PS4 DRM reversal. Why is it ignored here?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2137 Posts

Its because they never had any form of drm in place, they said in February that their policies would be the same as ps3, cept for getting charged for online.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Who cares?
It didn't happen did it?
So why even give a shit.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni: There is a reason for it being Hypothetical. It isn't real. But saying there is a difference between securing patents for something, and actually attempting it is totally different, as you did. Most come down on MS for attempting it. I say if the response had been neutral to positive, Sony takes to the stage at E3 after and has the same thing lined up for PS4. And cows would say, "sony had patents for the same thing". So in negative patents don't mean anything, but hypothetically positive, I think patents are all meaningful in the argument.

Well, it actually wasn't me that said that (though I echo the sentiment), I just kinda jumped in this conversation. So what you're saying is we should treat thoughts the same as deeds?

Why would cows say anything about the patent? Are you suggesting that always on-line DRM is somehow an innovation that has never been attempted? Or that invasive DRM is new? Or that the patent is anything similar to what MS had set up?

But I'll play. In that alternate reality where people don't care or enjoy invasive DRM, I'd say Sony still doesn't implement invasive DRM. Once the systems launch, people quickly realize how bad the MS policies are and sales stop at under 2 million world wide while Sony continues on to greater success than they had with the PS2 and Sony throws a world wide pizza party to celebrate.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is the 145th time this topic has been rebuffed in SW since SUMMER 2013. It's really, really old.

@GoldenElementXL said:

@-RPGamer- said:

So Sony was smarter sooner than MS? K.

Shuhei Yoshida said that Sony changed it's policy after the reaction to Microsoft announcing it's policy with the Xbox One. So I wouldn't say they were smarter sooner. Going second put them in a position to look like the hero. Sony being so quiet on the subject in the end is what saved them. Microsoft put it all out there and paid for it.

Where did Yoshida say specifically that Sony changed it's policy after the reaction? Yoshida's supposed quote is Definitely not in the link(s) you provided. Yoshida didn't say that in the link. That author Kevin Parrish from Tom's site pulled a fast one on you, which isn't surprising if you followed Kevin's history. All you have to do is go to the Polygon site he quickly referenced.

Here's what Polygon's actual article said with Yoshida's DIRECT QUOTE:

"There were lots of people who gave their opinions on that issue to my Twitter account before E3," SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu magazine this week. "It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source."

"It was a useful source" =/= "Yoshida said Sony changed it's policy!" That's pure fabrication on the author's part, and it's lies like these that some super fans want to believe over and over. All one has to do is FACT CHECK the source.

Quoted from your link:

Everyone needs to read the "source" (link provided in article and below) where the author alleges "SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida admitted to Famistu magazine this week that Sony changed its stance on DRM after hearing all the negative feedback stemming from the Xbox One."

Because absolutely NO WHERE in the source does that ever come up. This article is VERY misleading and the author is clearly trying to push a narrative that is simply NOT TRUE.

Source provided by author: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future

The Patent argument has some merit, if we completely forget that these companies file thousands of patents every year and the vast majority of them don't get used. Why would a massive company file so many patents if they aren't going to use them? To protect yourself from the competition, to get royalties from the competition infringing on your patents, to trade rights between companies for leverage, as well as use the patents/technology yourself. There are even more reasons than that. Companies are going through massive Patent Wars ranging from Samsung to Apple to Sony to Motorola to Google and especially to Microsoft.

All we have is a narrative constructed by Kevin Parrish that some want desperately to believe, and that narrative was constructed by lying about what Shuhei Yoshida actually did say combined with a misunderstanding of Patents.

At the end of the day, history records what two companies did and that is what matters. If MOTIVE is your concern, it should be your concern not only for PS4, but definitely for the Xbone, as they can 180 their policies in two years if they wanted. Motive works both ways, and with one company we DEFINITELY know what they wanted by their attempt with the Xbone. The other company behind the PS4 we can speculate based on unused patents and a deliberate misquote.

I do not doubt that Sony did indeed strategically wait it out (a choice any company has), however we don't know to what degree the alterations made, if any. We can only speculate. What we do know for sure is clearly in front of us for Xbone and PS4. Ultimately, it doesn't matter because what's done is done and one company was forced to backpedal their entire plan and the other moved forward. I should track down my responses earlier this year and just copy/paste 100x since I'm sure this will pop up again and again and again in 2014 and beyond.

There was no reversal because Sony never announced a new form of anti consumer PS4 DRM in the first place.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@asylumni said:

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni: There is a reason for it being Hypothetical. It isn't real. But saying there is a difference between securing patents for something, and actually attempting it is totally different, as you did. Most come down on MS for attempting it. I say if the response had been neutral to positive, Sony takes to the stage at E3 after and has the same thing lined up for PS4. And cows would say, "sony had patents for the same thing". So in negative patents don't mean anything, but hypothetically positive, I think patents are all meaningful in the argument.

Well, it actually wasn't me that said that (though I echo the sentiment), I just kinda jumped in this conversation. So what you're saying is we should treat thoughts the same as deeds?

