PS4 to vastly outsell Xbox over next 5 years, IHS forecasts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/437744/ps4-to-comfortably-outsell-xbox-one-over-next-4-years-ihs-forecasts/

PS4 will comfortably outsell Xbox One over the next four years, IHS head of games research Piers Harding-Rolls has forecast.

While the analyst expects launch window sales of the two consoles to be neck and neck, he thinks Sony's system will draw ahead of Microsoft's console significantly by the end of 2017.

Harding-Rolls forecasts 2.4 million PS4 sales by the end of 2013, compared to 2.2 million Xbox One sales. During that timeframe, "IHS expects existing geographical brand allegiance to continue with Xbox One outselling PS4 in North America, and PS4 outselling Xbox One across Europe combined."

IHS forecasts 49 million PS4 sales by the end of 2017, compared to 38 million Xbox One sales. Harding-Rolls said: "IHS believes that Sony's wider geographical brand allegiance - especially across continental Europe and Japan - will be decisive in allowing PS4 to outsell Xbox One on a global basis by the end of 2017.

"We also believe that both Sony and Microsoft will continue to benefit from Nintendo's Wii U weak sales, with some past Wii users adopting the latest consoles instead of upgrading to Wii U."

In August, when Sony announced a PS4 release date of November 15 in North America and November 29 in Europe and Latin America, the company said more than one million PS4 pre-orders had been placed worldwide. The console will be available in 32 countries this holiday, with the PS4 price set at £349 / €399 / $399.

Microsoft has confirmed a Xbox One release date of November 22, 2013 in 13 markets and a Xbox One price of £430 / $500 / $500.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

"IHS forecasts 49 million PS4 sales by the end of 2017, compared to 38 million Xbox One sales"

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Obligatory

Funny thing about this graph is they were the only ones who correctly predicted how well the Wii would do.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

If the Xbox One, selling each console at a profit remains fairly close to the 360's game attach rate, coupled with Xbox Live profits, they would take 38 million sold all day long and let Sony have all the bragging rights. That would be all profit from hardware, software, and online. As for Sony, those would be very good numbers but they need the other divisions in the company to pick up bigtime or the entire company will be in deep trouble. PS alone will not save Sony.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Obligatory

Funny thing about this graph is they were the only ones who correctly predicted how well the Wii would do.

Dang it, you beat me to it!!!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I just know the WiiU will be dead last this gen.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

PS3 forecast deja vu.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MajesticShea

@shawn30 said:

If the Xbox One, selling each console at a profit remains fairly close to the 360's game attach rate, coupled with Xbox Live profits, they would take 38 million sold all day long and let Sony have all the bragging rights. That would be all profit from hardware, software, and online. As for Sony, those would be very good numbers but they need the other divisions in the company to pick up bigtime or the entire company will be in deep trouble. PS alone will not save Sony.

Dem Tears.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman nods.

" Would be amazing if PlayStation beats Xbox for a third gen in sales."

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shawn30

@majesticshea said:

@shawn30 said:

Dem Tears.

Over a prediction? Hardly. Just making the point that even if that came true MS would be happy as freaking hell, whereas Sony is in deep financial trouble and needs its other divisions to improve greatly. None of that will affect yours or my enjoyment of our systems. But that analyst also though the Wii-U would sell like cray....

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Since when are 5 and 4 the same number TC?

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MajesticShea

@shawn30 said:

@majesticshea said:

@shawn30 said:

Dem Tears.

Over a prediction? Hardly. Just making the point that even if that came true MS would be happy as freaking hell, whereas Sony is in deep financial trouble and needs its other divisions to improve greatly. None of that will affect yours or my enjoyment of our systems. But that analyst also though the Wii-U would sell like cray....

Ooooh seems I struck a nerve.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@jimmypsn said:

PS3 forecast deja vu.

Too bad for you that PS4 doesn't have the same factors against it as PS3 did. Have fun living in 07.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shawn30

@majesticshea said:

@shawn30 said:

@majesticshea said:

@shawn30 said:

Dem Tears.

Ooooh seems I struck a nerve.

