This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I'm predicting that the PS4 will do better (in terms of success, third party support and key exclusives) than PS1 and PS3, but it won't match the PS2.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

well we'll never know, since the xbone and wii.u are failing..

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

It will take a miracle to surpass the juggernaut that was the PS2. My favourite gen so far.

155million units sold

AAAE's in every area.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

PS4 has a huge shoe to fill, but in all honesty the system is going to be special. It has the same aurora to it as the PS2.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

The PS4 is easier to develop for than the PS2 was, and Sony's first party studios are much larger than they were during the PS2 era. I think the PS4 will be able to at least match it in units sold.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@PinkiePirate said:

The PS4 is easier to develop for than the PS2 was, and Sony's first party studios are much larger than they were during the PS2 era. I think the PS4 will be able to at least match it in units sold.

That's a pipe dream. The xbox one will probably get at least 70 million(maybe lower) while the PS4 will get at least 80-90million(maybe lower). The PS4 has to pretty much decimate the Xbox one like the PS2 did to the xbox in order for the PS4 to sell over 100 million.Sadly, that will not happen at the end of this gen.And the market is not the same as it was during the PS2 era.The PS4 has competition from the xbox one and maybe the WiiU if it recovers ever.Consumers also have more options to play games on.I also would not look at launch numbers as an indication of the PS4's future. Anything can happen in the next couple of years.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

If the PS4 is a runaway hit it could easily trump the PS2 the population has grown quite a lot since the PS2. Only reason no system surpassed the PS2 this generation is because things were more evened out among the consoles. Also if the PS4 somehow ended up being the runaway hit of the generation expect a short generation. Part of the reason this generation was so long is due to everyone having success.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

That's a pipe dream. The xbox one will probably get at least 70 million(maybe lower) while the PS4 will get at least 80-90million(maybe lower). The PS4 has to pretty much decimate the Xbox one like the PS2 did to the xbox in order for the PS4 to sell over 100 million.Sadly, that will not happen at the end of this gen.And the market is not the same as it was during the PS2 era.The PS4 has competition from the xbox one and maybe the WiiU if it recovers ever.Consumers also have more options to play games on.I also would not look at launch numbers as an indication of the PS4's future. Anything can happen in the next couple of years.

Wait Super, do you actually think the xbox one will sell near to the PS4?

LOL!

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Gaming is bigger now than it was in the 6th gen so maybe or maybe not, damned if I know.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Don't think it will top PS2 though...but hey gaming is growing every year so maybe. But they will need to persuade the casuals to get 150mil+ sales, ps2 succeeded in that, don't know if PS4 will be able to do the same.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

PS4, obviously.

PS2 was a good console, but still way overrated. There were many things that GameCube and Xbox did better than PS2.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

PS2 was oddly my least favorite PlayStation console. PS4 is set to easily surpass it. Sure, there were some incredible games on PS2 but I have more fond memories on PS1 and PS3.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

PS4 is obviously the most powerful PS ever.

Sony's first party studios are huge and talented, they are no Nintendo but they do bring many top, top games out nowadays.

Sony's third party support is still as strong as ever with Japan, but crucially they now also have the Western devs too.

After the PS3's difficulties, Sony are back to being a lean, humble, gamer focussed company. The arrogance of the early PS3 days is looong gone.

These 4 facts would lead me to think this will be the best Playstation ever, with the most and highest quality games, and hopefully the most sales too.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Alot of people bought the PS2 because it was a great DVD player, the PS4 however can't compete with cheaper BD players. And the Xone is a better competitor than the first Xbox was. But the PS4 sales will still beat both the X360 and PS3 this gen, and win the gen by a pretty big margin.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#15 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@super600:

past gen already sold more than 250M

we can expect as always for next gen to sell more

as Wii U is a total failure

ps4 and x1 have to divide a minimum 300M market

i bet on

200 ps4

90 x1

10 wii u

not as huge sucess in terms of market domination, but more sales for sure

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

I agree with super600. The PS2 didn't have competition like PS3 and PS4 will have. I'll also argue why PS4 will never match PS2 is because publishers are more interested in making money than quality games. That balance leads rushed/bad games.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 applefan1991
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I've been saying this for awhile. The PS4 eerily reminds me of the PS2, not just from the design, but from the "fun" that I've had with it. I never got that impression with the PS3, which is why I converted to the 360 mid gen.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 super600  Moderator