Why would cows say anything about the patent? Are you suggesting that always on-line DRM is somehow an innovation that has never been attempted? Or that invasive DRM is new? Or that the patent is anything similar to what MS had set up?

But I'll play. In that alternate reality where people don't care or enjoy invasive DRM, I'd say Sony still doesn't implement invasive DRM. Once the systems launch, people quickly realize how bad the MS policies are and sales stop at under 2 million world wide while Sony continues on to greater success than they had with the PS2 and Sony throws a world wide pizza party to celebrate.

So filing a patent is done by thought? So I can file one right from my kitchen? I disagree. If it was seen as positive, whether you believe it had any or not, Sony would have followed suit.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Because exploration and implementation are two different things?

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Well, at least Sony canceled the DRM policy, while it looks like M$ is going to do another 180 and reinstate the DRM policy. :-o

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

So a company thinks about it then retracts it need to be looked at badly and in the same boat as a company who said it and then when everyone was against it said you either live with it or lump it, yea and it just because there are cows all over the boards give me a break. One company realised before it was to late and the other company thought they was bigger than their customers. Its as simple as that

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 asylumni

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni said:

@cainetao11 said:

So filing a patent is done by thought? So I can file one right from my kitchen? I disagree. If it was seen as positive, whether you believe it had any or not, Sony would have followed suit.

Ok, so you can imagine an alternate reality where people like invasive DRM and Sony implements a scheme similar to MS's. So what?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Dire_Weasel said:

There was never an anti-consumer DRM policy for the Playstation 4, either announced, or put in place. Therefore, there was never a reversal.

this

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Heil68 said:

Because SONY is by gamers for gamers AND practices the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle.

Yeah they are for gamers alright. Just ask the online users of MAG, and GT5.

Or ask the users of Warhawk/Starhawk. Warhawk is the oldest ps3 online big one and is still kicking. MAG didn't have that big of an online and the GT5 one I'd admit is unfortunate but GT6 is out so there will be plenty of people upgrading which means it's not that big of a deal. So go away.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

@kuu2 said:

@Heil68 said:

Because SONY is by gamers for gamers AND practices the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle.

Yeah they are for gamers alright. Just ask the online users of MAG, and GT5.

Or ask the users of Warhawk/Starhawk. Warhawk is the oldest ps3 online big one and is still kicking. MAG didn't have that big of an online and the GT5 one I'd admit is unfortunate but GT6 is out so there will be plenty of people upgrading which means it's not that big of a deal. So go away.

What a shitty excuse. Sony is a company, they're not for gamers. They're for profit

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@tormentos said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

@-RPGamer- said:

So Sony was smarter sooner than MS? K.

Shuhei Yoshida said that Sony changed it's policy after the reaction to Microsoft announcing it's policy with the Xbox One. So I wouldn't say they were smarter sooner. Going second put them in a position to look like the hero. Sony being so quiet on the subject in the end is what saved them. Microsoft put it all out there and paid for it.

The reaction for MS DRM had been going on for months before it was confirmed,in fact you can find many threads here done about MS DRM which lemming like you dismiss as rumors,on May what MS deliver was a semi confirmation even that the voices were already strong and fans were outrage,when E3 arrive and they confirmed all the bad crap the real riot exploded,MS wanted to keep ahead with DRM,it wasn't until they saw how bad pre-orders were that the decide to drop it.

Even if sony think about it yeah they were ultra fast and didn't actually implement it,it is easy to see the PS4 didn't need an upgrade to erase DRM like MS did.

Not a lemming.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because Sony can do no wrong in the eyes of cows, and they make up a large portion of the fanboy population here.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Because Sony can do no wrong in the eyes of cows, and they make up a large portion of the fanboy population here.

apart from the lemmings who make outrageous claims and threads for the sake of arguing,

and or applying copious amounts of butthurt cream,

720p impairs their vision for sure

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Sony can do no wrong in the eyes of cows? Really? Because I call Sony and cows out all the time.

Lemmings can deny it all they want but we all know everyone lost hope for lems after they defended MS during the E3 DRM and XBox one Policy announcements. That was the endpoint for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#67 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It is ignored here because cows have the majority in numbers. The have the ability to turn a blind eye to anything that doesn't benefit their cause.

Perfect example: Forza micro transactions "OMG MS is killing gaming"

GT6 micro transactions "well you don't have to buy them"

Now put that on a bigger stage such as DRM. MS are evil bastards who want to kill you and take your money and Sony can do no wrong. Yeah.

Excellent point.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cainetao11

@asylumni said:

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni said:

@cainetao11 said:

Ok, so you can imagine an alternate reality where people like invasive DRM and Sony implements a scheme similar to MS's. So what?

So lets SING!!!! Booty going up............Down..................Got no problem spending all of my money

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

BritneyBox Thread #8962357903298

I mean, you have to be prolapsed by MSes dicking you down if you have to complain about Sonys patents and a boat-load of supposition about what may or may not have been in the PS4 before even a beta kit rolled out of some factory in China.

