PS4 Share function - may not be a requirement in all games

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

I said this weeks ago, we didn't know if it would be a universal thing or if some games will use it at all.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/devs-will-have-the-option-to-disable-ps4-sharing-functions/0115200

The PS4s share button may not be available at all times or in all titles.

Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told4gamer.net, as translated by CVG, that developers will be able to disable sharing if they wish to protect elements of their game.

The move was inspired by Dark Souls, a game for which Yoshida apparently has quite a thing and which thrives very much on its many secrets.

"There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see," he explained. "For example, on Vita, developers can in certain scenes disable the feature that lets users take a screenshot, and [the Share function] will have a similar mechanism.

"The creator may not want to make video of the final boss sharable, for instance."

The news is yet another example of Sony going out of its way to cater for a developers every want and desire which certainly seems like a sensible strategy.

maybe it will end up under used like Six-axis

This is why i am waiting till we get all the info from MS and Both companies e3 presentations.

lets just wait and see...

#2 Posted by SecretPolice (21382 posts) -

To share or not to share, that is the question - so I guess some companies can decide to be umm, stingy and not allow sharing. :P

#3 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

To share or not to share, that is the question - so I guess some companies can decide to be umm, stingy and not allow sharing. :P

SecretPolice
it's the right decision. but i just wonder if it will get forgotten about. these share function things are crap IMO. i dont use facebook, but if i did, i would be pissed off quick with people telling me about unlocking achivements every 5 minutes...
#4 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Like the PS Vita screenshot feature? I would prefer it in every game, people can still capture their own video and do whatever so this will only limit WHO can show things, and I think it will be used to hide buggy games, imagine Star Trek, they would have blocked it.
#5 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
same as the screenshot feature in the vita.. most games DO use it though..not really any reason for devs not to include it
#6 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

sts106mat
it's the right decision. but i just wonder if it will get forgotten about. these share function things are crap IMO. i dont use facebook, but if i did, i would be pissed off quick with people telling me about unlocking achivements every 5 minutes...

...... sharing is MASSIVE in the PC industry, streaming, lets play recordings, it adds marketing to games aswell, if more people can do it everyone benefits, for those of you that dont care, you don't have to touch it and it effects you in no shape or form. So why is it the right decision because YOU don't use it? Cmon man.... thats pretty irrational thinking.
#7 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

MBirdy88

...... sharing is MASSIVE in the PC industry, streaming, lets play recordings, it adds marketing to games aswell, if more people can do it everyone benefits, for those of you that dont care, you don't have to touch it and it effects you in no shape or form. So why is it the right decision because YOU don't use it? Cmon man.... thats pretty irrational thinking.

because its an option and options are good.
#8 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] it's the right decision. but i just wonder if it will get forgotten about. these share function things are crap IMO. i dont use facebook, but if i did, i would be pissed off quick with people telling me about unlocking achivements every 5 minutes...

Removing the feature takes away what should be a standerdized feature from those that want it ..... you know where the option lies? to not press the share button.....
#9 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i dont care about the share function for 'sharing' I just like having my OWN collection of screenshots/videos for my own personal use.
#10 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] ...... sharing is MASSIVE in the PC industry, streaming, lets play recordings, it adds marketing to games aswell, if more people can do it everyone benefits, for those of you that dont care, you don't have to touch it and it effects you in no shape or form. So why is it the right decision because YOU don't use it? Cmon man.... thats pretty irrational thinking.

Removing the feature takes away what should be a standerdized feature from those that want it ..... you know where the option lies? to not press the share button.....

"There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see" thats from Sony themselves. there needn't be another reason.
#11 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] because its an option and options are good.

"There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see" thats from Sony themselves. there needn't be another reason.

like what? its obsurd.
#12 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Removing the feature takes away what should be a standerdized feature from those that want it ..... you know where the option lies? to not press the share button.....

like what? its obsurd.

errr.. lemme think, while i do that, how about you read the OP.
#13 Posted by tormentos (16767 posts) -

I said this weeks ago, we didn't know if it would be a universal thing or if some games will use it at all.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/devs-will-have-the-option-to-disable-ps4-sharing-functions/0115200

Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told4gamer.net, as translated by CVG, that developers will be able to disable sharing if they wish to protect elements of their game.

