PS4 doesn't have a "pause download" option?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

So I got my PS4 last week and decided I would do what everyone does, download a bunch of stuff.

I started downloading a few games and updating others thinking I could pause or stop the stuff I didn't need right away and prioritise the stuff I really wanted to play. But the downloads don't have a pause or stop option like the PS3 does. This seems like the most basic of functionalities.

My internet sucks and it takes long enough to download small update files without the system simultaneously downloading everything else at the same time hogging all my bandwidth. It seems like a really bad design choice. I hope that shit will be changed in the future.

#2 Edited by _Matt_ (8417 posts) -

I don't think it does have a pause download option. When I have lots to download though I just put it into standby overnight and it will download everything when I'm sleeping.

#3 Edited by Telekill (3948 posts) -

Yeah... i don't see this as an issue. Chalk it up to a learning experience for yourself to choose your priorities before hitting the download button.

#4 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42253 posts) -

So I got my PS4 last week and decided I would do what everyone does, download a bunch of stuff.

I started downloading a few games and updating others thinking I could pause or stop the stuff I didn't need right away and prioritise the stuff I really wanted to play. But the downloads don't have a pause or stop option like the PS3 does. This seems like the most basic of functionalities.

My internet sucks and it takes long enough to download small update files without the system simultaneously downloading everything else at the same time hogging all my bandwidth. It seems like a really bad design choice. I hope that shit will be changed in the future.

That sounds rather odd, but remember that both systems are pretty bare-bones right now having just released. I believe both do not even tell you how much space you're taking up either, which is odd. Jumping in right out of the gate or close to the gate in this regard means a lot of waiting for polishing and refinements. For something as basic as that, it'll probably be in an update to come. You might just have to completely power it down, or like the user above me stated, have it download during standby while you're hitting the sack.

#5 Edited by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Yeah... i don't see this as an issue. Chalk it up to a learning experience for yourself to choose your priorities before hitting the download button.

What a bullshit excuse for bad design. It's a simple option that the PS3 already had, it should have been mandatory in the PS4.

#6 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9337 posts) -

When you own a PS4 or an Xbox One, you'll realize how many simple things both consoles have left out. That being said, I expect some fairly large updates from both systems going forward.

#7 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: I disagree. A mandatory thing should have been true backwards compatibility or even on a lessor scale, MP3 and WMA playback.

Pausing a download isn't that big an issue.

#8 Edited by Nengo_Flow (8831 posts) -

Updates... there will be several.

But yeah consoles are like that, the first year its nothing but updates and the second year might still have lots of updates as well to add feature or fix features.

#9 Posted by clyde46 (42117 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@seanmcloughlin: I disagree. A mandatory thing should have been true backwards compatibility or even on a lessor scale, MP3 and WMA playback.

Wanting BC in the PS4 is stupid, did you want to pay £800 for the PS4?

#10 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1263 posts) -
#11 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@clyde46: For proper BC, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $100 for the system.

#12 Posted by clyde46 (42117 posts) -

@Telekill said:

You keep saying things you don't understand anything about.

#13 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@clyde46: So do you. I guess we're even.

#14 Edited by clyde46 (42117 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@clyde46: So do you. I guess we're even.

You are asking for BC based on the most complex every designed video game system to be included together with a standard X86 system and to keep it under £400.... Jesus Christ, wake the hell up dude.

#15 Posted by hoosier7 (3303 posts) -

@Telekill said:

What a bullshit excuse for bad design. It's a simple option that the PS3 already had, it should have been mandatory in the PS4.

So was seeing how much space is left on your hard drive with the X1 and 360. I think there's a few TV apps here in the UK missing that were on 360 too so it applies to both consoles.

Welcome to console launches, don't like it, don't buy them.

#16 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

That sounds rather odd, but remember that both systems are pretty bare-bones right now having just released. I believe both do not even tell you how much space you're taking up either, which is odd. Jumping in right out of the gate or close to the gate in this regard means a lot of waiting for polishing and refinements. For something as basic as that, it'll probably be in an update to come. You might just have to completely power it down, or like the user above me stated, have it download during standby while you're hitting the sack.

The PS4 shows how much space is taken up actually, at least it does now when I check but there was an update since launch so maybe it was changed.

