PS4 outselling Xbox One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

Microsoft claims retail partners are backing Xbox One, but sales figures suggest PS4 is selling faster

Sony's Playstation 4 launched in the UK today, and retailer GAME said the demand for pre-orders of the PS4 was four times higher than it had seen for the PS3. Some fans slept out overnight in a bid to be among the first in the country to get their hands on the new generation console.

Amazon, which sits behind GAME as the UK's second biggest games retailer, predicted that the PlayStation 4 will become the fastest selling console in Amazon UK history, (based on current pre-order levels), overtaking the Xbox One which took the title on its release day a week earlier. Tesco said demand for the PS4 was the greatest they'd ever seen online, adding that queues began forming in shops 12 hours before consoles went on sale.

The launch comes a week after the release of Microsoft's Xbox One, which sold more than one million units in less than 24 hours. Microsoft said on Monday that it was working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the "unprecedented demand" from its customers.

While both consoles have generated a lot of excitement and interest, the UK's high street retailers appeared to be betting on the Xbox One over the PS4 in the run up to Christmas.

"We believe the Xbox One and PS4 will revolutionise the market," said Phil Samuels, category director for consumer electronics at Currys and PC World in the UK. He said that shoppers have already put in more pre-orders for both than expected but "so far the Xbox is nudging into the lead".

Jonathan Marsh, head technology buyer at John Lewis, also said the department store is expecting more interest in the Xbox One.

“We are stocking both the PS4 and the Xbox One but if we were to back one, we are thinking that Xbox One will appeal a bit more to our customers in terms of the experience it creates," he said.

"If we had to edge one, I would favour the Xbox One. The software that the Xbox One launches with will really appeal to our customer base based on what we’ve experienced in the past.”

The PS4 currently, however, holds the top spot on Amazon's PC and Video Gamers pre-order chart as well as the “Most Wished For” list on Amazon UK.

Research released this week by Synthesio revealed that Sony’s PS4 is 40 per cent more discussed on social media than the Xbox One, and the comments are three times as positive. Although the PS4 has only just had its European launch, there is "still a markedly higher level of online buzz compared to the Xbox," according to the company.

SOURCE

#2 Posted by tormentos (19608 posts) -

As expected the PS4 will take the sales crown this holiday,there is little MS can do,so MS loss US and UK on launch already and still Japan hasn't see the PS4 yet.

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

you noticed?

#4 Edited by Krelian-co (12423 posts) -

lems in this forum are still in denial

#5 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9368 posts) -

MS should just recall the XBO... Next year start over.

#6 Posted by YD_11 (1867 posts) -

I am not familiar with what "high street retailers" refers to but it got me thinking. My first thought was "high street" referred to your more expensive retailers in "up scale" neighborhoods. So with that line of thought... If we look at a US automaker comparison, the PS4 is like a chevrolet and the Xbox One more like the Cadillac. The chevy may have more horsepower (a la the Corvette) but Cadillac offers that more luxurious ride

#7 Edited by Star67 (3457 posts) -

@YD_11 said:

I am not familiar with what "high street retailers" refers to but it got me thinking. My first thought was "high street" referred to your more expensive retailers in "up scale" neighborhoods. So with that line of thought... If we look at a US automaker comparison, the PS4 is like a chevrolet and the Xbox One more like the Cadillac. The chevy may have more horsepower (a la the Corvette) but Cadillac offers that more luxurious ride

Ummmm more like PS4 is a Chevy and the Xbox1 is a GMC.......its like a Chevy, but has a little extra stuff that most people wouldn't want but makes it more expensive, and it sells less

#8 Posted by YD_11 (1867 posts) -

@Star67 said:

@YD_11 said:

I am not familiar with what "high street retailers" refers to but it got me thinking. My first thought was "high street" referred to your more expensive retailers in "up scale" neighborhoods. So with that line of thought... If we look at a US automaker comparison, the PS4 is like a chevrolet and the Xbox One more like the Cadillac. The chevy may have more horsepower (a la the Corvette) but Cadillac offers that more luxurious ride

Ummmm more like PS4 is a Chevy and the Xbox1 is a GMC.......its like a Chevy, but has a little extra stuff that most people wouldn't want but makes it more expensive, and it sells less

That could be fair. I don't agree about the part with "most people wouldn't want" as i feel most would if the money didn't matter. Ultimately, i like my analogy better due to the significant gap between what the two consoles offer feature set wise.

#9 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

Playstation selling more than Xbox, as usual.

#10 Posted by mgfarmer (392 posts) -

Consumers are price driven. You have 2 products that are pretty much the same thing, so consumers will flock to the better priced item. Its simple economics.

