PS4/XB1: Is the performance gap a big deal?

#101 Edited by tormentos (17327 posts) -

Not really. If someone is choosing the PS4 over the Xbone, I'd hope it is because the system has more games that he/she personally wants, and not over some measly performance gap.

But what if the person (majority now) want to play COD,BF4 and multiplatforms..?

They are superior on PS4 and up until last month it was $100 cheaper to.

#102 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42654 posts) -

Basing a purchasing decision practically entirely on a console's specs is inherently silly. Which system has the games you want? Buy that system or wait till the system does have the games.

#103 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42654 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Infamous is an open world game, albeit, somewhat deserted in it's streets from the videos i've seen.

Infamous 3 not deserted. Please don't judge a game by whatever videos or pictures you've seen. There's plenty of pictures and videos that prove otherwise, so anecdotal evidence based on whatever it was you exposed yourself isn't cutting the mustard. It doesn't matter if it's Titanfall, Mario Kart, or Infamous. No sense in making statements like that if you haven't qualified them by playing the product. It just adds to the litter of misinformation we find every few months with new accounts constantly popping up in SW making statements like this.

If you haven't played a game, in this case Infamous, you shouldn't throw out misinformation. Especially considering the fanboy "deserted" fallacious myth was exposed and proven repeatedly to be a myth after the game released by those that did play and complete the game. I own all the machines since launch over multiple gens and playing PC I too I used to wonder myself if the Infamous 3 game was going to be deserted based on idiot fanboys doctoring shots and conjecture, but I beat the game and I can tell you that it's all BS. It's made up fanboy bull from before the game released and it's that sort of bull that many of us use to figure out what kinds of users we are dealing with here in this rambunctious forum (Those that cling to myths and lies and those that speak on what they actually know).

And don't forget clinging to conspiracies.

#104 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Considering the gap in sales(4 mill) I'd say its a big deal.

#105 Edited by SerOlmy (1663 posts) -

As a PC gamer I have to say it boils down more to 1st party titles to me. I have really been trying to come up with a reason other than the performance gap to buy a PS4, but they simply have ZERO 1st party games I am interested in. Especially shooters, Sony has nothing that comes close to either Halo or Gears. Not that I play Gears, but I did enjoy the last Halo. It bugs me that the performance gap is so high, but when there are no 1st party games you want on one system it makes the decision more straight forward at least.

Personally I am not impressed with either system being a PC gamer with decent hardware. I can do much better visuals on all the multiplats anyway. As someone else said neither of them has decent hardware, it is just that the PS4 is less of a joke in terms of visuals. What it boils down to for me is there is no "killer app" for either system yet and we are a year after releases, and the big games are still 6+ months away at minimum. I bought a 360 last gen to play Mass Effect, there is nothing on the horizon like that to get me to open my wallet at this point on either system.

I'll probably wait until Halo 5 comes out to make a decision, I was planning on making a decision and buying a new console near XMas to play Unity. But Ubi has since stated that it wont have competitive multiplayer (which is why I was going to buy the console version), so now I am going to buy it for my PC. I'd wager there are a lot of people in the same boat as me and it is going to take a really impressive 1st party title to get us to jump to one console or the other.

#106 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1580 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Regarding your point about the PC performance, not only has it been proven alot of times that a mid perdormance PC will do better, but even then, PC has options. If it's not 60 stable on PC, you can still lower the res or settings to do so.

And so what you're saying is that, the PS4 is stronger than the XB1. But, it's still not strong enough to keep 60fps without dips. In other words, they both failed at it and if you really want the 60fps experience in Sniper Elite, you should buy a PC. Yes, i know.

Look dude, if the XB1 was stronger, the arguments would shift around. Don't believe me? Last gen cows bragged about how "we don't pay for multiplayer", and now it's "well atleast PS+ is a better service". And yes, i know there's hypocrisy on all sides.

The point is, the people who truly, honestly can spot these differences by simply playing and who truly care about them, about the tech behind these games, are NEVER going to game primarily on a static, non upgradeable machine that doesn't even allow a resolution option.

So to concluse with the point of the TC's thread, the PS4 being stronger should have almost no effect on ones decision of which console to buy. Sometimes yes, like i guess maybe MGS V (weird IMO, because MGS is a PS franchise), but most of the games are on pc, and have options on PC.

No no no no....

Lowering resolution to gain frames doesn't put you in a better position than console gamer,in fact you are the same but on opposite side.

In consoles frames are trade for image quality and resolution,in PC if you trade resolution for frames you are doing the same just having a different trade off so you are no better.

You know that argument makes no sense. Stop using Sniper Elite. Did you forget BF4, WD, Thief, etc? My PC can run WD at 1080p, max, at around the same framne rate as consoles. A mid range PC is stronger and will give you a "better" experience. If you want everything, max res, setting and fps, at the same time, you can upgrade.