It's not regarded the same BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE SAME. Even after being caught with their peepee in a crackheads mouth for the world to see with their botched reveal of the XBone, they continued to tow "the party line" until Sony literally pointed a gun at their heads at E3 this year. This has nothing to do with which fanbase is bigger. This has nothing to do with preferential treatment. It has EVERYTHING to do with Sony winning over a large portion of the 360s fanbase by not following MS down this road of complete and utter fuckery.

Until you can get that through your skulls, Lems, you are going to be left in the dust wondering what happened. Turns out, brand loyalty is not enough to be a major competitor. A lesson the whole world learned back in '05 and '06 that you have oh so conveniently forgotten.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Shewgenja

#Dealwithit

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By asylumni

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni said:

So lets SING!!!! Booty going up............Down..................Got no problem spending all of my money

Trying to see what's up now

I can do this all day like it ain't nothing

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Theres no proof that Sony had put DRM shit into the PS4. They may have considered it but that doesnt mean much.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cainetao11

@asylumni said:

@cainetao11 said:

@asylumni said:

Trying to see what's up now

I can do this all day like it ain't nothing

LOL nice

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I mean, you have to be prolapsed by MSes dicking you down if you have to complain about Sonys patents and a boat-load of supposition about what may or may not have been in the PS4 before even a beta kit rolled out of some factory in China.

It's not regarded the same BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE SAME. Even after being caught with their peepee in a crackheads mouth for the world to see with their botched reveal of the XBone, they continued to tow "the party line" until Sony literally pointed a gun at their heads at E3 this year. This has nothing to do with which fanbase is bigger. This has nothing to do with preferential treatment. It has EVERYTHING to do with Sony winning over a large portion of the 360s fanbase by not following MS down this road of complete and utter fuckery.

Until you can get that through your skulls, Lems, you are going to be left in the dust wondering what happened. Turns out, brand loyalty is not enough to be a major competitor. A lesson the whole world learned back in '05 and '06 that you have oh so conveniently forgotten.

The low preorders forced them to get rid of the drm and not sony.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#75  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Sony never told everyone that "Hey no used games so **** you"

Both companies could hear the discontent with consumers, Sony decided not to go that route, MS was like "**** you deal with it" until no one was going to buy their product.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Shewgenja

@super600 said:

@Shewgenja said:

The low preorders forced them to get rid of the drm and not sony.

How many XBox fans jumped ship to supporting Sony after that E3? Come on man. Don't go all revisionist on this.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

because sony didnt have to change their minds. where would gamers go if they went with the flow? nintendo? steambox? become full-on pc gamers or never go next gen? they held the power and they decided to be smart. They realized that while they didn't have to reverse the DRM ideals because all the complaining and promises to leave their system would just be hollow threats, they could do it and look like the gaming heroes and cause a massive conversion to possibly take place.

regardless of their motives or what they WOULD have done, they never did it and their official stance that they announced to the world forced Microsoft to reverse their DRM policies that they did have and they did announce and they were going with.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#78 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

There is no DRM, I play my PS4 offline all the time because I have a really long Ethernet cord which I use to connect because i don't like using Wi-Fi and my friends always steal it for their laptops when they come over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Another lembot desperation thread. Another fail. Self owned because you didn't read up on the facts.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

@tdkmillsy:

@tdkmillsy said:

@Chutebox said:

If they did, who gives ashit? As long as they changed it

Microsoft changed it but they still got shit for it.

The different is, Sony never came out and said they have DRM, it was only rumor and speculate (but pretty sure they had it in their mind.) MS on the other hand came out, made a big things about it and it back fire them

That's really the bottom line. Whatever Sony was *thinking* about doing doesn't matter. It's what they did that matters. MS took a lot of shit because they not only said they were implementing it, but tried their hardest to sell their convoluted, confusing, confused idea to the public. For at least a month.

When they finally reversed course, a lot of the damage had been done. The information had circulated to people who barely pay attention to the daily things going on in the gaming world. So much so that to this day, they're explaining that you *can* play the console offline and you *can* play rental games.

The thread reads as sour grapes. Like a sports player getting flagged for doing something, then complaining to the referees that someone else was going to do it too. It's just poor form. But yea, this is why MS got a heaping helping of shit. And really, this isn't why MS is already falling behind Sony in console sales worldwide. It's because their console is $100 more, among other things.

And really, all you posters acting like you have a persecution complex...get your fucking lives together. You're not persecuted. Any image problems Microsoft has right now are of their own creation. The various misinformation campaigns, the DRM plan they attempted to implement, the lies about the power difference, and the forced inclusion of Kinect at a +$100 premium are all controversies THEY created and only THEY can make those things right in the eyes of the larger gaming public. Get it through your head. You're not being picked on and you're not special. And as a matter of fact, you don't work for Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo so why are you taking things personally anyway? Seek counseling if people hating on the console that you own actually invokes negative emotions in your brains. Seriously.