PS4 Overheating & Red Line of Death

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Outsider-G (2448 posts) -

A photo has surfaced showing a demo PS4 console overheating and displaying what has been dubbed “the red line of death.” The picture was taken at a PS4 event in Spain and posted by Elotrolado member Homer J. Simpson in his report of the event. He says (translated from Spanish) “it had a red light (where the typical blue LED light) and had a message on the screen saying that the console had a very high temperature. The security case was opened and in two seconds the error message was removed and the light had returned to its normal color.

There have been various reports of PS4 consoles crashing during recent demonstrations but hopefully these issues will be sorted out by the time the console reaches retail.

http://videogamescene.com/ps4-overheating-the-red-line-of-death/

#2 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

in a tiny plastic box with a couple of slits at the top?

who would have guessed?

#3 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Yeah, after spending over £400 on a launch 60GB PS3 (plus whatever my first model 360 cost) it's pretty safe to assume there's no chance of me buying either of the HD twins new offerings until at least a year into their life cycles. The failure rates were absolutely ridiculous this gen.

#4 Edited by KillzoneSnake (1694 posts) -

That's what happens when you close a console inside a tiny box. PS4 actually runs much cooler than PS3.

#5 Posted by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

The red line of death only happens when your console has completely overheated, and it automatically turns the ps4 off, that's it.

#6 Posted by Giancar (19051 posts) -

That sounds more like the console shutting off to prevent overheating when the temperature is very high.

He opened the plastic case and all went normal, not the same case as the YLOD.

#7 Edited by blamix (196 posts) -

The ps4 can't breath in there, must have been on in there for 1wk. Ps4 runs cooler than the ps3

#8 Posted by bulby_g (1053 posts) -

Of course it's overheating, that's what happens when you put electronics that need ventilation in a small, contained box. If it's giving a warning and shutting itself down as a safety precaution in such circumstances that can only be a plus.

#9 Edited by cainetao11 (16973 posts) -

@casharmy said:

who would have guessed?

Right? "I know lets store it in a box, so the heat from the system makes it like an oven".

#10 Posted by Jack-Burton (2303 posts) -

#11 Posted by getyeryayasout (7216 posts) -

So don't run your PS4 in a shoebox. Got it.

#12 Posted by remiks00 (1732 posts) -

well duh...the damn system couldn't breathe. This isn't comparable to RROD, but watch people blow this out of proportion

#13 Posted by Caseytappy (2132 posts) -

Sony build a fail safe for overheating in the PS4 that automatically kicks in and shuts down the console to prevent heat damage ?

Best news of the day, if only MS thought of that at the start of last gen.

#14 Posted by Suppaman100 (3795 posts) -

Never buy a console at launch.

/thread

#15 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6187 posts) -

This isn't the first report of this. There are several just like this that the PS4 is frying as well as the dev kits. This pic is just a façade though used to mask the PC behind the curtain. Pretty bad when a PS4 burns up when it isn't even running a game. Sad really. Hahahahaha.

#16 Edited by Suppaman100 (3795 posts) -

This isn't the first report of this. There are several just like this that the PS4 is frying as well as the dev kits. This pic is just a façade though used to mask the PC behind the curtain. Pretty bad when a PS4 burns up when it isn't even running a game. Sad really. Hahahahaha.

X360 having RROD without being in a plastic case where almost no ventilation is possible...is more sad really. Hahahahaha.

#17 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9162 posts) -

I'm not going to worry. I got 5 sides that will be open to the air for my PS4.

Going to also replace the HDD for a SSD and that too will cut down on any heat.

I just got to turn off the DVR function for the games, so my SSD don't die in a year lol.

The AMD chips are probably set to turn the system off before any damage happens. Just like the ones in PC and Laptops.

#18 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6187 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

X360 having RROD without being in a plastic case where almost no ventilation is possible...is more sad really. Hahahahaha.

Still hanging on to 2007 I see. This is news now bro. Red Line of DEATH. hahahahahahha.

#19 Posted by Suppaman100 (3795 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Still hanging on to 2007 I see. This is news now bro. Red Line of DEATH. hahahahahahha.

That's why you never buy a console at launch.

Anyway, PS4 is stil better than Xbone. hahahahahaha

#20 Posted by aroxx_ab (9306 posts) -

Oh good news, Ps4 shut down before any overheat is taken :D

#21 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6187 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

They can still brick. Reports are that some are not turning back on.

#22 Edited by bezza2011 (2395 posts) -

like most people are saying, electronics in a small plastic box is ridiculous any person would no that it would of over heat.

just to stop the thread like everyone else, all parts of sonys ps4 are made from amd, not nivida, amd components run at a lower heat, i believe that it has passed america's standards and the ps3 read around 60'c and the ps4 reads at around 35'c i believe at top temp, good news that it will shut down if it does over heat which is good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.822935-PlayStation-4-Runs-Much-Cooler-Than-PS3-FCC-Reports

#23 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

Fans

#24 Posted by tormentos (17298 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Link.

#25 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (961 posts) -

im kinda worried about this no launch games and now this?

#26 Edited by tormentos (17298 posts) -

All fat 360 will RROD at one point,it is the slim that doesn't RROD because that warning system was remove,so yeah all 360 make until 2010 can RROD,RROD didn't stop on 2007,and the PS4 shuts down when it gets hot so the hardware isn't damage,by the way running a console in an enclosed plastic box..

