machine - it does with the other origin games i've played.

but uninstalling origin, then playing the sims 2 - my prediction is, that's definitely not going to work!

it's possible that it does a 'client detect' or something, launches origin for you if origin's not running. maybe origin's clever enough to know that if it had to be launched, then it should close after the game is terminated.

overall though - for a robust experience i'd recommend running the origin client (kept installed) when running origin games.

Oh yes, I'm not sure the game would run WITHOUT Origin. I mean, I think it needs to be installed in any case.

I haven't tried bypassing Origin on Windows, so I'll try that later today (and hope Sims 2 doesn't crash again. lol) and see how that goes.

#46 Edited by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@jsolidus said:

yeah i have to have origins, sucks. plus the game is not working for me. gets to the blue screen and just stays there, i cant even go back to my desktop, so i had to restart my laptop. is there suppose to be a desktop icon for this. i dont see one

It should be on the Start Menu.

The game takes a VERY long time to load up the first time. Like, it could be 10 or 15 minutes, because it's basically loading up ALL the assets into your memory.

#47 Posted by jsolidus (171 posts) -

yeah i have to have origins, sucks. plus the game is not working for me. gets to the blue screen and just stays there, i cant even go back to my desktop, so i had to restart my laptop. is there suppose to be a desktop icon for this. i dont see one

@charizard1605 said:

@jsolidus said:

It should be on the Start Menu.

The game takes a VERY long time to load up the first time. Like, it could be 10 or 15 minutes, because it's basically loading up ALL the assets into your memory.

oh ok, just found the link, so i may not need origins. im trying place my old sims 2 files into the new game. ill try loading it up again after im done copying the files.

#48 Edited by blackace (21580 posts) -

Might give it a try when I get home. All those expansion might take awhile to download though. How many expansion did they have for Sims 2? Like 15 or 16? EA was charging like $29.99 for each. lol!!

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (62753 posts) -

@blackace said:

Might give it a try when I get home. All those expansion might take awhile to download though. How many expansion did they have for Sims 2? Like 15 or 16? EA was charging like $29.99 for each. lol!!

It's 12 GB, it shouldn't take you that long to get it lol

#50 Posted by lundy86_4 (44521 posts) -

Grabbed it, and i'll download it soon. I haven't played a Sims since the original... Plus, screw $70 for Sims 4 lol.