PS4 to support 4K resolution, has 4K movie service

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/4040932/sony-4k-movie-service-will-work-with-ps4-require-100gb-plus-downloads

Well damn, apparently a single 4K movie can take up as much as 100GB. This could mean much larger HDD's for PS4.

Of course, this is only with movies, not related to games. But at least the support is there, it could mean a very probable jump to 4K gaming next gen.

#2 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26220 posts) -

Does 4K mean anything? or would this be the same as putting 1080p Image Resolution something as small as a iPod?

#3 Posted by Inconsistancy (8094 posts) -

Does 4K mean anything? or would this be the same as putting 1080p Image Resolution something as small as a iPod?

LegatoSkyheart

3840x2160, I think the pixel density of a 1080p 32" tv at a few feet is sufficient... so it means nothing to me.

#4 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26236 posts) -

it could mean a very probable jump to 4K gaming next gen.

XVision84

It's like gaming last gen. Sure they play 1080p movies, but we still had games barely reaching 720p.

And we need 4K TVs and 4K/DisplayPort Blu-Ray players before that happens.

#5 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2982 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart
This years 5" phones are starting to launch with 1080p screens, so it looks like it is inevitable that TVs will jump on the 4k train, regardless of whether it makes a difference.
#6 Posted by KillaCattle (64 posts) -
Well they were speaking about 4k videos at the same compression rate as 1080p videos on Blu ray...within the next couple years, when new video compression standards come into fruition, the size of videos will decrease without sacrificing video quality. Internet speeds should also see an increase in the next 5 or so years.
#7 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26220 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Inconsistancy

3840x2160 = "4k", it's 4x the total resolution.

Yeah, but what's the difference? From what I've seen anything after 1080p is pretty much the same.

This years 5" phones are starting to launch with 1080p screens, so it looks like it is inevitable that TVs will jump on the 4k train, regardless of whether it makes a difference.APiranhaAteMyVa

that's not what I'm getting at.

I mean yeah, the picture quality is 1080p, but the screen you have a lot smaller than that. So no matter how big the resolution is, it's completely wasted.

Like the smaller the screen the less the picture quality matters. do you know what I mean?

#8 Posted by Inconsistancy (8094 posts) -

Yeah, but what's the difference? From what I've seen anything after 1080p is pretty much the same.LegatoSkyheart
Yea I misread, it's nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I think the adoption will be the same as 3D, people will get it just because it's there (once it's at an acceptible price). 

#9 Posted by T-Bone91 (283 posts) -
The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.
#10 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Well 4K is the next big thing so I don't see why not. When Blu Ray came out it had a early jump  so I guess it will be same for 4K.

#11 Posted by KillaCattle (64 posts) -
The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.T-Bone91
Who says they are not doing both?...Sony is a large conglomerate. They can't only focus on one thing at a time. They have multiple teams working on multiple products, standards, services etc. BTW 3D is not as important as people make it out to be..Most folks who have 3D TVs don't even use the feature. At this stage 3D is more of a gimmick and I'd rather a game have a steady frame rate at 60fps 1080p with no 3D than including 3D and causing drops in the frame rate.
#12 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26236 posts) -

Yeah, but what's the difference? From what I've seen anything after 1080p is pretty much the same.

LegatoSkyheart

Higher resolution, that's all. Increased clarity ftw. All depends on size and distance from the screen.

#13 Posted by humpmasterflex (363 posts) -

this service will make them bankrupt. I mean the cheapest 4k tv out there costs $10,000 and others are significantly upwards of that price. WHo the hell is going to buy such a tv to watch such programming? Defninitely not anyone here.

The console peasants here complain about how expensive a high end pc is that costs $800, so you think they are going to buy a $10,000 TV? lol.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26220 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

ChubbyGuy40

Higher resolution, that's all. Increased clarity ftw. All depends on size and distance from the screen.

exactly my point!

What does 4K do that 1080p doesn't already?

Movies have never looked clearer and the only comparison I saw for it was pretty minimal, in fact it looks like as if the only difference between 1080p and 4K is that 4K is bigger.

4K won't mean a thing if the average person has a 32'' Screen.

#15 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

good news for all 10 people who actually have and can afford a 4k tv

#16 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

Thank you based RAM

#17 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"] 3840x2160 = "4k", it's 4x the total resolution.LegatoSkyheart

This years 5" phones are starting to launch with 1080p screens, so it looks like it is inevitable that TVs will jump on the 4k train, regardless of whether it makes a difference.APiranhaAteMyVa

I mean yeah, the picture quality is 1080p, but the screen you have a lot smaller than that. So no matter how big the resolution is, it's completely wasted.

Like the smaller the screen the less the picture quality matters. do you know what I mean?

From what you've seen? :P

You haven't seen a true 4K res video yet, none of us can tell the difference because none of us have seen it. Maybe when it's more widely available we'll see how great it is.