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

There will be a 10-20million difference between both in LTD most likely, but anything can happen.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By super600  Moderator

@leandrro said:

@super600:

i bet on

200 ps4

90 x1

10 wii u

The PS4 is not like the PS2. It's not even the Wii in terms of mass appeal. It probably won't have as much mass appeal as the Wii even at the end of this gen. The PS4 is mostly aimed at the hardcore market(The same market that bought the PS3) and not the same market that bought the PS2 and Wii.The PS4 will do well, but it does not look like it will break 100million sold at the end of this gen.Also there is more competition from other products like the Xbox One. And ever game that mostly releases on the PS4 will also release for the Xbox One besides the exclusive.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@blamix99 said:

How on earth is the X1 failing when it's had a better launch than the 360? Cows make no damn sense.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By super600  Moderator

@super600 said:

@leandrro said:

@super600:

i bet on

200 ps4

90 x1

10 wii u

The PS4 is not like the PS2. It's not even the Wii in terms of mass appeal. It probably won't have as much mass appeal as the Wii even at the end of this gen. The PS4 is mostly aimed at the hardcore market right now(The same market that bought the PS3) and not the same market that bought the PS2 and Wii.The PS4 will do well, but it does not look like it will break 100million sold at the end of this gen.Also there is more competition from other products like the Xbox One. And ever game that mostly releases on the PS4 will also release for the Xbox One besides the exclusive.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sweenix

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

There will be a 10-20million difference between both in LTD most likely, but anything can happen.

Most likely, How so???

The xbox one is currently losing in not only north america, but the uk, which was it's 2 strongest markets, also the PS4 will remain the cheapest console throughout the entire generation.

I agree that the PS4 won't be another PS2, but the xbox one won't get even close to the PS4, it's getting belted throughout mainland europe, it's non existent in japan, and it's losing on it's home territory, So i don't know where you get this idea, that the xbox one will finish close to the PS4.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

The xbox one is currently losing in not only north america, but the uk, which was it's 2 strongest markets, also the PS4 will remain the cheapest console throughout the entire generation.

I agree that the PS4 won't be another PS2, but the xbox one won't get even close to the PS4, it's getting belted throughout mainland europe, it's non existent in japan, and it's losing on it's home territory, So i don't know where you get this idea, that the xbox one will finish close to the PS4.

The problem is that this is the launch period. Everything usually sells during the holiday season. The main test for both consoles will be during the non holiday months. Even with europe I do not think the PS4 will sell anywere near 100million.No one knows what will happen after December. The sales for both will decrease after the holiday and the xbox one will sell more after it decreases in price.The PS4 will end up being a great console at the end of the gen, but it won't be earthshattering.And the xbox one is the underdog at the moment. And the PS4 will pretty much be non-existant or sell terribly in Japan to. The Japanese don't really care about home consoles anymore. Japan will not help the PS4 at all this gen so the PS4 has to rely on Europe and the US.Anything can happen for the xbox one.It's not going to suffer like the WiiU, but it will do well at the end of this gen.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sweenix

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

The problem is that this is the launch period. Everything usually sells during the holiday season. The main test for both consoles will be during the non holiday months. Even with europe I do not think the PS4 will sell anywere near 100million.No one knows what will happen after December. The sales for both will decrease after the holiday and the xbox one will sell more after it decreases in price.The PS4 will end up being a great console at the end of the gen, but it won't be earthshattering.And the xbox one is the underdog at the moment. And the PS4 will pretty much be non-existant or sell terribly in Japan to. The Japanese don't really care about home consoles anymore. Japan will not help the PS4 at all this gen so the PS4 has to rely on Europe and the US.Anything can happen for the xbox one.It's not going to suffer like the WiiU, but it will do well at the end of this gen.

The PS4 will atleast sell 10million units in japan, which is equal to the PS3, so i wouldn't really call that irrelevant, plus Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is coming out for the PS4, so it's pretty much impossible for the PS4 to fail there, and i know the xbox one won't suffer like the wii u, but i just cant see the xbox one nearing the PS4, if it's losing in every area around the world.