The move was inspired by Dark Souls, a game for which Yoshida apparently has quite a thing and which thrives very much on its many secrets.

"There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see," he explained. "For example, on Vita, developers can in certain scenes disable the feature that lets users take a screenshot, and [the Share function] will have a similar mechanism.

"The creator may not want to make video of the final boss sharable, for instance."

The news is yet another example of Sony going out of its way to cater for a developers every want and desire which certainly seems like a sensible strategy.

This is why i am waiting till we get all the info from MS and Both companies e3 presentations.

sts106mat

Wow you totally miss his point completely..:lol:

Some companies could block the feature on a final boss or something like that to prevent spoilers oh god...:lol:

Some of you are beyond help.

#14 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] "There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see" thats from Sony themselves. there needn't be another reason.

like what? its obsurd.

I read it .... but its stupid because all of these elements will be plastered over youtube straight away anyway..... there is absolutely no point in blocking it because there are already 100s of way to record every single game ever made. all the standerdized Share does is allow anyone to do it conveniantly. A really REALLY dumb concept to block parts of games. A better feature would be to be able to block games from your feed (if there is even a feed) of new or upcoming games to avoid spoilers, dont remove the share functionality from the user. Incredibly poor idea.
#15 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

tormentos

Some companies could block the feature on a final boss or something like that to prevent spoilers oh god...:lol:

keep proving your an idiot, it beings me laughs every time.
#16 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

tormentos

thats exactly what i wrote eltormo, are you missing the point?
#17 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] like what? its obsurd.MBirdy88

I read it .... but its stupid because all of these elements will be plastered over youtube straight away anyway..... there is absolutely no point in blocking it because there are already 100s of way to record every single game ever made. all the standerdized Share does is allow anyone to do it conveniantly. A really REALLY dumb concept to block parts of games. A better feature would be to be able to block games from your feed (if there is even a feed) of new or upcoming games to avoid spoilers, dont remove the share functionality from the user. Incredibly poor idea.

that unfortunately is the world we live in. but making it even easier is not a good idea.

recently some tool on GS spoiled a bit of bioshock infinite for me and many others. i dont see why i should have to avoid the web and social media to be able to enjoy a game spoiler free.

#18 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Obviously not every game would require that function but i doubt alot of developers would refuse to use it as it is a good marketing tool

#19 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

Obviously not every game would require that function but i doubt alot of developers would refuse to use it as it is a good marketing tool

megaspiderweb09
the worry is, will it be a under-used feature like six-axis, now that it is optional.
#20 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] errr.. lemme think, while i do that, how about you read the OP.sts106mat

that unfortunately is the world we live in. but making it even easier is not a good idea.

recently some tool on GS spoiled a bit of bioshock infinite for me and many others. i dont see why i should have to avoid the web and social media to be able to enjoy a game spoiler free.

Why does recording or screenshots change that? its exactly the same as text in which anyone can do to spoil a game for you. ITs another case of "WAAAAH ban a technology because a few idiots will ruin elements for others" ..... and I am never in favour of that world view....
#21 Posted by tormentos (16767 posts) -

keep proving your an idiot, it beings me laughs every time.MBirdy88

Na i have more fun proving your an even bigger one..:lol:

#22 Posted by Sushiglutton (5206 posts) -
Think it's smart to leave this kind of stuff to the devs. It's their IP, let them decide.
#23 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] I read it .... but its stupid because all of these elements will be plastered over youtube straight away anyway..... there is absolutely no point in blocking it because there are already 100s of way to record every single game ever made. all the standerdized Share does is allow anyone to do it conveniantly. A really REALLY dumb concept to block parts of games. A better feature would be to be able to block games from your feed (if there is even a feed) of new or upcoming games to avoid spoilers, dont remove the share functionality from the user. Incredibly poor idea.MBirdy88

Why does recording or screenshots change that? its exactly the same as text in which anyone can do to spoil a game for you. ITs another case of "WAAAAH ban a technology because a few idiots will ruin elements for others" ..... and I am never in favour of that world view....

it just makes its easier for them. i wouldn't make use of it personally, i can see both the attraction and benefit of such a feature though.
#24 Posted by tormentos (16767 posts) -

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

sts106mat

the worry is, will it be a under-used feature like six-axis, now that it is optional.