On consoles you're stuck with what developers say. On PC, if you don't care for a particular setting, you tone it down if you want better performance, and vice versa. So, it's better and gives you more options. You know this is how it is, stop trying to go against it.

Just like the 680GTX wasn't strong enough to play it without dips,in the setting DF used,so once how many people on steam have higher than 680GTX GPU.? If those over the PS4 are a 12% or something like that and the PS4 is like an R265,imagine how sad it most be for PC gamers,going down to 900p on PC to keep a rock solid 60 all the time,is call a TRADE OFF you are in no better position than console gamers.

They all failed even the 680GTX,sure you have settings to play on the 680gtx,but you are playing trading something for something else,in the PS4 and xbox one case the xbox one failed even more V-synch drops to 30 lock,which make the gap even bigger.

Not only fell behind in frames image quality wasn't the same either,look at how close the PS4 is to the 680GTX running the game on Ultra now look at the xbox one in the middle,and to think that most people payed $100 more make it worse to swallow,no matter what i would never pick an R250X for the same price of a R265 period and i am sure all hermits would not either.

So, that tiny rock portion is such a determinign factor between the XB1 and the PS4 huh? Ok.

Go to 1:50, and see for yourself (set it to HD ofcourse). Equal to PC huh?

Exclusive on PS3 mopped the floor with the xbox 360 ones all generation long,in fact the PS3 has more graphics awards in games than the xbox 360,the xbox 360 had the edge in multiplatforms because.

1-The PS3 was ultra hard to code.

2-Developers would not spend more on the PS3 version when the 360 version would sold better.

3-Most games the xbox 360 was the lead platform.

The PS3 did how ever had a few exclusives that were superior so not all of them were superior on xbox 360.PSN+ has been better than live since before the PS4 came out,PSN+ didn't start with the PS4 it started with the PS3 on 2010 dude,and was a better service because allow to get 2 games per month,when MS charged you for nothing,online play behind a pay wall add nothing to PSN+.

You should drop the charade lemming,on one side you want to pass PC as stronger than the PS4,but at the same time you want people to ignore how the PS4 is stronger than the xbox one is pathetic.

Lemming huh? I mainly support PC, but the XB1 looks to be to be having better games with more variety and non graphic obsessions on the horizon. Atleast, for me that is.

The difference, like i told you, between consoles and PC, is that a PC can be as strong as you like, and even the lower mid tier rigs can offer a better experience than a console. There's also a difference between a PC that can do 4k, while running the game maxed out at 60fps without dips, and a console that at 1080p, high settings, does 30/45-50fps, if that much. I'm speaking of multiplats ofcourse.

And again, not that you need to buy one of these PC's. Just that if you really can tell such microscopic differences, than bragging about 1080p, high seetings, a few random low textures, and 45fps is, well, pretty stupid.

BTW, care to tell why nobody noticed BF Hardline was 900p?

Or why nobody noticed KZ Shadow Fall's 1080i resolution?

Or Infamous SS's frame rate rise when at 40?

Or why we even need DF to take pics to even find out where the PS4 beats the XB1 in graphical quality, lighting, shadows, whatever?

Oh right, i already told you. These differences are nearly impossible to stop while you're too busy playing a game and having fun, and if you care about it, you should be PC gaming.

Tormentos, this is going to sound elitist, but the reality is that consoles gamers who brag about their hardware, while it not only is already outdated, but can't even be changed or upgraded, and bitch about resolution and graphics, while not only needing outside sources to point them out to them, and while not even being able to change them, are morons.

My PC isn't even that great, so i don't brag about it because i know there's people with much, much better PC's, and i know my exprience is not the true, "definitive" one.

The PS4 is stronger than teh XB1. Pure and simple. And the differences in multiplats are small. Pure and simple.

#107 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4077 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Infamous struggles above 30fps. It's really not subjective. Drive Club is current gen looking.

Late/mid games will look marginally better at best, just like they did on the 360. That got incremental gains throughout the gen because it was efficient it enjoyed consistency, just like the current gen will. You'll see the performance start to peak by the end of next year at the very most (likely before that), then the rest is small gains through small amounts of tuning and tweaking for the rest of the gen.

The PS3 got massive gains because it was complex and they had to work out how to get those gains, you will not see that this gen. People will be disappointed If they expect otherwise.

And if publishers are willing to hold back PC performance to match it with consoles like with Watch Dog, I doubt it's always going to be great news.

WTF do you even mean by that.? Look at the video on this same post the game is almost always over 30FPS,it could have been a lock 30 game,but it can reach 35 and 40 FPS,the lowest drop was 25 on a very intense scene,29 27 rarely mostly abode 30 and DF state.

• Cap at 30FPS: Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognise that some players find it distressing.

Finally, you'll be able to cap the frame rate at 30fps, something Eurogamer contributor John Linneman recommended in his Digital Foundry analysis of Second Son.

