PS4's best game is here! Rogue Legacy HYPE!

• 119 results
#1 Edited by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

Ladies, gentleman and cretins of system wars... truly a day to behold... forever heralded henceforth as "Thank You Sony" day... Tomorrow, July 29th 2014 one of the Mount Rushmore Indies of all time drops on ALL Sony platforms...I give you...

What is Rogue Legacy?A rogue-"lite" game for PC, Mac and Linux.You will die, but your children will avenge you. They might be genetically deficient, but that's ok. You still love your colour-blind baby. Or do you?A procedurally generated castle. Every playthrough is different.Over 8 classes to choose from. Each class has unique abilities which change the way you play the game.Every time you play you get a little stronger. Never back to square 1.Find tons of loot and deck your dood OUT.Massive Skill tree? What? Yup.New game+? Zup? Yup.Equip runes and customize your character however you want. Wanna fly? GO FOR IT!Got a controller? Play with a controller. Big Picture ready!Fart Jokes. Or not... Depends on how much you hate children with I.B.S.Clowns.Available for the first time on console and handheld asCROSS BUY/CROSS SAVE across ALL SONY platforms. Wanna play it on vita? done.Wanna keep the fun rolling on ps4? sure, go ahead...PS3 owner? Yup you can play it here too...RIGHT NOW on PSN if you purchase the mighty Rogue Legacy for any Playstation device you will own it on all. currently 20% off on pre-orders before midnight which also gets you a dynamic wallpaper for ps3.When we consolites needed a hero... only one answered the call....

System War side note - Sony's commitment to indie was and is the primary reason I made my choice to go ps4 first. Congrats to any and all who get to finally play this gem. If ever there was a "just one more run" game, Rogue Legacy is it...

Pre order it here for your 20% off and extra goodies...

#2 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

lol :)

Good job mate.

#3 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

I have installed on my PC and still have only played a few mins... SMH

#4 Edited by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

LOVE me some Rogue Legacy. Shitty people don't like Rogue Legacy. Shitty people.

#5 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

Jesus, Eroica I think you need this....

http://locator.apa.org/

#6 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Hazy hazy hazy.... put down the FM2014 and get in the good fight brother! I bought my vita a couple weeks ago specifically with this game in mind. The cross buy, cross save between all platforms is EXACTLY what I want to see in the future of gaming. Im so psyched to get started tomorrow.

#7 Posted by gameofthering (10321 posts) -

Never played it before.

#8 Edited by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

LOVE me some Rogue Legacy. Shitty people don't like Rogue Legacy. Shitty people.

Beacon of Effin TRUTH!

Get some System Wars

#9 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

Have it on PC and played it a few times, i think it's just out of my league or i'm just getting too old for that kinda punishment. :P

#10 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Hazy hazy hazy.... put down the FM2014 and get in the good fight brother! I bought my vita a couple weeks ago specifically with this game in mind. The cross buy, cross save between all platforms is EXACTLY what I want to see in the future of gaming. Im so psyched to get started tomorrow.

Its really what i can squeeze into 15 mins at a time these days ...

#11 Posted by PapaTrop (1345 posts) -

Yay for more ports of old indie games.

#12 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Great looking thread, TC.

I am this close to clicking that link, even though I already own the game on Steam.

UPDATE: I clicked it. Backlog grows. WTF is wrong with me.

#13 Edited by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Jesus, Eroica I think you need this....

http://locator.apa.org/

#14 Posted by Heil68 (45220 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

maybe I should give it another try...with a trainer! :D

#15 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

Looks like crap...hermits and their indies...when will they learn.

..jk looks ok

#16 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

Great looking thread, TC.

I am this close to clicking that link, even though I already own the game on Steam.

Do it Do it Do it!!!! think of the glorious moment you find your first blueprint on your big screen... oh the pleasures to be had.

#17 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

Trying to divert my attention away from Resogun so you can backdoor me on the leaderboards. Such an elaborate, yet devious ploy! Curse you, TC!