The xbox 360 would not last half an hour inside that box.

#27 Posted by RimacBugatti (1194 posts) -

Almost anything that produces heat and doesn't have proper ventilation will most probably overheat. That being said based on how the Xbox One is designed it looks as if it will most likely run much hotter since they built it with so much room inside along with that massive fan. PS4 still won't run as hot as the PS2 slim which in my opinion was like a nuclear reactor as far as heat production.

#28 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (961 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

oh man pliz dont scare me i already got mine preordered with the 50$$ online services and a costly blue Sony controller.

#29 Posted by Far_RockNYC (1112 posts) -

Greatness awaits LMFAO!

#30 Posted by joel_c17 (2829 posts) -

So it turns itself off when overheating - thank you Sony. Masters of hardware. MS should take note.

#31 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9942 posts) -

@bulby_g said:

Of course it's overheating, that's what happens when you put electronics that need ventilation in a small, contained box. If it's giving a warning and shutting itself down as a safety precaution in such circumstances that can only be a plus.

An even bigger plus if it the shut down precedure stores the gamestate and it puts the console into standby mode so when the temperature returns to safe you pick up exactly where you left off.

#32 Posted by tormentos (17298 posts) -

Greatness awaits LMFAO!

And this silly article comes 1 day after MS admit that some units are having problems and tag the units as stress test units..lol

Because once again CBOAT leaked that the console has problems and that the console appear rush again.

You can't up clock the CPU and GPU and spec heat to not go up,but when desperation kicks in and your facing a strong competition on a even play field and odds are not going in your favor anything will be try to change the odds.

#33 Edited by Far_RockNYC (1112 posts) -
#35 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@Far_RockNYC said:
Greatness awaits LMFAO!

And this silly article comes 1 day after MS admit that some units are having problems and tag the units as stress test units..lol

Because once again CBOAT leaked that the console has problems and that the console appear rush again.

You can't up clock the CPU and GPU and spec heat to not go up,but when desperation kicks in and your facing a strong competition on a even play field and odds are not going in your favor anything will be try to change the odds.

Lighten up dear he's just having some fun

#36 Posted by LustForSoul (5851 posts) -

Haha.

#37 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@bulby_g said:

An even bigger plus if it the shut down precedure stores the gamestate and it puts the console into standby mode so when the temperature returns to safe you pick up exactly where you left off.

Yeah, that's the main use for the ARM processor. You can turn off the console without saving and still pick up where you left off...

#38 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

And the fanboys will use this as own age I guess.

#39 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150474 posts) -

@casharmy said:

who would have guessed?

Shocking I say....shocking. But if true.....The 360 fans should feel at home with it.

#40 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

All fat 360 will RROD at one point,it is the slim that doesn't RROD because that warning system was remove,so yeah all 360 make until 2010 can RROD,RROD didn't stop on 2007,and the PS4 shuts down when it gets hot so the hardware isn't damage,by the way running a console in an enclosed plastic box..

The xbox 360 would not last half an hour inside that box.

I haven't known of a 360 to fail since the Falcon and Jasper revisions were released in 2008, and I know several people that have them. My son has used his almost nonstop for the last 5 years...

#41 Posted by Chutebox (36750 posts) -

Sony, Nintendo, and MS need to find a better way to display their consoles than in tiny plastic box with almost no ventilation.

#42 Posted by Shewgenja (8507 posts) -

Good thing I don't have any plans to run my PS4 in an unventilated box anytime soon.

#43 Posted by Chutebox (36750 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

You should probably read more.

#44 Posted by tdkmillsy (1284 posts) -

Both consoles are going to have overheating protection that shuts off console. Problem is its going to happen more on the PS4.

#45 Posted by Shewgenja (8507 posts) -

Both consoles are going to have overheating protection that shuts off console. Problem is its going to happen more on the PS4.

We can't always get a console that is beta tested in the future.

#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150474 posts) -

Opinion not fact.

#47 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

"The security case was opened and in two seconds the error message was removed and the light had returned to its normal color. "

Well, look at that - when you remove a heat-generating electronic product from an almost air-tight case with no circulation, it works as normal.

This is actually a GOOD thing - you see, the heat-sensor WORKS and prevented the PS4 from becoming inoperable, UNLIKE the RROD 360 did.

---PS4 goes red, it shuts-down to protect itself until it's placed in a cooler environment.

---Xbox360 goes red - you have a big, ugly paperweight that you have to ship back to Microsoft.

PRO TIP: DON'T PUT YOUR CONSOLE IN A PLASTIC CASE WITH NO AIR CIRCULATION!

#48 Posted by BreadNMilk (37 posts) -

They encased it without good ventilation. Any electronics would overheat.

#49 Posted by Zophar87 (4346 posts) -

Huh.. so it overheats when enclosed in a tiny box? Whodathunkit

#50 Posted by tormentos (17298 posts) -

I haven't known of a 360 to fail since the Falcon and Jasper revisions were released in 2008, and I know several people that have them. My son has used his almost nonstop for the last 5 years...

http://www.ifixit.com/Game-Console-Parts/Xbox-360-Red-Ring-of-Death-Fix-Kit/IF205-024

For all fat models..

Falcon
Jasper
Opus
Xenon

Zephyr

All can RROD Jasper RROD less because they have less heat issues,but still RROD.

All you have do to is a quick google,if the unit didn't RROD why there is a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.