"The choice to ship with an unlocked frame-rate has a rather negative impact on the game," wrote Linneman. "While performance generally manages to stay north of 30fps, the resultant judder compromises the fluidity of the visuals and produces inconsistent controller response. With Second Son averaging around 35fps, the player receives little additional benefit as a result of this choice. By limiting the frame-rate to 30fps they could have delivered an open world game with a very consistent frame-rate and controller response. Instead we're left to endure a near-constant judder and unstable performance throughout."

#108 Edited by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Both consoles have weak hardware . It's not like , PS4 is leagues ahead of Xbox One . It is just ... less underpowered .

Only games matter . If you are gaming on consoles and expecting performance/visuals of PC , then you're doing it wrong . Last gen Xbox had superior multiplatforms . This time it's the other way around . It's not end of the world . Exclusive games will boost hardware sales on both sides .

No bro , you sound like its not the end of the world but it might ...

Consoles got the same price tag .. They shouldnt. period . Now last gen BOTH versions run at same resolution AND same FPS while the differences where slightly different on graphical settings only. That was it. THAT was not something to brag about ( in some cases PS3 version looked better but even so , slight differences , many times not noticeable)

Now the gap is HUGE ... to play the same game on 1080p or/and 60fps VS 720/900p to 30fps WHILE graphical settings favor the 1080p version also ?!!!! Thats not a slight difference like it was last gen. Theres a huge gap here.

Considering the same games will have the same price , gimme a reason why to favor the underpowered system here for multiplatforming gaming ? No way bro... Resolution/Fps AND graphical detail all together !! Theres nothing to be compared here with last generation. Literally nothing. I agree with the exclusive part.

#109 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1580 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Both consoles have weak hardware . It's not like , PS4 is leagues ahead of Xbox One . It is just ... less underpowered .

Only games matter . If you are gaming on consoles and expecting performance/visuals of PC , then you're doing it wrong . Last gen Xbox had superior multiplatforms . This time it's the other way around . It's not end of the world . Exclusive games will boost hardware sales on both sides .

No bro , you sound like its not the end of the world ...Let me tell you something then..

Last gen BOTH versions run at same resolution AND same FPS and the differences where slight difference ( most of the time ) on graphical settings.

Now the gap is HUGE ... to play the same game on 1080p or and 60fps VS 720/900p to 30fps WHILE graphical settings favor the 1080p version also !!!! Thats not a slight difference like it was last gen. Theres a huge gap here.

Considering the same games will have the same price , gimme a reason why to favor the underpowered system here for multiplatforming gaming ? No way bro... Resolution/Fps AND graphical detail overall !! come on

1- But, the difference is only 720-900p and 900-1080p 98% of the time. And they seem to be the same res for upcoming games liek Destiny and Alien Isolation, if i'm not mistaken. Also, 30-30fps or 30-45fps, or 60 unstable fps on both. Obviously, frame rates vary much more widly from game to game than res. Some put 60frames above res, so sacrifice fps. Ofcourse, the PS4 being stronger, means better frame rate aswell.

So, the difference is pretty tiny, actually. If someone finds them to be indeed huge, then:

2- Because on PC, the games are cheaper, and have better resolution, frame rates and look better. So buying the PS4 for those reasons is pretty idiotic in itself. As for a reason to buy either console over the others, it's pretty simple:

- You prefer the controller

- You prefer the service

- It's the one your friend have

- Most importantly, it has the exclusives you want. Games that have a PC version should also factor into the equation IMHO, since one might not buy a gaming PC to play them there. And probably something else i can't remember right now.

BTW, i'm a PC gamer, just in case.

#110 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4077 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@PAL360 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@PAL360 said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

Current gen looking is a bit subjective. Look at Second Son, then. It's an early gen game, looks amazing by any standards, native 1080p and runs at 40+ frames per second. Mid/late gen games will obviously look and perform better.

I wonder why do PC guys love to underestimate these new consoles. The fact they are pretty capable should be good news for everyone...especially for PC gamers!

Infamous struggles above 30fps. It's really not subjective. Drive Club is current gen looking.

Late/mid games will look marginally better at best, just like they did on the 360. That got incremental gains throughout the gen because it was efficient it enjoyed consistency, just like the current gen will. You'll see the performance start to peak by the end of next year at the very most (likely before that), then the rest is small gains through small amounts of tuning and tweaking for the rest of the gen.

The PS3 got massive gains because it was complex and they had to work out how to get those gains, you will not see that this gen. People will be disappointed If they expect otherwise.

And if publishers are willing to hold back PC performance to match it with consoles like with Watch Dog, I doubt it's always going to be great news.

I think no one is expecting 2017 PS4/X1 games to compete with PC ones, but they will look visibly better than they look now. As for performance, i believe most devs will keep 1080p30 or 1080p60 as a standard. Sub 1080p30 performance is so criticized these days that no dev want that kind of advertising.

Also the 360 proves my point. Unlike what you said, i think it's games improved alot over the years. Just compare Forza 2 to Forza 4, Halo 3 to Halo 4, Gun to Red Dead Redemption, Gears 1 to Gears 3, etc. It's a night day difference in some cases, and like the PS4, 360's hardware was easy to develop for.

Forza 2 to 3 was an improvement, 4 was incremental. Halo 3 to 4 wasn't huge, mostly cleaned up. Gears 1 was decent looking, Gears 2 was at it's peak, Gears 3 looks like a slightly different art style almost. Night and day is a tiny bit of a stretch.

Forza 4 doubled the cars on track from 8 to 16, improved the visuals, especially the lightning, and managed to run the game at 60 frames per second. Halo 4 looks almost like a different generation compared to Halo 3 and still runs at a higher resolution. If you didn't play or remember it, i would recomend you to read some reviews or watch some vids. Same with Gears 3. It's not just different art-style. The lightning, geometry, effects, etc to the point Gears 1 looks old in comparison. It also has more on screen, and went from 2 to 4 player coop campaign. None of these games got a performance downgrade despite the graphical improvements.

Visually Forza 4 isn't much better than Forza 3, yes it has better lighting. Halo 3 is a 2007 game so I guess it would make sense they got better performance by the time they got to Halo 4.

The first Gears yes, but I think the the graphics of Gears 3 are different enough that it's subjective. I prefer the graphics of Gears 2.

My point was these are not huge improvements. They are mostly moderate to marginal after the first 2 years when they peak. This gen it'll be even harder to tell because of the diminishing returns. Despite the hardware being more powerful this gen, they have to push much harder to make games look much better. Honestly this is the least impressive gen graphically since I began gaming with the GameBoy and ZX Spectrum backing the day. Every other gen has wowed me early on. That's my whole issue, after that long ass gen we just had, I expected to be blown the f*** away this gen, but it just looks the same but with more detail or higher resolution for the most part.

#111 Posted by thehig1 (1450 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@AzatiS said:

@Awinagainov said:

I had a ps3 last gen, and I want a new console. My gaming buddies split pretty evenly to ps4 and xb1. Is the performance game between the ps4 and xb1 really enough to influence a purchasing decision?

(i know this is similar to another recent topic, but the kid had like 4 posts and most repliers were criticizing him for that)

Theres a considerably gap this generation between PS4 and X1. Its not close like last gen which games were running on same res/fps with small differences here and there on total quality of graphics.

To prove you my point ill ask you , all of you that reading this , a simple question.

Lets say there are 2 versions of the very same game on the very same price tag of 59.99$. The one version runs at 900p or/and 30 fps and the other 1080p and/or 60 fps. WHICH version every single one of us would had purchased ? Remember , same version of X game with same price tag

OFC the BEST possible !!! Who on earth would have gone for the 900p/30fps , way lower quality version on the same price tag ? Noone. Period Therefore which console you should go for if you are NOT , i repeat , if you are NOT that much into X1s exclusives or you dont mind or even better if you like PS4s exclusives ?

PS4 that is. This generation is an easy choice if you are not a hardcore Xbox fan.. Really easy.

Yeah, the difference is 1080p 60fps vs 900p 30fps (sarcasm). The PS4 can't even do 60fps on current gen looking games, everything is 30fps.

You didnt answer the question.

Same game on same price tag , which version would you choose ? I would had gone with the best possible since costs the same. SO you would , stop all being hypocrites. Every single one of you would go for the best version. Period

Same Game, Same Price Tag, Best Possible Version = PC

#112 Posted by TuuPumpChump (82 posts) -

Only thing I don't get is why make the xbox version 1080p and havering to lower the textures and effects. PLEASE... Let me play a gorgeous 800 to 900p game instead of a dumbed down 1080 game. Worked for theif.

#113 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25609 posts) -

It wouldn't bother me much if I were picking an Xbone over a PS4 which I'm obviously not doing, but still. I was happy enough owning a PS2 over an Xbox. The amusing thing is really the fact that the visual/performance gaps are bigger than those the 360 enjoyed over the PS3. "Better multiplats" is/was a big deal for some on here; I just see it as a bonus.

#114 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -

It wouldn't bother me much if I were picking an Xbone over a PS4 which I'm obviously not doing, but still. I was happy enough owning a PS2 over an Xbox. The amusing thing is really the fact that the visual/performance gaps are bigger than those the 360 enjoyed over the PS3. "Better multiplats" is/was a big deal for some on here; I just see it as a bonus.

Same here Jason. I actually think the inevitable concequences of such beliefs of 'dynamic superiority' in which the former deviants who believe the scruitny, is to be forever an ignoramous of their craft. There is no getting around an efficient mindset that allows the subject to engage in any form of media entertainment without the reasoning of being a sycophant to a singular corparation/primary provider of any description.