#18 Posted by Gue1 (10214 posts) -

I'm not gonna pay $400 + $50 for PS+ to play shitty indy games bro. GTFO

#19 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

oh lordy.... well I would... but I already bought it on steam for like £3 ... and beat it :P good game though.... still waiting for good PS4 games... at least the Wii-U is a half-decent console atm.

#20 Edited by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

Trying to divert my attention away from Resogun so you can backdoor me on the leaderboards. Such an elaborate, yet devious ploy! Curse you, TC!

Damn it... you're on to me that quick? lol. You sir have my respect at REsogun... heres the thing though, im priming up for another run at the boards. oh and COOP city... we can crack top 100.

@papatrop said:

Yay for more ports of old indie games.

yay for a new group of folks getting exposed to a game thats better than 95% of AAA games that have come out over the past few years... Amen

@Gue1 said:

I'm not gonna pay $400 + $50 for PS+ to play shitty indy games bro. GTFO

Even when I talk nice about Sony, Gue takes issue... smh.

Sony blows dude. there... equilibrium

#21 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

Have it on PC and played it a few times, i think it's just out of my league or i'm just getting too old for that kinda punishment. :P

You and @Heil68 need to have another go at it... The games very design is built around dying being part of the game... thus the heirs that pick up where you left off... embrace the pain and feel the surge of godliness when you start bitch slapping them skeletons back... DO IT!

#22 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -

Looks like an ill attempt at a SNES game to me. Not the real thing.

BUT that's just how it looks. How does it play?

#23 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

@TheEroica: I have the next couple days off and plan on gaming pretty hard, hit me up anytime. Top 100 seems pretty reasonable, we just have to be clicking during the same game. Easier said than done, but I have faith. :)

#24 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@TheEroica: How about no. Hahaha

#25 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

it plays tight as f#%@... The SNES is jelly over Rogue Legacy... seriously one of the tightest playing games you'll play in todays day and age.

#26 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

it plays tight as f#%@... The SNES is jelly over Rogue Legacy... seriously one of the tightest playing games you'll play in todays day and age.

Then I just might give it a crack. But beating Resogun? Hard one. It actually is the best PS4 game atm. And by a wide margin.

#27 Posted by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

You monster.

It's so good.

#28 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: I couldn't agree more about resogun... I happily handed my money over on that expansion and what do you know? The expansion augments what that game does so effing perfectly. Survival and demolition are amazing. The ship creator with Stat adjustment is so much win... and the balancing of boss exploits and general gameplay fits perfectly. Lastly, local coop... I actually shouted for joy when I realized they had added that in. Fantastic game, fan servuce and expantions . It is most certainly the very best game on ps4 currently.

#29 Posted by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Doesn't look much like an SNES title at all. The art style is completely modern.

It's pretty unique but I'd say castlevania is a good comparison. What's cool about RL is that when you die, you get a new character with crazy, random pros and cons, like vertigo which makes the whole game upside down, or gigantism which makes the character like twice the normal size (including the sword so that means larger swing range). You also get a lot of gold which is why it's so replayable, you can just keep looting and dying again and again and it'll be worth it because you got gold and were able to upgrade certain things that stay with you (so it's it's not a traditional permadeath type of game).

Probably the best 2D platformer around, at least for me.

#30 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@scottpsfan14: I couldn't agree more about resogun... I happily handed my money over on that expansion and what do you know? The expansion augments what that game does so effing perfectly. Survival and demolition are amazing. The ship creator with Stat adjustment is so much win... and the balancing of boss exploits and general gameplay fits perfectly. Lastly, local coop... I actually shouted for joy when I realized they had added that in. Fantastic game, fan servuce and expantions . It is most certainly the very best game on ps4 currently.

The debate wether it beats TLOU R is a big one. The supposed GOTG? or a damn good indie game that should actually get 10 times the recognition it actually gets.

