PS4's Dreaded CE-34878-0 Error. Has It Affected You?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by blackace (20743 posts) -

I saw this story on Gamespot about gamers receiving this CE-34878-0 Error on their PS4. In turn this error has been corrupting gamer's single campaign save files in BF4. What I didn't know was that is was causing issues in other games (Call of Duty, NBA 2K14, Injustice, etc.) and other applications (Group Messaging, PSPlus, etc) on the PS4 as well. The other thing I didn't know is that this has been going on for over a month. There are YouTube videos from 2 months ago about this issue. The problem still exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2ntwdApqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yVwWqik-q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXS6Bs-4Wc

Here was Sony's response to the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7l5twB4784

My question is, "When did Sony actually start investigating this problem?" It's been around for awhile and they haven't provided any patch to get rid of the error permanently. Looking at the link below, you can see the community reported this issue on the forum on 12/4/2013. Then at the end of the thread, gamers are still having issues today with it.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161

So when is Sony going to actually FIX THE ISSUE? Has anyone on here experienced this problem? I'm sure Cows will say "No never." to try and protect their precious hardware. I haven't experienced it yet, but I don't have BF4, CoD, NBA2K14 or Injustice for my PS4. I haven't done group chat or downloaded anything on PSPlus for over a week now. I will save all my game saves to my USB the next time I'm on my PS4. i suggest everyone backup their saves at least twice a week until Sony actually fixes the issue.

#2 Edited by clyde46 (46283 posts) -

Bug fixing takes time, you need to recreate the error multiple times before you can even begin to try and fix it, and given the random nature of this error I can see this taking a while. I've not experienced this yet but I haven't turned my PS4 on for about 3 weeks now.

#3 Edited by Heil68 (44504 posts) -

I haven't gotten in in over 100 hours of glorious 1080p PS4 gaming. I've played BF4, COD and NBA2K14 in all their splendor. But when you practice the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle like SONY does, good things happen to you.

#4 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27761 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I haven't gotten in in over 100 hours of glorious 1080p PS4 gaming. I've played BF4, COD and NBA2K14 in all their splendor. But when you practice the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle like SONY does, good things happen to you.

Exactly! You get to play the games all over again to get back to where you were! TLHBO!

#5 Edited by Heil68 (44504 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic:

True, but I haven't gotten the problem myself. I wonder if the TC is aware of the dreaded dogfood o/s fiasco with the xbone. Seems he only reports things that might damage SONY. Sad really.

#6 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2677 posts) -

Nope but then again i've only used my ps4 for 8-9 hours.

#7 Edited by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

haven't gotten this error yet, but did get a blue screen of death on my computer yesterday twice, on what supposed to be an operating system impossible to get a blue screen,

#8 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Bug fixing takes time, you need to recreate the error multiple times before you can even begin to try and fix it, and given the random nature of this error I can see this taking a while. I've not experienced this yet but I haven't turned my PS4 on for about 3 weeks now.

Ok. good answer, but I'm still curious as to when that actually started working on the issue. Probably didn't happen until this month. I haven't turned on my PS4 in almost 2 weeks, but for some reason it seems to go into Standby mode by itself, even after I've turned it completely off. May have been a settings issue.

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

Exactly! You get to play the games all over again to get back to where you were! TLHBO!

Last I checked, the lems weren't getting this error. lol!! This has nothing to do with Lems or XB1. Stop trolling and trying to damage control this issue. It's still happening today and Sony hasn't permanently fixed it yet.

**********************************************************************************

@Heil68 said:

@blue_hazy_basic:

True, but I haven't gotten the problem myself. I wonder if the TC is aware of the dreaded dogfood o/s fiasco with the xbone. Seems he only reports things that might damage SONY. Sad really.

I rarely make threads. All Cows do is start damaging XB1/Microsoft threads. I don't see you complaining in those threads about that. lol!! You're such a manticore Heil68 with Cow like intentions. lol!!