It is within the greater interests of us all to keep our minds clean of such bleek and minute views on how we spend our spare hours.

Don't you agree Jason?

#115 Posted by 04dcarraher (19324 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

Agreed. Lol at Halcyon saying Halo 4 wasn't a big visual jump from Halo 3. It was one of the best looking shooters last gen imo.

Halo 3

Halo 4

Halo 3 is the better game though.

Do people understand that Halo 3 was using a tweaked upgraded engine from Halo 2? Bungie redid the graphics engine to be designed around the 360's hardware with Halo Reach

#116 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25010 posts) -

If it wasn't, we'd be seeing Multiplats on WiiU.

#117 Posted by 04dcarraher (19324 posts) -
@handssss said:

Lol my favorite halo game is Halo Combat Evolved on PC. I loved that game to death. Never had an Xbox but I first played it on PC in 2004. Blew me away.

I remember showing Halo on Pc to a Halo fanboy in RL and he about had a heart attack in the differences in graphics and more MP stuff lol

#118 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PAL360 said:

Agreed. Lol at Halcyon saying Halo 4 wasn't a big visual jump from Halo 3. It was one of the best looking shooters last gen imo.

Halo 3

Halo 4

Halo 3 is the better game though.

Do people understand that Halo 3 was using a tweaked upgraded engine from Halo 2? Bungie redid the graphics engine to be designed around the 360's hardware with Halo Reach

No body said otherwise brethren. I merely made an observation that Halo 4 does in fact look better than Halo 3. Why? What got you ticking? Open up...

#119 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:
@handssss said:

Lol my favorite halo game is Halo Combat Evolved on PC. I loved that game to death. Never had an Xbox but I first played it on PC in 2004. Blew me away.

I remember showing Halo on Pc to a Halo fanboy in RL and he about had a heart attack in the differences in graphics and more MP stuff lol

Ah man I here you. The difference in resolution alone. I played it at 1280x1024 at the time. On my Geforce 6600 GT lol. Good times.

#120 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25609 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

Same here Jason. I actually think the inevitable concequences of such beliefs of 'dynamic superiority' in which the former deviants who believe the scruitny, is to be forever an ignoramous of their craft. There is no getting around an efficient mindset that allows the subject to engage in any form of media entertainment without the reasoning of being a sycophant to a singular corparation/primary provider of any description.

It is within the greater interests of us all to keep our minds clean of such bleek and minute views on how we spend our spare hours.

Don't you agree Jason?

I support your hypothesis with great aplomb.

#121 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

Don't you agree Jason?

I support your hypothesis with great aplomb.

Wy Thank yer sir.

#122 Edited by sam890 (1108 posts) -

Peasants have this argument everyday are you guys not tired ?

#123 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -
@sam890 said:

Please don't refer to console players as peasants. You are a good person. You have standards. You play consoles too don't you?

#124 Posted by jsmoke03 (12786 posts) -

not to fanboys, pc elitists or un informed gamers, no.

but to others it does. no one wants inferior anything

#125 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@sam890 said:

I like how PC fanboys are always striving to relevant in SW even in threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with PC gaming. OP asked about the difference between PS4 and XB1 and yet there are PC fanboys here defending their PCs lol.

#126 Edited by TheRealBigRich (726 posts) -

#Any body that cares that much about graphics should just invest in a gaming PC . If you are dead set on picking a console then I would say get a PS4 if your really going to look at DF for every Multi plat and you don't want to have the worst version no matter how slight some are. Don't get me wrong there will be your MGS , Tomb raider differences where the rest and frame rate really favors the ps4 and if you can't deal with that then I would go PS4. I still think if you were making a list of reasons to pick a console power would be only one of the reasons not the only one. You still have Controller preference, features and exclusive games as well as who you like to play with . I know my reasons were games , controllers preference and features I went XB1

#127 Posted by sam890 (1108 posts) -

@sam890 said:

Please don't refer to console players as peasants. You are a good person. You have standards. You play consoles too don't you?

Aww ok Scoot :)

@sam890 said:

I like how PC fanboys are always striving to relevant in SW even in threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with PC gaming. OP asked about the difference between PS4 and XB1 and yet there are PC fanboys here defending their PCs lol.

Don't see anyone defending their PCs we're just saying that this discussion is old lol.

#128 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2195 posts) -

This is a PS fanboy circle jerk.

I think all of this has been blown out of proportion. This isn't much different from last generation if you think about it. The PS3 had a rough launch but did alright in the end. This is literally nit picking over a number, most people will never know or see a difference and we're not even a full year into this generation. Since gaming forums are 80% Sony fanboys this small issue will continue to be made into a massive problem for years. I love seeing people using "Sinking ship" references to the Xbox. Are you guys that crazy for your PS4 to make wild assumptions? A sinking ship is the Wii U and Dreamcast. I also love hearing about your "hard earned money" nonsense. You all act like you're swinging a pick axe on the railroad daily and struggling to peel off that cash for a console. In the grand scheme of things most 20-somethings pay for a month, a console isn't that pricey.