#31 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Doesn't look much like an SNES title at all. The art style is completely modern.

It's pretty unique but I'd say castlevania is a good comparison. What's cool about RL is that when you die, you get a new character with crazy, random pros and cons, like vertigo which makes the whole game upside down, or gigantism which makes the character like twice the normal size (including the sword so that means larger swing range). You also get a lot of gold which is why it's so replayable, you can just keep looting and dying again and again and it'll be worth it because you got gold and were able to upgrade certain things that stay with you (so it's it's not a traditional permadeath type of game).

Okay then mr artist. Sorry gawd!! But it does look like a 16 bit game in higher resolution. It really does. Also wake me up when Sonic 3 is beaten for 2D platforming. Or Donkey Kong Country.

#32 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: it's one world biggest apple against another world's biggest orange... so difficult to compare yet both possibly deserved.

#33 Edited by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Okay then mr artist. Sorry gawd!! But it does look like a 16 bit game in higher resolution. It really does. Also wake me up when Sonic 3 is beaten for 2D platforming. Or Donkey Kong Country.

C'mon man since when is this the kind of stuff you would see in the 90s:

Pixelated =/= 16 bit

#34 Edited by mems_1224 (47282 posts) -

Man, I really need to beat that game. Im on the last boss if I remember right.

#35 Posted by Senor_Kami (8428 posts) -

@parkurtommo: Looks like some 90s PC platformer to me. I feel like it's a lame semantics argument when people say this isn't 16-bit... as if like 17-bit or whatever is some radically different thing, wholly unlike anything ever seen before.

#36 Posted by enzyme36 (1583 posts) -

This game is great! Good job PSN

#37 Edited by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@Senor_Kami said:

@parkurtommo: Looks like some 90s PC platformer to me. I feel like it's a lame semantics argument when people say this isn't 16-bit... as if like 17-bit or whatever is some radically different thing, wholly unlike anything ever seen before.

My main point wasn't even regarding integers, it's the simple fact that the art style (the shapes, the use of color, animations) is at least post 2000.

It's not even semantics, differences in integer mean higher value range... For example the 16 bit (also known as high-color) palette is as follows:

Where as true color (24 bit) has a much wider range:

It's literally the entire rainbow, no noticeable limits.

16 bit has 65536 color variations, 24 bit has 16,777,216 color variations. Still semantics?? :s

#38 Edited by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

Lol indies... am I right or what?. :P

#39 Edited by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

Pixelated =/= 16 bit

Him dismissing the game as "not 90s" so it must not be good for emulating 90s games may be silly as fuck, but let's not kid ourselves. They made rogue like Castlevania. Everything it does is building from things Castlevania did on the NES. Regardless of the actual tech behind it, the look, the tone, the feel, the style of game it is, and who it is meant to appeal for people who are fond of the old school 2d platforming/action games.

Regardless Rogue Legacy is delightful.

#40 Posted by RossRichard (2394 posts) -

I played that game a year ago on my PC. Not really my thing.

#41 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

Rogue legacy bored the hell out of me, I liked the premise but the execution just didn't click with me. Really hated the generic level design.

The first few times I played it I had some fun, after that it just got so blah.

#42 Posted by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@parkurtommo said:

Pixelated =/= 16 bit

Him dismissing the game as "not 90s" so it must not be good for emulating 90s games may be silly as fuck, but let's not kid ourselves. They made rogue like Castlevania. Everything it does is building from things Castlevania did on the NES. Regardless of the actual tech behind it, the look, the tone, the feel, the style of game it is, and who it is meant to appeal for people who are fond of the old school 2d platforming/action games.

Although I did grow up playing Super Mario World on the SNES, I have absolutely no nostalgia or desire for 16 bit/90s style platformers. I just knew that this game was difficult, rewarding, and it got a lot of attention around release. I think it's meant to appeal to anyone who likes a challenge, and what a perfect time to make such a game in a post-dark souls era.

