PS4 runs very cool [DF Hardware Test]

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

IdleBlu-rayGamingGame + UI
Max Temp40 Degrees Celsius41 Degrees Celsius44 Degrees Celsius45 Degrees Celsius
Power Draw80W100W131W140W
Noise: Close42dB42dB51dB53dB
Noise: 1 metre40dB40dB42dB42dB
Noise: 3 metres40dB40dB41dB41dB

The reality is that Sony has done a pretty good job here. We'll get to the metrics in a moment, but first impressions are certainly reassuring. On start-up, the hardware is exceptionally quiet, but as you progress into gameplay, volume and heat does start to increase. PS4 also draws a fair amount of juice too - 80W at idle on the front-end menus (the "PlayStation Dynamic Menu" to give it its proper name), 95W based on in-game video playback, and around 110-120W during gameplay - that's about 10-20W more than the first release of the "Slim" PlayStation 3. Curiously though, bringing up the menu system while in-game sees another leap in power draw - up to the maximum of 140W.

So, keep it out of a glass box and it runs perfectly cool.

For PS3 FAT comparison: (Averages)

Initial Boot-up to idle XMB:

CPU: 44 °C

RSX: 35 °C

During gameplay:

CPU: 74 °C

RSX: 65 °C

(Note: PS3 had Cell and RSX on separate dies, with seperate temps. The PS4 APU has CPU and GPU on the same die, hence the single temperature rating for the entire die.)

#2 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

runs as hot a a launch Ps3 in a smaller case. Rocket science anyone? Disaster in the making.

#3 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

runs as hot a a launch Ps3 in a smaller case. Rocket science anyone? Disaster in the making.

Actually, no, you're confusing Watts with Celcius.

It pulls around he same WATTAGE as a PS3, not heat.

#4 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5816 posts) -

140w thats less than the 1st gen 360 and PS3. But really during gaming its only 100w... so it seems like it should be a really cool system, overheating should not be a problem. And given those stats, it should be very quiet as well. Wonder how it compares to lastgen systems in terms of noise.

#5 Posted by YD_11 (1635 posts) -

So it isn't an overheating problem that is bricking the systems then? I wonder what else would cause it?

#6 Edited by Heil68 (43489 posts) -

Thanks for the data, looking great I must say. Have a spot cleared out with good ventilation and my man cave is in the basement which is cooler than the rest of my house.

#7 Posted by Consternated (493 posts) -

Temps seem fine, but those dB levels... Jesus.

#8 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -

Wow... only 45 C holy hell.

Noise is pretty far up there. Good thing my surround sound will be going.

#9 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Sounds great.

#10 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

what is the power of the power supply? I think xbox was announced at 250

#11 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

"The figures sound meaty but the reality is that PlayStation 4 remains fairly discreet throughout general gaming - easily quieter than a launch PS3 overall, but not quite as unobtrusive as the latest PS3 Super Slim model (when its Blu-ray drive is inactive, at least). Only when you run a game and then move to the menus does the system start to kick out some serious heat. We measured 50-degrees Celsius venting from the rear (better out than in, we say) with the casing itself heating up to 45 degrees - that's approaching launch PS3 territory."

This was stated two paragraphs above the temp chart.

#12 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

PS4's PSU is 250Watt max, so it's not even approaching that at full LOAD, not yet anyway....

Plenty of room to work with.

#13 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

PS4's PSU is 250Watt max, so it's not even approaching that at full LOAD, not yet anyway....

Sony is not 250w

#14 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Not sure why people think it sounds loud I thought I recall the PS3 and 360 being 50db+ for most of this generation. Even the slim averaged about 50db.

I feel like people are trying too hard to complain.

#15 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

The reality is that Sony has done a pretty good job here. We'll get to the metrics in a moment, but first impressions are certainly reassuring. On start-up, the hardware is exceptionally quiet, but as you progress into gameplay, volume and heat does start to increase. PS4 also draws a fair amount of juice too - 80W at idle on the front-end menus (the "PlayStation Dynamic Menu" to give it its proper name), 95W based on in-game video playback, and around 110-120W during gameplay - that's about 10-20W more than the first release of the "Slim" PlayStation 3. Curiously though, bringing up the menu system while in-game sees another leap in power draw - up to the maximum of 140W

#16 Edited by Consternated (493 posts) -

Not sure why people think it sounds loud I thought I recall the PS3 and 360 being 50db+ for most of this generation. Even the slim averaged about 50db.