#129 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@sam890 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@sam890 said:

Aww ok Scoot :)

@I_can_haz said:

@sam890 said:

Don't see anyone defending their PCs we're just saying that this discussion is old lol.

Well it sounded like you were defending it to me.

The discussion is as old as gaming itself. Whenever there are two opposing console platforms with the same games people will always want to know which platform runs the games better. Calling people peasants for arguing about it only makes it sound like you are struggling to stay relevant in a console discussion thread.

#130 Edited by tormentos (17327 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

Lemming huh? I mainly support PC, but the XB1 looks to be to be having better games with more variety and non graphic obsessions on the horizon. Atleast, for me that is.

The difference, like i told you, between consoles and PC, is that a PC can be as strong as you like, and even the lower mid tier rigs can offer a better experience than a console. There's also a difference between a PC that can do 4k, while running the game maxed out at 60fps without dips, and a console that at 1080p, high settings, does 30/45-50fps, if that much. I'm speaking of multiplats ofcourse.

And again, not that you need to buy one of these PC's. Just that if you really can tell such microscopic differences, than bragging about 1080p, high seetings, a few random low textures, and 45fps is, well, pretty stupid.

BTW, care to tell why nobody noticed BF Hardline was 900p?

Or why nobody noticed KZ Shadow Fall's 1080i resolution?

Or Infamous SS's frame rate rise when at 40?

Or why we even need DF to take pics to even find out where the PS4 beats the XB1 in graphical quality, lighting, shadows, whatever?

Oh right, i already told you. These differences are nearly impossible to stop while you're too busy playing a game and having fun, and if you care about it, you should be PC gaming.

Tormentos, this is going to sound elitist, but the reality is that consoles gamers who brag about their hardware, while it not only is already outdated, but can't even be changed or upgraded, and bitch about resolution and graphics, while not only needing outside sources to point them out to them, and while not even being able to change them, are morons.

My PC isn't even that great, so i don't brag about it because i know there's people with much, much better PC's, and i know my exprience is not the true, "definitive" one.

The PS4 is stronger than teh XB1. Pure and simple. And the differences in multiplats are small. Pure and simple.

No here you are trying to imply that the difference isn't important,but at the same time trying to imply that is important when is PC vs consoles,most PC gamers don't even have a GPU as strong as the PS4,grouping all PC under 1 strong PC is a fu**ing joke period.

You are a lemming and you colors are showing if PC is superior because it has stronger hardware,the PS4 is superior as well hell even more,a PC with PS4 spec cost you more than a freaking PS4,an xbox one has the same price while been weaker,hell it had a $100 higher price up until last month.

So yeah bag your whole sh** argument the PS4 cost the same is stronger period.

Yeah and that PC doing 4K max out will cost you a couple of K's as well.

People did notice shadofall wasn't 1080p people complained that online it look more blur people just didn't question what resolution it was because there was a confirmation by Guerrilla but people did complain about the blurness of the game online,and in fact you compare online vs single player and it look more blur is easy to see.

Oh please stop your damage control lemming,you are the one defending the damn weak sauce xbox one,with an argument you yourself refuse shoot down,so again spec matter when is PS4 vs PC when is xbox one vs PS4 there is no different.

Yeah 720p vs 1080p is small,and 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is small as well in your freaking small world.

The xbox one edition of sniper elite runs as much as 30FPS slower while also having lower quality effects is a freaking blow to the xbox one face,you v-synch the game and is locked 30 when the PS4 version runs much higher,oh and this are first gen early games,which on PS4 are harder to make do to developers having to compile games for PS4 in a different API than DX,imagine when multiplatforms games star by masses to use the PS4 as lead platform.

#131 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4518 posts) -

i'd describe the difference as 'less than a gpu upgrade'

i'm just wondering when either console will get enough good exclusive games to warrant a purchase. the other day i saw someone suggest getting a ps4 for no mans sky, some 535 days before the game comes out (and who knows what other news regarding the platforms and launch dates will surface).

pretty bad logistics, obviously i didn't take their advice.

#132 Posted by tormentos (17327 posts) -

1- But, the difference is only 720-900p and 900-1080p 98% of the time. And they seem to be the same res for upcoming games liek Destiny and Alien Isolation, if i'm not mistaken. Also, 30-30fps or 30-45fps, or 60 unstable fps on both. Obviously, frame rates vary much more widly from game to game than res. Some put 60frames above res, so sacrifice fps. Ofcourse, the PS4 being stronger, means better frame rate aswell.

So, the difference is pretty tiny, actually. If someone finds them to be indeed huge, then:

2- Because on PC, the games are cheaper, and have better resolution, frame rates and look better. So buying the PS4 for those reasons is pretty idiotic in itself. As for a reason to buy either console over the others, it's pretty simple:

- You prefer the controller

- You prefer the service

- It's the one your friend have

- Most importantly, it has the exclusives you want. Games that have a PC version should also factor into the equation IMHO, since one might not buy a gaming PC to play them there. And probably something else i can't remember right now.

BTW, i'm a PC gamer, just in case.

Dude several games are 720p vs 1080p the last one was release on March MGS5 was 1080p 60FPS and with dynamic sky on PS4,on the one was 720p 60FPS no dynamic sky.

Just because a game is running in 1080p on both platforms doesn't mean they look equal this is true even on PC,there is 1080p low,1080p mid,1080p high,1080p Ultra in some games,there is also 60FPS 30 FPS,there is also HBAO,anisotropic filtering,tessellation and several other effects.

Just because it runs at the same resolution doesn't imply parity or equality, Sniper Elite prove that so did Tomb Raider, 1080p on both,but on xbox one frames were slower,and iQ was also lower on xbox one.

You can buy cheap games on consoles as well and there is a used market for games that is non existent on PC,that sad notion that you can buy cheap games only on PC is a joke.

Those 3 things there are thing xbox 360 owners use to claim where better on xbox 360 vs the PS3,always last gen,better controller, better service and more friend and people to play with,so yeah you are a butthurt lemming basically.

XBL doesn't have the numbers this time around PSN+ does apparently,the PS4 controller is greatly improved to the point where many sites even give it the edge over the xbox one,and since the PS4 is on fire sales wise and has a user base or almost 2 to 1 there is a chance that most of your friends are on PSN+.

Funny i remember a time when you went to Amazon and XBL cards where always on top,now you go to amazon top selling pages and the first 3 items in the best selling are PSN $10 card,fallow by PSN $20 card,Fallow by PSN$50 card odd isn't it.?

So the whole friends,controls and service you lemmings used last gen has turn into salt..lol

No you are a lemming who defend the xbox one constantly.

Yet the best looking Halo is Halo 4,all Halo on xbox 360 are sub HD,but Halo 4 as well so yeah the graphics improved and the game actually moved to 720p native no sud HD.

#133 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

No and No it won't. I own both as well as the Wii U. The Xbox One and PS4 are virtually equal. Now, 4-6 years down the road as visuals get better on both Consoles; You may see a small difference between first party games visuals. But I still don't think it'll be that noticeable. Look at the exclusives you want...not the visuals.

#134 Edited by xxyetixx (1264 posts) -

If you come around system wars asking that question it is a huge deal, deal breaker, end of the world stuff. You'll get ridiculed for wanting to buy an inferior system to play the same games on.

It's personal preference, I went 360 last gen never had any regrets even going thru 2 of them with RRoD. I wasn't paying $600 and being forced to buy a Blu Ray player at the time, so I abandoned my PS2 for the 360.

This time around I waited as long as I possibly could. My biggest concern with PS4/X1 were which system gives me the best online experience, where are my friends at, and can it provide entertainment for the rest of my family. All my check marks were in the X1 category. X1 still has better online IMO, more of my friends bought X1, and with Skype, Xbox Fitness, and Kinect stuff, and games like PvZ and Max curse of the Brotherhood. The X1 provided me things my kids and girlfriend would want that would warrant a $400+ purchase.

At this point in my life I am as casual/bro gamer as they come. I'm looking forward to COD:AW, Mortal Kombat X, RB6:Siege and probably Madden. I've never purchased a system just for an exclusive game or series.

The big reality of it here is we are talking about video games. For me it's something I do in my own spare time to relax get online with some friends and put a hurting on people and make them hate their game lol.

System wars is only good to come to, to get up to date info cause the rabid fanboys of either system get that shit out there quick and it's always on SW first. Then you get distracted by the trainwreck that is system wars and it sucks you in and you can't bite you're tongue any longer

#135 Posted by blueinheaven (94 posts) -

Does the performance gap matter? Let me just give it to you in a nutshell from every perspective.

X1 owners: nah course not, graphics don't matter gameplay is what's important.

PS4 owners: of course it matters I didn't spend all that money for a console with inferior graphics and framerates.

PC owners: you're playing on console anyway so everything about your gaming experience sucks compared to mine spend 1k on a PC and stop whining.

I hope that helps.

For me.... I intend to buy both consoles. Multi plats I will buy on PS4 and I will still buy an X1 for the exclusives though I will admit I am teetering at the moment as they have next to nothing worth playing at the moment. I really want the Halo master collection though so yeah I suppose that's one X1 sold.

I also have a high-end PC so I am king of the world and yah boo and sucks to all of you.

