PS4 Lack of youtube app workaround

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RedentSC (604 posts) -

Firstly, let me apologize if you already know this or you consider it irrelevant to System Wars. I'm posting here being its by far the most popular forum on GS and a lot of regular posters own a PS4

The PS4 has no youtube app, a minor issue for those who just listen to music or watch the odd funny cat video, but a rather large issue if you use youtube like an on demand TV service ... which i do

Since launch we've had to deal with only being able to watch HTML 5 enabled videos. This in itself is not a bad thing but most uploaders do not activate this feature.. why i have no idea... its annoying

The PS3 youtube app was great, and i found today that its only basically a web browser, leading to this site

http://www.youtube.com/tv

Put this into you PS4 web browser, and you have full access to youtube once again... Its basically the PS3 app enabled in HTML5 with what are essentially embedded videos, so all videos will work

Hopefully this helps others... I'm happy with this until we get better youtube support... which may be a while :(

Once again sorry if its already been posted/old etc

#2 Posted by Shewgenja (8465 posts) -

Yep, it works like a charm. Been doing this for months.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29507 posts) -

PS4 as a media center is currently a terrible idea,but I guess it'll get patched later?

#4 Edited by bloodlust_101 (2682 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

PS4 as a media center is currently a terrible idea,but I guess it'll get patched later?

And the media said it was better than the XBone no?

Edit: Dude - the post counts! 25225-2525

#5 Edited by RedentSC (604 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Hopfully. DLNA support is defiantly coming. Whether we will be able to directly upload to youtube is unknown... doubtful as they are currently handled not by "uploading" them to facebook, rather keeping them on Sony servers and tagging you in them on facebook (hence when you look, they are shared via the playstation network). Where as with youtube it must be direct uploads

Its a shame :(

#6 Posted by -CC- (1889 posts) -

Xbone as a gaming machine is currently a terrible idea, but I guess amazon will save it later?

#7 Posted by Senor_Kami (8336 posts) -

Nice that there's a workaround. I honestly don't mind a lack of apps if the web browser versions wok fine.

#8 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@bloodlust_101 said:

@MonsieurX said:

That person must be an idiot to say that. Xbox One is made for Media

#9 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11115 posts) -

Wow thanks, I'll try that out when I get home.

#10 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

No they didn't. Xbox One has made the media features their selling point

#11 Posted by bloodlust_101 (2682 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

@bloodlust_101 said:

@MonsieurX said:

That person must be an idiot to say that. Xbox One is made for Media

I'm sure I saw an article saying the BluRay playback was better on the PS4 - same for the Netflix app.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there was also something to do with surround sound? Lower quality HDMI in which degrades TV too?

If XBone was made for media - but losing against last gen consoles on certain media I would say there is a major problem. (PS4 Bluray playback also lost against PS3 but the PS4 isn't media centric)

#12 Posted by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

I thought the YouTube app on ps3 was awful with the scroll typing and it didn't even look like YouTube. I hope the ps4 gets a legit like the vita got.

#13 Edited by silversix_ (14072 posts) -

Very true and not having a youtube app from day one is dumb as hell. I dunno if its possible now but the first week i couldn't even watch anything on youtube

#14 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8366 posts) -

@bloodlust_101 Both x1 and ps4 have their faults in bluray playback but the general consensus is that the former is superior to the latter. However both are step back from ps3. Get your facts straight.

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (7173 posts) -

Youtube seems like a no-brainer, should've been there from day one. It's great that there's a work around though. The little time I've spent with the PS4's web browser was pretty snappy, but oddly different control-wise from the PS3's browser (which I'd become pretty familiar with after an old laptop shit it's self.)