#9 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3777 posts) -

Yes, this error has been a pain in the ass. In NBA2K14 I had well over 40 hours in My Player mode and had some money wrapped up in VC. I am at a point where I CAN load my game, but every 2nd ball possession of the game (doesn't matter which team) the game crashes with that error code making the only offline mode I care about useless.

I also experienced this error while in other apps including Amazon and Netflix.

I was about 75% of the way through the campaign in BF4 and it crashed with that error... when I reloaded my game, I still had my MP stats and unlocks, but my campaign progress was gone and I had to start from scratch... I almost didn't start the campaign again out of the frustration and fear it would happen again and I would get pissed. However, playing it again I beat the game and unlocked all the MP weapons from the last mission where I viewed all 3 endings.

Here is what I have to say about the error. (*Note* This is not a scientific study or necessarily completely factual for EVERYONE getting the error.. simply what I HAVE NOTICED)

1. While having more than one app open and viewing a streaming service like Amazon. Hulu, or Netflix. Upon closing the app can force this error.

2. I crashed in BF4 in the mission where you start driving the tank. A LOT is happening... so it makes me think it has something to do with a lot of resources being used at once. Similar to #1 this is easily the most taxing part of the BF4 campaign to this point, and probably the entire game seeing as how the weather effects are going crazy, there are multiple on screen tanks, the audio is playing on several channels, etc.

3. I have NOT received the error while playing in an online game... this makes me believe that the error is fixable.. I know it will take some time, but it has already been a LONG time.

4. In NBA 2K14 the part where I crash is always the same, which is in the 2nd possession... the weird thing about this is why not the first? Why not the third? Why did I play more than an entire season without a problem? This leads me to believe that the error MAY have something to do with corrupted save files... It MIGHT be connected to the AUTO-SAVE feature or the automatic video capturing seeing as though it only happens to me while in a campaign where the PS4 is constantly saving progress. In MP your stats and progress saves but it is a slower process, and updates at the end of every couple games.

If anyone else has experienced this crash and has found a way around it, please let me know. I'm sure it will be fixed eventually, it is just annoying if anything.

You live and die by the sword though.. I knew there were likely to be a few problems at launch.

#10 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1363 posts) -

Been playing bf4 since launch with no problems, this is not a widespread problem and there's already been a thread on this

#11 Edited by Ghost120x (3890 posts) -

I beat 3 levels in battlefield 4 two days ago and when I turned it on there was no option to resume where I left off. It was like I was playing the game for the first time again. Yesterday I got back to where I was so I'm going to cut it on now and see.

#12 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Been playing bf4 since launch with no problems, this is not a widespread problem and there's already been a thread on this

Tell that to the thousands of PS4 gamers who continue to experience this issue every day.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161/page/46

Gamers are still losing save files after spending many hours playing a game. That ain't good. This should be stickied until Sony finally resolves the issue.

Thanks WitIsWisdom for the information.

#13 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1363 posts) -

Thousands out of about 4.5m ps4 owners...like I said not widespread and a 're post

#14 Posted by Ghost120x (3890 posts) -

Yep my single player save is gone again. If I play Baku one more time.....

I guess I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it.

#15 Posted by reggy72 (134 posts) -

The only trend I see is this. A issue with PS4 is usually responded with "its only a few thousand", or "Sony are working really hard" and "It's early days", yet a similar issue with Xbox is met with "fucking POS" or "terrible machine" and so on and so forth.

#16 Posted by blackace (20743 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Yep my single player save is gone again. If I play Baku one more time.....

I guess I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it.

Sony said to reintall the lastest patch update. If that doesn't work, reinitialize the PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7l5twB4784

#17 Posted by Chutebox (37217 posts) -

Lol @hazy, that was funny

#18 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4880 posts) -

Sounds shitty. Anyone know what the issue could be? I've seen lems blame PSN but you can't trust them so I'd like a second opinion.

Also, when is the Xbone getting games?

