PS4 officially out in Japan ( stream and pictures )

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by finalstar2007 (25308 posts) -

He's the stream for the launch and some pictures:

Stream: http://www.ustream.tv/ps4cd

Pictures of the lineup: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/21/ps4-finally-invades-japan-among-wild-chering-colorful-vips-and-developer-messages/

PlayStation 4 sells like hot cakes and hit the charts in Japan's amazon http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/21/ps4-instantly-skyrockets-to-first-place-on-amazon-best-sellers-chart-on-japanese-launch/

#2 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

So weird that it's only out now in Japan, the country in which Sony originates. I'd be pissed as a Japanese person :P

#3 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

So weird that it's only out now in Japan, the country in which Sony originates. I'd be pissed as a Japanese person :P

It's the unfortunate reality of how much the Japanese market has shrunk over the last three gens. It was thought, before the original Xbox came out, that failure in Japan was instant death. Two gens on and the Japan game market is a distant third in terms of size, behind the EU and North America.

#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (25308 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Indeed but i guess it makes sense at the same time as they wanted to focus on the bigger markets first.

#5 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Gravure model stream on USTREAM, this is why PLAYROOM was invented. No wonder PS4 is selling like hotcakes...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%89%E3%83%AB%E9%8D%8B

#6 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

Already an article of it blazing to the 1st spot on best sellers on AmazonJP.

#7 Edited by finalstar2007 (25308 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Gravure model stream on USTREAM, this is why PLAYROOM was invented. No wonder PS4 is selling like hotcakes...

lmfao dat stream though

playroom indeed well named

#11 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9863 posts) -

WAIT!

This whole time it wasnt out in Japan till now?

WTF I thought it had already released in Japan.

#12 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

WAIT!

No it wasn't, and that's why Xbone getting pummeled in sales was so hilarious. It was getting owned without the aid of Japan, now that it has launched there Xbone is boned in WW sales without heavy pricedrops.

#13 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

So confirmed: PS4 is capable of 1080p superior multiplats and now happy ending

#14 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

So confirmed: PS4 is capable of 1080p superior multiplats and now happy ending

PS4 just got a Japanese massage.

#15 Posted by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

or the sad reality that the West Beta tested it for them. They probably getting the non-wobble version :(

#16 Edited by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

It's the unfortunate reality of how much the Japanese market has shrunk over the last three gens. It was thought, before the original Xbox came out, that failure in Japan was instant death. Two gens on and the Japan game market is a distant third in terms of size, behind the EU and North America.

That's only true for the console sector. When you take all the gaming sectors into account (console, handheld, PC, mobile, arcade), the Japanese market (which dominates the handheld, mobile and arcade sectors) is similar to the US market (which dominates the console sector) in terms of revenue. However, the largest gaming market overall appears to be China (which dominates the PC sector) right now.

#17 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

@hoyalawya: well the controller definitely must be happy!!! ;)

#19 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

or the sad reality that the West Beta tested it for them. They probably getting the non-wobble version :(

I can't believe that wobble is actually a thing to begin with, I mean sure it makes almost NO difference to the system and how it performs but did no one lean on the system after it was made? lol

#20 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

i'm curious to see how it sells considering the handheld market boom there.

#21 Posted by Heil68 (45249 posts) -

Truly a marvel to watch.

#22 Edited by handssss (1837 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I can't believe that wobble is actually a thing to begin with, I mean sure it makes almost NO difference to the system and how it performs but did no one lean on the system after it was made? lol

if it naturally sits evenly, it hardly matters if it CAN wobble due to someone pressing it down with force. Since it makes absolutely no difference as you said and would never happen in normal use, the decision to put the supports where they did (not on the shiny section) was likely an aesthetic choice.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (58300 posts) -

The savior of the Japanese console market is here :)

#24 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

Did they cum on arrival?

#25 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

@handssss said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

if it naturally sits evenly, it hardly matters if it CAN wobble due to someone pressing it down with force. Since it makes absolutely no difference as you said and would never happen in normal use, the decision to put the supports where they did (not on the shiny section) was likely an aesthetic choice.

no no no this is bad design, ps4 is doom /lemspeak.

#26 Edited by Shewgenja (9638 posts) -

Now the circle is complete. The sun is blocked out for non-gamer garbage like the XBone. Publisher and dev support won't dare pull the crap that happened last gen, now. The Xbox is defeated. Now peace and order can return to the good gamers of the world.

#27 Edited by finalstar2007 (25308 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

WAIT!

lol you didnt know?

but yeah PS4 came out in patches sort of thing from one territory after another and today is officially Japans PS4 launch day.

#28 Posted by Omega-316 (787 posts) -

lol....game over lems.

#29 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@handssss said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Good points. I wasn't bashing the console or anything over it, just thought it was an oddly simple overlooked design thing.