Wait, what?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I agree with what Shawn30 said a bit. We should talk about attach rate more and to the companies the amount of dollars is what really matters. Xbox360 brought in a ton of money with higher attach rates and money from Live. Well see what this generation brings.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Xbone will not outsell the PS4 in NA. Not with the $100 premium.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Oh yeah,just like how everyone was so sure of the same thing with the PS3,then look what happened lol.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Sony already stated that they are set to sell through 3M units by the end of the calendar year.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Obligatory

You mean, these are the ones who underestimated the Xbox and over estimated how well the PS3 would do?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@lhughey said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Obligatory

You mean, these are the ones who underestimated the Xbox and over estimated how well the PS3 would do?

Yeah, they completely got the XBox 360 wrong. lmao!! The PS4 will definitely be in the lead, especially after the price gets cut, because Japan games will jump on board after that and Microsoft doesn't really have an answer for Japan sales. That's basically the only reason the PS3 started catching up was because of Japan sales.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

It's probably going to be more than that. Sony already said they are going to ship 3 million before the year is over and going by Amazon US Best Sellers, Xbone is trailing far behind PS4 so I don't think the brand loyalty he's talking about will help Xbone.....

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_nav_0

All the top 10 games are on PS4 and Xbone games aren't even in the top 32. I know people will say it's because the PS4 is about to launch but the truth of the matter is that Xbone games have been trailing their PS4 counterparts since E3 on Amazon. All the best selling nextgen games have been PS4, same with the accessories and even the PS4 itself has been consistently outselling the Xbone on Amazon US.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Sony already stated that they are set to sell through 3M units by the end of the calendar year.

Do you always believe what Sony tells you?

How's that 1080p 120fps 4D PS3 doing for you?

How about those Toy Story like graphics on the PS2?

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

It's probably going to be more than that. Sony already said they are going to ship 3 million before the year is over and going by Amazon US Best Sellers, Xbone is trailing far behind PS4 so I don't think the brand loyalty he's talking about will help Xbone.....

All the top 10 games are on PS4 and Xbone games aren't even in the top 32. I know people will say it's because the PS4 is about to launch but the truth of the matter is that Xbone games have been trailing their PS4 counterparts since E3 on Amazon. All the best selling nextgen games have been PS4, same with the accessories and even the PS4 itself has been consistently outselling the Xbone on Amazon US.

To be fair, the PS4 is launching this week. More people are going to be purchasing things for it.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

LOL. no have you ever seen one of these forecasts come true?

Me either.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@lhughey: True but like I said in my post PS4 games have been trending higher on Amazon since E3, it's not something that started this week alone. Also the Xbone launches a week after the PS4, a mere 9+ days away.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

How's your water cooler? lol

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@danabo said:

"IHS forecasts 49 million PS4 sales by the end of 2017, compared to 38 million Xbox One sales"

Vastly outsold

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kingtito

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

Good response. Guess you can't refute anything I've said.

BTW I game on a GTX 780ti. Enjoy your 1080p graphics with frame rate problems and medium settings.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shewgenja

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

BTW I game on a GTX 780ti. Enjoy your 1080p graphics with frame rate problems and medium settings.

Waiting for 800 series before upgrading. I primarily PC game, actually.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Either the IHC prediction will be close or they will pull a IDC and their prediction will fail badly.I will laugh hard if the latter happens.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@lhughey said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Obligatory

Yeah I trust those guys, because they were so right last time!!!!! :D

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@lhughey said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Obligatory

Yeah I trust those guys, because they were so right last time!!!!! :D

This prediction is from the IHC and not the IDC unless the IDC is the same company as the IHC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Of course it will. Only lems are in denial about this. The PS4 will definitely outsell the X1 being the only exception the USA and there are even chances that might not even happen at all

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito said:

@Shewgenja said:

Waiting for 800 series before upgrading. I primarily PC game, actually.

I couldn't wait any longer. I've been gaming on the 560ti for long enough. I wanted to play BF4 and there was no way I was going to do with the card I had.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

PS4 will be the next PS2.

X1 will be the next X1 LMAO.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

YOu do realize that sales jump is because of the "buy 2, get 1 free" PS4 promotion going on right now, yes?