The only thing blatantly retro about Rogue Legacy is the soundtrack, and some enemy designs/enemy behavior.

#43 Posted by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Although I did grow up playing Super Mario World on the SNES, I have absolutely no nostalgia or desire for 16 bit/90s style platformers. I just knew that this game was difficult, rewarding, and it got a lot of attention around release. I think it's meant to appeal to anyone who likes a challenge, and what a perfect time to make such a game in a post-dark souls era.

The only thing blatantly retro about Rogue Legacy is the soundtrack, and some enemy designs/enemy behavior.

Your lack of nostalgia doesn't invalidate the part where the game blatantly "homages" (it homages in the same way that Tarantino does homages in films, hence quotation marks) Castlevania. From the boss fights, the dungeon designs, the enemy designsthe actual goal of the overall game, the design structure, even the rpg build is right in line with post SoTN Castlevania games. The games "original" aspects come from the stuff that stems from the rogue-like part of the game: the perks, the difference ancestors (even that shit is a joke on Castlevania's dumb ass plot at this point), but the full on game: Yeah it's leaning heavily on Castlevania.

Your lack of nostalgia just points out that the game is good on its own merits regardless. But to say it's not clearly showing some love to a specific game and a specific time period would be false. I

#44 Edited by parkurtommo (27247 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Your lack of nostalgia doesn't invalidate the part where the game blatantly "homages" (it homages in the same way that Tarantino does homages in films, hence quotation marks) Castlevania. From the boss fights, the dungeon designs, the enemy designsthe actual goal of the overall game, the design structure, even the rpg build is right in line with post SoTN Castlevania games. The games "original" aspects come from the stuff that stems from the rogue-like part of the game: the perks, the difference ancestors (even that shit is a joke on Castlevania's dumb ass plot at this point), but the full on game: Yeah it's leaning heavily on Castlevania.

Your lack of nostalgia just points out that the game is good on its own merits regardless. But to say it's not clearly showing some love to a specific game and a specific time period would be false. I

I guess you're right. It still bothers me that someone would think this game is an "ill attempt at an SNES game". :p He said it looked like that... And well, I think the art style definitely diferentiates it self from SNES platformers like castlevania. An actual example of a game trying to emulate 1:1 the SNES or even 8 bit feel is Shovel Knight, and there you can actually see an effort to use a somewhat limited color range which makes it look 8 bit.

#45 Edited by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I guess you're right. It still bothers me that someone would think this game is an "ill attempt at an SNES game". :p He said it looked like that... And well, I think the art style definitely diferentiates it self from SNES platformers like castlevania. An actual example of a game trying to emulate 1:1 the SNES or even 8 bit feel is Shovel Knight, and there you can actually see an effort to use a somewhat limited color range which makes it look 8 bit.

The ignorance of the presentation being an issue I can get. And yes Shovel Knight is a better example of a game where the look of the game is definitely emulating a specific time period out right. Though to be fair Shovel Knight's gameplay is actually capable of standing on its own merits, without being just an obvious "oh they made rogue like Castlevania". That game has loose comparisons to Megaman and the like, but otherwise it's just taking old staples, and doing them again in clever ways. Rogue Legacy is more blatant about which source it wants to show the most love.

And what Eroica is going to do is not double dip on Rogue Legacy, but go play Shovel Knight, because only shitty people dislike Shovel Knight.

#46 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

Never played it

#47 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16659 posts) -

Is this something that fits the Vita, i.e. something that is fun in short bursts ?

#48 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

@TheEroica: oh well done sir. Very well done.

#49 Edited by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: already dipped on rogue... and yes, shovel knight is going to be my next steam purchase. I keep watching gameplay vids and it looks so good....

Two words champ... Axiom Verge

I'm giddy with excitement.

#50 Posted by TheEroica (13717 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: oh hell yes... it's so accessible that it can be played and enjoyed on handheld with ease. Matter of fact, and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the built the console version around the vita controls... Dat cross buy though... gonna play a ton of this game... again.