And no matter how much microsoft cuts the xbox one price, the PS4 will always be cheaper, because despite being a weaker machine, the xbox one actually costs more to make then the PS4, and this isn't even counting kinect.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

The PS4 will atleast sell 10million units in japan, which is equal to the PS3, so i wouldn't really call that irrelevant, plus Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is coming out for the PS4, so it's pretty much impossible for the PS4 to fail there, and i know the xbox one won't suffer like the wii u, but i just cant see the xbox one nearing the PS4, if it's losing in every area around the world.

And no matter how much microsoft cuts the xbox one price, the PS4 will always be cheaper, because despite being a weaker machine, the xbox one actually costs more to make then the PS4, and this isn't even counting kinect.

MS can always remove kinect if they want to and like I said Japan is pretty much irrelevant this gen. The PS4 will most likely sell anywhere from 3-7 million(maybe more) at the end of this gen in Japan.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

ps4 will never match ps2 sales.

1. Stiff competition from MS, and Nintendo.

2. Development is too expensive for third party to do exclusive games for one platform ( even Ms is getting kingdom hearts and metal gear)

3. Tablets

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sweenix

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

MS can always remove kinect if they want to and like I said Japan is pretty much irrelevant this gen. The PS4 will most likely sell anywhere from 3-7 million(maybe more) at the end of this gen in Japan.

Microsoft isn't going to remove the kinect, it's a vital feature to the xbox one, and the removal of it, would kind of defeat the slogan, "The all in one'' because it wouldn't be, if a feature was stripped away.

And let's not forget microsoft is a maximum profit company, they won't cut the price constantly to stay along side sony, they and most company's would rather make a profit on a system that sells decently, then take a loss on a system that sells alot.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 super600  Moderator

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

Microsoft isn't going to remove the kinect, it's a vital feature to the xbox one, and the removal of it, would kind of defeat the slogan, "The all in one'' because it wouldn't be, if a feature was stripped away.

And let's not forget microsoft is a maximum profit company, they won't cut the price constantly to stay along side sony, they and most company's would rather make a profit on a system that sells decently, then take a loss on a system that sells alot.

MS would do anything to stay competitive with sony even if that includes trying to cut the price of the xbox one.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sweenix

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:
@super600 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

LOL!

Most likely, How so???

MS would do anything to stay competitive with sony even if that includes trying to cut the price of the xbox one.

Many people at microsoft wants to sell the xbox brand, and this is after the xbox 360, not because it didn't sell enough, because it doesn't make enough profit.

So, why would they cut the price to a system, if they want profit?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

PS4 is obviously the most powerful PS ever.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Imo everything points to this being one of the greatest consoles in gaming history. Price, support, demand. It just feels special.

Divine_Menace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Divine_Menace
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts

Yea like the games are so super special...

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blamix99

@chikenfriedrice said:

@blamix99 said:

How on earth is the X1 failing when it's had a better launch than the 360? Cows make no damn sense.

of course it's failing.. the ps4 is burying it to the ground. ps4 is wining sales everywhere in the world. and the xbone can't even do 1080p, it can only manage 1080p on little tiny games. heard it will be on 480p in 3-4 years time LOL

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

If you talking about sales of course PS4 will outsell the PS2.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@blamix99 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@blamix99 said:

of course it's failing.. the ps4 is burying it to the ground. ps4 is wining sales everywhere in the world. and the xbone can't even do 1080p, it can only manage 1080p on little tiny games. heard it will be on 480p in 3-4 years time LOL

Wow you're not very bright.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blamix99

@chikenfriedrice said:

@blamix99 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@blamix99 said:

Wow you're not very bright.

yeahh i'm darker than silent hill LOL

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Let's see. The PS2 was released in North America in October 2000. So from Oct. 2000 to the end of 2001, the exclusive line up was: Twisted Metal: Black, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, GTAIII, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Ico, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Ace Combat 4

PS4 exclusives for 2013 and 2014 include The Order (maybe), Uncharted 4 (maybe), Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son and Drive Club.

The PS4 is not even 10% of what the PS2 was. Perhaps if it kept Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts exclusive, and managed to snag Destiny before Activision it may be a different story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I think the Ps4 will sell similarly to the Ps2.