You still are missing is point,in fact all games could have it,and block it at some points,wait isn't that what Activision did with party chat in certain modes on xbox live,so party chat is not mandatory.?

#25 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

sts106mat

huge difference, the six-axis was just some silly gimick, while the share button being a gimmick itself, it's actully benifits the developers, it's basiclly free advertising

people sharing your game around will interest many people, don't see developers missing this chance, plus the internet play a huge roll with games today

#26 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] keep proving your an idiot, it beings me laughs every time.tormentos

Na i have more fun proving your an even bigger one..:lol:

"No U" the comeback of an idiot.
#27 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

tormentos

You still are missing is point,in fact all games could have it,and block it at some points,wait isn't that what Activision did with party chat in certain modes on xbox live,so party chat is not mandatory.?

yeah, they did block it for one or two multiplayer modes, and rightly so.
#28 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

Sweenix

huge difference, the six-axis was just some silly gimick, while the share button being a gimmick itself, it's actully benifits the developers, it's basiclly free advertising

people sharing your game around will interest many people, don't see developers missing this chance, plus the internet play a huge roll with games today

good points.
#29 Posted by Karpetburnz (544 posts) -

Its good that developers have the option to disable the share feature at certain times in a game, but do you think developers will do it? surely they realise that people can just use a PVR?

but anyway, yes the share features on the PS4 will be a big thing, sharing is HUGE now days, I log on to Facebook everyday and all I see is pictures and videos people have shared. even I share memes and videos to Facebook all the time, And if you think its annoying, you can block posts from certain people on Facebook.

#30 Posted by Heil68 (43248 posts) -
Innovation-->Technology-->Options-->Fun The Sony way. Thank you Sony. BTW there was a thread about this yesterday. :P
#31 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

Graphics > Cutscenes > mediocre plots and characters > feature copying > graphics > Cutscenes > more cutscenes > fun/gameplay Heil68

Fixed it for you all hail movie makers sony!

#32 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

That was a given.

#33 Posted by tormentos (16767 posts) -

yeah, they did block it for one or two multiplayer modes, and rightly so.sts106mat

Exactly but it sets a presedent,if Activision can do it,so could others,with a legitimate excuse...

See where i am going.?

The fact that can be block doesn't mean it will be always,remember share button + Facebook = Free publicity which i am sure no developer will hate.

#34 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1680 posts) -

This is something most devs wont even bother to block anything. So i really see no big deal here. Its up to the devs to do whatever they want with their games. If they wanna lock people from recording an ending i think its cool. We dont want 1 million Uncharted 4 ending vids lol. I just record my online owning :)

#35 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

Sweenix

I really don't understand you guys saying that shere is gimmick, after SW posting huge threads with ton of screen shots lot of links with gameplay, this the oddedst thing i ever seen on SW.... it like saying that cross game voice chat gimmick, you can play without it so why do you need it? But ofcorse lems made big deal about it PS3 lacking this feature. Now PS4 got interesting feature new xbox is not even rumored to have and i bet lems will beg MS for it later Also Shere is system independent feature, same as you can make screenshots with PC even if game didn't been programmed to, so no it won't be udnerused feature.... how it can be underused feature in first place?
#36 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

i guess we have saga answer 

They disapprove of sharing their games on youtube

#37 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Thats cool that devs have a choice to share or not.

#38 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

i really don't care what they do with it.

the last thing the world needs is a streamlined process to put even more stupid bullshyt on the internet.

#39 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

the last thing the world needs is a streamlined process to put even more stupid bullshyt on the internet.

Riverwolf007
you mad :lol:
#40 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Or I could just use my capture card and capture/screenshot any amount of gameplay I want.  F U devs.  I do what I want.  But seriously, why do I get the feeling that the share button will be another reminder how Sony added a useless tacked on feature to their game controller.    Useless amounts of unedited clips of gameplay nobody will care to watch unless it has commentary. 

