PS4/Xbox One owners - which is it, is 30fps "more cinematic" or is 60fps better all around?

• 84 results
mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll PS4/Xbox One owners - which is it, is 30fps "more cinematic" or is 60fps better all around? (73 votes)

30 fps is more cinematic and provides a better gaming experience 5%
I prefer 30 fps for another reason (Details below) 3%
60 fps is better for video games because of more fluid action and faster response times 86%
I prefer 60 fps for another reason (Details below) 5%

I've noticed a tonal shift from many console owners recently since The Last of Us Remastered devs announced 60fps as their target frame rate. At first, next-gen console owners seemed to be firmly against 60 fps, especially with The Order devs and their "more cinematic" press release. Then, TLOU was shown at E3 and all of a sudden PS4 owners were saying how amazing 60 fps looks compared to 30 fps.

What do you think? Do you prefer 30 fps or 60 fps in games, and why?

• 
SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

60fps is always preferable. When playing games on my PC I refuse to play anything at less than 60fps since I have the option to - sometimes this means taking a few graphics settings down in demanding games like Crysis 3, but I will pretty much always choose 60fps over maxing out a game. It's just smoother, looks better, is more responsive, and feels more natural.

Having said that, 30fps isn't a deal breaker by any means. I definitely notice the difference once I start playing a console game that's at 30fps after playing a PC game, but it's never taken actually taken out the enjoyment of playing Uncharted, Halo, or any other console game. I would prefer if they were in 60fps, but once I've been playing for a few minutes I'm not even paying attention anymore.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

Always depends on the game. If the next Gears of War game is 30fps , it wouldn't matter because all of the other 360 Gears games were 30fps. Better be 1080p though. I care most about lighting and detail in terms of visuals.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Most 60fps games with people generally look weird to me. Literally everything that moves looks fake and unnatural. I think that if a game is going for any shred of realism in its visual then 60fps completely throws that out the window. Some games do it fine though. I believe Street Fighter 4 is 60 and that looks great, although it's not going for any shred of realism. I think Marvel vs Capcom 3 is 60fps and that's one where I don't like how it moves but it isn't as bad as stuff like Call of Duty. I think the divide on those two is that Street Fighter is totally stylized in every way, Marvel has somewhat realistic character designs for characters but the actual actions on screen are ridiculous, meanwhile Call of Duty shoots for realistic characters and realistic movement. The more realism you go for, the worse 60fps looks.

30 just looks like regular stuff to me. It's not like a movie but it does look like a live TV show. Something well animated moves the way I'd expect it to in real life and doesn't have any of the fakeness I associate with 60fps.

I'd prefer 30fps. I've played tons of sub 60fps games and they were totally fine. Totally fine gameplay + non-crappy looking motion is a win.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Let me settle it once and for all, 60 fps is a must for multiplayer games. But for single player games I don't care, 30 fps is fine and yes it looks more like a movie, but if its 60 fps for single player its fine too.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

60 fps is a must for racing and fps games.

Other titles can get away with 30 fps if the game isn't all that fast paced and it's mostly for immersion.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

I'm just gonna leave this here.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#58 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@hiphops_savior said:

Another reason why 30fps isn't an option.

OoT is 30 FPS. All of the greatest games of all time on consoles have been 30 fps for the most part. No gameplay hindrances have been reported with all of them. Stop overreacting.

In the case of OoT, the original version ran at a glorious 16-24fps. 30FPS is an improvement by comparison.

Does it excuse Order 1866 for running at only 30fps for "cinematic" purposes?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Here's the reality, not all games need 60 FPS.

Some genres do. Fighting games, action games (Ninja Gaiden), and twitch shooters should be 60 frames. Other than that, it's not a big deal if a game runs at 30 FPS.

Other than that, it's not a huge deal.