It wouldn't bug me as much if it wasn't already on the PS3, sure the PS3 didn't have that option at launch either but I expect newer iterations of these machines to improve on what the last did, not strip stuff and do certain things worse.

#17 Edited by JohnF111 (13922 posts) -

The only thing I hate that isn't included is DLNA and proper media playback. Why the hell should I have to keep my PS3 on just to have a decent movie player? Seems odd that such a modern console can miss out on these, it really does show how rushed the software is when they "prioritised" gaming and even then didn't half those features like snapshots and headset support.

I honestly expected some news as to when these features would have been added by now.

#18 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@Telekill said:

BC isn't a mandatory thing because it costs extra to put it in. It's an added luxury to a system for those willing to spend more. A normal PS4 and a BC PS4 option would have been nice

Pausing downloads and simple stuff like that SHOULD be mandatory because the PS3 already did it. The PS4 should improve on it instead of not having it at all, that's why I say it's mandatory

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (27961 posts) -

PS4 is missing a lot of features that PS3 has right now. I hate the PS4 user interface as it is. The only thing it does better than PS3 atm is getting in and out of the store.

#20 Edited by TwistedShade (2982 posts) -

Fun listening to cows make up excuses for missing a core feature, have a feeling if we were talking about the Xbox One those same people would be Loling at how bad it was for missing it.

#21 Edited by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

It will get patched, it's console launh, what were you expecting. Thats why I just bought Wii U now and that's why I'll get a ps4 next year

#22 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@clyde46: According to the Bible, He woke up in 60 A.D. after being dead for three days.

Spiteful reply on your part earns the above response.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (85372 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Fanboy apologism at it's finest. This kind of feature is extremely basic and Sony having left it out is an extreme oversight. Especially since the PS3 already had it.

#24 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: I actually don't consider myself a fanboy. I prefer PlayStation products but I don't take it to a level of fanaticism.

As an example, I don't go around basing Nintendo and Xbox for the sake of basing and I don't attack others for their preferences.

#25 Posted by _Matt_ (8417 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: It is a really simple feature that you would expect in; here's hoping that it is patched in asap, it probably won't take a lot to patch it in.

I'm guessing it's just another of those features that got skipped over in order to provide a speedier launch in November.

#26 Edited by clyde46 (42117 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@clyde46: According to the Bible, He woke up in 60 A.D. after being dead for three days.

Spiteful reply on your part earns the above response.

Fanboy'ism at its finest. Your ignorance is staggering.

#27 Edited by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@seanmcloughlin: It is a really simple feature that you would expect in; here's hoping that it is patched in asap, it probably won't take a lot to patch it in.

I'm guessing it's just another of those features that got skipped over in order to provide a speedier launch in November.

I'd imagine so, still kind of annoying though. It's fine for people with decent internet because these kinds of things are basically non-issues. But for someone like me who has atrocious internet you can really start seeing cracks in those things a lot easier.

#28 Posted by handssss (1342 posts) -

@Telekill said:

it would have been at least an extra $200 most likely and you are DEFINITELY in the minority for those willing to pay such a steep price.

#29 Edited by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@clyde46: I'm actually not that religious either. Thus, I'm not a Bible thumper... aka fanboy.

#30 Posted by jsmoke03 (12072 posts) -

lol you are right. i wondered that myself. i think they got rid of that option because you can background dl wihout any interruption.

there are alot of issues with ui that i want addressed because i think ps3 had better organization than ps4.

#31 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15599 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I believe both do not even tell you how much space you're taking up either, which is odd.

Incorrect, the Playstation 4 handles storage management just fine ... you can see how big the hard drive is, how much space is on it, and you can delete whatever you would like.

#32 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42253 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I believe both do not even tell you how much space you're taking up either, which is odd.

Incorrect, the Playstation 4 handles storage management just fine ... you can see how big the hard drive is, how much space is on it, and you can delete whatever you would like.

I stand corrected then, I'm not sure where I heard that then unless that was fixed in an update? I know the Xbox doesn't allow such, right? Or has that been fixed as well?

#33 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5571 posts) -

Yeah there is no Pause option at all for downloads. Worse thing is if you have more than one downloads, both will be downloading at the same time.