#18 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart

4K tellys will be required to display 4K pictures.

I seriously doubt any 32" 4K televisions will be produced. That's like buying a Ferrari and having to drive under the speed limit.

#19 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

Thank you based RAM

Zaibach

Yeah man, RAM fixes everything.

#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26220 posts) -

You haven't seen a true 4K res video yet, none of us can tell the difference because none of us have seen it. Maybe when it's more widely available we'll see how great it is.

XVision84

look at this video

720p to 1080p is more noticable than 1080p to the higher resolutions.

#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26220 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

balfe1990

I seriously doubt any 32" 4K televisions will be produced. That's like buying a Ferrari and having to drive under the speed limit.

but what's the driving point of 4K?

1080p there was a clear (very clear) difference between the two.

Here it just seems it's just a name to sell to rich people.

#22 Posted by PcGamingRig (7139 posts) -

The majority of console fanboys complain about PCs being too expensive to build so I can imagine this feature being useless due to the cost of a 4K pixel TV.

Console = £500

TV = £25,000

Watching console fanboys boast about the feature even though they will probably never use it = Priceless :P

#23 Posted by egger7577 (605 posts) -
[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

I saw The Hobbit back in Dec in 5K HFR Imax and it was simply the most amazing film technology I've ever seen. It was really impressive visually and I look foward to seening more films in Ultra HD. I assume Sony is allowing this feature to make the console future proof but they're no 4K tv's out yet nor is there any content available. Another problem is how to tranport these high resolutions to your home. A new form of physical media would have to be created or downloads. A lot of ISP's have download limits so speeds would need to increase and caps would need to be lifted. This is something that will be more commonplace eventually but not in the near future.
#24 Posted by PcGamingRig (7139 posts) -

Unless they plan for the PS4 to be around for quite a long time, which would mean it would be a smart move in terms of watching movies in HD in the future, as it would be ahead in resolution and the TVs will be cheaper.

But with the speed at which gaming hardware is evolving, the hardware for gaming in the console would be quite outdated in 5 - 10 years so they would probably have to update or make a new console anyway.

#25 Posted by egger7577 (605 posts) -
[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

Unless they plan for the PS3 to be around for quite a long time, which would mean it would be a smart move in terms of watching movies in HD in the future, as it would be ahead in resolution and the TVs will be cheaper.

But with the speed at which gaming hardware is evolving, the hardware for gaming in the console would be quite outdated in 5 - 10 years so they would probably have to update or make a new console anyway.

If they could afford to. My PS3 is basically now my Bluray/Netflix/Youtube player. I've been gaming on the PC for about a year now.
#26 Posted by JamDev (987 posts) -
I suspect that this will only come into play very late in the next console cycle if ever. HDTV's cost $8000 or so when they first came out and it took a good five years before they dropped in price enough to be of interest to the average consumer. I would expect it will be a similar story with 4k displays. Nice bit of future proofing for the console and might open a niche for the PS4 with gadget geeks but I can't see it being of much benefit to the average user in the short term.
#27 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

It's just Sony trying to push their own tech and products.

Nobody will use it initially(assuming it's available at launch-ish, and not 3 o4 years into the consoles lifespan which is the more likely scenario). Then, prices on the currently ludicrously expensive 4K TVs will drop significantly. The well-off will be able to afford them, and it won't make it into the mainstream exactly, but more than a handful will be able to experience it. Given Sony's long term plans with the PS4, it makes sense to prepare for the future which approaches faster by the year, if you get my drift.

Bear in mind, these TVs will probably range from 60-80", and that'd be the "budget" range. 

#28 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Any improvement in tech is GOOD NEWS.
Many people dont have 4K but at least the PS4 will support and besides, who knows, you may get a 4K tv in future.

#29 Posted by Willy105 (24587 posts) -
The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.T-Bone91
3DTV's aren't the future; they never were the future because you needed 3D glasses to use them. 4k TV's however....well....they might be the future for those really big 70" and 80" TV's.
#30 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

Erm, they're quite clever on the contrary. Sony makes TVs. They'll make 4K TVs. What better way to pair your brand new 4K ready PS4, than with a brand new 4K ready Sony TV? The PS4 will bleed into their other products, like the PSV. They're trying to build an eco-system.

And they said themselves, 3DTVs was just a mild distraction for the industry, never a focus, and never a logical next step in the advancement of tellys.

3D was a big thing a couple of years ago we made it a big thing because it was lead by the consumer electronics side of Sony and we liked what we could do on PS3 using 3D stereoscopic, Yoshida said. But now the consumer electronics side of Sony, or all of the companies have shifted focus from 3D TV to something else, so if theyre not talking about it, why would we?

Yoshida

4K, on the other hand, will play a major role in Sony's future.