Hit it right on the head. In fact I don't like the look of movies on the new LED's with the super high refresh rate. It makes everything look cheap like it was shot on video (video is 60 FPS and Film is 24). As mentioned, the only time I truly prefer 60fps is for fighters like Street fighter or perhaps CoD. Everything else, who gives a shit?

So to answer your question TC for a single player experience I would prefer 1080/30fps but for something competitive like a fighter or twitch shooter I could deal with a rez drop for higher fps.

We all know what this thread is really about though. It's about the fact that TLoU remastered is about to shit on Crysis3 and Hermits are going to have a meltdown when they realize their coveted 360 port is not only not graphics king, it's not even the best looking game from last gen.

Vs

Windows fanboys are about to get pounded out ;)

Cinematics vs gameplay? Try harder

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

If the game can have better animation, visuals, physics, and more, when using 30fps, I prefer that. But of course, it would have to be stable, not drops much under 30fps. On last gen consoles people seem to prefer COD's 60fps and lower latency over Battlefield's more visual pleasing 30fps, but with the better visuals, sound, and the more realistic feel in the Battlefield games, I enjoy those games alot more.

There is absolute no reason in my mind to have games like Uncharted and TLOU in 60fps, what's important in those games are a stable framerate, and awesome visuals and animation.

Sports games must be 60fps though.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

Prefer 60fps, obviously, but don't really care on console. Just make the fps stable.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I don't mind 30, except for a few genres.

RAD's excuse is laughable though. They're just trying to push graphics as hard as they possibly can.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

Movies are played at 24.1 fps, not 30 fps.

But movies =/= games.

60 fps is obvioulsy better than 30 fps, but jesus the difference is much smaller than you guys make it seem. As a PC gamer, I've had the "choice" between 60fps at medium graphics and 30 fps with ultra graphics, and I pick ultra high graphics 10 out of 10 times.

When I bought my high end PC in 2009, there wasn't a single game I couldn't max it, because I was fine with 31 fps on Metro 2033 or 40 fps on Crysis 1. Even to this date, 5 years later I haven't upgraded it since and run all my games in 1080p, though there are plenty of games that I can't max out anymore, I still aim for the best graphics @ 30 fps stable, which usually ends up being medium-high mixes, or sometimes still maxed out.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 freedomfreak
@scottpsfan14 said:

But does that really matter? There are plenty of games 30fps that are really good games and because The Order is strategically going for the filmic look, they get lauged at for targeting 30fps. Why not laugh at 90% of console games since the PS1?

The reason I laugh at them instead of other developers, is because they claim it's for a "cinematic effect". Something I don't see other developers come up with, because they don't feel the need to justify their 30 with some lame excuse.

Not to mention those black bars. Again, for "cinematic" effect.

I'm not saying the game will be bad because it runs at 30. I'm saying their excuse is laughable.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@freedomfreak said:

RAD's excuse is laughable though. They're just trying to push graphics as hard as they possibly can.

But does that really matter? There are plenty of games 30fps that are really good games and because The Order is strategically going for the filmic look, they get lauged at for targeting 30fps. Why not laugh at 90% of console games since the PS1?

Because it is bullshit. If they could make the order 60fps, they would. They simply couldn't achieve it, and Sony told them to come up with some excuse to not look bad.

But since anyone with a brain saw past it, they got laughed at. Honestly, it was simply more wood for teh fire, considering the game's increased grey pallete, black bars, and, ofcourse, extreme lack of gameplay and pathetic attempt at being a movie instead of a proper game.

LOL, "strategic".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

60 is better than 30. There is not a single advantage to playing in 30 over 60.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

It makes everything look cheap like it was shot on video (video is 60 FPS and Film is 24).

Wrong.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 freedomfreak

@scottpsfan14 said:

Yeah, but I look at it like this. The only reason it would be 'laughable' is because it may be an excuse that they can't get the PS4 to run at full 1080p, 30/60fps. But we don't know how much their SDK and their programmers can get from the PS4. Look at Uncharted 4. That trailer was running on a PS4 in 1080p 60fps using in game graphics according to ND, Eurogamer and other developers/friends of ND.

