PS4 Noise Level and HDD Tests.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hoosier7 (3645 posts) -

A German magazine got their hands on a PS4 and in true German style did some tests.

Link: [1] [2]

After 10 minutes of operation

• PS3: 0.83 sone
  • PS4: 0.815 sone

According to the magazine, a "slight noise" is audible from 40cm (= 15.75 inches) distance.

After 60 minutes of operation

• PS3: 2.1 sone
  • PS4: 0.83 sone

"ComputerBild revealed the specfication of Playstation 4 HDD and it reads something like this: "HGST 2.5", 5400 RPM".

In addition to this, ComputerBil also revealed that Playstation 4 HDD supports 2.5" drives up to 12.5mm height.

PS4 HDD speed is capable of speeds in the range of 80 to 100 MB per second"

I think the noise results provide more evidence that the overheating issue isn't factually correct.

The HDD is a bit disappointing as i was hoping for a 7200 RPM HDD but that might have been an unrealistic expectation. Is the 80-100MBps any good?

#2 Edited by OneLazyAsian (1656 posts) -

I am not an expert but wouldn't a higher RPM HDD produce more heat and noise? Considering the size of the console, I guess this is acceptable as Sony doesn't want it to bake or sound like a loud speaker.

#3 Edited by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

The noise of the fans is a pretty terrible way of measuring heat. The insides could be melting, but hey, the fans are completely still and silent, so the temp's probably ok.
What the heck is a sone? Just use dB like normal people you silly Germans. Now I have to convert shit. Or well...

PS3: 0.83 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

Guess those are comparable. Don't know what's meant by "operation" though. Just idling?
Unlike this Gamepur regurgitation shite that doesn't link back to the sources it gets its news from, the actual article details stuff like this.
Stop using N4G, or wherever you got this from.

#4 Posted by lostrib (31064 posts) -

if that HDD height is true then you can go up to about 1TB

#5 Edited by hoosier7 (3645 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Saw someone link to a 1.5TB HDD on Neogaf, didn't seem too pricey either. I'll be upgrading myself possibly day one.

#6 Posted by lostrib (31064 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@lostrib said:

Saw someone link to a 1.5TB HDD on Neogaf, didn't seem too pricey either. I'll be upgrading myself possibly day one.

the only 1.5TB i see on Newegg is 15mm and is a green drive.

#7 Edited by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

80-100MB/s doesn't seem great. But with dat RAM I suppose it doesn't matter too much? I'm no doctor.

I am not an expert but wouldn't a higher RPM HDD produce more heat and noise? Considering the size of the console, I guess this is acceptable as Sony doesn't want it to bake or sound like a loud speaker.

Haven't heard Sony even imply users won't be able to use 7200rpm drives. So it's probably more to do with cost savings.

#8 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

The noise of the fans is a pretty terrible way of measuring heat. The insides could be melting, but hey, the fans are completely still and silent, so the temp's probably ok.

What the heck is a sone? Just use dB like normal people you silly Germans. Now I have to convert shit. Or well...

PS3: 0.83 sone

PS4: 0.83 sone

Guess those are comparable. Don't know what's meant by "operation" though. Just idling?

Unlike this Gamepur regurgitation shite that doesn't link back to the sources it gets its news from,

the actual article

details stuff like this.

Stop using N4G, or wherever you got this from.

Where is your avatar from, looks familiar.....

#9 Edited by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

HereShacknews gets it wrong. Don't know how.
It takes 21 seconds for the system to boot up, not to swap out the drive.

Google Translate says it in perfect English:

When measured in the laboratory, the PS4 needed about 21 seconds to fully boot up the system.

Juornalism.

#10 Edited by stereointegrity (10659 posts) -
#11 Posted by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

Oh no, the PS4 doesn't currently play audio CD's!

Where is your avatar from, looks familiar.....

Some old Giant Bomb quick look I can't remember the gamename of. It was about a horse murdering a circus man, or something, amongst other things.

#12 Edited by clyde46 (43269 posts) -

Quiet fans don't mean shit. My MBP goes to 70'C before the fans kick up.

#13 Posted by Netret0120 (1863 posts) -

I shall simply wait until the ps4 slin is out. The problems should have gone by then.