It's still 5x louder than any fan in my PC, even when its 3 metres away. That's pretty loud.

#17 Posted by lostrib (34626 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

you wouldn't want to get near the max. PSUs aren't 100% efficient

#18 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -
#19 Edited by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

The reality is that Sony has done a pretty good job here. We'll get to the metrics in a moment, but first impressions are certainly reassuring. On start-up, the hardware is exceptionally quiet, but as you progress into gameplay, volume and heat does start to increase. PS4 also draws a fair amount of juice too - 80W at idle on the front-end menus (the "PlayStation Dynamic Menu" to give it its proper name), 95W based on in-game video playback, and around 110-120W during gameplay - that's about 10-20W more than the first release of the "Slim" PlayStation 3. Curiously though, bringing up the menu system while in-game sees another leap in power draw - up to the maximum of 140W

so do you think the ps4 pw supply is 200watt?

#20 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

max is a weak 140 watt.

#21 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

Sony is not 250w

Yes, it is:

That looks old. DF states 140Watts. Where did you get that from?

#22 Edited by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

max is a weak 140 watt.

what do we know of the xbox power supply. I heard 250 was higher than expected and it was announced today. did you hear anything?

#23 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

Sony is not 250w

Yes, it is:

It's on the PS4's FCC sticker...

#24 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@-RPGamer- said:

It's still 5x louder than any fan in my PC, even when its 3 metres away. That's pretty loud.

Considering how little I notice the latest versions of the 360 or the PS3, I just don't know if I care. Relative to recent consoles, this is an improvement.

I mean we're seriously talking about db levels comparative to a mosquito buzz, any quieter and it would be classified as a whisper >_>.

#25 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe: 140 Watts max being pulled from the system when running a game + UI

The other Watts are for other USB devices and camera power. Plus a little extra for capacitor degradation in the PSU.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (43489 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

Sony is not 250w

Yes, it is:

lol

#27 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

Sony is not 250w

Yes, it is:

yep. old. look at the op temp and right there should tell you.

#28 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

EDIT - actually, that may be the DEV KIT FCC label.

Not 100% positive if they use different PSUs or not.

EDIT2 - Yea, that label I linked was from a June 2013 PS4 DEV KIT FCC sample.

I guess we need someone to snap a photo of the FCC label on the PS4s out in the wild right now. Anyone? Gamespot? Anyone?

#29 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

EDIT - actually, that may be the DEV KIT FCC label.

Not 100% positive if they use different PSUs or not.

im looking too. Now I have no idea.

#30 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe: Op temp is the temp range of the environment at which the PS4 will function normally.

The official PS4 spec sheet lists 250 Watts.

#31 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

44C vs 74C? That's a huge difference. And I don't think you know how this all works. Those are the core temps with the CPU/GPU running in the actual enclosure. These temps were recorded from within an actual PS4. And if it only hits 44C while under load, that's very impressive.

#32 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

44C vs 74C? That's a huge difference. And I don't think you know how this all works. Those are the core temps with the CPU/GPU running in the actual enclosure. These temps were recorded from within an actual PS4. And if it only hits 44C while under load, that's very impressive.

Ok thanks Pink

#33 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

BTW - The temps from the DF test were done with an infrared sensor, not actually TOUCHING the APU itself.

It's possible the temps deviate higher on their testing equipment. Sony's numbers might be from a sensor right inside the APU die itself, giving more accurate temp readings - like most motherboard sensors these days.

For all we know the numbers on that FCC label are still accurate today.

#34 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

What's REALLY interesting is that a stock Radeon 7970 (the PC equivalent of the PS4's GPU, minus a few GBs of GDDR5 RAM) runs around 74C to 75C on a game like BF3 on the PC with Ultra Settings.

I don't know what game they were playing on the PS4 at LOAD, but if the PS4 tops out at 45C on the APU with a game like BF4, then it's got some very impressive technology in that thing.

Pushing all the stuff at 1080p/60fps and staying around 45C on the PS4's APU is VERY GOOD.

#35 Posted by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

Sony is so amazing at hardware it's insane

#36 Edited by lostrib (34626 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

What's REALLY interesting is that a stock Radeon 7970 (the PC equivalent of the PS4's GPU, minus a few GBs of GDDR5 RAM) runs around 74C to 75C on a game like BF3 on the PC with Ultra Settings.

I don't know what game they were playing on the PS4 at LOAD, but if the PS4 tops out at 45C on the APU with a game like BF4, then it's got some very impressive technology in that thing.