So in short, I really do think that The Order resolution and framerate was a choice and not a failure. Uncharted 4 trailer being 1080p 60fps real time proves this.

Look, I know this sounds like major damage control or something, but It just gets boring when people constantly use multiplats as an example of what a console is capable of (BF4 and Watch Dogs etc). Console exclusives don't play by the same rule as multiplats in the sense that they get a full coding budget for that one platform so they can get closer to maxing it out. This is what we will see with The Order, UC4, BloodBorne, DriveClub etc. And on the ONE as well. Expect Halo 5 to blow away the multiplats on the Xbox by a great margin.

And it's still a lame excuse. Have your game run at 30. Fine. I don't care, but don't try and cover it up by saying you're making a "cinematic" game.

I'll wait for proper gameplay until I judge the next Uncharted. I need more than some vague, lifeless cinematic. In-game or not.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@freedomfreak said:

Because it is bullshit. If they could make the order 60fps, they would. They simply couldn't achieve it, and Sony told them to come up with some excuse to not look bad.

But since anyone with a brain saw past it, they got laughed at. Honestly, it was simply more wood for teh fire, considering the game's increased grey pallete, black bars, and, ofcourse, extreme lack of gameplay and pathetic attempt at being a movie instead of a proper game.

LOL, "strategic".

Problem is that you live in the land of PC, and how hardware performs on a PC is not how the same powered hardware performs on a console. And make no mistake, the difference isn't minor, it's substantial. The Order may well not be able to reach 60fps with the same graphics, we can't know this. But they were going for a filmic look. 30fps does make for a better filmic look than 60fps.

You talk like you know a damn thing about it too. All this 'black bars, fog, greyscale, 30fps' if fuel for trolls. Well explain Uncharted 4 visuals?

We don't know if Uncharted will actually 60fps, how open it's levels are, and much more. Until the game is released, the'res no argument.

Regarding the hardware, i know the PS4 isn't that powerfull. Like i said, it's amazing CGI level visual detail is thanks to cut backs in gneral world and level design.

The cutscenes might be better at 30, but gameplay, considering the thrid person shooting mechanics, is simply better at 60. There is no argument about this.

If they could manage 60, they would have. Another bullet point for Sony obsession with resolution and frame rates, specially after that Watch Doge flop. If you believe they went with 30 if they could reach 60, you're simply delusional.

At any rate, TLOU will be a good way to measure of UC4 might have a chance at being 60fps.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

We don't know if Uncharted will actually 60fps, how open it's levels are, and much more. Until the game is released, the'res no argument.

Regarding the hardware, i know the PS4 isn't that powerfull. Like i said, it's amazing CGI level visual detail is thanks to cut backs in gneral world and level design.

The cutscenes might be better at 30, but gameplay, considering the thrid person shooting mechanics, is simply better at 60. There is no argument about this.

If they could manage 60, they would have. Another bullet point for Sony obsession with resolution and frame rates, specially after that Watch Doge flop. If you believe they went with 30 if they could reach 60, you're simply delusional.

At any rate, TLOU will be a good way to measure of UC4 might have a chance at being 60fps.

Uncharted 4 is currently being targeted at 60fps. They have released a trailer captured directly from the PS4 running it in real time in 60fps. ND has a video of it on their site in full 60fps (in google chrome). It might not be in the final game, but they have probably made all the game levels by now, and tested the game and they are still saying 60 fps is their target. So they must be confident they can achive it.

Also, regarding the hardware, no PS4 is no high end PC, sure, but it has an API that can fully max out the hardware that Naughty Dog actually made. So they know the hardware more than anybody else. Console performace of the same piece of hardware is worlds apart from performance through Direct X PC. In other words, A 7850 could not run Uncharted 4 like PS4 will through Direct X. No where near.