#30 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14472 posts) -

They're still making themselves squirt.

That's one happy playstation.

#31 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@seanmcloughlin: You're IRISH Jack, not Japanese. God damn it, you can't believe everything Evie tells you, have you learned nothing man?

#32 Edited by Cyberdot (3538 posts) -

It's weird that the country where PlayStation came from is the last to get the console.

#33 Edited by bforrester420 (1662 posts) -
@I_can_haz said:

The Japanese have such strange sexual proclivities...

#34 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@seanmcloughlin: You're IRISH Jack, not Japanese. God damn it, you can't believe everything Evie tells you, have you learned nothing man?

She does make convincing arguments :P

#35 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

This definitely puts the nail on the coffin for Xbone.

#36 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -
@I_can_haz said:

What is this? Sony's version of BabeStation?

#37 Posted by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@handssss said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Good points. I wasn't bashing the console or anything over it, just thought it was an oddly simple overlooked design thing.

I actually think it might provide more entertainment than the console itself... think about it.. texting ? wobble the ps4 with your feet. Typing a Paper ? do the same.... got some deep thoughts ? wobble the ps4 while you're doing it!! should be a selling point.

#38 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16595 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'd think you would be more pissed if you bought a PS4 in Japan in November. Not a lot of games came out at launch that would appeal to the Japanese market. I think it was the right move to wait a bit and launch the PS4 in February with Japanese exclusive games. March is also going to be a strong month for the PS4, so it anything, February was the best month to launch the PS4.

#39 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'd think you would be more pissed if you bought a PS4 in Japan in November. Not a lot of games came out at launch that would appeal to the Japanese market. I think it was the right move to wait a bit and launch the PS4 in February with Japanese exclusive games. March is also going to be a strong month for the PS4, so it anything, February was the best month to launch the PS4.

To be fair there's still eff all out there for the Japanese market

#40 Posted by AcidTango (617 posts) -

Seeing that the Japanese gamers are mostly into handheld gaming now. I wonder how well the PS4 will do there over the years?

#41 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3304 posts) -
@Jag85 said:
@I_can_haz said:

I might have to import a Japanese PS4 so I can play the crazy games that are sure to be released there......

And Giant Bomb has some great coverage as usual

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-japanese-playstation-4-store-games/2300-8527/

#42 Posted by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

This probably has a lot to do with the ps4 scarcity in na and eu markets. Glad my grocery store somehow had four launch day

#43 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16595 posts) -
@GoldenElementXL said:

@Jag85 said:
@I_can_haz said:

I might have to import a Japanese PS4 so I can play the crazy games that are sure to be released there......

And Giant Bomb has some great coverage as usual

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-japanese-playstation-4-store-games/2300-8527/

Why would you need to import? The PS4 is region free. If you want to access the Japanese PSN store, you can simply create a Japanese psn account.

#44 Edited by silversix_ (14817 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:
@I_can_haz said:

The Japanese have such strange sexual proclivities...

that's because the large majority of them are single

#45 Edited by remaGloohcSdlO (4152 posts) -

It feels crazy that Japan is just now getting it. I only got one a week ago myself. They have been available for a few weeks around here at GS but I waited until they were in stock at Walmart where my girl works part time to get a discount. Even cooler knowing she only paid $360!

This will put a much bigger gap in the XB1 v PS4 sales... Ouch

#46 Posted by hippiesanta (9902 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin:

the japanese could get a better version 1.5

#47 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Hot damn...hope they don't ban all the cosplay streams.

#48 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

WAIT!

You are not deserving of your avatar or sig. SHM....

Also you were wrong about all versions of MGSV having dynamic atmospheres. So basically you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to gaming.

#49 Edited by EZs (1362 posts) -

Sony made a very strategic move, they release the PS4 everywhere else first because they know Xbone has no chance to conquer Japan, they know the Japanese can wait for the PS4.

Even in South East Asia where I live, console gaming is not as big as Japan but we got the PS4 much earlier than Japan. Only pre-order customers was able to get heir hands on the PS4 during the launch, there was no stock for the walk-in customers. I could never imagine seeing this scenario in my lifetime.

#50 Posted by lordlors (5610 posts) -

@EZs said:

Sony made a very strategic move, they release the PS4 everywhere else first because they know Xbone has no chance to conquer Japan, they know the Japanese can wait for the PS4.

Even in South East Asia where I live, console gaming is not as big as Japan but we got the PS4 much earlier than Japan. Only pre-order customers was able to get heir hands on the PS4 during the launch, there was no stock for the walk-in customers. I could never imagine seeing this scenario in my lifetime.

Actually, Sony said the main reason was that there would be a lack of Japanese-centric games for launch had they decided to release it last year in Japan. It is a sign that console game development in Japan is waning and is inferior to the West. As for handhelds and mobile games though it's a different story.