#41 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

MBirdy88

i am.

the entire world is buried under an unending stream of stupid lowbrow pop culture bullshyt and you all just eat it up and want more like it's  normal.

how can i not be mad about it?

#42 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

Or I could just use my capture card and capture/screenshot any amount of gameplay I want.  F U devs.  I do what I want.  But seriously, why do I get the feeling that the share button will be another reminder how Sony added a useless tacked on feature to their game controller.    Useless amounts of unedited clips of gameplay nobody will care to watch unless it has commentary. 

Crossel777

what is also funny is that by the very act of disabling it on certain sections you put a giant waving red flag up as to what sections people want to see the most.

it is always funny to me when people sabotage their own wishes and intent.

#43 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Riverwolf007

i am.

the entire world is buried under an unending stream of stupid lowbrow pop culture bullshyt and you all just eat it up and want more like it's  normal.

Do tell me more hipster, I enjoy irrelevant rants.
#44 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -
[QUOTE="campzor"]same as the screenshot feature in the vita.. most games DO use it though..not really any reason for devs not to include it

If a dev like David Cage who doesnt want people to be spoiling his game to others, that like the only reason why a dev wont allowed it.
#45 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] you mad :lol:MBirdy88

i am.

it's cool, you go enjoy whatever it is you are into.

maybe do a little dance you saw on youtube  or make an arrow to the knee joke or post a umadbrah or butthurt ot jelly meme.

it's not like this has made you a worse person or destroyed your ability to make a point.

not counting you answered the original post with a "you mad?".

see, the very shyt i am talking about controls your responses to things and you don't even know it or  see the harm in it.

funny stuff right?

#46 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]i am.

Riverwolf007

maybe do a little dance you saw on youtube  or make an arrow to the knee joke or post a umadbrah or butthurt ot jelly meme.

it's not like this has made you a worse person or destroyed your ability to make a point.

see, the very shyt i am talking about controls your responses to things and you don't even see the harm in it.

funny stuff right?

So the internet is not allowed to have mindless fun on it now? :roll:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeJSOl2dOdU-S5QLFOJ9Q

ngbbs4e5af2195b765.jpg

#47 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Do tell me more hipster, I enjoy irrelevant rants.MBirdy88

see, the very shyt i am talking about controls your responses to things and you don't even see the harm in it.

funny stuff right?

ngbbs4e5af2195b765.jpg

that has nothing to do with it.

i like stupid shyt too.

what i am saying here is instead of making any kind of a response to show me what a dumbass i am you chose to turn your mind off and post "you mad".

that is where the harm comes from.

you see something repeated a pile of times and that becomes your automatic response.

#48 Posted by MBirdy88 (7409 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]it's cool, you go enjoy whatever it is you are into.

funny stuff right?

Riverwolf007

ngbbs4e5af2195b765.jpg

i like stupid shyt too.

what i am saying here is instead of making any kind of a responce to show me what a dumbass i am you chose to turn your mind off and post "you mad".

You had an angry rant just because of sharing game content and went on a tangent about "pop culture bshit" as if your opinion matters more than "you mad?" because thats all it was... a mindless irrelevant rant. So yea, all you deserved was a "Your mad" .... so you got one. Thats what you get for posting irellevant opinionated bullsh*T.
#49 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23420 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]

ngbbs4e5af2195b765.jpg

MBirdy88

i like stupid shyt too.

what i am saying here is instead of making any kind of a responce to show me what a dumbass i am you chose to turn your mind off and post "you mad".

You had an angry rant just because of sharing game content and went on a tangent about "pop culture bshit" as if your opinion matters more than "you mad?" because thats all it was... a mindless irrelevant rant. So yea, all you deserved was a "Your mad" .... so you got one. Thats what you get for posting irellevant opinionated bullsh*T.

see, this is exactly what i am talking about.

you took a moment to have an actual thought, analyze the situation  and posted that instead of some pop culture meme response.

that was all i ever wanted.

thank you.

#50 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

This is kinda bullshit. If you record gameplay with an external device/software there would be no restrictions. Sony is allowing a great feature to be nerfed. They screwed up.