Watch Dogs was a Ubisoft multiplat. Need I say more? It didn't even begin to utilize the PS4 at low level. Pointless using multiplats as any indication of what exclusive titles will look like. Basically, If WD was created on PS4 only, it would easily be 1080p 60fps at max settings on PC. Sound illogical? yeah, maybe to a PC centric person such as yourself.

I don't care what it's targetting. Until i see the final released game, i don't give a damm. My point about Wash Dogs is that Sony was, and is, obsessed with res and frames, so it was quick to pull that bullshit "1080p/60fps" on it. Like i said, TLOU remaster will be a good way to gouge if UC4 will be STABLE 60fps. Doing 60 while nothing happens on screen is easy. Higher frames are important in the middle of quicker combat situations, so dipping to 45 avg, like Shadow Fail during action is not that great.

As for WD being 60fps if PS4 only. HAHAHAHA. Right, tell that to Infamous SS. I haven't played the actual game, but apparently, Seattle is smaller than Chicago, if those that say that it's close to the size of IF1. Not only that, every time i see videos of Infamous, the streets are deserted, with new npcs and some cars roaming around.

So, if a game with a smaller map and less on-screen AI is doing 30fps, with dips to 20 in many action sequences (sometimes actually goes to 40, surprisingly), i dont' see Watch Dogs beign 60fps if it was a PS4 exclusive. Keep in mind, i'm not actually bashing the game itself.

You're fanboyism shows.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

I think it depends on the type of game - you wouldn't want Forza or GT running at 30fps, but other types of games may look better at 30fps.

No games look better at 30fps. 30 fps is a blurfest with choppy animations.

@Nightflash28 said:

I honestly don't care to much. As long as the game doesn't start to stutter... 30, 60, 120 fps, whatever.

But for the people that claim BS on the "cinematic" experience: watch The Hobbit in the high framerate version. It looks so damn cheap and it really does not feel like a cinema movie anymore, but a cheap TV production. I don't see why the same logic doesn't apply to games, especially if the dev's intention is to emulate the look and feel of a film.

Playing a game is far different from watching a movie. One of the most important aspects of a game is immersion. Higher fps gives more lifelike animations which results in more immersion.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

30 fps doesn't bother me for certain games. Fighting games on the other hand, seem completely unplayable once they dip below 60 fps.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Its a fuzzy boundary for me. I love 30fps but sometimes games will take a dip below 24fps and really stutter. At least with 60fps the dip won't be as noticeable.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Higher FPS also reduces input lag. 30fps will not feel as responsive as 60fps which will break immersion.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Anyone stating they prefer 30FPS over 60FPS for gaming is either a loon, lying or just plain blind. I don't think it's that big a deal if a game is 30 (it's playable, IMO) and I doubt most people have a TV with that high a refresh rate anyway (I could be wrong) so when it comes to console games it's almost unnecessary.

Now TV and film is a different story; I cannot stand the look of a high Hz TV while watching pretty much anything. Everything looks like a soap opera. Ew.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

@Pray_to_me said:

It makes everything look cheap like it was shot on video (video is 60 FPS and Film is 24).

Wrong.

Isn't videotape 60fps interlaced?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@topgunmv said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Wrong.

Isn't videotape 60fps interlaced?

fields, not frames. max frames is 30 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Signal_standards a deinterlace will reveal 30 frames.

i've had experience recording 60 fps gameplay to vhs tape and playing it back, the tape is definitely not a 60 fps medium!

i believe P2M is talking about the soap opera effect; they're typically shot in 30 fps, giving them a different look to films - yadda yadda yadda.

anyway i'm on a 144 Hz display now. it's lovely.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Cinematic 30 fps is just bullshit for games which are interactive unlike movies.

On motion blur heavy LCD displays 30 fps is probably not that much of a problem, but on my Plasma HDTV which has a ridiculous low response time, 30 fps looks choppy, I can see individual frames when turning, it's often not enjoyable unless I turn on Intelligent Frame Creation which introduces input lag.