PS4 is not supporting any old logitech wheels apparently...

#1 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Apparently Sony wont let Logitech make a driver for the PS4 because it does not have some sort of security chip. WTF?

Oh well not going to playing GT7 on my official GT4 wheel (Driving Force Pro). Shame because I really like this wheel, oh well still works on PC.

#2 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10525 posts) -

Sons of bitches

#3 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4894 posts) -

i'm wheely dissatisfied.

#4 Posted by Chutebox (37354 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i'm wheely dissatisfied.

Ha!

#5 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

The sad thing is if this is true then Sony lied to us. The DriveClub devs said all wheels that worked on PS3 will work on PS4 last year. Then Logitech drops this on us... although I'm a bit late with it, was posted on the 3rd...

https://twitter.com/LogitechG/statuses/496042493155094528

Who to believe?

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

Selling new > re-using older tech

#7 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10596 posts) -

@edwardecl: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-the-logitech-wheel-work-on-ps4.275120/#post-9515975

As a G25 owner myself, & what with all the speculation around what wheels will be compatible on the PS4, I decided to contact customer support on the Logitech website.

Here's what I asked them:

"I own a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel. Awesome piece of kit by the way, still going strong after 5 years of use! I am part of a community of sim racers & many of us would like to know the answer to a question that is of great concern; Are you going to be supporting the DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels on the Playstation 4?"

Here's the reply that I just got:

"Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care.

My name is Maciej and I will gladly assist you with your request.

I am glad that you like our G25 Racing Wheel it is really great product. Unfortunately DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels are not supported by the Playstation 4. We do not plan to start supporting those racing wheels in the future, I am very sorry for that."

#8 Edited by Chutebox (37354 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@edwardecl: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-the-logitech-wheel-work-on-ps4.275120/#post-9515975

As a G25 owner myself, & what with all the speculation around what wheels will be compatible on the PS4, I decided to contact customer support on the Logitech website.

"I own a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel. Awesome piece of kit by the way, still going strong after 5 years of use! I am part of a community of sim racers & many of us would like to know the answer to a question that is of great concern; Are you going to be supporting the DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels on the Playstation 4?"

I am glad that you like our G25 Racing Wheel it is really great product. Unfortunately DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels are not supported by the Playstation 4. We do not plan to start supporting those racing wheels in the future, I am very sorry for that."

So it's logitech, not Sony?

Read a bit about it, seems like it's up to the devs.

#9 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10596 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-the-logitech-wheel-work-on-ps4.275120/#post-9515975

So it's logitech, not Sony?

I have not clue, though I did read that Logitech is discontinuing their gaming peripherals....so that may have something to do with it?

#10 Posted by GlassdoorGamer (17 posts) -

What's so shocking about this? The NES Zapper never worked on the SNES. The Xbox 360 Controller does not work with the Xbox one. This isn't something out of the ordinary in the console space.

#11 Edited by SolidTy (43724 posts) -
@glassdoorgamer said:

What's so shocking about this? The NES Zapper never worked on the SNES. The Xbox 360 Controller does not work with the Xbox one. This isn't something out of the ordinary in the console space.

It was a great PS2 wheel, but yeah, maybe they can make a new really good wheel for PS4 to last to PS6.

#12 Edited by Daious (1369 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

Apparently Sony wont let Logitech make a driver for the PS4 because it does not have some sort of security chip. WTF?

Its not about not letting, its because they can't.

Cronusmax is an adapter that allows anyone to play any controller on any console. The odd man out is the ps4. You have to plug in the ps4 controller to the hub with the new controller if you want to use it because sony security chip in the ps4 controller. The dualshock 4 apparently pings that it is a dualshock controller every 10 minutes. To use a different controller you need to have the ps4 plugged into the hub adapter to ping it because of the chip. You need the chip or the unrecognized controller will stop working after 10 minutes.

#13 Edited by Doozie78 (332 posts) -

So who is really to blame here? This is just lame beyond belief and a dipshit idea on Sony's part. Denying the most common peripherals for racing is tantamount to slicing their wrists when it comes to racing enthusiasts. Lame shit, lame shit, lame shit...

Thankfully PC will be supporting these wheels day 1 as always. Project Cars will work as planned (on PC) at least but sadly Driveclub I'm likely going to be avoiding now.

#14 Edited by farrell2k (6335 posts) -

You are probably the only person alive who actually cares.

#15 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Stick with fumblesticks.

#16 Posted by Malta_1980 (11398 posts) -

This sucks but considering I'm interested in getting a few racing games on PS4 and waiting for the next GT installment I'll end up getting a new wheel...

#17 Posted by Caseytappy (2147 posts) -

Why not remake some last gen racing games that you can play with the new steering wheel they now force you to buy .

Awesome new console gen !

#18 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3620 posts) -

PS4 has no wheels .

#19 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@glassdoorgamer said:

Yeah well, there's not much you can change with a force feedback wheel. That old wheel is probably as just as good as the new ones, think the only thing missing is a clutch pedal and a gear stick. I'm not gonna buy a new expensive wheels for ~£200 just to get those things, they are not even important to me.
Maybe it is up to the game devs, as long gas GT7 supports it I will be happy.

#20 Edited by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Sons of bitches

I'll email GODny and tell them it doesn't a line with the by gamers for gamers mantra that's made them the current gen 8 leader.

#21 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10525 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Sons of bitches

I'll email GODny and tell them it doesn't a line with the by gamers for gamers mantra that's made them the current gen 8 leader.

Good...I am glad you're on it.

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151395 posts) -

This is news? Happens every gen for consoles. It's rare not common.

#23 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

This is news? Happens every gen for consoles. It's rare not common.

The wheel I have is the Driving Force Pro, this wheel came out for GT4 on PS2, they bothered to add support for it on the PS3. So it does not happen with every gen.

Maybe I'm asking too much for a PS2 era wheel to be supported on the PS4 though, but still the newer Logitech ones not being supported is a big deal.