#11 Edited by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2690 posts) -

Until MS can give some real evidence that the investment of $500 in the Xbox One is warrented and that the Kinect is truly a substantial piece of tech and not just some fancy fluff that seems awesome at launch and then fades away after a few months, GAMERS will buy the least expensive, most powerful console!! Most people who bought either console at launch did so to play Next Gen versions of CoD, BF4, NBA 2K14, Madden 25 and FIFA 14 plus KZSF for the PS4 and Forza 5 for the Xbox One!

#12 Posted by blamix99 (2535 posts) -

PS4 is only out in the US and still kicking the XBone's ass which is out in the US and around europe

#13 Posted by Netret0120 (2862 posts) -

PS4 sold 1 million in NA

X1 sold 1 million worldwide

PS4 released in the EU yesterday and sold out.

Lol only lemmings in denial will say the X1 is outselling the PS4. This is only the beginning. I predict a gap of 10million by the end of its lifespan

#14 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10301 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

lems in this forum are still in denial

I remember when I got modded for using that gif a year ago.

#15 Posted by mems_1224 (48103 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Krelian-co said:

lems in this forum are still in denial

I remember when I got modded for using that gif a year ago.

I remember when I got modded for calling someone an idiot a few weeks ago. GS is bad at modding people.

#16 Posted by SuperCowElitist (732 posts) -

Microsoft can pay any company to back up the XBone. At the end, the gamers want a game machine. Not a cabal box.

#17 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

As expected. Only lems in denial still think the Xbox can outsell PS4.

#18 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10301 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

As expected. Only lems in denial still think the Xbox can outsell PS4.

It can, you never know. What if like 40% of PS4 start bricking or something? What if PSN gets hacked again and is done for a month again? What if Naughty Dog goes third party?

Things could happen. Look at the PS3, it was supposed to be discontinue by fall 07 (even game journalist where writing it off), and it ended up out selling the 360.

#19 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5729 posts) -

TLHBO and thread backfire

#20 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5729 posts) -

TLHBO and thread backfire

@Nengo_Flow said:

@I_can_haz said:

As expected. Only lems in denial still think the Xbox can outsell PS4.

It can, you never know. What if like 40% of PS4 start bricking or something? What if PSN gets hacked again and is done for a month again? What if Naughty Dog goes third party?

Things could happen. Look at the PS3, it was supposed to be discontinue by fall 07 (even game journalist where writing it off), and it ended up out selling the 360.

Dont play the what if game, you sound like a shitty lemming

PS3 murdered 360 in software and caught up in hardware cause MS was too busy securing microtransactions and spitting put Halo/Gears/Forza whilst closing studios.

Let's be factual, no clouds or imagination.

#21 Posted by tormentos (19608 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

@I_can_haz said:

As expected. Only lems in denial still think the Xbox can outsell PS4.

It can, you never know. What if like 40% of PS4 start bricking or something? What if PSN gets hacked again and is done for a month again? What if Naughty Dog goes third party?

Things could happen. Look at the PS3, it was supposed to be discontinue by fall 07 (even game journalist where writing it off), and it ended up out selling the 360.

68% fail rate didn't stop the 360 from selling.

Yay even better since nothing happen and i got a free PSN+ month and 2 games.

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony much like Rare is by MS.

Are you insane who the fu** claim the PS3 would be discontinue by fall 2007 i need a link to that,because other than from blind fanboys i never actually read something like that.

#22 Posted by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow: Quick retort - ND will never go third party. Unlike Insomniac, they are a studio wholly owned and licensed by Sony. So that possibility just won't happen.

#23 Posted by EZs (1403 posts) -

@mgfarmer said:

Consumers are price driven. You have 2 products that are pretty much the same thing, so consumers will flock to the better priced item. Its simple economics.

Very true indeed. 1080p for 400$ VS 720p for 500$.

#24 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10301 posts) -

@theshensolidus said:

@Nengo_Flow: Quick retort - ND will never go third party. Unlike Insomniac, they are a studio wholly owned and licensed by Sony. So that possibility just won't happen.

I know that, Im just saying what if something devastating happens, something we never saw coming.

#25 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5729 posts) -

@EZs said:

@mgfarmer said:

Consumers are price driven. You have 2 products that are pretty much the same thing, so consumers will flock to the better priced item. Its simple economics.

Very true indeed. 1080p for 400$ VS 720p for 500$.

TLHBO.

#26 Posted by Jamex1987 (2187 posts) -

Dude the consoles just launched. You really think the first week of sales decide anything?

#27 Edited by Vatusus (5056 posts) -

@Jamex1987: