PS4's hidden DRM! WTF Sony!?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

Apparently you need an Internet connection to access your library application, which displays all of the downloaded apps and games on your ps4. So what happens when you download so many apps and games that your menu stops displaying them? Whelp you gotta have an Internet, (I have Internet but it's so slow it even load the damn application!)

wtf Sony?

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39172 posts) -

I FUCKING KNEW IT

#3 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3979 posts) -

Set your PS4 as your primary PS4, problem solved.

#4 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11610 posts) -

#5 Posted by KittenNose (397 posts) -

You can still play your games right? Worst case you have to format and reinstall? Inconvenient, poorly developed and unorganized maybe. Lots of negative things, but not DRM.

#6 Posted by wolverine4262 (19050 posts) -

I gutta get me wanna those internets.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43462 posts) -
#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29342 posts) -

"so many apps and games" wtf man, don't you do anything else besides playing vidya games?

#9 Posted by BldgIrsh (1619 posts) -

The article months before the actual system was released. Sony has retracted on a lot of things it said prior to the release.

#10 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -
#11 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

I told you fools..... Sony LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (56034 posts) -

I thought this was only true if the PS4 in question wasn't set as your primary PS4?

#13 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

@charizard1605: I went online to set it as primary and it is still giving me the error

#14 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1367 posts) -

This is only true if you DONT set your PS4 as the primary ps4....and Im glad they did this, that way other people can't access my apps. Now go cry.

#15 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -
#16 Edited by High-Res (271 posts) -

@bbkkristian: Sony was actually the first company to patent the DRM on the consoles and to stop used/rental. However, they looked at the market place, although they had a condom in their wallet, they clearly saw there was no reason to strap it on.

Where Microsoft called her a slut and put the condom on their body!

#17 Posted by Bigboi500 (29342 posts) -

dafuq?

#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (87684 posts) -
#19 Posted by commonfate (12252 posts) -

Who the hell plays video games anymore? It's all about Netflix

#20 Posted by kuu2 (6967 posts) -

Sony would never think of having DRM on their console..............lulz.

#21 Posted by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

Sony are some sneaky bastards but even after they've been exposed, their fans still say ahh waiting for more on the face.

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150329 posts) -

Apparently you need an Internet connection to access your library application, which displays all of the downloaded apps and games on your ps4. So what happens when you download so many apps and games that your menu stops displaying them? Whelp you gotta have an Internet, (I have Internet but it's so slow it even load the damn application!)

wtf Sony?

Oh for fucks sake....if you don't have it on your device it's stored online. That is true for e-readers, your cloud storage etc.

#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: so if you have 100 games downloaded on your ps4, you'll have to cycle through every single one? They don't get put into the library?

#24 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150329 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: so if you have 100 games downloaded on your ps4, you'll have to cycle through every single one? They don't get put into the library?

WTF are you talking about?

#25 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: try accessing the library application with the Internet turned off (you know, that thing at the very right of the ps4 menu that holds all your content?) It won't work. The Main menu, I assume it has a max limit of how much software it can hold before it starts dumping into the library application. The same exact application you need an Internet connection to access.

#26 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

They LIED. Something Sony has always been good at doing. Remember they said you would never need to pay for playing multiplayer games online as well. lol!!

#27 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150329 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: try accessing the library application with the Internet turned off (you know, that thing at the very right of the ps4 menu that holds all your content?) It won't work. The Main menu, I assume it has a max limit of how much software it can hold before it starts dumping into the library application. The same exact application you need an Internet connection to access.

Which is no different than anything else....so why the whining?

#28 Posted by Dilrod (4239 posts) -

Half the people here obviously have no clue what DRM actually is.. Smh

#29 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -
#30 Edited by Dilrod (4239 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Exactly. This is an app that unless connected to the internet has no idea what else you have downloaded (this isn't rocket science OP). So your telling me that if I have something that isn't connected to the inter web that it should know what I've purchased??

#31 Posted by sailor232 (4442 posts) -

Sony lies through its teeth and millions believe them (sometimes worship them), when they are caught out its far too late and people move on very quick to forget the lie. Sony can continue this practice for a long long time.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@Dilrod: Yup, it's not DRM, some apps require it others don't.

#33 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13426 posts) -

Microsoft couldn't even come up with an original name.

#34 Posted by SolidTy (42446 posts) -
#35 Posted by navyguy21 (12746 posts) -

You have to activate has your home or primary PS4 so everything is tied to that console. Then everything is available offline. You can still access your content on another PS4 but then you would need to be online.

#36 Edited by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1992 posts) -

Oh Sony would never lie!,, They are perfect and do no wrong! That is what a Sony fanboy would say!

#37 Edited by remiks00 (1709 posts) -
#38 Posted by lostrib (34485 posts) -

is there a finite number of games that show up on the start screen? and then anything else you downloaded is shoved into library?

#39 Posted by dotWithShoes (4834 posts) -
@Dilrod said:

@The_Last_Ride: Exactly. This is an app that unless connected to the internet has no idea what else you have downloaded (this isn't rocket science OP). So your telling me that if I have something that isn't connected to the inter web that it should know what I've purchased??

So you're telling me, when I download a game to my ps4(which I don't have yet), the ps4 won't know that I downloaded it, unless I'm actively connected to the internet? So, unless the internet tells my ps4(that i don't have), that I have a game that is actually on the consoles harddrive, it doesn't know it's there?

#40 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

Oh Sony would never lie!,, They are perfect and do no wrong! That is what a Sony fanboy would say!

Wow, I can see your boner over this from here. Good job!

#41 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Someone's jealous they don't own a ps4. B-)

#42 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

Sounds like an oversight rather than DRM?

#43 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9511 posts) -

This thread should be locked now

#44 Edited by darkspineslayer (19547 posts) -

@bbkkristian: So put the disk of choice in and it pops right up? if you don't have internet, you probably don't have a lot of downloadable games. This is more the shitty UI than DRM.

You're better than this shit, Kris.

#45 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

People really need to start reading through the whole thread before posting

#46 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

link.

and lol thread backfire. TLHBO

#47 Edited by HitmanActual (326 posts) -

#48 Posted by Nightflash28 (2069 posts) -

I really don't get what you're saying. Isn't the library is just a list of all the things you ever downloaded? It shows you all the things you purchased, installed or not, and it's an easy way of accessing something you'd like to download and install again. Not really sure what any of this has to do with DRM.

#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26274 posts) -

Live, love, learn the Sony way everybody! :roll:

#50 Posted by Promised_Trini (3584 posts) -

I see people telling the TC how to fix this problem. But yet he or she is completely ignoring the smart people in the thread.