Pushing all the stuff at 1080p/60fps and staying around 45C on the PS4's APU is VERY GOOD.

well it has significantly less power draw than a desktop GPU at load. According to that the PS4 total system at load is 140W. At load a 7970 system can be any where from 300-400+ W

Though I find it hard to believe that there was only a change of 5C between Load and idle. I think they need to do more accurate testing

#37 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Netherscourge said:

well it has significantly less power draw than a desktop GPU at load. According to that the PS4 total system at load is 140W. At load a 7970 system can be any where from 300-400+ W

Considering the entirety of the PS4 is pulling less than 200Watts at this time and pumping out 1080p/60fps in most games in pretty impressive.

I wish PCs were more heat-efficient! But then, that's how they pump out all that raw power.

#38 Edited by lostrib (34626 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@lostrib said:

@Netherscourge said:

Considering the entirety of the PS4 is pulling less than 200Watts at this time and pumping out 1080p/60fps in most games in pretty impressive.

I wish PCs were more heat-efficient! But then, that's how they pump out all that raw power.

i honestly find those numbers hard to believe, of only a 5C difference. Also you're talking about the power consumption of a full desktop versus an APU system. If you look at the AMD apu system power draw, it is vary similar to the PS4. While a full desktop with a discrete GPU will but much higher

#39 Edited by ZoomZoom2490 (3939 posts) -

@YD_11 said:

So it isn't an overheating problem that is bricking the systems then? I wonder what else would cause it?

M$ is doing it, how dumb can you be?

do you know the % of people that got the early PS4's? its 00000000.1%

you honestly think just the few are all broken? rofl.

or did you ever wonder maybe Sony is not allowing the ps4's to function until the launch day?

#40 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -
@ZoomZoom2490 said:

@YD_11 said:

M$ is doing it, how dumb can you be?

do you know the % of people that got the early PS4's? its 00000000.1%

you honestly think just the few are all broken? rofl.

or did you ever wonder maybe Sony is not allowing the ps4's to function until the launch day?

I wonder how many people updated the system before playing. The system seems to turn on. But doesn't go all the way because the HDMI hand shake wasn't completed. Just like the 360 when you don't turn your TV on. It just sits at the boot splash screen... until you turn the TV on and handshaking is finished. It wont even let your remote connect.

So there has to be something some where... Faulty FW, corrupt bios, bad HDMI port or something else is causing the issue.

#41 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13453 posts) -

That's very impressive. great to see it running so cool. The 5c change is amazing if true.

#42 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

da fuq? 74c CPU?!

#43 Edited by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -

reading comprehension is way ahead of ur skill level i take it

#44 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

reading comprehension is way ahead of ur skill level i take it

"The figures sound meaty but the reality is that PlayStation 4 remains fairly discreet throughout general gaming - easily quieter than a launch PS3 overall, but not quite as unobtrusive as the latest PS3 Super Slim model (when its Blu-ray drive is inactive, at least). Only when you run a game and then move to the menus does the system start to kick out some serious heat. We measured 50-degrees Celsius venting from the rear (better out than in, we say) with the casing itself heating up to 45 degrees - that's approaching launch PS3 territory."

Is it?

#46 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Netherscourge said:

@XBOunity said:

Sony is not 250w

Yes, it is:

yep. old. look at the op temp and right there should tell you.

You can't be this fuccin stupid.. Go home clown

MAX Power consumption is 250W.. The system will only use what it needs, which for this test was 140W

Your late. We already went over this.

#47 Edited by Ne-Plus-Ultra (248 posts) -

Wow the xbots really seem to be on edge with the PS4 releasing in about 24 hours and the Xbone still under an M$ embargo for 8 more days, As for as the PS4 overheating, I'm not worried about it considering the only ones I can see with my own eyes are working fine.

This link really doesn't matter much because we've already heard this before, but I thought it was funny because it mentions M$'s reputation management sitting at their computers ready to defend the Xbox One on System Wars. Hmmm... I wonder what posters they could be referring to?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Overheating-Rumor-False-Devs-Speak-Out-60342.html

#48 Edited by MK-Professor (3730 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

HD7970 have double the power of an PS4's GPU and also the 75C is from the sensor inside the core not outside with an infrared thermometer LOL

#49 Posted by Sollet (7343 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe: please stop acting like an idiot. It's cringe worthy.

#50 Edited by Micropixel (865 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

da fuq? 74c CPU?!

That's what I'm saying! This kinda worries me...