#31 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10765 posts) -
Bring on 4K. My next monitor upgrade will be to a 4K 30 Incher. So Hurry Hurry..
#32 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Bring on 4K. My next monitor upgrade will be to a 4K 30 Incher. So Hurry Hurry..ShadowDeathX
Isn't the cheapest one like 5k something?O_o

#33 Posted by clyde46 (47438 posts) -
Sony are one of the companies that are pushing 4K, just the same way as they did with 3D. Sony are one of the big boys in the broadcast world, filming in 4K is a lot esaier that than 3D.
#34 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.Willy105
3DTV's aren't the future; they never were the future because you needed 3D glasses to use them. 4k TV's however....well....they might be the future for those really big 70" and 80" TV's.

Actully you don't need glasses for 3D and 3DS is prove of that, the stereoscopic 3D is all about sending 2 diffrent pictures to seperate eyes and thats it, it does not need to be glasses. So 3D is the future but some problems need to be solved first, not to menation it very easy to implement in VR.
#35 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (443 posts) -
I want 4k movies in theatres, imagine 4k resolution on a super big screen, awesome.
#36 Posted by clyde46 (47438 posts) -
I want 4k movies in theatres, imagine 4k resolution on a super big screen, awesome.KodiakKoolaid
4K is already well used in cinema's.
#37 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (443 posts) -
[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]I want 4k movies in theatres, imagine 4k resolution on a super big screen, awesome.clyde46
4K is already well used in cinema's.

Is it in all theatres or select ones cos in my country I can see alot of grain in the film.
#38 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28494 posts) -
Dear Sony, outside of a few 1000 die-hard tech fanatics, no one cares atm.
#39 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -
Cool ****. I'd like to pick up a 4k 80" at some point in the future.
#40 Posted by T-Bone91 (283 posts) -
[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.clyde46
Sony are one of the companies that are pushing 4K, just the same way as they did with 3D. Sony are one of the big boys in the broadcast world, filming in 4K is a lot esaier that than 3D.

4k is okay for theatres but an average consumer will not be buying a 50"-80" TV to take advantage of the 4k resolution.Most middle class families won't be able to buy a 4k TV to begin with.Mark my words this 4k service of theirs will flop.
#41 Posted by T-Bone91 (283 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Bring on 4K. My next monitor upgrade will be to a 4K 30 Incher. So Hurry Hurry..mitu123

Who's the chick in your sig?
#42 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Bring on 4K. My next monitor upgrade will be to a 4K 30 Incher. So Hurry Hurry..T-Bone91

Who's the chick in your sig?

If you're talking about the redhead it's Leanna Decker.

#43 Posted by Bigboi500 (30964 posts) -

Great, 10TB HDDs incoming @ $1000.  :lol:

#44 Posted by clyde46 (47438 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="T-Bone91"]The majority of consumers haven't even adopted 3D TV's yet and they are gonna launch a 4K resolution movie service?WTH is sony thinking?Why not just focus on ensuring games running in 3D,60fps and 1080p???Whoever does product planning at sony is a moron.T-Bone91

4k is okay for theatres but an average consumer will not be buying a 50"-80" TV to take advantage of the 4k resolution.Most middle class families won't be able to buy a 4k TV to begin with.Mark my words this 4k service of theirs will flop.

Trust me bro, I've see the broadcast end of it, its not going to fail.
#45 Posted by T-Bone91 (283 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="T-Bone91"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Sony are one of the companies that are pushing 4K, just the same way as they did with 3D. Sony are one of the big boys in the broadcast world, filming in 4K is a lot esaier that than 3D.

Trust me bro, I've see the broadcast end of it, its not going to fail.

On a 32 inch or an 80 inch TV?The only way you would see the difference is if you did a 200% zoom.
#46 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9434 posts) -

Good save me from having to buy a 4K BR player. I just hope it supports 4K 3D. :P

#47 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

No 4k Games support for PS4 and Xbox 720. 10 Years from now when they have 500GB bluray 2's and PS5 and Xbox 1080 are out we will see 4K and maybe 8K games.

4k really is not needed anytime soon. I can do with out it for 10 years or so. as 4k TV's right cost a WTH $15,000. Who would pay that much for a TV, a millionaire?

#48 Posted by Heil68 (46722 posts) -

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

it could mean a very probable jump to 4K gaming next gen.

ChubbyGuy40

It's like gaming last gen. Sure they play 1080p movies, but we still had games barely reaching 720p.

And we need 4K TVs and 4K/DisplayPort Blu-Ray players before that happens.

Exactly and I'm not shelling out the money for a TV that is barley supported with any media.
#49 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

No 4k Games support for PS4 and Xbox 720. 10 Years from now when they have 500GB bluray 2's and PS5 and Xbox 1080 are out we will see 4K and maybe 8K games.

4k really is not needed anytime soon. I can do with out it for 10 years or so.

Mrmedia01
Good grief! It's for video playback .
#50 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html