#19 Posted by Giancar (19063 posts) -

Hazy is now a cow confirmed! >=[

#20 Posted by hoosier7 (3822 posts) -

I haven't had the issue, doesn't seem anything major as long as you use the save to the cloud feature for gamesaves. Not like your console is broken. Re-downloading patches would be a pain though after reinitialising.

#21 Edited by tormentos (18097 posts) -

@donnatroy said:

haven't gotten this error yet, but did get a blue screen of death on my computer yesterday twice, on what supposed to be an operating system impossible to get a blue screen,

hahahaah high fight Blue screen of death lives on...lol

@Heil68 said:

@blue_hazy_basic:

Now we all know that is a lie Heli,Blackac is a true manticore and he will NEVER EVER favor one system other another.

@blackace said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Tell that to the thousands of PS4 gamers who continue to experience this issue every day.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161/page/46

Gamers are still losing save files after spending many hours playing a game. That ain't good. This should be stickied until Sony finally resolves the issue.

CLAIMS THOUSANDS OF COMPLAINS GIVES A LINK TO A THREAD WITH 458 POST.

#22 Posted by Krelian-co (10932 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@donnatroy said:

hahahaah high fight Blue screen of death lives on...lol

@Heil68 said:

@blue_hazy_basic:

Now we all know that is a lie Heli,Blackac is a true manticore and he will NEVER EVER favor one system other another.

@blackace said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

CLAIMS THOUSANDS OF COMPLAINS GIVES A LINK TO A THREAD WITH 458 POST.

who else but blackace?

#23 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -

Tormentos is SOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID. One of the reasons I do waste time reading your garbage. You really think there are only 458 gamers experience this shit!! What a moron. every time you post, it just shows how unintelligent you really are. You do know that this is just ONE SITE and there were a lot more threads created before this one was being used as the definitive thread. There are threads on dozens of other sites about the problem. It's been going on for over a month and all you can do is try to damage control the issue. LMAO!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PS4+ce-34878-0+Error+ACIV&sm=12

Poor sad trolling crybaby cows. No one pitys you fools. Not even Mr. T.

#24 Posted by EtherealMachine (96 posts) -

I received one error during Blacklight but I never had it again, though the error is attributed to an app crash I can only assume I got that as the game is still in beta, other than that, Resogun, KZ, Don't Starve etc haven't had a single error, just lucky I guess.

#25 Edited by SolidTy (43296 posts) -

Duplicate thread and Old news. This was already reported a few times in SW days ago, perhaps almost a week by a few other posters.

We'll see what happens with the error, personally no one I know had this issue and I know at least a dozen PS4 owners. I never had this issue...Hopefully this will straighten itself out for those few unlucky users that are experiencing deleted saves.

They should consider using the cloud save feature of the PS4 if they are worried.

#26 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Old news. This was already reported in SW days ago, perhaps almost a week by a few other posters.

We'll see what happens with the error, personally no one I know had this issue and I know at least a dozen PS4 owners. I never had this issue...Hopefully this will straighten itself out for those few unlucky users that are experiencing deleted saves.

They should consider using the cloud save feature of the PS4 if they are worried.

The news came on Gamespot about 2 days ago. The issue has been going on for almost 2 months now. I'm surprised Gamespot and IGN didn't report on this a lot earlier. So far Sony hasn't done shit. I suggest everyone save a copy of their save files to the Cloud and a usb thumb drive to be safe. That's what I'll be doing when I get home.

#27 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

It's a non issue for me. Last time I had it was with BF4 during the first week. It has been since patched out.

#28 Posted by silversix_ (14591 posts) -

stupid ass question because you know it happened to everyone but not expecting anything from blackace... i got this code at least 30 times and my bf4 saves got deleted 8 or 9 times. i haven't turned on my ps4 in over 3 weeks so i don't know if it still happens but i know for a fact that after the psn patch i got the code still but it didn't delete my saves anymore.

#29 Posted by Chozofication (2872 posts) -

Is this guy trolling or does he really love Xbox this much?

Serious question.

#30 Posted by lostrib (36953 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

Is this guy trolling or does he really love Xbox this much?

Serious question.

can't it be both