#136 Posted by xxyetixx (1264 posts) -

@bublover1: Hey I got a question about that amazon pic you posted the PS4 is sitting at 10 and has 324 used & new at a discounted price, yet the X1 only has 48. Does that mean X1 owners are actually keeping their system of choice cause it's worth having??

#137 Edited by blamix99 (1715 posts) -

get a PS4, better performance and better upcoming games.

you don't want to miss Bloodborne,Uncharted 4 and The Order 1886

#138 Edited by topgunmv (10193 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

@bublover1: Hey I got a question about that amazon pic you posted the PS4 is sitting at 10 and has 324 used & new at a discounted price, yet the X1 only has 48. Does that mean X1 owners are actually keeping their system of choice cause it's worth having??

x1 is the new kinectless sku, less time to buy and resell.

#139 Edited by watchdogsrules (359 posts) -

@Awinagainov: the performance gap is a HUGE deal. you don't want to get a system that's good but then you see something else that cheaper and WAY better. ( btw , Xbox one is the good system and PS4 is the better and cheaper system).

#140 Posted by santoron (7702 posts) -

I really depends on the person and their tastes, TC. Hell, the difference between a high end gaming rig and the WiiU isn't a big deal for everyone.

It's a noticeable disparity in horespower, but you're going to have to decide if that bothers you.

#141 Edited by Phazevariance (10937 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Not for me, no. Xbox One is weaker, no doubt, but that doesn't stop me from wanting some of the games on it.

I own both and while the ps4 is more capable, the graphics difference is not that big of a deal, especially since its not usually missing special effects on the x1, but rather just a half step resolution lower. One iwll do 1080p and the other will do 900p and its not easy to notice the difference. You can notice a difference, but you need to be looking for it.

And yeah, exclusives for both consoles are a reason to get both.

#142 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2567 posts) -

yes it is

#143 Posted by tdkmillsy (1284 posts) -

Yawn another thread using old games to show the PS4 has far superior graphics.

Fact of the matter is for the last few months and moving forward as things settle down.

PS4 and Xbox One will have the same resolution but PS4 will have better FPS and maybe the odd effect

or

Xbox One will have 180p less resolution (720p to 900p or 900 to 1080p) with similar FPS and affects.

PC if you can afford hardware will have better on all fronts.

More importantly (back in the real world) the Xbox One and PS4 will have games and experiences you cant have on the other console such as playing on vita (PS4) or watching Killer Instinct on twitch while watching would cup final (Xbox One). Nearly everyone on these forums (be honest now guys) picked a PS4 because it has a better GPU, they where going to pick it anyway because its there chosen side or they liked the games and experiences exclusive to it. You could make a list of what's important when choosing a console/pc and the performance would only be one point. Its not as important as people make out.

#144 Posted by PAL360 (26752 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet:

I agree that the graphical jump from last gen looks less impressive (i have been gaming since late 80s aswell), but the tech jump was not smaller, just less visible. It happens because last gen games still look good by current standars, so the natural evolution is to improve performance and add some nice particle effects, reflections, etc.

#145 Edited by getyeryayasout (7220 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

I agree that the graphical jump from last gen looks less impressive (i have been gaming since late 80s aswell), but the tech jump was not smaller, just less visible. It happens because last gen games still look good by current standars, so the natural evolution is to improve performance and add some nice particle effects, reflections, etc.

Hey PAL. :)

I'd like to point out that it was nearly a year into the 360's lifespan that Gears arrived and finally gave us a game that was a true leap over the previous gen (sorry Kameo), I suspect that that's going to be the case with current gen.

#146 Posted by PAL360 (26752 posts) -

@getyeryayasout:

Hi man :)

Good pont! This gen, in less than a year, we already got games like Second Son and Ryse, graphicaly impossible on last gen consoles, Battlefield 4 with 64 players online at 60fps and lots of 1080p60 games. The improvement is there for those who want to see it.

#147 Edited by lglz1337 (3232 posts) -

@Shewgenja: sogood.gif

and if a lem say no he lie, because last gen they where screaming +3fps from the rooftops

also lemmings keep barking about ps4 has no games, but ps4 otselling XposBone must mean performance does matter

/thread!

#148 Edited by PAL360 (26752 posts) -

@lglz1337:

To be fair, the reason why lems were claiming ownage over little advantages was due to the fact cows used to think PS3 was a super computer and the cell had magic powers. Even 1 extra frame could be fun enough consirering it was on the so called Xbox1.5.

In fact, just like in current and any past generation, the best and most capable hardware, gets the best multiplats.

#149 Posted by sukraj (22308 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Get the one with the games you want

I agree with you're comment it all comes down to the games.

#150 Posted by tdkmillsy (1284 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@Shewgenja: sogood.gif

and if a lem say no he lie, because last gen they where screaming +3fps from the rooftops

also lemmings keep barking about ps4 has no games, but ps4 otselling XposBone must mean performance does matter

/thread!

Nothing to do with the price difference?