PS4 is already Profitable says Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

And being that it's selling so well, I don't expect them to drop the price any time soon, meaning they'll only make even more down the line. All they need now is some damn games!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/23/5744344/ps4-already-profitable-for-sony-ceo-says

Since its launch in November, the PS4 sold more than 7 million units worldwide as of April 6 and, according to NPD data. was the top-selling platform in April for the fourth month in a row. While Sony ended its fiscal year a net loss of $1.26 billion, the consoles launch helped increase its sales and operating revenue by 14.3 percent. Its game sector recorded an operating loss of $78 million partially due to costs associated with the console's launch and a sales increase of 38.5 percent, also attributed to the system's release.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Already a thread and it already got locked because a Mod thinks that's not what he said when it's translated. *shrug*

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zero_epyon

@misterpmedia: Really? Ok I'll find some more sources and see if they come to the same conclusion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

@misterpmedia: Really? Ok I'll find some more sources and see if they come to the same conclusion.

It could be alright, we'll know soon enough if that blue hazy chap is modding at the minute, he closed the last one.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zero_epyon

@scottpsfan14 said:

Of course it will be true. PS4 is selling like nothing else.

True, but that's not what's making it profitable. They're selling it for more than it costs to make one, which usually isn't the case. It's a good thing for them and consumers since they can drop the price at will without being too concerned about losing. But like you said, they're selling way too well to want to drop the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

"says Sony"

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

Got an investor email with this. Great news for Sony. I don't see a price drop soon. Why cut your profits when you are getting them and there is still demand for the product?

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Hoping this one stays unlocked! :p

Sony doing its thing with nothin' holding them back.

Signs that could be pointing to a holiday price-cut soon.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

As sheen's like to say companies lie. oh and ps4 profitable....the rest of sony 1.3billion dollar loss.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zero_epyon

@WilliamRLBaker said:

As sheen's like to say companies lie. oh and ps4 profitable....the rest of sony 1.3billion dollar loss.

Isn't fibbing about a product's profitability sort of illegal? Or at least suicide when it comes to investors? I don't think Sony would be that desperate. And who know, maybe Sony's gaming division will end up being the savior of Sony. Personally, I don't really care about anything Sony other than the Playstation brand. BTW what's a sheen. I know it's your term for lemmings but I don't know what a sheen actually is.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

You're being silly. This thread is about Playstation profitability and not Sony overall. Troll harder.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

hy cut your profits when you are getting them and there is still demand for the product?

Yeaup, anyone thinking otherwise is misleading themselves.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Mostly indies (Budget games), kickstarter, PSN plus (Paid online for PS3 used as servers lol)

cheaping things alittle bit plus a fanbase that does the marketing for them Helps.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnbiasedPoster

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Mostly indies (Budget games), kickstarter, PSN plus (Paid online for PS3 used as servers lol)

cheaping things alittle bit plus a fanbase that does the marketing for them Helps.

They said the hardware itself. You are wrong.

Also, what country are you from where they capitalize only the first letter of the last word in a sentence?

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Also, what country are you from where they capitalize only the first letter of the last word in a sentence?

Puerto Rico, I just love breaking grammar rules for fun, mate.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

It doesnt matter how much it sells. If it cost more to make, ship and market then a loss is a loss. 1 million sold or 20 million sold, it doesnt turn into profit until production cost dictate so.

There are schools for people like you.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UnbiasedPoster

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Puerto Rico, I love breaking grammar rules for guys like you.

You implying it was intentional is funny.

But it doesn't matter. Doesn't make your original post any less wrong.

Better luck next post.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I think Sony will cut the price sometime soon, even it's only by a little. With MS advertising their plans to drop the Kinect to produce a $400 SKU, I think Sony's next move to follow is to announce maybe a cheaper PS4 to widen its edge.

Dennysinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dennysinny
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts

lol the only system need to drop they price is wii u

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Loading Video...

maybe this will put down the price

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Thank God for Sony of Japan. They are very humble and deserve their blessings! Even if the Xbone dropped to $299 the PS4 should still stay where it's at being that it's still worth every penny. Xbone is worth $249 in all honesty considering the performance and the lack of upcoming exclusives. The launch was Xbone's short lived time to shine and from here on out it will be a disaster. Still admire the controller though. But I'm not happy about having spent $499 on a controller.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zero_epyon

@RimacBugatti said:

@Zero_epyon: Thank God for Sony of Japan. They are very humble and deserve their blessings! Even if the Xbone dropped to $299 the PS4 should still stay where it's at being that it's still worth every penny. Xbone is worth $249 in all honesty considering the performance and the lack of upcoming exclusives. The launch was Xbone's short lived time to shine and from here on out it will be a disaster. Still admire the controller though. But I'm not happy about having spent $499 on a controller.

The xbox is weaker, true. But 249 wouldn't help MS. It would actually make the product look more inferior than it is. Let's see how the 399 thing works out, though I think they should have dropped it below PS4 and broke even at least.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zero_epyon

@hippiesanta: Na. I think they'll just announce a super slim ps3 for 100 and a PS4 with smaller chips with the same design and price. If they drop the price, it will be because they included a much smaller drive, like a 250 GB for $379.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

It doesnt matter how much it sells. If it cost more to make, ship and market then a loss is a loss. 1 million sold or 20 million sold, it doesnt turn into profit until production cost dictate so.

There are schools for people like you.

Ugh the ignorance it burns....

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Atleast Microsoft can afford to lose a few more dollars than Sony. Don't get me wrong the Xbone is a wonderful looking console and initially had the lead at launch but the momentum dropped recently and now PS4 is in the lead for good. Microsoft did it right with the controller but they were trying to stretch their profits by using cheaper hardware. But they should have known that we would soon find out how much weaker it was. Microsoft tries to give you something that looks good and Sony gives us something that is good. Microsoft was trying to take over the gaming industry completely and has failed hugely. Sony had balls to use that same CPU but surprisingly is has worked so far. Even if Microsoft had spent a couple more dollars and put a better CPu in the Xbone than I would have given them more credit. They just completely failed this time around.