PS4 to lead all consoles with 51 million sold: 2016 - IDC

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

As I don't have any games to play on my Sony systems I invite you to play sales with me. Winner stays on.

International Data Corporation (IDC) is preparing to publish its latest console forecast and the research firm has given GamesIndustry International an exclusive preview of the report. There are several key takeaways to note, including Sony's dominance of the new console cycle, Microsoft's need to unbundle Kinect, and a general decline in the physical retail side of the games business.

IDC predicts that Sony's PlayStation 4 will have the single biggest share of the market in 2016 with 51 million sold globally. Microsoft hasn't been faring quite as well, but IDC believes Xbox One will make a serious comeback, particularly in North America where it's forecasted to take the lead. This will be spurred on by unbundling Kinect, IDC said.

"The presumed unbundling of Kinect and Xbox One, which should facilitate rough price parity between it and the PS4, should lead to a spike in Xbox One sales; assuming the console and sensor are unbundled in 2015, IDC expects Xbox One to recover and emerge with the largest installed base of any console in North America by the end of 2016," the firm explained.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's Wii U is expected to finally receive "the equivalent of a $50 price cut worldwide in late 2014 or early 2015," but it won't make a serious dent in the installed base gap between Wii U and the competition.

Looking at the bigger picture, the retail component of the video game business is expected to see continued declines, IDC said. IDC's forecast states that, together, eighth generation consoles will generate about 10 percent less retail revenue from console hardware and disc-based games than seventh generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) consoles did combined through their first six years on the market.

That being said, total eighth generation console hardware revenue actually is projected to come in above the comparable seventh generation total thanks to higher average selling prices (ASPs). It's a different story, however, for the physical disc business, which IDC forecasts will see 45 percent fewer discs sold to retailers in the first six years compared to the seventh generation physical games sales.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ld-by-2016-idc

Looks like lots of people feel as if Kinect is the problem. Discuss.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

After the prediction IDC made last gen I don`t trust them that much. The PS4 will sell 10-15 million lower than that by then most likely, but this will depend on the time period they are talking about. The rate of PS4 adoption in Japan will most likely cripple the amount the PS4 sells by then.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Dat IDC

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Lotta bold statements from an entity with a poor track record.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Remember this?

EDIT: damn it lostrib!

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

well they are a company who spends money to make estimates so i trust them 100%. sony is going to dominate this gen, this much is fact. truth fact

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

That's 16 million a year.. Not sure about that but it's POSSIBLE

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

As I don't have any games to play on my Sony systems I invite you to play sales with me. Winner stays on.

International Data Corporation (IDC) is preparing to publish its latest console forecast and the research firm has given GamesIndustry International an exclusive preview of the report. There are several key takeaways to note, including Sony's dominance of the new console cycle, Microsoft's need to unbundle Kinect, and a general decline in the physical retail side of the games business.

IDC predicts that Sony's PlayStation 4 will have the single biggest share of the market in 2016 with 51 million sold globally. Microsoft hasn't been faring quite as well, but IDC believes Xbox One will make a serious comeback, particularly in North America where it's forecasted to take the lead. This will be spurred on by unbundling Kinect, IDC said.

"The presumed unbundling of Kinect and Xbox One, which should facilitate rough price parity between it and the PS4, should lead to a spike in Xbox One sales; assuming the console and sensor are unbundled in 2015, IDC expects Xbox One to recover and emerge with the largest installed base of any console in North America by the end of 2016," the firm explained.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's Wii U is expected to finally receive "the equivalent of a $50 price cut worldwide in late 2014 or early 2015," but it won't make a serious dent in the installed base gap between Wii U and the competition.

Looking at the bigger picture, the retail component of the video game business is expected to see continued declines, IDC said. IDC's forecast states that, together, eighth generation consoles will generate about 10 percent less retail revenue from console hardware and disc-based games than seventh generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) consoles did combined through their first six years on the market.

That being said, total eighth generation console hardware revenue actually is projected to come in above the comparable seventh generation total thanks to higher average selling prices (ASPs). It's a different story, however, for the physical disc business, which IDC forecasts will see 45 percent fewer discs sold to retailers in the first six years compared to the seventh generation physical games sales.

The same company that claimed the PS3 would shift 105 million units by 2012, the 360 would only sell 40 million units by 2012 and the PS3 would outsell the wii by 2012.

yeah, Not buyin it.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Analyst_predictions?file=ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

So they believe in one year (estimating what the PS4 will be at by December of this year) that the PS4 will somehow sell close to 40 million?

Sig

____

New2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161295749952?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

51 million by 16? Sounds fox crazy.

More like 35 to 40.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

So they believe in one year (estimating what the PS4 will be at by December of this year) that the PS4 will somehow sell close to 40 million?

Sig

____

New2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161295749952?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

They are probably counting until the end of 2016 or start of 2016. It will literally have to sell 22.5+ million in Europe,22.5+million in NA and like 6 million everywere else by 2016 to get anywhere near 51 million.It`s a lot more doable if they are talking about by the end of 2016, but I really don`t think the PS4 will have anywere near a 5 million LTD in Japan(2-4 million is likely for an LTD in Japan by then) to make this prediction even possible by the start of 2016.Smaller countries may have an ltd under a million.At the rate the PS4 is selling it will be at 6-9 million by the end of the year in NA,6-9 million in Europe and under a million in Japan(most likely). The only time the PS4 will be able to sell like crazy is during the holiday season, but it won`t be enough to put it at 51 million by the start of 2016 and maybe even the end of 2016.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

I believe it.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

And cows have be owned again.

LOL

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

LOL at all that indie filler

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LadyBlue

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

LMAO! Lems can't play the sales, or games card.

bu bu bu

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@ladyblue said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

bu bu bu

And you are playing Putty Squad and Steamworld Dig? GTFO.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By misterpmedia

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

lol at that massive baron wasteland that is near future Xbone game releases.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Thread/

Man I remember these projections last gen and laughing all gen. Now Sony Fan trots out another dumb prediction made by the same dummies that brought you this information last gen.

Sony Fan continue to be the clowns of SW.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LadyBlue

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ladyblue said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

bu bu bu

Bwahahahahah sit down you salty lem.

keep the tears coming.
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LadyBlue

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

They haven't had anything to play since the first week of March.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 misterpmedia

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

No future release dates for anything on the usual list wars either, hell even Driveclub has a release date now. Good job they liked Titanfall, they'll be playing it for a while. On top of that, inferior multiplats a plenty. I'm looking at you Watch_Dogs.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
@ladyblue said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ladyblue said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

bu bu bu

Bwahahahahah sit down you salty lem.

keep the tears coming.

Not even close. Keep living in that mad denial about playing crap filler. Someday you will get a 9/10 game to play that isnt a Facebook game.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@misterpmedia said:

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

No future release dates for anything on the usual list wars either, hell even Driveclub has a release date now. Good job they liked Titanfall, they'll be playing it for a while. On top of that, inferior multiplats a plenty. I'm looking at you Watch_Dogs.

Yep, and while i have been playing the shit out of Forza 5 with new cars and tracks, cows have been watching 10 clips of DelayClub. WatchStation confirmed. Greatness hanging on by a thread.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I'm willing to entertain that idea. I think Sony is going to not make the mistake of releasing great games so late. They'll get them out the door this year and next and by then they'll have a price cut too.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

sony will dominate, there's no doubt about that.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

Where's Lost Rib the PC fanatic to tell you that you can't post sources like this? LOL

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By misterpmedia

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@misterpmedia said:

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

Yep, and while i have been playing the shit out of Forza 5 with new cars and tracks, cows have been watching 10 clips of DelayClub. WatchStation confirmed. Greatness hanging on by a thread.

lol less of the over compensation please. I know you like the game but c'mon. WatchStation, lems have been telling me about Cloud_Dogs for a good while now, loss of confidence, perhaps?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Where's Lost Rib the PC fanatic to tell you that you can't post sources like this? LOL

...I would be the 3rd post in this thread.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clr84651

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

You gotta fight with this guy for using this source. You can't allow lies like this to be told! LOL!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

You gotta fight with this guy for using this source. You can't allow lies like this to be told! LOL!

What the hell are you talking about?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@misterpmedia said:

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

lol less of the over compensation please. I know you like the game but c'mon. WatchStation, lems have been telling me about Cloud_Dogs for a good while now, loss of confidence, perhaps?

No loss here. Meh all around with that one from jump street.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

C'mon tell him off for using it.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By misterpmedia

So what I've learned by the replies is that this website has a fantastic track record and that I should probably rely on them more for future predictions in the console space.

Good to know.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

No way in hell it's going to hit 50mil by 2016, maybe by 2018

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clr84651

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

Never mind. I was just joking around.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By misterpmedia

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

I think he's using playground rules. I can feel the circle being formed already. Do you fight dirty?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lostrib

@clr84651 said:

Never mind. I was just joking around.

@misterpmedia said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

I think he's using playground rules. I can feel the circle being formed already. Do you fight dirty?

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell he is trying to get at

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LadyBlue

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@misterpmedia said:

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

Sad lem already got tired of Titafall, and went back to playing launch games. hahahahah

Meanwhile sony fans get to play

Infamous

MLB the Show

Bound By flames

All the excellent indies, that don't arrive on xbone, while they wait for Drive Club, the order, Uncharted, Rime, Last of US remastered(game of the forever, but better), Project Beast and the superior version of every multiplats.

Deal with it dirty lemming.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@misterpmedia said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

Tell who off?

There is no damn good topics right now. We need Sony to fire someone or fully implement DRM. This shit is killing me. I am finally on my PC and not that hunk of shit iPad and this happens.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@super600: You have been a PSs4 pessimist from Day One so I taking any you say with a grain of salt, actually a lot of salt!.

I'm pretty sure all the increased sales in the US and UK will mitigate any damage from loss of market in Japan in which it still outsell Xbox One easily.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 misterpmedia

@FoxbatAIpha lol I agree. I'm in the mood for an argument.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Transistor and MLB The show are both going to be very good games. Lems lose again in May. Bound By Flame is meh, but better than NO game.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@misterpmedia said:

@ladyblue said:

@misterpmedia said:

@RR360DD said:

@tonitorsi said:

@RR360DD said:

@lostrib said:

Dat IDC

LOL

Sad lem already got tired of Titafall, and went back to playing launch games. hahahahah

Meanwhile sony fans get to play

Infamous

MLB the Show

Bound By flames

All the excellent indies, that don't arrive on xbone, while they wait for Drive Club, the order, Uncharted, Rime, Last of US remastered(game of the forever, but better), Project Beast and the superior version of every multiplats.

Deal with it dirty lemming.

I just played TitanFall on Sunday. How many achievements did you get playing it?

Oh and they are some real gems you listed there. Especially the one about the emo hipster.

I'm not mad at you though.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAIpha lol I agree. I'm in the mood for an argument.

I'm in the mood to buy an Xbox one

I put away a lot of money last week so i'm kinda tempted to spend it

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LadyBlue
@StrongBlackVine said:

Transistor and MLB The show are both going to be very good games. Lems lose again in May. Bound By Flame is meh, but better than NO game.

Thats what they get for buying the bone. lol I almost feel for them, but then they post, and I put them in their place.

Bunch of angry lems. lel

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LadyBlue

@FoxbatAlpha: "I'm not mad" precisely what a mad lem would say. lmao