#34 Posted by _Matt_ (8417 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

I'd imagine so, still kind of annoying though. It's fine for people with decent internet because these kinds of things are basically non-issues. But for someone like me who has atrocious internet you can really start seeing cracks in those things a lot easier.

Yeah definitely, I can imagine it is pretty frustrating.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I recommend putting into standby overnight to download all your games for now (Just make sure that downloading is enabled for standby mode in the options)

#35 Posted by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

That seems odd... unless my memory fails me, I think that was an option from day 1 with he PS3. Then again, this is Sony we are talking about, so logic doesn't always apply lol

#36 Posted by jonesy1911 (3461 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: I don't mind it as I'm on a 100mb connect. The PS3 wouldn't resume a paused download without you telling it to so, so the whole wanting to pause was pointless anyway!

#37 Posted by OneLazyAsian (1651 posts) -

Guess it's just further proof how rushed both consoles were to hit the market. Sony and MS weren't going to let Nintendo have a two year head start.

#38 Edited by edidili (3424 posts) -

Both systems are new, both systems have things missing as was expected and both will get more and more features as time goes on. The only question is how fast will these companies update the software. If history is anything to go by Sony has been pretty damn slow on that regard. For example MS is delivering updates now to fix their OS but we're not hearing anything from Sony.

#39 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2630 posts) -

Does anyone's PS4 actually download patches when it's on standby? Because mine doesn't, and I can't figure out why. I've set it in the settings, yet I still have to download patches manually. I don't understand. Is this a glitch?

#40 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: I don't mind it as I'm on a 100mb connect. The PS3 wouldn't resume a paused download without you telling it to so, so the whole wanting to pause was pointless anyway!

Wanting to pause is not pointless. I can't spread my connection around my other gadgets and devices, if something is using it then something else usually can't, it's that slow. If I wanted to do something on my computer involving the internet for a while like playing a game online or even just checking youtube videos it's nice to be able to pause the downloads and let my computer use all the bandwidth. Then resume them when I wasn't using the internet for anything else.

It was a simple feature that I liked.

#41 Edited by clyde46 (42117 posts) -

Does anyone's PS4 actually download patches when it's on standby? Because mine doesn't, and I can't figure out why. I've set it in the settings, yet I still have to download patches manually. I don't understand. Is this a glitch?

Do you have PSN+?

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (85372 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@foxhound_fox: I actually don't consider myself a fanboy. I prefer PlayStation products but I don't take it to a level of fanaticism.

As an example, I don't go around basing Nintendo and Xbox for the sake of basing and I don't attack others for their preferences.

You are excusing Sony for leaving out this feature. That's the epitome of fanboyism.

#43 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2630 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Do you have PSN+?

Yep. I think it's a glitch or something. I googled it and there was a big thread on reddit.

#44 Posted by jonesy1911 (3461 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: That's a fair point from your perspective. I don't have your experience with a slow internet connection. Pausing should be added for people with these problems but more importantly they should let you queue stuff instead of everything downloading at once.

#45 Edited by bobbetybob (18884 posts) -
@Telekill said:

Or chalk it up to yet another shitty design flaw in the new consoles which continue to be worse than their predecessors in functionality. At least the games look nicer though right, that's all that matters.

#46 Posted by Telekill (3948 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: Actually no. It's a feature that doesn't effect me one way or the other. Therefore it's not necessary in my opinion. Does it effect others? Sure, but frankly, I've been done caring about most others for quite some time.

#47 Posted by DocSanchez (1105 posts) -

Never noticed that. Seems strange too because you can on the vita.

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@foxhound_fox: Actually no. It's a feature that doesn't effect me one way or the other. Therefore it's not necessary in my opinion. Does it effect others? Sure, but frankly, I've been done caring about most others for quite some time.

Then why are you here?

#49 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37533 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: That's a fair point from your perspective. I don't have your experience with a slow internet connection. Pausing should be added for people with these problems but more importantly they should let you queue stuff instead of everything downloading at once.

Yeah even that would be nice, as it stands it just downloads everything at once spreading the connection out and not letting me prioritise one game or download over another. I wanted to update Killzone and started downloading Don't Starve at the same time thinking I could pause Don't Starve and just focus on the update, but I couldn't

#50 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5024 posts) -

one of the bigger questions is.....when is my PS4 going to get the "Suspend-Resume" feature Sony promised me :(